Start by marking “The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1

The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 (Magic Kingdom of Landover #1-3 )

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,797 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Capture the fantasy, thrills, and far-flung adventure of the first three novels in Terry Brooks’s enchanting Magic Kingdom of Landover series–now for the first time in one gripping volume.

Chicago lawyer Ben Holiday can’t fathom what lies ahead when he purchases Landover–a magical kingdom of chivalry and sorcery–from Meeks, the mysterious seller who placed the ad. Weary and
Published August 18th 2009 by Del Rey (first published March 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Kingdom of Landover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Kingdom of Landover

An Odd1
"The Magic Kingdom of Landover" (V1: #1-3) by Terry Brooks all build up to bangup fight finales. I don't find humor in the gnomes eating dogs, cats, or trying to. Middle-aged male wish fulfillment night, bathing in a warm spring and meeting a lovely green fae who says "I am yours" (both in birthday suits) gives me a bad taste in #1, so I prefer #3 where he's more committed to all his friends.

"Magic Kingdom for Sale" #1 For $1M, Ben Holliday, 39, recently widowed lawyer, buys the crown of Landov
Mike Groff
Total pulp fantasy. Nice and simple formula. Something bad happens. Things go from bad to worse. Something bad happens. (Again?) Things keep getting worse, (Really? They can’t be that dumb, and there’s only 20 pages left.) Dues ex Machina. All problems solved. Falling action. Happy Ending. -The End. First story was ok. Second, not event that good. Third was the best of the three. The third almost makes me want to keep reading the Landover stories. Almost. This is not necessarily a bad writing. I ...more
Brent Brubaker
The Magic Kingdom of Landover Volume 1 is an omnibus containing the first three novels in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. The individual books that make up volume 1 are: Magic Kingdom For Sale-Sold, The Black Unicorn and Wizard at Large.

The book starts out really strong...a middle-aged lawer who lost his wife three years ago is searching for something in his life. He is tired of the day to day stress of a world without meaning and adventure. That is when he decides to buy a magical kingdom
Landover is a traditional fantasy kingdom in need, despite all its magic, of a king to save it. Ben Holiday, however, is anything but traditional king material: he's a trial lawyer from Chicago with a pragmatic approach only sometimes affected by thoughts of his dead wife.

The book is really more a series of related novellas. They do follow in sequence, but each one begins with a rehash of the events in the previous, so it'd even be possible to read them as standalones. That said, each one ties u
The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 contains the first 3 books of a currently 5 book series. I am going to give a general description of the main characters, then summarize my experience with each of the three books in this volume.

Ben Holiday: Usually the main protagonist, Ben is a trial lawyer from Chicago who, having lost his wife and unborn child to a car accident, and having seen an ad in a Christmas wish catalog, decided to purchase a magic kingdom called Landover for the sum of one mil
An altogether mediocre book, which I purchased only because it came packaged 3-books-in-1

The premise is great - a jaded lawyer, unable to overcome his sorrow over his late wife's untimely death, comes across an ad selling a magical kingdom for ONE MILLION DOLLARS (fufufufu). Skeptical, he nevertheless decides he has nothing else to lose. He purchases it and finds that, indeed, there is a magical kingdom called Landover, full of unicorns and lions and tigers and bears oh my! Unfortunately for Ben
This omnibus covers the first three books in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. Overall, each one was a very enjoyable fantasy book with an engaging story. Certainly not the height of literary achievement, especially when it comes to character dialog, but still a fun read.

Terry Brooks managed to slip some environmentalism into the first and third books, but it wasn't annoyingly pedantic like some books.

There was only one small logical fallacy with the plot line of the third book that annoyed
Dusty Craine
How do you review an omnibus of three books without giving away any spoilers? I don’t know so I’m not going to try. These are the first three books in the Landover series of fantasy novels by Terry Brooks. It is a story that is continually crossing over between our real-world Chicago and a magical Kingdom named Landover.

Book one opens with Ben Holiday, a successful lawyer and partner in a law firm who still grieves the loss of his wife, Annie. He opens a holiday catalog that is exclusive to peop
The first omnibus (#1-3) was done a day or two ago. The first book was okay. The second was slightly better, but I'm no fan of the unicorn concept so I was enjoying it but feeling uneasy at the same time. The third book was the best of the three.

Some comments on the characters:

- My favorite ones are Strabo (he's so grumpy!) and Dirk. I liked a great deal of Questor and Abernathy also.

- Ben was not up to my expectations. First of all, I don't like his name. Second, I don't like him, for no explan
B.J. Kurtz
Christal Keel
A wonderful blend of magic and the mundane.

