Start by marking “Odd and the Frost Giants” as Want to Read:
Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  20,047 Ratings  ·  2,544 Reviews
In this inventive, short, yet perfectly formed novel inspired by traditional Norse mythology, Neil Gaiman takes readers on a wild and magical trip to the land of giants and gods and back.

In a village in ancient Norway lives a boy named Odd, and he's had some very bad luck: His father perished in a Viking expedition; a tree fell on and shattered his leg; the endless freezin
Published September 22nd 2009 by HarperCollins (first published March 3rd 2008)

PorshaJo
What a wonderful way to follow up Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Odd and the Frost Giants is a story about Odd, a young boy, and his meeting with Loki, Thor, and Odin. Er, though not in their normal form, in animal form (a fox, a bear, and an eagle). Odd is on his way with the trio to Asgard to save it from the Frost Giants. Who, thanks to Loki naturally, put them into animal form and has taken over Asgard.

What a great story. Wonderful to read this one to young children. The story is short and the bo
Stacey
Each time I read something by Gaiman, I think, “This. This is where he excels.” Whether it's a fairy story (Stardust,) or a children's story (Coraline.) Or the melding of American Mythology with a new Mythology of his creation (American Gods, Anansi Boys.) Maybe it's something vaguely steampunkish and other-worldly, like Neverwhere. Sometimes it's when I revist the complexities in Sandman.

Or maybe I'm not actually that fickle, and I just like the way his phrasing and ideas are like mainlining s
Natalie
“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.”

This tale follows Odd, a young Viking boy, left fatherless following a raid and in his icy, ancient world where there is no mercy for an unlucky soul with a crushed foot and no one to protect him. Fleeing to the woods, Odd stumbles upon and releases a trapped bear. And then Odd's destiny begins to change. description
The eagle, bear and fox Odd encounters are Norse gods, trapped in animal form by the evil frost giants who have conqu
Brad
Feb 21, 2017 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2017-shelf
What a delightful counterpoint to Norse Mythology!

I mean, yes, it's written for middle-grade and Thor and Loki are cute and Odin is inscrutable as always and the frost giant is funny rather than scary because, after all, EVERYONE is afraid of Freya's tongue... but it's still a real delight!

I don't care what anyone says about Gaiman. The man can write a classy tale no matter where or what he's writing about. This is, after all, only a retelling of an old story, but it's a very particular and beau
Cait (Paper Fury)
In my quest to read all the Gaiman of ever (a worthy goal, tbh) I picked up Odd and the Frost Giants and expected marvellousness. I got...eh. I mean, it was good, don't get me wrong. But I felt it lacked a bit of Gaiman's general zaniness?? But I mean, when working with Norse mythology it's kind of hard to get any MORE zany than the original weirdness of Loki turning into a horse. A mare, by the way. aHEM. But I have to admit Coraline and Fortunately, the Milk felt far more alive and bizarre and ...more
Lyn
Feb 21, 2013 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd and the Frost Giants is a short novel by Neil Gaiman probably intended for a young adult audience, or younger, or older; it is a fun, fable-like story.

Odd is a young Viking boy who has an adventure amongst a setting in Norse mythology. A fan of American Gods will recognize Gaiman’s voice and a fan of DreamWorks film How to Train Your Dragon would also like this short work.

Sr3yas
Mar 15, 2017 Sr3yas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The noise of the blade hitting the thick icicle cracked off the hills around them, making echoes that sounded as if an entire army of men was hammering on the ice…

"Odd and the Frost Giants" is a short, simple, magical and disarmingly beautiful tale that draws from Vikings and Norse mythology. This is basically a children's book that features a much nicer version of beloved mythological characters!

The tale introduces Odd, who is odd. Yes, it is odd. *Oh, this is so confusing.* Odd is the name
Trish
Sep 27, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As mentioned a few days ago already, this is the special edition of a story Neil Gaiman wrote and published for World Book Day in the UK in 2008.

The book is about the titular viking boy Odd (meaning "the tip of a blade" and not "strange"), who had a terrible accident after his father died in an equally terrible accident (they are not the most lucky of people), leaving Odd with a disability. He is shunted in the village for being weak until one day he leaves to go back to his father's old hut in
Jason Koivu
Aug 03, 2010 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Odd and the Frost Giants is such a short and easy read, you'll gulp it down in an instant and be shouting to Neil Gaiman, "Next!"

