The Tree-Sitter

The Tree-Sitter

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A passionate and tensely pitched tale of first love and idealism set in the Oregon forests.
Julie Prince is a college student at the top of her class and seems destined for conventional success. But then she falls in love with Neil, a radical graduate student. At his urging she abandons her privileged East Coast life to tree-sit in the forests of Oregon. Julie at first reg...more
Published February 20th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2005)

Jennifer W
Let's be honest, I picked this book because of its cover. There, I said it. I also picked it up because of its subject matter. For those who know me, I went to a little hippie college in the Northeast where a student was "weird" if they hadn't done something like tree sit. I vividly remember a good friend of mine being forcibly removed from a Home Depot for chaining himself to their lumber in protest of exactly the practices being described in the book. I, however, did not engage in these activi...more
Robyn
Let me count the ways of why I didn't like this book:

1) It sounds like something I would have written myself when I was 17 and felt very DEEP about things. And I have always been a lousy creative writer. So you can see what I thought about this.

2) It reminded me of Bridges Over Madison County for the young environmental activist set.

3) It was so bad that I skipped whole paragraphs just to get through it quickly.

4) I finished it just so I could put up this review.
Catherine
Reading green for the book club.
Right now they're sitting in a tree.
Kristin
I probably picked this book up at the True Colors inventory sale. First, there is some awesome, beautiful writing in this book. As Julie, an east-coast native, travels west from the great plains:

...it came as a surprise to me, as we climbed and the stone began forming itself into towers and ridges, a skein of river unwinding to our left, the cattle thinning on the shrinking grasslands, how disoriented it made me feel. Paradoxically, I felt a ruse of homecoming at the same time I was registering
Whitney
Jul 28, 2010 Whitney rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Brynn, Erin
Shelves: 2010, fiction, romance
I think I found this book by accident, while searching for another fictional title about tree sitters. I'm glad I found it.

More than Earth First! type environmental activism, this book is about a woman negotiating for her own space within the boundaries of two relationships, that with her mother and that with her first "great" lover, Neil. I found myself rooting for Julie to create distance between herself and both relationships while also understanding the heartbreak associated with doing so.

I...more
Rachel
Sep 08, 2011 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who loves romance
Recommended to Rachel by: Summer reading
I liked it very much not only because of the plot, but how much romance there was in this book. I would recommend it to anyone who loves nature, loves romance, or even loves hearing breathtaking novels like this. One of the parts reminded me of Osama Bin Ladin and I thought that part was pretty good. If anyone loves a really good book and is interested, try this book because i thought it was pretty good on my opinion. I just hope that anyone who reads this book likes the book as much as i do.
Ruby
Nov 30, 2009 Ruby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
I'm embarrassed to say that I really liked this book because it contains some really sexually explicit dialogue. (I shared the book with a friend of mine who teaches college English as a possible choice for her students--she was completely scandalized by the book.) But there is mother-daughter drama which always intrigues and enlightens me and I really enjoyed learning about the radical environmentalist movement.
lynne naranek
It took me almost a month to finish this book: I usually consume books within a few days, but this one, I tended to take extended breaks between chapters.

I suppose one might say the writing style failed to engage me, despite the appeal of the content: "tree-hugging: how far would you go?" and "figuring out boundaries of a rather co-dependent mother-daughter relationship".
Laurie
A college girl falls in love and follows her beau to Oregon to protest clear-cutting.But there is a fine line between protesting and terrorism.Also between what we will and will not do for love.This book was good but short.It could have been fleshed out a lot more.
Jill
Random selection from the library. What I liked is that the main character is drawn in such a way that the reader can see her weaknesses in places she cannot. And, though there are some weaknesses, it is an interesting look at the question of what is terrorism, oddly.
Rachael
I didn't really enjoy it...the ethical dilemma of values and how far an environmentalist should go to maintaining them was interesting. but it wasn't really about that. It was slower than I liked, and I didn't really like any of the characters. It was fine.
Jennifer Caley
I really liked this book
EmilyS
Cute, I saw a lot of myself in it. Art history chick right out of college follows hot boy to California to protest logging of old growth forests. Wait, why didn't I do that?
Melissa
Nov 12, 2007 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Dina
The language in this book is extraordinary--the story surprising and the narrator lives that conflicted love affair that is part of all of us.
Amy
A novel that delve sinto how far people may go to save the planet wound around a story of an offbeat love affair.
Beatrice
Set mainly in Oregon, this very interesting story is about Eco-terrorism.
Teri
Decided to read this one next - based on events that happened here in my area.
Didn't make me cry like her other book, but was still an enjoyable read.
Heather
Could not finish not my taste.
Lisa Reaume
Lisa Reaume marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013