Start by marking “Gideon” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Gideon. An identity shrouded in mystery - the anonymous source who holds the key to an explosive secret. In a clandestine meeting, writer Carl Granville is hired to take the pages of an old diary, articles, letters, documents in which all proper names and locations have been blacked out - and turn them into compelling fiction. He will be paid a quarter of a million dollars ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 466 pages
Published June 6th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Gideon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gideon

Lee Pletzers
Russell Andrews
Warner Books
ISBN: 0751528900
©2000 Review of second edition

A struggling writer, Carl Granville, gets the opportunity of a lifetime. An editor offers to publish his books if he writes one special book for her. He has ghost written before and so (naturally) he accepts the project. There are stipulations and at first he finds them weird but gets used to them. He has a very limited time to get the book done. It’s time sensitive.

On the day he accepts, a new girl moved into the apa
Seizure Romero
Sep 05, 2007 Seizure Romero rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people I don't like.
...kinda fun bubblegum for the brain, but there are a few disbelief-threatening plot complications to keep the story going. Too much of that and you go directly from edge-of-the-seat tension to irritation & throwing the book across the room.
UPDATE/SPOILER ALERT: I slogged through to the end & this book blows. Pacing is off-- what is supposed to foreshadow and draw the reader further into the story seems more like random & pointless plot complication. Characters who manage to f**k up
Keith
Carl Granville, an aspiring novelist, is introduced to the hottest agent in New York and she offers him the opportunity of a lifetime; to become an extremely well paid ghost writer for a new novel which, she claims, could change the course of history. There is, however a caveat; no one can know the true identity of the book’s author including Granville. His research material is delivered to him each day with all names and locations redacted and the courier waits until he’s finished with the orig ...more
Scott
What a great ride! So I stop at a tag sale near my house and didnt like the book selection. Talked to the owner for a while and bought this because I felt guilty.$1 and sat on my shelf for a week. Then I picked it up thinking Id read a few pages. Couple of days later and was really engaged. I LOVE when that happens. This was a great action, mystery, thriller. Some fun and at times REALLY surprising twists. NY...to the White House...to the sleepy South where secrets are buried...this book read li ...more
Φλεγύας
I’m looking at how I rated Kostova’s “the Historian” 3/5 and can’t possibly allow Gideon to make it to the 4/5 mark. In my opinion, both books are 4/5 material. Maybe “the Historian” more so.

“Gideon” is a thriller. It says so on the very front cover. Actually, my version is entitled “gideon: a thriller”.

If you’re not into suspense, mysteries, whodunit, etc. don’t bother with this book. Also, if you get easily annoyed with how far a writer will go in order to keep the element of surprise alive, a
Monique
Interesting story about a ghost writer who is asked to write a novel using only materials supplied to him by the client. At some point, he realizes there is something wrong in the whole scheme. When people start dying and he gets fingered for the crimes, his only choice is to run with a friend and try to unravel the threads of this convoluted scheme.