This is the most childish Gaiman story I've read yet and that's saying something. But it's not saying something as negative as some might take it. Odd... is intended for the kiddies.

It's not a terrible introduction for youngsters into the realm of Norse mythology. In it, a crippled boy meets a few anthropomorphic animals who turn out to be outcast gods, who need this
Phrynne
Nov 21, 2013 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little fantasy aimed at older children but absolutely fine for adults too. The story is based on old Norse tales and is woven around Thor, Odin, Loki and our young hero whose name is Odd. Only 120 pages of well spaced text, I read this book in the time it took me to prepare dinner. I still enjoyed it very much as I do nearly everything this author writes:)
Leila
This is an unusual little book. It is an excellent introduction to Norse Mytholoogy for children and an easy and delightful read for adults, especially those with some knowledge of Norse Mythology. Odd is a pleasing personality..a crippled young boy with a grim and physically painful life. He has a lot of innate courage and an extremely calm attititude and he decides to set out on a quest - a familiar theme in both adult and children's books. However he sets off with some sensible preparations t ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Odd and the Frost Giants was a quick, but very rewarding book to listen to on audio. The author himself narrated, and his voice is very pleasant to listen to. He knows his characters best and animated them as richly as he had intended them. The Norse mythology elements were interesting, and I loved how Mr. Gaiman injects a humorous view of the constant strife between the Aesir and the Frost Giants. He embodies the traits of Odin, Thor, and Loki very well, and their animal forms fit what characte ...more
Magdalena
Jan 01, 2015 Magdalena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written story inspired by Norse mythology and aimed at children that is bound to bring smile to your face. Gaiman, as always, delivers!
Mario
Jan 01, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to start off a year with.
Neil Gaiman truly is one of best authors ever.
Lata
Feb 21, 2017 Lata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
3.5 stars. Read this to my child, who really enjoyed it.
Richard
This is Neil Gaiman's take on Scandinavian mythology for a younger audience. But there are so many things in it that make it more than a modernized version of a myth. We get Norse society from the point of view of a young boy. We get allusions to Viking raids, the haunting sadness of Odd's mother, and the unpleasantness of life with an unwelcoming stepfather. Life, despite its fleeting beauties and touches of humour, can be "nasty, brutish and short."

Odd, like many of Gaiman's heroes, is an odd
Annet
Dec 18, 2015 Annet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third Gaiman, a fairy tale for kids but also for the older people, like me :-) As a kid, I used to love all fairytales.... I enjoyed this short novel, 'inspired by traditional Norse mythology'. The pencil drawings in the book also beautiful. 3.5 going on 4. Entertaining short read!

It's about a boy named Odd, going on an adventure with a bear, an eagle and a fox...

There was a boy called Odd, and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place. Odd meant 'the tip of a
Nikki
It was probably more fun listening to Neil Gaiman read Odd and the Frost Giants than to read it. He's a good reader -- not all authors are good at reading their own work, but he is: he brings it to life, giving each character a distinctive voice without it sounding at all forced.

The story itself is a simple one, based on the gods of Norse saga with a few wry references to events mentioned in the Prose Edda (Loki turning himself into a mare, for example). There's a surprising number of references
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. An excellent children's story set in the world of Norse mythology. I listened to the audio version of this book (read by Neil Gaiman himself) which really added to the enjoyment of the story. Definitely one to read out loud to the kids until they are old enough to enjoy his more mature books.
Paul
Sep 11, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
Odd is a young Norseman, who lost his father after a Viking raid. He is partly disabled after a tree fell on his leg. His mother has now re-married and his new step-father cares little for him preferring his own children. This year the winter is dragging on and on, and having now had enough of home, heads out to a hut his father owned in the forest.

