Start by marking “Gideon” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  663 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Gideon. An identity shrouded in mystery - the anonymous source who holds the key to an explosive secret. In a clandestine meeting, writer Carl Granville is hired to take the pages of an old diary, articles, letters, documents in which all proper names and locations have been blacked out - and turn them into compelling fiction. He will be paid a quarter of a million dollars ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 466 pages
Published June 6th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gideon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gideon

Faouzia
Jun 21, 2015 Faouzia rated it really liked it
Imagine that you're an aspirant author, and a well known editor accepts to publish your book, only there's a condition. You have to write another book based on old mysterious diaries with dates, names and places erased. Those diaries hold a dark secret. And then couple of weeks later, you wake up to find that your editor is dead and you're accused of her murder with two more murders. As you realize it's all about those diaries and the secret they hold, a chase across the country starts: you have ...more
Eadie
Oct 14, 2015 Eadie rated it it was amazing
This book was a gripping page turner which was hard to put down. It is full of suspense that keeps you guessing until the very last page. It is a political intrigue that comes together in the end in a way that is unimaginable. This was an excellent debut and I look forward to reading the next one from Russell Andrews. I recommend this book to anyone who likes thrillers as it is a very good entertaining read.
Lee Pletzers
May 25, 2010 Lee Pletzers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Russell Andrews
Warner Books
ISBN: 0751528900
2000 Review of second edition

A struggling writer, Carl Granville, gets the opportunity of a lifetime. An editor offers to publish his books if he writes one special book for her. He has ghost written before and so (naturally) he accepts the project. There are stipulations and at first he finds them weird but gets used to them. He has a very limited time to get the book done. It’s time sensitive.

On the day he accepts, a new girl moved into the apar
Seizure Romero
Sep 05, 2007 Seizure Romero rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people I don't like.
...kinda fun bubblegum for the brain, but there are a few disbelief-threatening plot complications to keep the story going. Too much of that and you go directly from edge-of-the-seat tension to irritation & throwing the book across the room.
UPDATE/SPOILER ALERT: I slogged through to the end & this book blows. Pacing is off-- what is supposed to foreshadow and draw the reader further into the story seems more like random & pointless plot complication. Characters who manage to f**k up
Keith
Jul 04, 2011 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carl Granville, an aspiring novelist, is introduced to the hottest agent in New York and she offers him the opportunity of a lifetime; to become an extremely well paid ghost writer for a new novel which, she claims, could change the course of history. There is, however a caveat; no one can know the true identity of the book’s author including Granville. His research material is delivered to him each day with all names and locations redacted and the courier waits until he’s finished with the orig ...more
Scott
Sep 13, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
What a great ride! So I stop at a tag sale near my house and didnt like the book selection. Talked to the owner for a while and bought this because I felt guilty.$1 and sat on my shelf for a week. Then I picked it up thinking Id read a few pages. Couple of days later and was really engaged. I LOVE when that happens. This was a great action, mystery, thriller. Some fun and at times REALLY surprising twists. NY...to the White House...to the sleepy South where secrets are buried...this book read li ...more
Freda Malone
Mar 16, 2015 Freda Malone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Φλεγύας
I’m looking at how I rated Kostova’s “the Historian” 3/5 and can’t possibly allow Gideon to make it to the 4/5 mark. In my opinion, both books are 4/5 material. Maybe “the Historian” more so.

“Gideon” is a thriller. It says so on the very front cover. Actually, my version is entitled “gideon: a thriller”.

If you’re not into suspense, mysteries, whodunit, etc. don’t bother with this book. Also, if you get easily annoyed with how far a writer will go in order to keep the element of surprise alive, a
Monique
Oct 09, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Interesting story about a ghost writer who is asked to write a novel using only materials supplied to him by the client. At some point, he realizes there is something wrong in the whole scheme. When people start dying and he gets fingered for the crimes, his only choice is to run with a friend and try to unravel the threads of this convoluted scheme.

