Start by marking “Running Hot” as Want to Read:
Running Hot

Running Hot

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Badwater Ultramarathon through California's Death Valley is one of the world's toughest races. Lisa Tamati was the first New Zealand woman to compete in the race alongside such legends of the sport as Dean Karnazes and David Goggins. But Lisa's story is so much more than that one race. At the age of 19 she suffered a crippling back injury and was told she should give u ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Running Hot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Hot

Vanessa Runs
I was so inspired by Lisa's story that I immediately contacted her for an interview. I had the honor of chatting with her over Skype, and she instantly became one of my favorite female athletes of all-time. Desert running is a completely different animal than trail running, and I am awed by her determination and positivity. When you speak to her, her passion and spirit are contagious.
May 02, 2012 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: runners
A really inspirational book about a Maori woman who sets out running goals and achieves them despite going through a lot of struggles to get there. I really enjoyed it and it definitely made me want to run ultra-marathons!
Neil Scott
Very inspirational read. It was a while ago when I read the book so my recollections may not be totally accurate. Lisa's drive to run in some of the world's toughest long distance events was spurred on by a feeling of inadequacy caused by a boyfriend who said she wasn't good enough & too weak to take on the challenges. Great to see that this didn't defeat her & she had experiences that most will never come close to. I did call into her shop in New Plymouth while I traveled around NZ arou ...more
Marian Harford
So exciting, I love books with that mental edge worth a read!
My wife gave me this book for a birthday present, as she knew how mad I'd become about running and I'd already read many running related books such as Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man, Christopher Mc Dougal's Born to Run, etc.

What drew me in was Lisa's description of her desert runs. It was the first time I'd heard of the Marathon de Sables, and her description of the race has placed it on my must do before I die list of runs. Some truly awe inspiring race narrative in there. I was riveted.

Robert Bose
Amazing how someone so fragile can be so relentlessly tough.
Amazing athlete whose accomplishments are incredibly inspiring. Loved how down to earth she is and the way she underplays her accomplishments in contrast to some other ultra runners memoirs. However her folksy voice and personal turmoil did not always go over so well with me. Nevertheless much here to inspire and lots of food for thought regarding what rives ultra athletes to do what they do.
Harold Carlson
I really enjoyed reading Lisa Tamati's story. It is both interesting and inspirational. I would recommend her book to anyone that enjoys reading about endurance runners. Dean Karnazes quote on the front cover is right on: "Lisa Tamati is a true inspiration; not only has she pushed her mind and body to the limit, she's done it for all the right reasons, using her gift to help others along the way"
Wan Ni
Interesting book about her journey as a sportswoman and a runner. My lesson from this book: do not date an athlete unless you are as OCD as they are.
I am miffed at the misrepresentation on the book jacket - her injury occurred when she was 22, not 19.
She seems like a very nice person and is very accomplished and the books reads like it was written by a second grader. It is also rife with grammatical errors. It was bizarre.
What a fantastic book. How Lisa got into running and all her adventures, this lady knows how to live life to its fullest and push herself all the way! Do read!
Loved this Story about Lisa Tamati, there is soooo much more to Lisa & I have loads of respect for her after reading what about her & what she has overcome AAA+.

5 stars all the way. A great book that brings the reader right into the adventure. Once I started reading I couldn't stop.
Read for motivation and inspiration for training... this woman is amazing. But out there as far as motivation goes ... would anyone like to do those events???
Deborah Hope
Really inspiring read. Makes you realise if you are determined enough and do the work required you really can achieve what maybe initially seems out of reach
Wild Brian
Good read. Excellent adventures by this remarkable women. Well worth a read. Nice tips throughout the book too!
An amazing achiever, but unfortunately I didn't find the book particularly compelling or inspirational.
And for the runner in your life. New Zealand ultra runner Lisa Tamati is an inspiration.
Julz Manu
Loved this story, really get inspired by real life stories. Fast read.
Enjoyable easy read. I couldn't put this book down.
Wow she has done some crazy stuff in her life. Good read.
Shannon Brandl
Shannon Brandl is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2015
Chris Minor
Chris Minor marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Anita marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Chantalbt1980 marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Paula marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
  • Zen and the Art of Running: The Path to Making Peace with Your Pace
  • Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession
  • Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons
  • Run Like a Girl: How Strong Women Make Happy Lives
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • The Quotable Runner: Great Moments of Wisdom, Inspiration, Wrongheadedness, and Humor
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • Devoted: The Story of a Father's Love for His Son
  • 26.2: Marathon Stories
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • A Year of Adventures: A Guide to What, Where and When to Do It

“You can't always change a situation but you can change your attitude towards it.” 3 likes
“Don't be content with half measures for halfway is as close to the bottom as it is to the top.” 2 likes