Dead Giveaway

Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  827 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Reverend Lee Barker went missing nineteen years ago...And the people of Stillwater, Mississippi, believe they know why. They're convinced he was murdered--by his stepson, Clay Montgomery. But only Clay--and his mother and sisters--can say for sure. They were the only ones there that fateful night, the only ones who know what really happened. And they're not talking.

All...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Giveaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Giveaway

Susan
It doesn't suck. FYI, this is the middle book in a 3-part series that really needs to be read in order to appreciate what's going on. It's about the step-children, now adults, of a beloved small-town preacher who happened to be a sadistic pedophile. The Rev went missing years ago, and suspicion fell on then teenaged stepson Clay, who is the hero of Book 2. Clay has spent his life guarding his family's secret, accepting the role of town pariah and developing a lot of bitterness in the process. Hi...more
Jane Stewart
Well done. Enjoyable. Good romantic mystery with strong character and relationship development.

STORY BRIEF:
This is book 2 in the Stillwater Trilogy. Each book can be read as a stand alone, but they are best when read in order and soon after each other. Lee Barker was a sexual-sadist minister who abused his stepdaughter and others. He was mysteriously killed 19 years earlier. His wife and step kids had something to do with his death and buried the body on the family farm. Clay has remained on the...more
Marti
while the author maintained a certain tension about whether the Reverend Lee Barker disappeared or was killed nineteen years ago, i found the book to be more of a "his wide shoulders" and "her small breast" having encounters. i'm not sure if i would seek out the third of this trilogy. there are all sorts of suspects who MIGHT have killed the reverend, who turns out to be rather a pervert. almost makes you wish you could cast the first stone.
Fauziah
Very enjoyable. I luv the suspense. Clay's character is full of pressure but you can't help but admire his unwavering loyalty to his family. Definitely a thumbs up....
Ana T.
The sequel to Brenda Novak’s Dead Silence is Dead Giveaway. As in the previous book we know at the beginning of the book that the main character – Clay – is a also a victim. If not a direct victim of the villain a victim of the circumstances who made him cover up a murder. 19 years after he is still guarding the place where everything happened.

Allie is the sheriff’s daughter. A cold case detective who just returned to her hometown after a messy divorce she is approached by Madeline to discover w...more
Mandy Bookaholica
Der Stil des Textes ist sehr flüssig. Ich kam wunderbar zurecht und empfand es weder zu primitiv noch zu hochwissenschaftlich. Dazu empfand ich es als sehr angenehm, dass, wie auch schon in "Flieh, solange du kannst", von jeder Person, die in die Geschichte verwickelt ist, die Gedanken und Gefühle eingebracht sind. Man erlebt die Story aus verschiedener Sicht, was mich immer sehr erfreut. Ich mag es, wenn nicht nur eine Person umschrieben wird oder überhaupt eine Rolle spielt. Auch Gefühle und E...more
Debbie
Love this whole series. Best to start at the beginning of the triology. A family covers up a murder for the sake of family members.
Cassandra
This is the second book in the Stillwater trilogy. It wasn't as engrossing as the first book. It took until past the halfway mark for me to really get into it. There were some interesting twists and revelations that I wasn't quite expecting. Overall I would recommend this book to anyone that has read the first book and wants to see how the rest of the story unfolds. Definitely do not read it by itself. I don't think you would be confused, but some of the events of the first novel are referenced...more
The book takes place in a small town where everyone knows everyone. When Allie McCormick (cold-case detective) moves back to home she starts looking in to Reverend Lee Barker disappearing 19 years ago. Everyone in town think that Clay Montgomery is some how connected to his disappearance. The town's people are out to get him, but Allie thinks he is not guilty and wants to prove that Clay is not to be blamed of Reverend Lee Barker's disappearance.
Darlene Hayes
The second book in the trilogy did not disappoint. Enjoying Novak's writing style and storyline.
Glenajo
Sometimes the second book in a series lags well behind the first, not so in this case. I couldn't wait to see what happened to Clay, Grace's brother. Clay had taken responsibility for the whole family at such a young age and the entire town is afraid of him. Enter Allie McCormick, new ton the local police force and with a history of solving cold cases. Allie begins trying to find the answers, and gets more than she bargained for.
This story had me from the first page, just like Dead Silence did. Brenda Novak is very talented. She knows how to draw the reader in, in ways some more well published authors don't. The main and supporting characters in this series are all realistic and the main characters very likeable. This book has edge of your seat suspense and sizzling romance. Ms. Novak can definitely inspire many emotions in the reader
Gail
I loved this book. I had a hard time putting it down. Good thing we had a lot of snow(which I hate and don't go out in unless I have to) I was able to read a lot the last couple of days. The second book in the Stillwater trilogy. I just loved Allie's and Clay story and so many surprises in the book. You never know what will happen next. looking forward to reading the last book in the series.
Lavada Dee
This is another can't put down book. It's the 2nd book of a 3 book series and the first one I read. Not to worry I just ordered the other two. It;s a dark book in that there is pedophile and abuse of the worse kind but Novak does a good job even with that. The characters are so alive you think about then long after you put the book down. And, Clay is a "Bad Guy" to love.
Lhenry
One of the better ones by Novak. For a creepy theme, it was pretty low key. I kept expecting more mob anger about Clay supposedly killing his stepfather, but I liked the way this panned out better. Both Clay and Allie are strong characters and their relationship developing was of the best aspects of the book. I haven't read the first one, but was able to follow the idea easily.
Cindy
Second book in this series. These are quick reads with a mystery/romance story tied in. So far I have enjoyed it & I am wondering how long this family can keep their secret.

