Start by marking “Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance” as Want to Read:
Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance
Preview

Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Translated from the original Sanskrit by the noted Victorian Orientalist, Sir Richard Burton, these ancient Indian folk tales influenced such later works as 1001 Arabian Nights and Boccaccio's Decameron. As revealing today as they were in their own time, these stories will entertain and delight modern readers while illuminating the life and customs of classical India. This ...more
Published February 1st 1993 by Park Street Press (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Vikram and the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vikram and the Vampire

umberto
I think reading this fine translation by Sir Richard F. Burton will do for those interested in ancient tales since they can learn more from those wise sayings and witty remarks from the Vampire's ten stories. Interesingly, this book written in Sanskrit, "the language of the gods" (p. xvii) has been famous since centuries ago. However, I wonder if it's widely known/read as compared to "1001 Arabian Nights".

Moreover, reading Sir Richard's Preface to the First (1870) Edition may interest some newco
Riku Sayuj
saddened that I could remember only one of these stories that I used to read so ardently every month in my childhood...
Paul
Dfordoom
Vikram and the Vampire, translated and adapted by Sir Richard Burton, is a group of tales told by a baital (not really a vampire but a kind of spirit who can inhabit dead bodies) to King Vikram (described by Burton as the King Arthur of India). The stories are somewhat in the style of the tales of the Arabian Nights - if you enjoy the Arabian Nights or you enjoy fairy stories you should like Vikram and the Vampire. Most of the tales have a humorous or ironic slant to them. They’re a lot of fun.
Marvin
Sep 16, 2013 Marvin marked it as to-read
I have the 1870 first edition which I found in a book store in Bath. It's the oldest book in my collection. I bought it for 16 pounds (about 25 dollars at the time) and I have no idea if that was a good price in 1983 or not. I would love to read it but the paper is so delicate I'm afraid to. I better go out and buy the paperback!
Catherine Gordon
Think I missed most of the significance of this because I didn't get the references. Characters were often killed off as "moral messages" and the overall message of the book seemed to be that the only way you can "capture" your vampire is by keeping your mouth shut no matter how tempted you may be to offer an opinion.
J. Boo
Burton, most famous for his translation of "1001 Arabian Nights", also translated this group of Hindu tales, surrounded by a framing story (I detect a theme). Or perhaps "adapted" is a better word -- there is a lot that seems either impossible or unlikely to have had its origins in Sanskrit.

If you are worried (or hopeful) as to the Vampire, you're in luck (or out of it). The titular Vampire is an unrelated-to-Dracula corpse-possessing spirit, who tells its tales to Prince Vikram with the intent
Ash
Again I don't remember how many tales I have actually read or whether I have read this edition of the tales or some other, but these were my favourites too.
"King Vikramadithya and Bethal" being the original name. But the TV series was awesome!!!
Mitch
I enjoyed this collection of Hindu fairy tales. Granted that some of the references were foreign to my culture, but Sir Richard goes a long way toward both explaining things and making wry commentary either about Hindu culture or humanity at large.

These comments are also in the narrative of the stories, and they provide at least as much entertainment value as the stories themselves.

This truncated collection of 11 stories (the original had 25) are put into the mouth of a Baital, which is a non-We
Ramya
My father used to tell me stories of Vikramadithya, a wise king, who has to engage in a battle of the wits with a ghost vampire. Oddly enough there was always a lesson of wisdom or morals hidden in each story. Checking out British translation with colonial interpretation of the stories. Curious to see how far off Sir Richard Burton is or not from the original. Hard to tell how faithful a translator he is -- he seems to try hard to keep the spirit of translation faithful but his references are so ...more
Benjamin Spurlock
An enjoyable read indeed. While the story suffers from being dated, the characters- particularly the Baital- were quite enjoyable, and the stories he told were quite amusing. As a source material for other stories, like many classics end up being, it's certainly got a lot of potential, and the glimpse of a world long gone can help to revitalize the worlds an author might be trying to create.

