Start by marking “To Be a King (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #11)” as Want to Read:
To Be a King (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #11)

To Be a King (Guardians of Ga'Hoole #11)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,763 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
The eleventh title in this best-selling series brings Hoole to kingship and the legends to fulfilment signaling a return to the adventures of Coryn, Soren and the Band.
In this final book of the Legends trilogy Hoole reclaims the thrown of his father and goes on to wage a war against the forces of chaos, greed and oppression led by the powerful warlord-tyrants. Grank, the
Published October 1st 2006 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about To Be a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Be a King

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Capture by Kathryn LaskyWesley the Owl by Stacey O'BrienThe Owl and the Pussycat by Edward LearHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Owls
22nd out of 84 books — 47 voters
Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
146th out of 471 books — 439 voters

More lists with this book...

King Hoole
Sep 11, 2013 King Hoole rated it it was amazing
Amara
Dec 25, 2014 Amara rated it it was ok
Alexander
May 08, 2012 Alexander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was really fun to read to me. It was also an awesome adventure through N'yrthghar and S'yrthghar. What I saw as the theme of book was learn others ways to become more with them. I think the author is trying to teach us that you may look different then each other, but that doesn't mean that you can't think the same. An example of where I saw that in the book was when Hoole was withe the wolves. This is an example because he felt almost as if he was more wolf than owl. Also he was thinki ...more
Anniesse
Aug 07, 2007 Anniesse rated it it was amazing
Really the whole set. My nephew started me on these when I was recovering from surgery and staying at his house so they could watch over me. I read his 8, sent them to the bookstore for book 9, have since read book 10. I see I am behind again. I think these are among the best children's books and the best fantasy books I have ever read.
Cbilinski3
May 12, 2015 Cbilinski3 rated it really liked it
Hoole wanted to form an order of owls that would be good. But the evil hagfiends rallied and went after them. So Hoole rose an army of owls to rid the world of the hagfiends evil magic. Then in an epic battle Hoole clashes between the hagfinds in an epic war for the Ember of Hoole. To Be king is about friendship, trust, and perseverance.
Charlie
Mar 16, 2011 Charlie rated it really liked it
It is set up so that you know the ending, but not in much detail, so it's very good to read. The plot is very intricat, but it got too fast paced aroound the end, so the final battle was written too short. However, it's still a great book.
Urban Mama
Jul 30, 2013 Urban Mama rated it it was amazing
Final book of the three book prequel that covers the life and growth of Hoole as he becomes king. Any great book in the guardian journey. We are listening to the audiobook version and enjoying it immensely in this format.
Mandy
Jan 11, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I had a hard time reading the prequel arc for some reason. It rounded our fairly well in the end, but I'm anxious to get back to Sorren and the gang in the last four books of the series.
Jeri
Dec 13, 2011 Jeri rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I love how Lasky went back in time in these past few books and blended the present world with the world of the legends. Her writing is outstanding. I'd love to be able to write like this.
Elzbeth
Jun 03, 2015 Elzbeth rated it liked it
This is actually my favourite one yet. I tells how everything actually came about, how the Great Tree got its name and how Coryn was foretold.
Amanda
Jun 07, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
These books are getting too long
Aparajitabasu
Jan 19, 2011 Aparajitabasu rated it it was amazing
Book 11 and the final book of the Legends Triology, To Be A King was likable not excellent for besides a few errors, the author didn't tie up all of the loose ends as effectively as in her previous books.

The things I liked about this book in particular were the creative new characters, a new romance, and Hoole's transition from being a chick to an adult, from being a follower to a leader. Part of the book centers on the forces of evil (Pleek, Ygryk, Kreeth, and Lutta, Pleek and Ygryk's "daughter
br3ni3acb0y
Jan 26, 2012 br3ni3acb0y rated it it was amazing

Published by Scholastic, "To Be a King" is a compelling adventure story told from multiple POV's. Authored by Kathryn Lasky, "To Be a King" is recommended for every fantasy reader out there. What makes this book so enjoyable is the amazingly twisted plot and the absolutely entertaining characters.

One of the first things that caught my eye was the plot development. During the entire story, new discoveries are made as Hoole becomes determined to become the king his people need. A scene that intere

Amy
Jun 19, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Sparks
Jul 02, 2011 Sparks rated it really liked it
To Be a King is the 11 book in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole seires and the last in the three parter Leginds of Ga'Hoole written by Kathryn Lasky.In this final instalment of the 'Leagens of Ga'Hoole' 3 part seires and tells the story of how Hoole trys to undeerstand the ember and to rid the world of the Hagsfiend and thier Half-Hags. unlike other books before it where theres yousualy one or two main characters and another one where the story focuses on for a chapter or two. But in this book we get t ...more
Ashley
Sep 08, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok
Cara
Another amazing book in the series of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky.

Hoole amasses a huge army to fight against the hagfiends and the rogue forces of the North and to save his father's palace was melting from rot. Hoole's tree is infiltrated by a hag(ish)fiend that can transform though once she arrives she realizes her mission to steal the Ember is much harder than she anticipated now that she has a gizzard and begins to experience feelings.
The real Emerilla is missing only to be fou
Steven
Oct 01, 2014 Steven rated it liked it
I think this book was great but it could've been better. I did enjoy how the author transferred the plot from the previous book over to this one. The plot was, like I said, the same as the last book's - Hoole and his followers try to rid the land of the evil hagsfiends and their magic. The only major downside that I can say about this book is that it kind of rushed to a conclusion.
Eliana
Feb 02, 2015 Eliana rated it it was amazing
I read these book in second and third grade! I absolutely loved them. They inspired my love for reading, writing, and raptors!
Rachel (Sfogs)
Feb 01, 2015 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Information is gathered as Hoole readies his owls for battle.
I feel sorry for Lutta, half of each world.
Sara
Dec 11, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
These books are entertaining but FIFTEEN book in the series is too many for me! My new plan is to read through these last few books on my own quickly, and then summarize them for the kids. We haven't had as much time to read together lately and I think we're all a little weary of these owls. I have a box of children's classics that we recently inherited that I can't wait to dive into with them, so we're going to wrap up Ga'Hoole as quickly as we can :) I would recommend these for about a 10-yr-o ...more
Jessie Packer
GREAT!!
Juliette
Sep 21, 2015 Juliette rated it it was ok
Meh.
My (now 9 year old) son and I were not huge fans of this trip back in time.
Aimee
Feb 19, 2012 Aimee rated it liked it
Just like the past few books the 'band' is only mentioned in the prologue and epilogue. This story once again is about the past and Hoole's story. I still really enjoy the wolves and polar bears in the story. It's really cute how the author incorperates them into the story.
Aaron
Mar 06, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
Really thankful this section of the series is over. It was interesting a all to know the history, but all of the un-needed villains and characters with weird names, "magic," and whatever really made these last 3 a drag. On to the final 4.
Kayla
Jan 08, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the way the story line was portrayed, and the characters were funny. But, the "hole" that I mentioned in my last review of this book The Coming of Hoole still left me seeing loose ends.
Katarzyna F
Jun 21, 2016 Katarzyna F rated it really liked it
There was one disappointment - I found Lutta a nice material for playing bigger role in the whole story, unfortunately both her role and she herself ended dead...
Lu
May 15, 2016 Lu rated it it was amazing
I'm glad the author is giving us the history of the great Ga'Hoole tree. It helps make the way she took the series after the original six books make a lot more sense.
Barbara
Jul 24, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Some interesting plot twists in this one unfortunately they are not discussed just mentioned and on we go to less interesting stuff. Too bad.
Guardians & Wolves: To be a King #11 1 2 Oct 31, 2011 03:27PM
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • Urchin and the Raven War (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #4)
  • Fire in the Sky (Seekers, #5)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo ...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...

Guardians of Ga'Hoole (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1)
  • The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2)
  • The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • The Shattering (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #5)
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • The Hatchling (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #7)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • The First Collier (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #9)
  • The Coming of Hoole (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #10)

“What are emotions exactly?' Lutta asked. 'Silly feelings that get in the way of actions.” 10 likes
“We are only as noble as our actions prove us to be.” 2 likes