Start by marking “Smoke Screen” as Want to Read:
Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  8,781 ratings  ·  557 reviews
Bestselling author of Ricochet delivers another searing thriller packed with betrayal, corruption, and revenge. Five years ago arson made heroes of Charleston city officials. When one hero is murdered, a disgraced firefighter must search through the lies and mystery for the truth. Another blistering novel of romantic suspense.

When newswoman Britt Shelley wakes up to find h...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke Screen

Christa
Smoke Screen was the best Sandra Brown book that I have read in quite some time. It is a terrific romantic suspense novel that focuses more on the suspense, but still manages to have a quite satisfying romance. The romance isn't given a lot of time in the book, but the hero and heroine spend most of the story in the company of one another, and there is plenty of tension and interaction between them. I found both the hero and heroine to be very likeable characters, although the actions of the her...more
DarienMoya
^^PISSED ME OFF IN ALL KINDS OF WAYS!^^

Jesu, never had a book pissed me of so much, and it’s not because it sucked, but because it was totally awesome. The characters are so vile I wanted to roast them over my fire pit of hatred. Sandra Brown has true talent when it comes to writing and it is no wonder I have been a fan of hers for over 12 years. I am talking reading them at the age of thirteen, I blame her books for creating my perve personality, high praise I tell ya.

So this book is clouded i...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK & EBOOK; AUGUST 8, 2014

I enjoyed this slightly more than the first time I read it, 5 years ago, but I still feel it was too long. I read the e-book back then and this time I listened to the audio along with the book. It's a 14-hour plus audio which, IMO, could have been cut back to ten or eleven. When an 18-hour Karen Rose juggernaut doesn't feel as long, I know it does need trimming!

I wanted to re-read this because it was my SB comfort time of the month, because I needed...more
Jane Stewart
I enjoyed much of it, but toward the end I realized things were missing or weak.

Raley was an arson investigator. He was drugged and set up for something that caused him to lose his job. Five years later Britt, a TV news reporter, was drugged and framed for murder. Both events had something to do with Jay. Raley contacts Britt and together they try to figure out what’s going on, as hit men are after them.

I prefer discovering clues throughout the story to uncover the mystery. In this book, almost...more
Melissa
Paced too slowly. Nothing really happened for 350 pages and then *poof* a confession and it was over. The "romance" scenes were typical rather than sexy. The ending was not shocking at all. I dragged myself through this read. Two things that bothered me: (view spoiler)...more
~Ya~
Mean Streak, Lethal, Envy, and Deadlines, four of Brown’s books I have read so far are really cool. Unfortunately, Smoke Screen is way below my expectation:/

The characters in Smoke Screen pretty much give away all the information and explain their actions to the readers. This approach automatically kills the suspense and highlights the predictability.

There is no buildup of emotional connection and sexual tension between LCs. Sex scenes are awkward.

The story has many 2-D or 1-D characters and a...more
Fani
A very nice, fast paced suspense which had a couple of unexpected twists, especially near the end, to keep me on my toes. The romance part was nice, even though it took little space, and the hero wonderful. I'm glad I read it.
Jaime
Another pretty good one from Sandra Brown, though I made the mistake of reading this too closely to the poorly done Standoff, which also featured a reporter and the man she (inadvertently?) harmed. There’s generally not a lot to be surprised about in these sorts of books — you know the male and female leads (Raley and Britt, in this case) are going to eventually join together both for their crusade and for their libidos — but I still enjoy the journey we’re taken on. Though I had some suspicions...more
Becky
When I was asked to join GoodReads by my sister, I told her I don't tend to read 'lofty' material, nor do I like to get a 'brain strain' while I'm reading for fun. So...

Smoke Screen isn't intellectually challenging. However, I have always loved Brown. (My favorite is still Chill Factor.)

This book has everything I enjoy reading - a murder, a mystery, a cast of characters, great protagonists and a little romance all wrapped together.

Pam
My first Sandra Brown book ~ This romantic/suspense was easy to read and nice for light reading and a contemporary murder mystery. Will probably read more of her books.
Dannaca
Michael
Aug 18, 2009 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans, romantic mystery fans.
Recommended to Michael by: Enjoy the author's writing.
TV newswoman Britt Shelly wakes up in bed with heroic detective Jay Burgess. She doesn't remember going to bed with him and when she tries to awaken him, he's dead.
Britt got her first big break in a story of a fire at the Charleston P.D. and the heroic rescue that occurred there. Jay Burgess and three other city employees resued others to safety.
Firefighter Raley Gannon kidnaps Britt and tries to make her tell him what went on at his friend Jay's apartment but Britt can't remember anything. Then...more
Nikki
"Smoke Screen" was an excellent read. Real page turner. Newswoman Britt Shelley woke up to find herself in bed with Charleston PD detective Jay Burgess, though she remembers nothing of how she got there or how he wound up dead. Burgess was one of four heroic city officials who risked their lives five years earlier leading others safely from a catastrophic fire. Raley Gannon, a lifelong friend of Burgess, was later assigned to investigate but never finished his inquiry because in one night his ca...more
Carolyn F.
Audiobook - playaway - from library.