Of course, though... this is a world gone by, twice over. It's a British imperialist reciting the stories
Justin
What I liked: Learning about ancient Hindu tales, ethics, morality, and culture. It was enlightening and fun. If you're going to read it, read it like you would Grimm's Fairy Tales or Bullfinch's Mythology. Do not expect a 'vampire' feel. I was expecting more of a vampire feel or something more supernatural. Most of it though was a vampire/demon possessing the body of a young boy in order to tell stories. Don't get me wrong, the tales were very intriguing and enlightening, I just felt that they ...more
Lavanya U
Need to explore about this book to purchase
Pumsish
เรืองเลาของเวตาลประหลาดดีและตังคำถามไดปวดตับสมำเสมอ

เคยอานนิทานเรืองนึงคลายๆนี เรืองนันเปนนกอะไรสักอยางกับกษัตริยอีกสักองคทีอยากจับนกจอมไหวพริบตัวนีกลับวังมาก
เงือนไขของนกตัวนีรูสึกจะเปน..หามพูดประโยคตองหามวา "โธ..นาสงสาร" (หรือ "ไมนาเลย" อะไรประมาณนีแหละ ..ก โธ..อานมานานมากแลวนีนา)
ระหวางทางนกกจะเลานิทานรันทด,เขาใจผิด,ไมนาเลย ตางๆนานา
ชอบเรืองนกนีมากกวา แตจำไมไดจริงๆวาชือเรืองอะไร
Peeravich Paoprayoon
โดยสวนตัวชอบสำนวนโบราณกำลังดีแบบนัน เนือหา
อานเพลินดี แมเรืองราวจะเกิดในยุคโบราณ แตมีคติความคิดหลายสวนทียังนมสนใจอยูในปัจจุบัน สำนวนอารมณขันกมีแทรกใหบันเทิงใจอยูเรือยไป

ประเดนของเรืองแทบทุกเรืองเกียวของกับการแตงงานและผูหญิง หลายๆตัวละครเปนทุกขเพราะความรัก เหนเชนนีแลว กเกิดความพึงใจในความเปนโสดปัจจุบันแหงตนอยูเปนปริมาณหนึง
Laura Larson
The interpretations of the text are witty and amusing, so long as you don't mind a myriad of sexist commentary (for both sexes), but it's not the most accurate "translation". Many of the stories tend to sound the same after you start to get into the book (much like other collections of myths do), but it was an entertaining read.
Mameow Sawedsiri
เปนนิทานซอนนิทาน เหมือนไดลับคมสมองคิดตามแตในหลายๆครังกไมเหนดวยกับพระราชาตรีวิกรมเสนในการชังนำหนักวาใครผิดถูก ...more
Michael Kenny
Weird tales translated from Sanskrit by the translator of the better known Arabian Nights series.
Velvetink
Sep 10, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read
Shelves: history, horror-etc
vampire folklore - India.

*note to self. Copy from A.(DIFFERENT COVER. SCAN WHEN READ)
Leslie Jonsson
Good, hard to follow at times due to the writing style
Krittayakan
สนุกและลุนดี ...more
Lakhbir Singh
Lakhbir Singh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mohit Gupta
Mohit Gupta is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
Preeti
Preeti is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
A.M.
A.M. marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • Asterix Conquers America
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living
  • Mystery of the Flying Express (Hardy Boys, #20)
  • Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • White Water Terror (The Nancy Drew Files, #6)
  • For Tibet, with Love: A Beginner's Guide to Changing the World
  • The White Feather
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Film and the Legend
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • เพชรพระอุมา (ตอน 01) ไพรมหากาฬ (4 เล่ม บรรจุกล่อง)
  • Vivekananda: A Biography
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Kali: The Feminine Force
  • The Hebrew Goddess
  • สี่แผ่นดิน เล่ม 1-2
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita