Dancing in the Dark

Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  901 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Trying to mix business with pleasure, KEY News correspondent Diane Mayfield has brought her children and her sister to the New Jersey Shore town of Ocean Grove to investigate a story on "girls who cry wolf" for the season premiere of "Hourglass," television's highly rated news magazine.

Diane lands an exclusive interview with a troubled young woman whose tale of being abduc...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dark

Cindy Barnett
Nice mystery & cast. No gore, graphic sex, or language. Pro-homosexual, Christians are represented (as normally) slow-witted, uncaring & generally unnecessary. No noticeable editing errors in text edition. Eliza Foss gives a good reading. © audio, TTS-enabled eBook & hard/soft cover available.
Sally Wolf
Dancing In The Dark by Mary Jane Clark ISBN 9780312481172

This book is all about a troubled young girl that goes missing. When she is found three days latter no one seems to believe her story until it happens again. Diane a Key News Reporter has to cancel her trip to the Grand Canyon and instead head to Ocean to interview the lost girl who everyone believes “Cried Wolf” What she finds there is more than what she bargained for. I found that this book takes a good look at what a troubled teen will...more
Julie
Choppily and sometimes sloppily written. I didn't care about any of the characters. Calling them characters might even be a bit generous for most of the names in the book. It's a lightning-fast read, though, for those who appreciate that.
Kim
Quick easy read. Author has a choppy style with many characters but does a solid job of tying together at end of book.
Kelley
just mindless entertainment... nothing really to write home aboutl
Carol
May 21, 2011 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like NJ
A lot about this book cover seemed to be designed to take advantage of the author's similar name and appeal to fans of Mary Higgins Clark. It's why I picked up the book. But once I saw that it took place in Ocean Grove, NJ, I had to read it.
I've walked the boardwalk in Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, and Spring Lake. I am familiar with the old Casino and I rode the carousel in that beautiful old Victorian building as a child. I've played with the Ocean Grove Summer Band, including the final concert o...more
Jennifer Wardrip
For Diane Mayfield, the last few months of her life have been spent trying to keep her children, Michelle and Anthony, on an even keel. After her husband was sentenced to prison for his part in the financial upheaval of a company who cooked its books, she's been the sole parent and money-maker in a family that once had it all. Her position with KEY News as a correspondent for its Hourglass newsmagazine forces her to give up the family's vacation to the Grand Canyon and instead haul her kids and...more
Joy
It's a classic Mary Jane Clark novel, same suspenseful writing, vivid images, excellent plot, story is fast-paced and never boring. One could finish this in one sitting just like her other works, this is the 3rd book I've read and I'm never frustrated, you'll never guess the culprit. Although she adapted the formula of everyone is a suspect by giving false clues, you'll still be dumbfounded and you have to read it again. I especially liked the part her heroines are broadcast journalists, she wri...more
Jaime
I wasn’t particularly thrilled with this. It wasn’t bad, per se, it just didn’t excite me. The mystery is well-enough constructed that I was surprised by who the bad guy was, but I never really connected with Diane or her kids. She was always the victim, and I just found nothing about her to be the least bit interesting, not even her jailed husband. Her daughter was even worse — stereotype, through and through.

The part that really rubbed me wrong was the undertone the entire book had about eatin...more
Beth
In Dancing in the Dark, news correspondent Diane Mayfield is forced by her boss to cancel her vacation to the Grand Canyon to cover a story unfolding in Ocean Grove, New Jersey. Leslie, a young woman suffering from aneroxia had been missing for 3 days and while she claimed she was abducted and held captive the police believe that she cried wolf and faked her own disappearance. That is until a 2nd girl from Ocean Grove goes missing....

As a fan of Mary Higgins Clark I was hesitant to pick this up...more
Tricia Douglas
This was my first book by this author. The mystery was interesting and I had trouble guessing the "who done it" part. (But then, I usually do!) The storyline was okay, not developed as much as some of my favorite mystery writers. The characters were okay for the most part, too. When victims begin showing up dead or missing, Diane, a news correspondent comes to investigate even though she was supposed to begin her vacation with her family. Therefore, her children come with her to this beach commu...more
Dad
I read this book a while ago, but I remember it was a very good mystery - I look foward to reading more of Mary Jane Clark's books
Angela Guidetta
This was the most ridiculous and contrived book I have ever read. The storyline, the dialogue, all of it. I can't remember making so many ugh faces while reading a book.
Janet M
Good. Didn't figure out whodunit. Not my favorite by the author, but it was a nice easy read on a Sunday afternoon.
Louise
This was the first Mary Jane Clark book I’ve read and I totally enjoyed it. DANCING IN THE DARK was a gripping and page turning story right from the beginning until the end. All throughout the story I thought for sure I had the killer figured out, only to turn a few pages ahead and have my theory shot down in undeniable flames.

