Start by marking “The Company We Keep” as Want to Read:
The Company We Keep

The Company We Keep

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  18 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Mary Monroe's extraordinary novel celebrates life, love, and the power of sisterhood--proving that friends, like fine wine, only get better with age. . .

Gorgeous, successful executive Teri Stewart spends her days working for L.A.'s hottest record company--and her nights all alone. Her best friend Nicole is determined to find Teri a man,
Published March 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Company We Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Company We Keep

MoonbeamMommy
OKAY. All I have to say is...what happened???? I am a huuuge fan of Mary Monroe, but this one just did not do it for me. The plot was.....what plot?????? A very boring, dry read. I got through the book in about four hours because I couldn't stop reading, just WAITING and ANTICIPATING something, anything to happen. Nope, never did. The characters were dry and the main character was definitely overdeveloped, left no room for even a halfway decent plot. Thoroughly disappointed!
Ebony
I enjoyed the book especially after reading heavier books. I didn't really like the ending but I guess she made her point.
Belinda
Enjoyed this book. I believe there is something to be said about The Company We Keep. We can be elevated or brought down by our company. I'm a firm believer we should associate with people who are going somewhere and have something positive going on in their lives as Teri Stewart did and her best friend, Nicole. This was not one of her best books.
Bobbie BoClair
This book kept my interest. Some of language used was not my taste personally. But all in all a good read.
Shonnie
I've read other reviews on this book and it seems a few didn't like the fact that she didn't have a lot of drama. I on the other hand appreciated the fact that there wasn't a lot of drama. Life is drama! Sometimes I just want to escape and read something entertaining. This book answered my craving. I will admit that I've had this book for a while now however, I finished it in two days.
Judi
Not one of Mary Monroe's better works. I listened to this as a book on tape. The narrator was good. Story line, characters predictable. A light, amusing read. I am begining to realize that my amusement when reading/listening to Mary Monroe's books may not be for the same reasons as other folks. To me her books are over the top, but I like them just the same.
Brandy
Aug 24, 2009 Brandy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I had to read this book for my book club. It is not a book that I would typically pick up, but I tried to keep and open mind. However, it was terrible. There was absolutely no plot. I felt like I wasted an afternoon of my life reading this book.

Sharonbrown
I like Monroe's drama laden stories but this one was disappointing. There was no plot, people just pop up and disappear and I was bored so badly that I just said forget it and returned it to the library. Better luck next time Monroe!
Jenene
This was my first book by this author (read for book club) and I hope the rest of her books are not this poorly written. The characters were under developed and erratic. New characters introduced and then never heard from again.
BNic
This was okay. It kept my attention because I wanted to know what would happen. It didn't really turn out that great to me though!
Aone
This would make a good movie, but it just didn't pop like her other books as I expected it too.
Keaira
is a very good book. this book should not be read by most children under the age of 14.
Linda
My first book by this author. Very interesting. Good character development.
Camille
Enjoyed this book. I always enjoy her books.
Iris
This book was very interesting and well written.
I think it could of ended differently...
Joyce
Not one of her better books.
Christie
Christie is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Ineza Hughes
Ineza Hughes is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Luschus Beth
Luschus Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Jeanette montgomery
Jeanette montgomery marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
  • The First Lady
  • Lady Jasmine
  • We'll Never Tell
  • Diary of a Groupie
I am the third child of Alabama sharecroppers and the first and only member of my family to finish high school. I never attended college or any writing classes. I taught myself how to write and started writing short stories around age four. I spent the first part of my life in Alabama and Ohio and moved to Richmond, California in 1973. I have lived in Oakland since 1984.

My first novel THE UPPER RO
More about Mary Monroe...
God Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #1) God Still Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #2) God Don't Play (God Don't Like Ugly, #3) The Upper Room God Ain't Blind (God Don't Like Ugly, #4)