Start by marking “Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)

Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,352 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
The Reverend Lee Barker went missing nineteen years ago...And the people of Stillwater, Mississippi, believe they know why. They're convinced he was murdered--by his stepson, Clay Montgomery. But only Clay--and his mother and sisters--can say for sure. They were the only ones there that fateful night, the only ones who know what really happened. And they're not talking.

All
Published February 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Giveaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Giveaway

Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Stillwater Trilogy by Brenda Novak. This book begins when the first book ends. Allie McCormack, the chief of police's daughter, is hired on at the police department. Her previous job was investigating cold cases and she really wants to solve the mystery of what happened to Pastor Barker. One of the people she feels knows the truth is Clay Montgomery. Clay stayed on the farm after the rest of the family left and went the own ways.

Excellent addition and continuation of this
Winter Sophia Rose
Moving, Engrossing & Gripping! An Excellent Twists & Turns Read! I Loved It!
Anita
I’m gonna be honest about this: There has got to be something alluring about these Brenda Novak Stillwater books that is managing to keep me hooked. It took every ounce of discipline I had to put the book down after two hours of straight reading before going to sleep. 50% into the book, I finally caved, knowing that I needed to at least get enough sleep if I didn’t want to go into work sleepy or cranky.

Is it the storyline? The premise of the book itself doesn’t leave much mystery or surprise to
Pam
Jan 16, 2017 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book I couldn't put it down. I'm starting book #3 of the series now. Check out her books she's great
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-mystery
Well done. Enjoyable. Good romantic mystery with strong character and relationship development.

STORY BRIEF:
This is book 2 in the Stillwater Trilogy. Each book can be read as a stand alone, but they are best when read in order and soon after each other. Lee Barker was a sexual-sadist minister who abused his stepdaughter and others. He was mysteriously killed 19 years earlier. His wife and step kids had something to do with his death and buried the body on the family farm. Clay has remained on the
Susan (the other Susan)
It doesn't suck. FYI, this is the middle book in a 3-part series that really needs to be read in order to appreciate what's going on. It's about the step-children, now adults, of a beloved small-town preacher who happened to be a sadistic pedophile. The Rev went missing years ago, and suspicion fell on then teenaged stepson Clay, who is the hero of Book 2. Clay has spent his life guarding his family's secret, accepting the role of town pariah and developing a lot of bitterness in the process. Hi ...more
Cassandra
Dec 27, 2012 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Stillwater trilogy. It wasn't as engrossing as the first book. It took until past the halfway mark for me to really get into it. There were some interesting twists and revelations that I wasn't quite expecting. Overall I would recommend this book to anyone that has read the first book and wants to see how the rest of the story unfolds. Definitely do not read it by itself. I don't think you would be confused, but some of the events of the first novel are referenced ...more
Marti
Nov 25, 2009 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
while the author maintained a certain tension about whether the Reverend Lee Barker disappeared or was killed nineteen years ago, i found the book to be more of a "his wide shoulders" and "her small breast" having encounters. i'm not sure if i would seek out the third of this trilogy. there are all sorts of suspects who MIGHT have killed the reverend, who turns out to be rather a pervert. almost makes you wish you could cast the first stone.
Colleen
Another great book by Novak. I'm currently reading that last book in this series and I'm going to hate to say goodbye to these characters. Novak does an excellent job in allowing the reader to get to really know these characters. The subject matter is definitely sensitive, but if you can deal with it, you will definitely love this series!
Fauziah
Feb 04, 2011 Fauziah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. I luv the suspense. Clay's character is full of pressure but you can't help but admire his unwavering loyalty to his family. Definitely a thumbs up....
Serena Miles
Oct 25, 2016 Serena Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mi me ha enganchado desde el principio, y lo he leido un tiron. Me encanta Clay, y en este libro se va descubriendo mas cosas jejejje

10/10
Danielle Thompson
In the sequel to Dead Silence, readers are immediately drawn back into the small town drama in Stillwater, Mississippi. It has now been 19 years since Reverend Barker disappeared seemingly without a trace, and that is exactly how Clay Montgomery wants it to stay. When a scorned ex-fling decides to falsely accuse Clay of attacking her, she brings an attractive police woman right into Clay's path. Something about Allie McCormick intrigues Clay, and makes him wonder if something more is possible wh ...more
Andrea
Feb 19, 2017 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patt
Feb 08, 2017 Patt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down, second book in the "Dead" series. Clay's cousins are still sure he is responsible for the death of his step-father. Allison, the police chief's daughter, returns to town and is assigned to the cold case. During this work, she meets Clay and falls for him. There are several other stories involved in this book, including one about Allison's father who is cheating on his wife. The epilogue tells you that, just when you think Clay is going to be happy, there is a new problem, which ...more
Adrienne Testa
Nov 15, 2016 Adrienne Testa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, the twists and turns and the secrets being revealed keeps the pages turning in the second installment of Stillwater. This time the romance is between Allie and Clay, a cop who wants to uncover the truth and a man trying to protect his mother and sisters. With the town up in arms and taking sides, its up to Grace and Allie to protect Clay from being sent to prison for a crime that occurred years ago.
Blanche Wegman
Feb 10, 2017 Blanche Wegman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous

Brenda Novak is a fabulous writer, she has kept me on the edge of my seat since I opened this book. I recommend her books to anyone that wants a good readm
Gwyn Thomson
Jan 30, 2017 Gwyn Thomson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read, although I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first.
Elissa
Jan 15, 2017 Elissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Again an excellent book. I would love to someday be able to write like Novak. This book was as good as the first and I'm getting ready to buy the next in the series. So far I have not read a book by Novak that I didn't love.
Ana T.
The sequel to Brenda Novak’s Dead Silence is Dead Giveaway. As in the previous book we know at the beginning of the book that the main character – Clay – is a also a victim. If not a direct victim of the villain a victim of the circumstances who made him cover up a murder. 19 years after he is still guarding the place where everything happened.