I am on the fence on reading the third book. I know it will focus on Madeline and I am annoyed by her. If she was my sister I would spill the beans and tell her to open her eyes and move on,
Colleen
Another great book by Novak. I'm currently reading that last book in this series and I'm going to hate to say goodbye to these characters. Novak does an excellent job in allowing the reader to get to really know these characters. The subject matter is definitely sensitive, but if you can deal with it, you will definitely love this series!
Nigelle-ann
love this serious, really well written and while the subject matter is horrible, it is written with thought.
Pamela Trawick
Nicely done. Even though the reader knows what the crime is all the way through, there's so much unknown I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know how the suspect was going to get out of trouble. And I wanted him to.

Can't wait to get to the next book. And, I didn't read the first one yet. My to-read list grows.
Brianna
Mitchie R
My favorite character in this trilogy is Clay. He is a little of what you hope every male would be. I really enjoyed this one, although I hated the last one in the series. Why TMI about pedophilia. I read to escape not have my head filled with discusting perverse information.
Terri
there were a couple of moments i didn't like the story line...a couple of times it became a little too unbelievable...people really aren't that dumb...but that didn't stop me from reading it like someone was going to come bust down the door and take the book back :)
penelopewanders
here as sort of a mini-ring/loan...actually almost finished with it and enjoying it very much! Work is getting in my way...
Great read... now I have to locate the third!
Paulette
Really liked it. Ready to read the third in series. By then I'll be ready to move on from these characters and see it wrapped up.
Melanie
Uh-mazing! Boy I can't stop reading these books. This one is such a page turner that I just had to find out how it ended!
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. I was introduced to the author by a friend and I do plan to read the next book in this Saga.
Carole
Brenda Novak is such a readable author. I devoured this book this morning.
Sue
book one in this series. Okay but did get boring in places!
Fans of Christian...: mary hawkins giveaway 1 9 Nov 05, 2013 10:13PM
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
  • Now You Die (Bullet Catcher, #6)
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • Have You Seen Her? (Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • Pitch Black (Black CATs, #2)
  • Dark Truth (Truth #3)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a...more
More about Brenda Novak...
When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) Trust Me (Last Stand Series, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)