Start by marking “Dancing in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Dark

Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  1,234 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Trying to mix business with pleasure, KEY News correspondent Diane Mayfield has brought her children and her sister to the New Jersey Shore town of Ocean Grove to investigate a story on "girls who cry wolf" for the season premiere of "Hourglass," television's highly rated news magazine.

Published November 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dark

Sally Wolf
Oct 05, 2010 Sally Wolf rated it really liked it
Dancing In The Dark by Mary Jane Clark ISBN 9780312481172

This book is all about a troubled young girl that goes missing. When she is found three days latter no one seems to believe her story until it happens again. Diane a Key News Reporter has to cancel her trip to the Grand Canyon and instead head to Ocean to interview the lost girl who everyone believes “Cried Wolf” What she finds there is more than what she bargained for. I found that this book takes a good look at what a troubled teen will
Marca
Jun 12, 2015 Marca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally likeable lead characters, but improbable plot. News reporter Diane Mayfield is sent to Ocean Grove, New Jersey to investigate the phenomenon of “girls who cry wolf” – they claim to have been kidnapped, held, and freed. Diane is sent to report on the latest girl, Leslie Patterson. The police suspect Leslie staged her own disappearance, even though she was found bound and gagged. Leslie claims that the kidnapper made her dance with him in the dark (weird, but provides the book title). Th ...more
Cindy
May 24, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice mystery & cast. No gore, graphic sex, or language. Pro-homosexual, Christians are represented (as normally) slow-witted, uncaring & generally unnecessary. No noticeable editing errors in text edition. Eliza Foss gives a good reading. © audio, TTS-enabled eBook & hard/soft cover available.
Julie
Choppily and sometimes sloppily written. I didn't care about any of the characters. Calling them characters might even be a bit generous for most of the names in the book. It's a lightning-fast read, though, for those who appreciate that.
Katie
Mar 16, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick Review: Great book by the daughter of Mary Higgins Clark! Intriguing mystery, compelling characters, and a definite page-turner. I actually figured out the perpetrator before the book ended, first ever for me! Look forward to more books by Mary Jane Clark, a talented mystery writer.
Kim
May 11, 2013 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick easy read. Author has a choppy style with many characters but does a solid job of tying together at end of book.
Kelley
Feb 01, 2009 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
just mindless entertainment... nothing really to write home aboutl
Dina
Feb 28, 2017 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprise ending that I didn't see coming. 4 stars
Jennifer Wardrip
For Diane Mayfield, the last few months of her life have been spent trying to keep her children, Michelle and Anthony, on an even keel. After her husband was sentenced to prison for his part in the financial upheaval of a company who cooked its books, she's been the sole parent and money-maker in a family that once had it all. Her position with KEY News as a correspondent for its Hourglass newsmagazine forces her to give up the family's vacation to the Grand Canyon and instead haul her kids and ...more
Linda Smith
Ocean Grove, New Jersey seems like an idyllic small beach town - until young women start disappearing. News correspondent Diane Mayfield is assigned the story and goes to the site with her two children and younger sister. This was not the vacation that Diane had planned for her family but, with her husband in jail, it is not an assignment that she can afford to turn down. Dancing in the Dark is a good mystery with a sub-plot about anorexic young women that is quite compelling. However, while thi ...more
Carol
May 16, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like NJ
A lot about this book cover seemed to be designed to take advantage of the author's similar name and appeal to fans of Mary Higgins Clark. It's why I picked up the book. But once I saw that it took place in Ocean Grove, NJ, I had to read it.
I've walked the boardwalk in Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, and Spring Lake. I am familiar with the old Casino and I rode the carousel in that beautiful old Victorian building as a child. I've played with the Ocean Grove Summer Band, including the final concert o
Joy
Sep 07, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a classic Mary Jane Clark novel, same suspenseful writing, vivid images, excellent plot, story is fast-paced and never boring. One could finish this in one sitting just like her other works, this is the 3rd book I've read and I'm never frustrated, you'll never guess the culprit. Although she adapted the formula of everyone is a suspect by giving false clues, you'll still be dumbfounded and you have to read it again. I especially liked the part her heroines are broadcast journalists, she wri ...more
Carolyn Russett
Trying to mix business with pleasure, KEY News correspondent Diane Mayfield has brought her children and her sister to the New Jersey shore town of Ocean Grove to investigate a story on "girls who cry wolf" for the season premiere of Hourglass, television's highly rated news magazine. Diane lands an exclusive interview with a troubled young woman whose tale of being abducted and held against her will for three terrifying days had been disbelieved by the authorities. No sooner does Diane finish t ...more
Gina
Jan 30, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was about KEY, a broadcast news program that went to cover a story about a missing girl in Ocean Grove. Diane Maysfield, KEY new correspondent, had to change her vacation plans with her family to cover the story. The story actually went from a missing person, to murder. Meanwhile, her children were very unhappy about the change in plans. Her son soon found things to occupy his mind like taking pictures, and her daughter was into excessive dieting and exercise.

There
Jaime
I wasn’t particularly thrilled with this. It wasn’t bad, per se, it just didn’t excite me. The mystery is well-enough constructed that I was surprised by who the bad guy was, but I never really connected with Diane or her kids. She was always the victim, and I just found nothing about her to be the least bit interesting, not even her jailed husband. Her daughter was even worse — stereotype, through and through.

