Start by marking “Odd and the Frost Giants” as Want to Read:
Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  13,879 ratings  ·  1,837 reviews
In this inventive, short, yet perfectly formed novel inspired by traditional Norse mythology, Neil Gaiman takes readers on a wild and magical trip to the land of giants and gods and back.

In a village in ancient Norway lives a boy named Odd, and he's had some very bad luck: His father perished in a Viking expedition; a tree fell on and shattered his leg; the endless freezin
Published September 22nd 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2006)

Stacey
Each time I read something by Gaiman, I think, “This. This is where he excels.” Whether it's a fairy story (Stardust,) or a children's story (Coraline.) Or the melding of American Mythology with a new Mythology of his creation (American Gods, Anansi Boys.) Maybe it's something vaguely steampunkish and other-worldly, like Neverwhere. Sometimes it's when I revist the complexities in Sandman.

Or maybe I'm not actually that fickle, and I just like the way his phrasing and ideas are like mainlining s
Jason Koivu
Odd and the Frost Giants is such a short and easy read, you'll gulp it down in an instant and be shouting to Neil Gaiman, "Next!"

This is the most childish Gaiman story I've read yet and that's saying something. But it's not saying something as negative as some might take it. Odd... is intended for the kiddies.

It's not a terrible introduction for youngsters into the realm of Norse mythology. In it, a crippled boy meets a few anthropomorphic animals who turn out to be outcast gods, who need this
Magdalena
A beautifully written story inspired by Norse mythology and aimed at children that is bound to bring smile to your face. Gaiman, as always, delivers!
Mario
A wonderful book to start off a year with.
Neil Gaiman truly is one of best authors ever.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Odd and the Frost Giants was a quick, but very rewarding book to listen to on audio. The author himself narrated, and his voice is very pleasant to listen to. He knows his characters best and animated them as richly as he had intended them. The Norse mythology elements were interesting, and I loved how Mr. Gaiman injects a humorous view of the constant strife between the Aesir and the Frost Giants. He embodies the traits of Odin, Thor, and Loki very well, and their animal forms fit what characte ...more
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. An excellent children's story set in the world of Norse mythology. I listened to the audio version of this book (read by Neil Gaiman himself) which really added to the enjoyment of the story. Definitely one to read out loud to the kids until they are old enough to enjoy his more mature books.
Monica!
Neil Gaiman needs to stop being so readable. Seriously. I should not find a dinky novella so vastly entertaining, especially when it’s aimed at kids twenty years younger than me.

Sigh.

But he is so readable, and I am so vastly entertained, so I will try to get over it.

Odd and the Frost Giants is cute little Norse mythology type of book, with a likeable hero, a cast of miscellaneous gods and goddesses (and Loki, who seems determined to show up in every book I’ve read recently), a fairly sympatheti
Gaiman does a lot of things really well, but I love his work best when he is playing with myth and folklore. That includes the Sandman, American Gods, lots of his short stories, and most of his work for children and young adults; sure, some of the myth is of his own making, but I think it fits nicely in with the more traditional canon.
It's not as richly conceived or populated as many of Gaiman's books or stories. That said, it doesn't need to be. It's a myth and a fairy tale and a coming of age
Nikki
It was probably more fun listening to Neil Gaiman read Odd and the Frost Giants than to read it. He's a good reader -- not all authors are good at reading their own work, but he is: he brings it to life, giving each character a distinctive voice without it sounding at all forced.

The story itself is a simple one, based on the gods of Norse saga with a few wry references to events mentioned in the Prose Edda (Loki turning himself into a mare, for example). There's a surprising number of references
Eric
Jun 18, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neil Gaiman fans
This little book, which was short enough for me to read in a single sitting, reminded me a great deal of Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North, as the length and appearance of the books were similar, they are both from highly imaginative authors, and both featured talking bears. While not one of the more important works of his career, it is a great addition to Gaiman's works, aimed at a similar audience to The Graveyard Book.
Lyn
Odd and the Frost Giants is a short novel by Neil Gaiman probably intended for a young adult audience, or younger, or older; it is a fun, fable-like story.

Odd is a young Viking boy who has an adventure amongst a setting in Norse mythology. A fan of American Gods will recognize Gaiman’s voice and a fan of DreamWorks film How to Train Your Dragon would also like this short work.

description
Mark Wilkerson
I very much enjoy exploring the worlds that Gaiman creates, and upon first opening the pages, I was ready to be transported to these fun worlds. When Odd, a crippled boy with a vivid imagination, wanders into the world, I thought, "Okay, here it comes..." And, indeed, when Odd meets Thor, Odin, and Loki (Wow!) I thought that finally, I would get a tale worthy of these epic characters. And what did I get?

SPOILERS AHEAD................................................................

I got three wh
Ben Babcock
Kat
Basic plot: Odd is, well, a bit odd and goes on an adventure to get the frost giants out of Asgard.

What a wonderful, little book this was! Gaiman's whimsy is in full effect in this story about growing up. As sad as I was that it was very brief, I have to give it to Gaiman for knowing his craft well enough to know how long a story should be and actually following through with that knowledge. The tie-ins to Norse mythology are fun and in line with traditional Norse myth.

It's a great "starter" chap
Daniel
I love books that can bring you tears of happiness when you finish it. This such a book. It's a short story but full of feel and lite humor. Clearly this a book aimed at children but still beautifully written.

Recommendation.
Louize
During Mother's Day, my family and I had the pleasure of seeing THOR at the movies. And yes, Chris Hemsworth is absolutely charming and *divinely cut* (exactly how my niece described him).

