Start by marking “Flight, Volume 4” as Want to Read:
Flight, Volume 4

Flight, Volume 4 (Flight #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,266 ratings  ·  72 reviews
A full-color graphic anthology of short stories by some of the hottest creators in the field, FLIGHT, Volume Four is the newest addition to a great success story in graphic novel publishing.
Since 2004, when the first Volume of Flight burst on the scene, the publication of subsequent volumes has become a highly anticipated annual event. Artists are constantly contacting K
Library Binding, 344 pages
Published July 10th 2007 by San Val (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Volume 4

Sesana
Another Flight anthology, featuring overall very good art with writing that varies from very good to not very good at all. But oh, so very pretty.
Tung
Image Comics is one of the largest comic book publishers in the world. They made moves into online comics far ahead of the establishment publishers DC and Marvel. Image supports a legion of young professional and non-professional cartoonists. In 2004, they published their first anthology of these cartoonists’ creative efforts (Flight, Volume One). Volume Four continue the showcasing of young graphic talent. The tales told in these works span the entire spectrum of contemporary comic stylings fro ...more
Jessica Severs
There’s not a more fitting title for this stunningly illustrated anthology, with its breathtaking flights of imagination.
Editor Kazu Kibuishi compiles the work of more than 20 top-notch creative minds for the fourth volume of “Flight.” The stories range from whimsical to soul-searching, some without words.
There’s a story that reads like a fable about two women so caught up in a business rivalry that their greed to outdo each other ends up consuming them, or the one about the bunny who outwits t
Lupe Dominguez
A lot darker, it seems, the Flight anthology is becoming. Sorry to go all Yoda. It just seemed much darker in its story telling than the previous ones. Still amazing and beautiful. I think the best ones that stood out to me were The Window Makers and ...Hope for the Best. But truly there are dark ones that still tell gorgeous stories like The Forever Box and Food from the Sea. But the funniest? Mystical Monkey!
M
The Flight anthology again returns with its 4th incarnation, offering a little something for everyone within its pages. As per usual, Michel Gagne opens with his Saga of Rex tale and its youthful mystery and magic. A massive cyclops just wants to make friends in Israel Sanchez's imaginative saga, while JP Ahonen has fun with a young couple at the beach who consider the "joys" of parenting. A boy and an invader enjoy a game of catch in Bannister's darkly fun contribution, while the inhabitant of ...more
Tjibbe Wubbels
I found that most of the short stories in this collection are rather insubstantial. There is great art and great imagination, but the story lines seem to be a fragment of a fragment of a thought (if that makes any sense at all). It is a collection of stories by illustrators, rather that a collection of stories by graphic novel writers, like Popgun, Vol. 1.

Still, it's a decent enough collection. Some stories can be enjoyed for their great art work (Igloo head and Tree head (whose story is funny,
Joshua
The art in these is always a fun experience and perhaps that's what keeps drawing me back to them. When it comes to story though its still a very mixed bag. This one seemed to have less that I enjoyed over the other volumes so far. The one nice thing is that the addition of "Flight explorer" to the flight line up has drawn some of the junior targeted stuff away. Don't get me wrong I enjoy junior graphic novels as well, but it gives the collection a bit more cohesion for me. But over all it still ...more
Becca
I took the copy of this that I read back to the library before I could review it... *face palm* So I can't name the specific stories I liked the best, but I did enjoy a fair few of them in this volume. Though, like always, there were still just as many that I didn't enjoy or I found just a little too weird/confusing/unsatisfying. That appears to be how I'm always going to feel about this graphic novel anthology series. I wouldn't say that's necessarily a bad thing though. :3
Malak Aly
Jun 01, 2013 Malak Aly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE IN THE UNIVERSE
Recommended to Malak by: Diwan Bookstores
I'm already 2 stories into the book and I'm rendered speechless with the excess creativity I was just bombarded with. My mind is LITERALLY boggled! -as usual.
I shall not rest until I've collected all of these series and I shall someday make my own in shaa Allah!!!

Update after finishing the book:
The quality of the stories is not the same as it used to be in the first volumes.. Maybe the idea of "Flight-themed" stories that was applied in the very first volume will always be the most appealing to
Pigeonsquid
Favorite stories: "Igloo Head and Tree Head" by Scott C., "To Grandma's" by Clio Chang, "It's Dangerous to Sleep" by David Roman, "The Window Makers" by Kazu Kibuishi, "Cortina" by Fabio Moon, "The Story of Binny" by Lark Pien, "Twenty Four Hours" by Andrea Offerman, "The Saga of Rex: Castaway" by Michel Gagné, "Dinosaur Egg" by Raina Telgemeier, "Little Trouble in the Big Top" by Vera Brosgol.
Liz
I was very happy, but not a bit surprised to see Flight Volume 4 on the list of Cybils graphic novel nominees.
Sometime last year, I discovered Flight 3.The cover art by Kazu Kibuishi floored me, and I decided that, whatever the book might contain, I had to own it so I could stare at the cover more conveniently. I was delighted to discover that it was just as good the whole way through--chock full of offerings from gifted illustrators and writers.
Likewise, Flight 4 has something for everyone. Fli
Millenia
This is a collection which puts most of its emphesis on the visuals, resulting in plenty of eye candy. However, this also means there is some shabby storytelling and very few memorable tales. Maybe this volume happens to be one of the weakest, but I'm not interested in finding out.
Shelli
Flight is twenty-five graphic-shorts from twenty-five authors/illustrators, some stories better than others; all worth checking out. A perfect way for readers to be exposed to new authors they may have not otherwise found.
J.T.
I do not consider myself to be much of a comic artist, enthusiast and nor do I seek comic art often, but the sheer quality of the artwork as well as the curious and well executed story telling make this collection of graphic stories well worth the buy. The stories and artwork range in style and genre and make for an interesting read (and look) that I find myself looking back on again and again. True, some of the stories and artwork styles will not interest you, but that is like any collection... ...more
John
Spectacular, as are the rest of the volumes in this series. Of particular note, methinks, are Michael Gagne's opener, Vera Brosgal's sexist but funny circus tale about strongmen squabbling over the same woman, Kibuishi's wonderful "Windowmakers," Mensinga's beautifully drawn "Forever Box," Scott Campbell's ever hilarious episode in the lives of dudes Treehead and Igloohead, Raina Telgemeier's child friendly "Dinosaur Egg," and Fabio's also beautifully drawn "Cortina."