The part that really rubbed me wrong was the undertone the entire book had about eatin
Beth
Jul 26, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
In Dancing in the Dark, news correspondent Diane Mayfield is forced by her boss to cancel her vacation to the Grand Canyon to cover a story unfolding in Ocean Grove, New Jersey. Leslie, a young woman suffering from aneroxia had been missing for 3 days and while she claimed she was abducted and held captive the police believe that she cried wolf and faked her own disappearance. That is until a 2nd girl from Ocean Grove goes missing....

As a fan of Mary Higgins Clark I was hesitant to pick this up
Tricia Douglas
May 28, 2013 Tricia Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was my first book by this author. The mystery was interesting and I had trouble guessing the "who done it" part. (But then, I usually do!) The storyline was okay, not developed as much as some of my favorite mystery writers. The characters were okay for the most part, too. When victims begin showing up dead or missing, Diane, a news correspondent comes to investigate even though she was supposed to begin her vacation with her family. Therefore, her children come with her to this beach commu ...more
Louise
Feb 09, 2010 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Mary Jane Clark book I’ve read and I totally enjoyed it. DANCING IN THE DARK was a gripping and page turning story right from the beginning until the end. All throughout the story I thought for sure I had the killer figured out, only to turn a few pages ahead and have my theory shot down in undeniable flames.

Clark’s writing reminds me of authors such as Agatha Christie and Hitchcock, always keeping the reader in suspense, always guessing, wondering, and pondering WHO dunnit??
Pam
Apr 06, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because I got right to the end and hadn't figured out who was doing all the damage.

One thing I noticed about this writer's works is that she has several book titles that are lyrics to a Beatles song. I'm curious about that so will read those or look at her website to see if that was intentional! The titles are as follows:

Do You Want to Know a Secret?
Do You Promise Not to Tell?
Let me whisper in your Ear
Close to you
Nobody Knows
Nowhere to Run
Hide Yourself Away
Carol Schultz
I'm still looking for good detective novels. So far I like Mary Jane Clark but not as well as Dick Francis, JA Jance, or Mary Higgins Clark. But she is good and I'll probably read all her books before I'm finished.

I have not enjoyed the last two novels I have picked up of Mary Jane Clark. This is the thing..one of the books had a man who electrocuted a dog in a pool. Anyone who knows me knows I can't stomach animal cruelty and had to put the book down I was so disturbed. I will try another book
Shirley J
My first read by Mary Jane Clark. The book is an easy-paced read and could easily be finished in one day. Although the story is intriguing, I felt several characters were underdeveloped within the plot.

A sub-plot about eating disorder therapy linking several characters together by association seemed to dominate the story more than the mystery itself.

I found Monkeewrench by P J Tracy more interesting than Dancing in the Dark.
Becky Schulman
Apr 24, 2016 Becky Schulman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very quick read!
TV reporter, Diane Mayfield, is sent to Ocean Grove, New Jersey to investigate a story on "girls who cry wolf". It becomes a story about missing and murdered girls. Diane's own children become involved as they get caught up in the drama during their vacation. Several possible suspects are introduced throughout the chapters which adds to the suspense of who the actual culprit is.
Kristi
Aug 03, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diana
Dec 04, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! This book was outstanding; right from the very first chapter. The suspect could have been any of 5 characters, and you didn't know who until the last couple pages when he/she was revealed. A very, very good read. I'd like to see the tented community of Ocean Grove. Sounds like a nice vacation town. Great setting, great characters, interesting story. I've never read Mary Jane Clark before. Now I think I'll go find one of her other books.
Teresa TL Bruce
A reporter uncovers the source of frightening disappearances in a summer resort town. Several young women in this story face serious challenges in the form of eating disorders and cutting. I believe the author intended to educate and raise awareness about these issues, but I found the portrayals disturbing.

As much as I have enjoyed other books by this author, I do NOT recommend this one.
Mar 24, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. Fast-paced mystery about the disappearance of some young girls with anorexia in a New Jersey shore vacation town. A reporter and her crew are sent to cover the disappearances. I thought the ending would be very predictable, but it was not. It was very engaging, but read like a Sue Grafton or Mary Higgins Clark--not very deep, but entertaining.
Feb 16, 2016 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I figured out "who done it" about half way through the book. I recommend you not read the blurbs on the cover and in back of the book before you read it...they provided me with the clue to figuring it out, although it was, to me, the most likely conclusion.... However, it is not as fun to read a mystery when you figure it out... Oh, well.
Renee
Aug 19, 2010 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Mary Jane Clark books that I have read thus far, this would be my least favorite in that I really didn't care for the story plot. There seemed to be too many characters that had issues to contend with. Overall, the plot seemed to be very fragmented and awkward. I didn't really care for any of the characters either.
Skip it!
Margaret
Sep 04, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl is kidnapped and returned ... it is believed that she is crying "wolf". No one believes she has really been kidnapped. A news crew is dispatched to the area to cover the story. Then another girl disappears and turns up dead. And another.

There are a number of people who are suspicious characters, but can you really guess who's behind these kidnappings? It may take you by surprise!
Kathy Sandlin
Jan 15, 2008 Kathy Sandlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of the Mary Jane Clark. Kind of found her by accident since she was right with the Mary Higgins and Carol Higgins in the bookstore. Good reads....probably better than the Carol Higgins but not as good as the Mary Higgins books. They are nice fast reads. I'll just add a few to the list.
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Twisted Creek
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Killing Spree
  • The Perilous Journey of the Donner Party
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • Halloween Murder (Lindy Haggerty, #4)
  • A Perfect Love (Texas Hearts, #2)
  • Over the End Line
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)