Britt meets with a friend for a story she might be interested in and wakes up the next morning not remembering anything with him lying dead beside her. They think she's the killer. She's kidnapped by Raley who 5 years earlier had a similar thing happen to him, which she reported on. Now they have to figure out who killed Jay and set both of them up.

I really didn't care for this book, they seemed to be constantly trying to shock the bad people into a confession...more
Robert McKim
Solid hit

I liked how the story hung together with the details and the development o the characters.
At times it was a little slow and directionless but needed the space to give the reader time to digest the flow.
Lenore
This was an ok read.
I found the reason behind it all a bit weak and unoriginal, to be honest.
I also found that those FBI agents were way too smart, almost miracle men. They almost figured it out before the main characters did. I mean, really?
Then, it was the romance. Way too weak and unconvincing. I could have done without it.
All in all, this was alright. The story was decent and I sympathized with the characters but it didn't grab me. It felt more like a story waiting to become a Hollywood b...more
Carole
TV newswoman Britt Shelley is on her way up in her profession until waking up next to a dead man changes everything. Even though she calls the police, they immediately think that she killed him, especially when they find out through the autopsy that he was smothered by his pillow. She tells the police that she has no memory of what happened after she got to his apartment, that she must have been given a date rape drug while they were at the bar where she had met Jay, the victim and her friend of...more
Nicole
Sandra Brown is one of my favorite suspense authors! She is phenomenal at weaving intricate storylines and unfold perfectly. She masterfully leads you along, never revealing enough so that you catch on to the who-dun-it but always giving you enough to keep you interested. I had no idea who the guilty party was in this story until just before they were revealed! Brown also throws in a bit of romance but it is usually fairly tame and is kept to a minimum.

Britt is a newsanchor who wakes up one mor...more
Sheetal Dash
I have heard that Sandra Brown can always be counted on for an excellent story. This book was no exception. I was engaged throughout.It's more suspense than romance which is a nice change. Smokecreen is a great title because everything seems normal but beneath the surface nobody is what they seems to be. Britt is on to a potential newsstory thanks to her friend Jay until she wakes up to find him dead besides her and not able to remember what happened. Her only ally is Raley a man she basically r...more
Dale Safford
This book was really good and it was interesting how the author tied one mystery in with another. When Sandra Brown writes a mystery instead of her temptuous love stories, she does it up good! Those love stories get a little sickening, and I don't want to waste time reading them.

Newswoman Britt Shelley wakes up in bed with Jay Burgess, with no idea how she got there, and he is ... dead. She flees, and is helped by Raley Gannon, Jay's lifelong friend. Five years earlier there had been a fire at t...more
Titah
Smoke Screen ini ceritanya tentang Britt Shelley, wanita reporter yang tiba-tiba menjadi pembunuh Jay Burgess. Britt disangka menjadi pembunuh Jay hanya karena kebetulan dia orang terakhir yang bertemu Jay, dan kebetulan pagi itu dia bangun disamping Jay yang kebetulan sudah mati. Lalu kebetulan pula hasil autopsi mengatakan Jay mati karena sesak napas akibat dibekep sama bantal yang kebetulan ditemukan tak jauh dari jasad Jay yang kebetulan lagi terdapat sidik jari Britt di bantal itu. Haha.. y...more
Sidran
Lisa
I absolutely love crime thrillers - both books and TV shows. I really liked the story in this book, lots of twists and turns, but I have to give it a negative review because of the cussing and sexual references. Other than that, I found no fault with it.
Jill Demarco
Great suspense novel...the author always keeps you wondering what will happen next. Not sure I'm crazy about all the "sexual details" described in her books, but the general plots are very good.
Cheryl
A very good, classic Sandra Brown novel. Had me guessing all the way to the end, of course! I really enjoyed all the twists and turns and of course the heated tension between Raley and Britt!
Mical
Ms. Brown really knows how to tell a story. Couldn't put it down till I finished the book. Loved it!
Ren
Won the signed English Edition. Thanks, Sandra Brown!
(No need to buy the translation version then :P)
Imel
ternyata Smoke Screen ini ada filmnya, tp bentuk film tv :P ky serial nora robert
Kathy Martin
Britt Shelley is not having a good week. When Jay Burgess, an old hook-up, calls and says he has something to share with her, TV reporter Britt is eager. What she doesn't expect is to wake up the next morning without her memory and with Jay Burgess' dead body next to her. Given that he is a homicide detective and one of the four heroes of the police station fire some years earlier, the police are very suspicious about Britt's story.

Before she can convince the police that she is also a victim, sh...more
Sie Fung
Kelar dalam sehari.. Tumben bisa cepat bacanya..
Sanda Brown Super...: Smoke Screen 2 2 Jul 29, 2014 07:12PM
Smoke Screen SOOOO like another book SPOILER!! 1 21 Jul 09, 2013 05:46PM
  • Paradise County
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Up Close and Dangerous
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Dark Summer
  • Most Likely to Die
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), SMOKE SCREEN (2008), PLAY DIRTY (2007), RICOCHET (2006), CHILL FACTOR (2005), WHITE HOT (2004),...more
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Ricochet Chill Factor Envy