Allie is the sheriff’s daughter. A cold case detective who just returned to her hometown after a messy divorce she is approached by Madeline to discover w
ʝαиє
"Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning; but give me the man who has pluck to fight when he's sure of losing."
- George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) English novelist, 1819-1880

I had a hard time completing this book. The plot is good. Just that I can't really stand those people again. Dead Silence characters like Irene Montgomery, Joe Vincelli, Madeline Barker. They're people who pissed me off whenever I'm reading the book. Now in Dead Giveaway they still pissed me off. This book is c
Stacey
I am thouroughly enjoying this trilogy. Once I get started, I don't want to put these books down. I think Brenda is an entremely talented writer and I loved the characters. The biggest flaw was the lack of depth her heroine Allie has. She doesn't feel real as a cop. I could believe her more a P.I. The part about losing her gun just doesn't ring true. I also (although I LOVE Clay) had a problem with how quickly he opened up to Allie, after keeping so closed into himself the past nineteen years. T ...more
Beth Pearson
Sep 03, 2016 Beth Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Oh, I was so happy that I bought this trilogy all at the same time. So when I finished Dead Silence I was ready to start Dead Giveaway the next day. Yae! I really enjoyed this series. They aren't stand alone books. You really should start at #1 and move through them in order.

This 2nd book is about Grace's brother, Clay, and we get more who, what, and why's of that night so long ago. I loved Clay's loyalty to his family. His willingness to sacrifice his own happiness for their happiness. His qui
Theresa
Jan 01, 2016 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars. Hated the whole thing about Allie's dad and Clay's mum; Allie's dad was just a real arse. Also wasn't a big fan of the fact that Allie's daughter was really annoying and spoiled and a nonexistent factor in their relationship, unlike Grace's story. Just okay; Dead Silence was the best and most satisfying--stick with that one and leave this one and Dead Right alone.
Marianchu
Feb 21, 2016 Marianchu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuando creía que una trama no se podía poner más interesante ZAS! IMPRESIONANTE!
para leer esta historia es imprescindible leer la anterior, Silencio mortal ya que la autora nos va desvelando poco a poco sucesos que acontecieron 18/19 años antes.
Clay es EL PERSONAJE por excelencia. Ya me gustaba en el anterior libro pero en este caí rendida a sus pies. No hay mejor hermano, ni hijo, ni esposo. Un amor de persona y Allie es sin duda la mujer fuerte que necesita.
Deseando leer el desenlace de la his
The book takes place in a small town where everyone knows everyone. When Allie McCormick (cold-case detective) moves back to home she starts looking in to Reverend Lee Barker disappearing 19 years ago. Everyone in town think that Clay Montgomery is some how connected to his disappearance. The town's people are out to get him, but Allie thinks he is not guilty and wants to prove that Clay is not to be blamed of Reverend Lee Barker's disappearance.
Glenajo
May 29, 2011 Glenajo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the second book in a series lags well behind the first, not so in this case. I couldn't wait to see what happened to Clay, Grace's brother. Clay had taken responsibility for the whole family at such a young age and the entire town is afraid of him. Enter Allie McCormick, new ton the local police force and with a history of solving cold cases. Allie begins trying to find the answers, and gets more than she bargained for.
Jul 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story had me from the first page, just like Dead Silence did. Brenda Novak is very talented. She knows how to draw the reader in, in ways some more well published authors don't. The main and supporting characters in this series are all realistic and the main characters very likeable. This book has edge of your seat suspense and sizzling romance. Ms. Novak can definitely inspire many emotions in the reader
Pam Koenig
Jun 25, 2015 Pam Koenig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Missing preacher, abuse and redemption

I liked the characters and the story, it's part of a trilogy, which I didn't know till the end. It can be read as a stand alone book, but is probably better to read in order, since not all of the mystery is solved in this book. It shows how you sometimes have to stand up for what you think is right even if you end up facing off with your own family. I will definitely read all of the books in the trilogy.
Cindy
Jan 21, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in this series. These are quick reads with a mystery/romance story tied in. So far I have enjoyed it & I am wondering how long this family can keep their secret.

I am on the fence on reading the third book. I know it will focus on Madeline and I am annoyed by her. If she was my sister I would spill the beans and tell her to open her eyes and move on,
Fans of Christian...: mary hawkins giveaway 1 9 Nov 05, 2013 10:13PM
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
  • Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Pitch Black
  • Sweet Revenge (Last Chance Rescue, #8)
  • Pitch Black (Black CATs, #2)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)
  • Dead End (Dead #4; John Mancini #6)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Stillwater Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dead Silence (Stillwater, #1)
  • Dead Right (Stillwater, #3)