Clark’s writing reminds me of authors such as Agatha Christie and Hitchcock, always keeping the reader in suspense, always guessing, wondering, and pondering WHO dunnit??...more
Julie
Easy read but still a good story. I really had no idea who the kidnapper was until it was revealed.
Carol Schultz
I'm still looking for good detective novels. So far I like Mary Jane Clark but not as well as Dick Francis, JA Jance, or Mary Higgins Clark. But she is good and I'll probably read all her books before I'm finished.

I have not enjoyed the last two novels I have picked up of Mary Jane Clark. This is the thing..one of the books had a man who electrocuted a dog in a pool. Anyone who knows me knows I can't stomach animal cruelty and had to put the book down I was so disturbed. I will try another book...more
Ruth E. R.
Enjoyed the story and the characters, and the descriptions of Ocean Grove took me away to a wonderful place!
Pam
I liked this book because I got right to the end and hadn't figured out who was doing all the damage.

One thing I noticed about this writer's works is that she has several book titles that are lyrics to a Beatles song. I'm curious about that so will read those or look at her website to see if that was intentional! The titles are as follows:

Do You Want to Know a Secret?
Do You Promise Not to Tell?
Let me whisper in your Ear
Close to you
Nobody Knows
Nowhere to Run
Hide Yourself Away
Renata
My first read by Mary Jane Clark. The book is an easy-paced read and could easily be finished in one day. Although the story is intriguing, I felt several characters were underdeveloped within the plot.

A sub-plot about eating disorder therapy linking several characters together by association seemed to dominate the story more than the mystery itself.

I found Monkeewrench by P J Tracy more interesting than Dancing in the Dark.
Diana
Wow!! This book was outstanding; right from the very first chapter. The suspect could have been any of 5 characters, and you didn't know who until the last couple pages when he/she was revealed. A very, very good read. I'd like to see the tented community of Ocean Grove. Sounds like a nice vacation town. Great setting, great characters, interesting story. I've never read Mary Jane Clark before. Now I think I'll go find one of her other books.
Kristi
Judith
"Dancing in the Dark" started off well, but about 1/2 way through I found myself rushing a bit to get to the end. Also to me it was obvious who the kidnapper/killer was. I figured that out way before the book ended so it came as no surprise. Still--it was an enjoyable read.
This is the first book I've read by Mary Jane Clark and I liked it enough to where I plan to read some of her other mystery novels.
Teresa B
A reporter uncovers the source of frightening disappearances in a summer resort town. Several young women in this story face serious challenges in the form of eating disorders and cutting. I believe the author intended to educate and raise awareness about these issues, but I found the portrayals disturbing.

As much as I have enjoyed other books by this author, I do NOT recommend this one.
Margaret
A girl is kidnapped and returned ... it is believed that she is crying "wolf". No one believes she has really been kidnapped. A news crew is dispatched to the area to cover the story. Then another girl disappears and turns up dead. And another.

There are a number of people who are suspicious characters, but can you really guess who's behind these kidnappings? It may take you by surprise!
Julie
3 1/2 stars. Fast-paced mystery about the disappearance of some young girls with anorexia in a New Jersey shore vacation town. A reporter and her crew are sent to cover the disappearances. I thought the ending would be very predictable, but it was not. It was very engaging, but read like a Sue Grafton or Mary Higgins Clark--not very deep, but entertaining.
Joy
Good book, fast read, somewhat good surprise ending. I would recommend this book. It is a lighter suspense/murder mystery, I think. Something for people who like this genre, but are on vacation or something like that. Characters were very likeable and real and author did a good job of throwing suspicion in a lot of different directions to keep you guessing.
Betty Ann Baer
This was a fast read for me. I enjoyed the story of people that went to the beach for a summer vacation every year and slept in tents. All the girls had eating disorders and self inflicting wounds disorders. One girl went missing for a few days and then the story goes on. I'd recommend it for a light read mystery book. It has good language.
Maureen H
Good jersey shore mystery!!! Enjoyed it!
Mandy Huot
This book was "OK" for me....It didn't do much for me, but it was still interesting. I wasn't a fan of how extremely short some of the chapters were, though.....it made me feel like I read a lot of chapters, but really didn't get very far in the book.
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • He Sees You When You're Sleeping
  • Killing Spree
  • The Wonder Worker
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • Golden Shores: Treasures Lost, Treasures Found / The Welcoming
  • Sins of Omission (Sins, #1)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis...more
More about Mary Jane Clark...
To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1) Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1) Nobody Knows (KEY News #5) It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2) When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1)