The story unfolds well, building suspense appropriately and the protagonists behave appropriately for their roles. I enjoyed the book.
Laini
Carl Granville, an author is hired to write a book. This book is different though, based on letters and diary entries, Carl is sworn to secrecy, the source material is brought to him every day and taken away again at night. The only name he has to go on is Gideon but it soon becomes clear that this is the story of someone very important and the sponsors of the novel are trying to expose them. Before long the action and adventure begins when Carl's publisher is killed and Carl finds himself on th ...more
Pat Tedora
Another oldie but goodie published in 1999. This a a WOW novel, enthralling, suspenseful and supremely entertaining, this book doesn't let up from the moment you read the Prologue until the very last page. This is a psychological thriller about a secret that can ruin lives, villains that seem invincible, the hero and heroine on the run from certain death, romance and betrayal. The story is about a down on his luck writer, Carl Granville, who is offered a lot of money by big time publisher to tur ...more
Karen
A mystery book that leaves its reader intrigued and interested, Gideon is a novel about a secret that lies within the government. Among a presidential election, a diary is found holding a past that the president hoped would never see the light of day. His past is revealed and his present is threatened causing him to commit suicide once he discovers who is behind this tedious plot to overthrow his power.
Gideon is an overwhelming book that makes its reader curious and gasp for breath until the ver
Ariha Rosan
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!
All you ever need! romance, politics, thrill, everything! in one book!!!
Melissa Vicente
I admit what really brought my interest to this book when I picked it up was the name. I just adore the name Gideon and thought "what they hell, I'll give it a read." What a read it was! This book is unlike anything I have read before and I was hooked instantly. I couldn't put it down and for good reason, the action never stops! Beginning, middle and end are all fast rides. Information and dramatic events at every turn of the page. It's remarkable how Andrews puts all the pieces of the puzzle to ...more
Freda Malone
Gideon
Being the narcissist that I am, I bought this book SOLELY because it had my name on it. I had no idea of the kind of story that was in it, I hadn't ever heard of the author, I just wanted a book named after me. Anyway, I read it a while ago, and I thought that the story was great. The whole mystery of the main character having to "ghost" a book, and what it could do to the people in it, I thought, was genius at the time I read it. It loses a star, because the character "Gideon," although central ...more
Ada Uzoije
It was 7 years ago I walked in into a charity shop looking for a second hand novel to read. I picked this book 'Gideon'. The book was full of suspense from the moment you read the first few paragraphs. The idea was solid and original. Russel Andrew did a fine job of creating characters that make you feel you are watching a live Hollywood blockbuster action movie. There is something about the author's writing style which made this novel one of my memorable best reads.
Susan
Carl Granville is a young guy trying to make it as a writer and has had some success. Then he's hired to ghost write a novel based on a diary. And the money is fabulous. But the project soon gets way beyond weird. Professional killers are involved as well as high level politicians. The story is fast and furious and fascinating. If you've ever read and enjoyed Stephen Hunter, try this one out. If you haven't, try it anyway. Trust me.
Jenn
This book pretty much just threw me into the action. It did move quickly but i think that as complex as the plot was the book could of been a tad shorter. I did enjoy the twists that this story had to offer and it kept me turning page after page.

Although realistically I don't believe Carl would of survived in the "real world" with all that was going on. At times he irritated me but other times he surprised me.

I enjoyed it.
Kyle Eveleth
The early goings felt a bit like Andrews was force-feeding emotion and doing much of the thinking for the reader, but once he got going and loosened up a bit things got better. The prose flowed a bit more evenly, and though the ride is bumpy--be prepared for unbelievably close escapes and some heavy-handed deus ex machina--it is enjoyable and certainly lives up to its thriller status.
Barbara ★
Carl was asked by a book publisher to ghost write a stunner of a book that will change the course of history. Now the editor is dead and Carl is on the run from the cops and the murderer who is trying to kill him. No one believes Carl's story and everyone he talks to ends up dead. Who can he turn to? This is really exciting and a clever mystery.
Cara
I didn't really expect much from this book and it totally surprised me.
This book is kinda confusing because it's written from multiple POVs (too many for my liking) and it has unexpected plot twists (which i like).
I also liked the story within the story.
All in all it's a fascinating book, very enjoyable to read.
Normand
One of the Best book I read....and I read a lot
Hemant Rajput
The duo surely does create enough mystery with the plot. Although as story move towards climax it become trite and hackneyed. A secret so dangerous that it could have change the history, politics and economics. In the end a good appetite for mystery novel's reader.
Robin
At my house, we call this the "OMG" book. You can't stop turning the pages and every few pages, you say out loud, "OMG!" Recommended to us by our friend, Mindy...we love it. In fact, I should re-read it again. It's a thriller, scary...and plausible.
Robert
A really interesting idea; just not terribly compelling execution. It never "got" to me, like similar thrillers of Patterson or Grisham. And the most interesting character doesn't last very long in the story.

But not a bad summer read.
Daystar Daystar
Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for this kind of book, just didn't get into it. It started off well but then I lost interest as it became obvious where it was going. I think it's probably me but, a lot of books these days are so predictable.
Ruth
Bill
Not sure why it took me so long to finally read this book since everyone else in my family said it was good and I love the author's other books. Nevertheless, it is an outstanding mystery and one I heartily recommend.
Elizabeth
I love a story when I get to the end and totaly surprised at its conclusion. This was one of those stories. The suspense would sometimes make me hold my breath to get through the page. Loved it!
Jay
This was a real page turner, that I found it hard to put down. A well written political suspense thriller, that needs to be turn ito a big budget, big budget movie.
Clara Givens
This book was the one to get me back into reading truely great stories, with a wonderful plot and excellent twists along the way... Definitely a must read for me :)
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • Riding The Snake
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • Exceptional Clearance