What also makes this and eve
Amelia
I love this series. I love the collection of different artists and stories. It's like a treasure box.
Chris
Mar 05, 2008 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Flight series; people who enjoy characters with igloos on their heads
Any fan of the graphic novel/comic artform should by now be familiar with the Flight series. Comprised of many short stories by up and coming artists, the Flight books have spearheaded the movement to demonstrate the versatility of this medium.

This volume is good, but not quite as great as previous installments. There are a couple standout pieces ("Treehead and Igloohead" was a personal favorite) but overall this edition didn't quite live up to my expectations. A good buy for fans of the Flight
Its difficult to review each of these Flight books individually, since generally both the stories and the art quality in all of them are continuously amazing and full of creative talent. Flight is really the "Metamorphoses" of our time. While Ovid wrote more about the creation and history of the world, Kibuishi and his team of creative writers and artists write on a smaller scale. Not about world changes but about individual changes. And while some of the short stories can be on a more depressin ...more
Devon
Guys this might be my fav so far of this anthology !!!
Kirsten
The Flight series is a great showcase for some of the weirdest and most beautiful comic art out there. The book itself is very high-quality with glossy pages, and the colors practically leap off the pages. Overall, the tendency is for the stories to be slanted more toward art than story, but there are glimpses of things rich and strange. I would recommend this for all public libraries, and definitely high school libraries as well. It is my sense that it would fit well with a middle school collec ...more
Tia
These "Flight" collections are indeed close to paradise for me. The art is just breathtaking. The stories run the gamut (personal tales to folklore to sci-fi fantasy to steampunk), and my favorites often don't involve words at all. These are the kind of books that can remind you what you love about books--why, handy as the Internet may be, you would still rather read printed words, enjoy printed art. To curl up with a bound book in your hands, loving the turn of each page for the wonder it bring ...more
nira
This one was ok. My favorite story was "The Forever Box" by Sarah Mensinga.
Lily
Another great anthology. "The Saga of Rex: Castaway" by Micheal Gagne, "The Window Makers" by Kazu Kibuishi, "The Forever Box" by Sarah Mensinga, "To Grandma's" by Clio Chiang, and "Mystical Monkey" by Ryan Estrada were my favorite. All were beautifully drawn and had endings that made me pause and think about the story, although for different reasons for each. I look forward to adding all the volumes of Flight to my collection, and hope that this anthology continues.
Dustine Rene
This was the first Flight volumne I got.

My top favorite is:

"The Forever Box" by Sarah Mensinga

I also enjoyed:

"The Blue Guitar" by Neil Babra
"The Storm" by Pascal Campion
"Cortina" by Fábio Moon
"Twenty-four Hours" by Andrea Offermann

The rest were alright. One I found so-so.
Casey
Jan 30, 2008 Casey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes pictures with their words
This book is really wonderful, I think that the graphic storytelling of the artists in the Flight anthologies is consistantly higher than most anything else I've seen. Their backgrounds primarily in film are evident in the way the art flows. i also really liked that it wasn't people from mainstream comic books at all, mostly artists working in film, animation or illustration. This is highly reccomended... Oh, also the reproduction is top notch...
Rachel
Beautiful art, very inconsistent quality of storytelling.
Ian
All entries were pretty, very few were worth reading.
Favorites: Kazu Kibuishi & Graham Annable, as always. Newly discovered: Michael Gagne and Lark Pien. Andrea Offermann has a style vaguely reminiscent of one of my favorite artists- Francois Schuiten. The most compelling is Sarah Mensinga’s fable of a girl who locks herself in a magic box to escape her grief. The award for funniest definitely goes to Scott Campbell for “Igloo Head and Tree Head.” Hilarious!

Eric
The Flight collections are always pleasing and full of outstanding artwork. My favorites in this may have been "Igloo Head and Tree Head" by Scott Campbell (hilarious), and Twenty-Four Hours by Andrea Offermann -- which left me shaken for its similarity to a dream story that my mind told me as I was crossing the border into the state of sleep one fine night. Eerie. No, really.
Mykl
More than in some of the other Flight volumes the good stories were really, really good and the so-so stories were very so-so. Thus the four star rating while the great stories could have been given a six.
Faves: Saga of Rex, Food from the sea, Windowmakers, Igloo Head and Tree Head and Roomie Pal. Last two mentioned rate up their with Polaris from an earlier volume.
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Creature Tech
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Koko Be Good
  • The Saga of Rex
  • Rose (Bone, #0)
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Ojingogo
  • Rice Boy
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales
  • There Are No Stars in Brooklyn (Octopus Pie)
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...

Flight (8 books)
  • Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 2  (Flight, #2)
  • Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)
  • Flight, Vol. 5 (Flight, #5)
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4) Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)