I have loved Terry Brooks since The Sword of Shannara, and it took a lot to divest myself from the notion that fantasy and reality just shouldn't share a venue. Magic Kingdom for Sale proved that "modern fantasy" is not (and should not be) an oxymoron.
Eric Westrope
It has been many years since I originally read A Magic Kingdom For Sale...Sold! I have to say my memory of it was a bit fuzzy. Honestly, in my own personal opinion, I greatly enjoyed reading this volume which contains the first three books in the Landover series. They are just plain fun to read.
I have seen that others have rated the books 1 or 2 stars. But that is their opinion. The Landover books are for fun fantasy reading. Take a modern day lawyer and shove the lawyer in to a land where magi
I decided to average the three separate ratings of the books in this volume to get this average: 3.67

The first and last books were great. I was fully strapped in. I loved the whole idea of a person from our world buying a fantasy kingdom. there were great characters, lots of laughs and adventure, making it a great, light read. But the second book wasn't as great. It lacked what the first and last books had: this energy and "funness" to it. It bored me a little, although I still liked it. The pro
Yeah... it was ok. Not my favorite fantasy series. Not even close. But a clean, easy read, that a person can get through in about a week or so.
I've always like Terry Brooks works since reading the Shanara series. This one did not disappoint. Funny and exciting. A fun read.
Very enjoyable and fast read. It was delightful to escape to Landover with Ben Holiday! Now on to Volume 2...
This is not a series that everyone will like. It is light, and fun, and downright funny at times.
Alright. Fairly entertaining.
Great fun, great writer.
Melody Craig
This book was good, it kind of felt like a dream, sort of surreal but it was entertaining. I didn't get too drawn in to the characters though so I didn't feel like I experienced this story, but it was readable. A lot of fantasy novels are hard to get through because the authors make their characters have really long and hard to pronounce names and the fantasy places and creatures are so foreign it's hard to keep track of what's going on. Unlike most fantasy novels this book is simple to read and ...more
Jade Lauron
I like these ones alright. They remind me of a new twist on the classic tales of Oz.
Daniel Zeak
5-stars because it swept me away to Landover. Awesome read
What a wonderful book. Things move quickly in the book, which is wonderful because it keeps you interested the whole time.
I'm surprised people don't like the Landover books. I've started re-reading them and enjoy them as much as I did when they came out. If you've never read a fantasy novel and want to start somewhere, the Shannara books are the way to go though. I wish I had the time to start the whole series over again. Too many books, not enough time.
I thought this story could be really interesting (it was someone telling me about the story line that got me interested in reading this book). However, I REALLY felt that the author's writing style was very lacking and to me this really ruined the book. In fact, I only ended up reading the first book of the three in this edition.
It's inconsistent and not great literature but very fun. The first and third book are much better than the second one, although I hope this volume is the end of problems for Ben Holiday that rely on villains that were introduced in the first few chapters of the first book. Light and enjoyable and very quickly read.
I only read the first two books in this collection, they were good. Even fun, some would say, but I just did not care to read the last book, "Wizard at Large". I will probably regret this decision and at some point read it...but not now, not with my to-read pile growing larger by the minute.
This book was a very fun adventure. In my opinion, the more I read, the better it got. I think I liked "The Black Unicorn" story the best. Brooks did a great job describing the world of Landover. Sometimes I thought the descriptions were a little wordy, but vivid nonetheless. Very imaginative.
Did you ever want to check out of this world and into another and start over? This is an adventuresome fantasy tale of someone who did and Mr. Brooks writes it so well you feel like you have. One of those you don't want to put down and can't wait to get to the next one in the series.
Best Quality Swords for Sale 1 1 Aug 10, 2014 04:16AM
  • Man-Kzin Wars 11 (Man-Kzin Wars, #11)
  • Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
  • Ice Crown
  • Agent of Byzantium
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • The Cygnet and the Firebird (Cygnet Duology, #2)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales
  • A Dawn of Dragons (Dragons of Spring Dawning, #2; Dragonlance Chronicles, #6)
  • Destiny's Forge (Man-Kzin Wars, #11.5)
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Nerilka's Story & The Coelura
  • Storia vera
  • Priest-Kings of Gor (Gor, #3)
  • Once Upon a Time (Fairies of Rush, #1 & #2)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Mistshore (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Magic Kingdom of Landover (6 books)
  • Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #2)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6)
The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2) The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) The Talismans Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4) The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3) Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)

“Most of all, he needed a challenge—because that was what gave life meaning.” 3 likes