In the forest he comes across a bear with his paw stuck; he frees it. The bear is grateful, and Odd learns that the bear and his companions, a fox an
Eric
Dec 22, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Neil Gaiman fans
This little book, which was short enough for me to read in a single sitting, reminded me a great deal of Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North, as the length and appearance of the books were similar, they are both from highly imaginative authors, and both featured talking bears. While not one of the more important works of his career, it is a great addition to Gaiman's works, aimed at a similar audience to The Graveyard Book.
Amina
Jan 07, 2017 Amina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me when I come across a Neil Gaiman book:

description

Me when I finished reading his book:

description

THERE WAS A BOY called Odd, and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place. Odd meant the tip of a blade, and it was a lucky name. He was odd, though. At least, the other villagers thought so. But if there was one thing that he wasn’t, it was lucky

Odd's dad was killed on one of the village's raids, his mother remarried, his step-father had children of his own - four sons and three daugh
Gaiman does a lot of things really well, but I love his work best when he is playing with myth and folklore. That includes the Sandman, American Gods, lots of his short stories, and most of his work for children and young adults; sure, some of the myth is of his own making, but I think it fits nicely in with the more traditional canon.
It's not as richly conceived or populated as many of Gaiman's books or stories. That said, it doesn't need to be. It's a myth and a fairy tale and a coming of age
Jessica
Even more fabulous with the amazing illustrations by Chris Riddell. I have both the original paperback the cute little blue hardcover, and now this, and this is the one to get. I read this aloud to my kids, and we had to pore over each page to look at the wonderful pictures and decorations. The story is charming, of course, and reads exactly like one of the eddas, but more accessible to children. We laughed hardest over Loki as a beautiful mare. He almost looked like some kind of Disney horse!
Meli
Jun 02, 2016 Meli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó. Es bastante lírico de alguna forma, y adoré la narración y la ambientación.
Kelly's ( Next Best Read )
'Talk is free but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.'

I can't get enough of Neil Gaiman. I listen to this via audio book ( Neil Gaiman as Narrator ) and it was most delightful. I know I'm bias when it comes to this author as he's one of my favorite but it was worth it's weight in gold. I'm going to re read it later with my son because it's just the type of story he'll enjoy.

Actual Rating: 4.25
সালমান হক
আমি জানি না গাইমযানের লেখার মধযে কি এমন আছে কিনতু ভদরলোক যাই লিখেন না কেন, একদম মুগধ হয়ে পড়ে ফেলি।
এই বই এর টারগেট মূলত কম বয়সী পাঠক। অড নামের সদা হাসযোজবল খোঁড়া এক বাচচা ভাইকিং কে নিয়ে কাহিনী। এডভেঞচার ই বলা যায়। নরস মিথোলোজি বেসড। সাথে অসাধারণ কিছু ইলাসটরেশন ও ছিল। সব মিলিয়ে দুরদানত একটা বই :)
Giuuu (Giulia Messa)
Il mio primo Neil Gaiman. Avevo già sentito parlare della capacità descrittiva dell'autore e non posso che confermare; sembra davvero che ,durante la lettura, ti si materializzino davanti il mondo è i personaggi descritti nelle sue pagine. Per quanto riguarda la storia l'ho trovata davvero dolce e di piacevole lettura, amando già molto la mitologia norrena. Bellissima caratterizzazione dei personaggi e degli animali a loro correlati. Avanti con il prossimo Gaiman!
Ron
Nov 01, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poche persone hanno la forza di immaginazione e la creatività di Gaiman. Ogni storia è un'esperienza nuova e innovativa, profonda, mai banale o superficiale. Gaiman non si limita a narrare fatti, costruisce allegorie, insegna, interpreta la realtà attraverso nuove realtà.
Odd e il gigante di ghiaccio è un racconto di poche pagine in grado di lasciare un piccolo segno nella vita del lettore. Non è solo una storia per bambini, anche se lo sembra. La semplicità del racconto è il veicolo con il quale
Ish Jones
Feb 07, 2017 Ish Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautiful whimsical tale involving Norse gods, a small boy with a limp and an adventure. Although it was a short book, it was a lot of fun and the illustrations were stunning. With being interested in Norse mythology, i read this at the perfect time.
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • The Sea Fairies
  • The 13 Clocks
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Earwig and the Witch
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Peter & Max
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Graveyard Book Volume 2
  • Tam Lin
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)

“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.” 73 likes
“Talk is free but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.” 44 likes