Neil Gaiman's Thor is also charming, if I may point out, for a bear. And very lucky indeed to have Odd on his side. I wish Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz thought of him when they wrote the script for the movie. Odd could have smiled his way through the gates of Asgard. But then, again, Chris can smile too... and
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
A short, sweet story filled with lots of wry little touches. Probably helps if you know a bit about some Norse mythology, but probably not a necessity - just helps to get some of the jokes.

A good story, a nice lesson, well told and with humor. I approve. :)
Darkshadow
Yorumun orijinali: http://kitaphayvaniningunlugu.blogspo...

Odd ve Ayaz Devleri, Neil Gaiman'ın Türkçe olarak yayımlanan son kitabı. Kitap henüz Perşembe günü çıkmıştı ve Cuma günü benim elimdeydi. Eh, Neil Gaiman söz konusu olunca beklemeye hiç mi hiç gelmiyor, efendim. Çünkü neymiş; Neil bir harikaymış! Bana hasret çektiren, "ah olsa da okusam!" dedirttiren nadir yazarlardan kendisi. Çok seviyorum çok, öyle böyle değil. Karanlık, aynı zamanda eğlenceli tarafını, tuhaf huylarını, her şeyini.

San
Chris
Danielle Barclay
Written by Neil Gaiman for World Book Day in the UK, Odd and the Frost Giants, seems to have been penned with a real dose of magic in the quill! From the moment I began reading this whimsical story about the son of a sea-faring Viking, set in ancient Scandinavia, I experienced an instant connection with Odd, and was transported through time to a simpler world who's inhabitants place value on craft and physical strength. Odd and the Frost Giants is a coming of age story about a young boy faced wi ...more
Callista
Nov 05, 2011 Callista rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julia Andersen
A lovely book. Not being very familiar with Norse mythology, I don't know if the story is based on an established one, but it's a delightful story. Cosy like a cup of hot chocolate on a snowy day. Full of vivid description and wry humour. I liked Odd's determination, his calmness, and his infuriating smile; and his connection to his mother and his decision at the end were touching. Thor as a bear, Loki as a fox, and Odin as an eagle--fantastic. Loki is so full of it. And the illustrations by Bre ...more
Elisa
Ieri sono andata in biblioteca, nella zona per bambini, ho cercato Neil Gaiman e ho trovato tre libri. All'inizio li ho presi tutti, poi mi sono ricordata della mole di libri che ho da leggere e ho preso solo questo, senza nemmeno sapere di che cosa parlasse. E' Neil Gaiman, quindi ci va bene.
Sono tornata a casa e poco prima di iniziarlo ho capito che parlava di vichinghi e di mitologia nordica e non potevo essere più felice di così. Neil Gaiman + vichinghi + mitologia nordica = ELISA MUORE.
Graz
Jessica
A fun fable, set in Norway, where an unwanted young man encounters the Norse gods and frees Asgard from the Frost Giants.

Lovely little book! It's always nice for me to read a book that portrays medieval Norway in a good light, since Norway is my passion. This story was a bit like Erik the Viking for kids!
Ashlee Willis
A short, sweet, charmingly fun story. The first I've ever read by Neil Gaiman. It was creatively written, and I loved that it included some of my favorites...Thor and Loki. Great for all ages!
Sercan Çelik
çok güzel bi hikayeydi
Sarah Mayor Cox
I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman’s work. His writing ranges from the macabre to the whimsical and he is one of the stars on the international literary scene with an amazing website and a regular string of tweets.

In Odd and the Frost Giants, Gaiman takes a very simple reluctant hero trope and turns it into a quirky tale of friendship, lateral thinking and acceptance. Gaiman is a master storyteller who has such a laconic way of relating a tale and slipping in important detail:

There was a boy called
Lara
The story of how Odd saves Asgard (not to mention Midgard) with a smile...

I really liked this one--it feels like a story that's been passed down through the oral tradition, like something that would be told at a campfire while huddled against a cold, dark night--Gaiman did a great job of creating that sensation. It takes place in ancient Norway, and involves the Norse Gods--Thor, Odin, and Loki--as well as a few others from Asgard and neighboring places, and stories about that crew are always ki
Kate
This was a cute story. I knew that it was based on Norse myths and for some reason (probably the bear) I thought it was based on the "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" myth but that is more like "Beauty and the Beast" with a polar bear as the beast (at least according to what I read on SurLaLune Fairytales).

Odd is a young crippled boy whose runs away from home one winter after his widowed mother has remarried. He encounters a fox who leads him far into the wilderness, where he comes upon a bear
Cherie
It was a very nice retelling of a Norse legend of the Asgard gods, Odin, Thor, and Loki and seemed to imply at the end that the boy Odd may have been our boy Bod (From the Graveyard story) in a "different" form.
In brief: Odd is a young man, whose leg has been severly smashed and broken when a tree fell on him in the forrest. He does not fit in the community and runs away to live alone in the forrest. He is not alone long, when he meets an eagle, bear, and fox. The animals are the gods from Asga
Michael the Girl
Alright, alright, I admit to ordering this book from Amazon UK. It wasn't going to be in the US until the fall, and that was just unacceptable. It's the World Book Day edition, so it cost 1 pound to buy and like 10 to ship.

It's a charming little Gaiman fable, more in the vein of Interworld than Coraline. Odd (a real Scandinavian name) has an infuriating smile and a run in with some Norse Gods. However, there's only one Frost Giant (truth in advertising people!!). But it's sweet and short and I
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford)
  • Earwig and the Witch
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Runemarks (Runemarks, #1)
  • Giants of the Frost
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Peter and Max
  • The Ice Dragon
  • Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl
  • Loki
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • The Night Fairy
  • The Scarecrow and His Servant
  • Ghost Knight
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.” 63 likes
“Talk is free but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.” 35 likes