The story unfolds well, building suspense appropriately and the protagonists behave appropriately for their roles. I enjoyed the book.
Jayne Thorold
Jan 04, 2016 Jayne Thorold rated it it was ok
My son had one of Russell Andrews books Midas, and I borrowed it a few years ago, read it and loved it. I then searched charity shops to find Gideon. Just before Christmas I finally found it. Read it, and was sorely disappointed.
I liked the two main characters fair enough, even though in someways their 'relationship' was a little far fetched. The plot however had so many holes that it would have lost a whale through its net let alone a red herring.
Whether it's because the book was written on
Laini
Aug 15, 2011 Laini rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Carl Granville, an author is hired to write a book. This book is different though, based on letters and diary entries, Carl is sworn to secrecy, the source material is brought to him every day and taken away again at night. The only name he has to go on is Gideon but it soon becomes clear that this is the story of someone very important and the sponsors of the novel are trying to expose them. Before long the action and adventure begins when Carl's publisher is killed and Carl finds himself on th ...more
Pat Tedora
May 21, 2011 Pat Tedora rated it it was amazing
Another oldie but goodie published in 1999. This a a WOW novel, enthralling, suspenseful and supremely entertaining, this book doesn't let up from the moment you read the Prologue until the very last page. This is a psychological thriller about a secret that can ruin lives, villains that seem invincible, the hero and heroine on the run from certain death, romance and betrayal. The story is about a down on his luck writer, Carl Granville, who is offered a lot of money by big time publisher to tur ...more
Lauren
Jul 25, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
A very fast paced and exciting book. It was great for the first 2/3rds of the book, and continued to be good even after the plot become a bit too ridiculous. Still, it was well-worth reading.
Karen
A mystery book that leaves its reader intrigued and interested, Gideon is a novel about a secret that lies within the government. Among a presidential election, a diary is found holding a past that the president hoped would never see the light of day. His past is revealed and his present is threatened causing him to commit suicide once he discovers who is behind this tedious plot to overthrow his power.
Gideon is an overwhelming book that makes its reader curious and gasp for breath until the ver
Ariha Rosan
Jan 16, 2015 Ariha Rosan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: now-in-my-shelf
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!
All you ever need! romance, politics, thrill, everything! in one book!!!
Melissa Vicente
Sep 16, 2013 Melissa Vicente rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit what really brought my interest to this book when I picked it up was the name. I just adore the name Gideon and thought "what they hell, I'll give it a read." What a read it was! This book is unlike anything I have read before and I was hooked instantly. I couldn't put it down and for good reason, the action never stops! Beginning, middle and end are all fast rides. Information and dramatic events at every turn of the page. It's remarkable how Andrews puts all the pieces of the puzzle to ...more
Barbara Harden
Jan 19, 2016 Barbara Harden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT THRILLER!!! You may think you have guessed the ending, but there is sooo much more to it!
Feb 04, 2008 Gideon rated it really liked it
Being the narcissist that I am, I bought this book SOLELY because it had my name on it. I had no idea of the kind of story that was in it, I hadn't ever heard of the author, I just wanted a book named after me. Anyway, I read it a while ago, and I thought that the story was great. The whole mystery of the main character having to "ghost" a book, and what it could do to the people in it, I thought, was genius at the time I read it. It loses a star, because the character "Gideon," although central ...more
Jillian
Dec 12, 2015 Jillian rated it it was amazing
waiting to find another by him
RickyB
Feb 16, 2015 RickyB rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Not quite a 4-star book.
Amanda Fleet
VERY long book. The story wasn't bad but it could have been tighter in a number of places (and shorter!).
Dave
Mar 04, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book was awesome
Ada Uzoije
Aug 31, 2013 Ada Uzoije rated it it was amazing
It was 7 years ago I walked in into a charity shop looking for a second hand novel to read. I picked this book 'Gideon'. The book was full of suspense from the moment you read the first few paragraphs. The idea was solid and original. Russel Andrew did a fine job of creating characters that make you feel you are watching a live Hollywood blockbuster action movie. There is something about the author's writing style which made this novel one of my memorable best reads.
Jan 06, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Good story, way too much detail about unimportant things.
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Carl Granville is a young guy trying to make it as a writer and has had some success. Then he's hired to ghost write a novel based on a diary. And the money is fabulous. But the project soon gets way beyond weird. Professional killers are involved as well as high level politicians. The story is fast and furious and fascinating. If you've ever read and enjoyed Stephen Hunter, try this one out. If you haven't, try it anyway. Trust me.
Jenn
Oct 25, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
This book pretty much just threw me into the action. It did move quickly but i think that as complex as the plot was the book could of been a tad shorter. I did enjoy the twists that this story had to offer and it kept me turning page after page.

Although realistically I don't believe Carl would of survived in the "real world" with all that was going on. At times he irritated me but other times he surprised me.

I enjoyed it.
Kyle Eveleth
Jan 09, 2011 Kyle Eveleth rated it really liked it
The early goings felt a bit like Andrews was force-feeding emotion and doing much of the thinking for the reader, but once he got going and loosened up a bit things got better. The prose flowed a bit more evenly, and though the ride is bumpy--be prepared for unbelievably close escapes and some heavy-handed deus ex machina--it is enjoyable and certainly lives up to its thriller status.
Barbara ★
Carl was asked by a book publisher to ghost write a stunner of a book that will change the course of history. Now the editor is dead and Carl is on the run from the cops and the murderer who is trying to kill him. No one believes Carl's story and everyone he talks to ends up dead. Who can he turn to? This is really exciting and a clever mystery.
Kate
Sep 24, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing is how I would describe this rollicking ride. It starts with a great hook and by the time you have figured out who the hook is you are well and truly caught. A little death happy for me to consider it very highly, but defiantly entertaining and despite being nearly 15 year old the technological aspects have not dated too badly.
Cara
Jul 04, 2012 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I didn't really expect much from this book and it totally surprised me.
This book is kinda confusing because it's written from multiple POVs (too many for my liking) and it has unexpected plot twists (which i like).
I also liked the story within the story.
All in all it's a fascinating book, very enjoyable to read.
  • Riding The Snake
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • Exceptional Clearance
  • The Girl of the Sea of Cortez
  • The Gunfighters (The Old West, #8)
  • First Evidence
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust