Start by marking “The Tree-Sitter” as Want to Read:
The Tree-Sitter

The Tree-Sitter

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The author of The Hunger Moon pens a passionate and tensely pitched tale of first love and idealism set in the Oregon forest. A riveting and beautifully executed novel.
Published February 20th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Tree-Sitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree-Sitter

Jennifer W
Let's be honest, I picked this book because of its cover. There, I said it. I also picked it up because of its subject matter. For those who know me, I went to a little hippie college in the Northeast where a student was "weird" if they hadn't done something like tree sit. I vividly remember a good friend of mine being forcibly removed from a Home Depot for chaining himself to their lumber in protest of exactly the practices being described in the book. I, however, did not engage in these activi ...more
Robyn
Let me count the ways of why I didn't like this book:

1) It sounds like something I would have written myself when I was 17 and felt very DEEP about things. And I have always been a lousy creative writer. So you can see what I thought about this.

2) It reminded me of Bridges Over Madison County for the young environmental activist set.

3) It was so bad that I skipped whole paragraphs just to get through it quickly.

4) I finished it just so I could put up this review.
Catherine
Reading green for the book club.
Right now they're sitting in a tree.
Kristin
I probably picked this book up at the True Colors inventory sale. First, there is some awesome, beautiful writing in this book. As Julie, an east-coast native, travels west from the great plains:

...it came as a surprise to me, as we climbed and the stone began forming itself into towers and ridges, a skein of river unwinding to our left, the cattle thinning on the shrinking grasslands, how disoriented it made me feel. Paradoxically, I felt a ruse of homecoming at the same time I was registering
Courtney
Kind of disappointing. This sounded really interesting to me because trees! Environmentalism! Nature! But only a limited portion of the book was spent in nature, helping the cause, and the author went off on tangents about completely unnecessary subplots. It was also very slow to conclude. However, it did make some beautiful comparisons, and I learned more about activism. Good thing it was only a dollar at the book sale.
Whitney
Jul 28, 2010 Whitney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brynn, Erin
Shelves: 2010, fiction, romance
I think I found this book by accident, while searching for another fictional title about tree sitters. I'm glad I found it.

More than Earth First! type environmental activism, this book is about a woman negotiating for her own space within the boundaries of two relationships, that with her mother and that with her first "great" lover, Neil. I found myself rooting for Julie to create distance between herself and both relationships while also understanding the heartbreak associated with doing so.

I
Rachel
Sep 08, 2011 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves romance
Recommended to Rachel by: Summer reading
I liked it very much not only because of the plot, but how much romance there was in this book. I would recommend it to anyone who loves nature, loves romance, or even loves hearing breathtaking novels like this. One of the parts reminded me of Osama Bin Ladin and I thought that part was pretty good. If anyone loves a really good book and is interested, try this book because i thought it was pretty good on my opinion. I just hope that anyone who reads this book likes the book as much as i do.
Ruby
Nov 30, 2009 Ruby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
I'm embarrassed to say that I really liked this book because it contains some really sexually explicit dialogue. (I shared the book with a friend of mine who teaches college English as a possible choice for her students--she was completely scandalized by the book.) But there is mother-daughter drama which always intrigues and enlightens me and I really enjoyed learning about the radical environmentalist movement.
lynne naranek
It took me almost a month to finish this book: I usually consume books within a few days, but this one, I tended to take extended breaks between chapters.

I suppose one might say the writing style failed to engage me, despite the appeal of the content: "tree-hugging: how far would you go?" and "figuring out boundaries of a rather co-dependent mother-daughter relationship".
Laurie
A college girl falls in love and follows her beau to Oregon to protest clear-cutting.But there is a fine line between protesting and terrorism.Also between what we will and will not do for love.This book was good but short.It could have been fleshed out a lot more.
Jill
Random selection from the library. What I liked is that the main character is drawn in such a way that the reader can see her weaknesses in places she cannot. And, though there are some weaknesses, it is an interesting look at the question of what is terrorism, oddly.
Rachael
I didn't really enjoy it...the ethical dilemma of values and how far an environmentalist should go to maintaining them was interesting. but it wasn't really about that. It was slower than I liked, and I didn't really like any of the characters. It was fine.
Jennifer Caley
I really liked this book
EmilyS
Cute, I saw a lot of myself in it. Art history chick right out of college follows hot boy to California to protest logging of old growth forests. Wait, why didn't I do that?
Melissa Field
Nov 12, 2007 Melissa Field rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dina
The language in this book is extraordinary--the story surprising and the narrator lives that conflicted love affair that is part of all of us.
Amy
A novel that delve sinto how far people may go to save the planet wound around a story of an offbeat love affair.
Beatrice
Set mainly in Oregon, this very interesting story is about Eco-terrorism.
Teri
Decided to read this one next - based on events that happened here in my area.
Didn't make me cry like her other book, but was still an enjoyable read.
Heather
Could not finish not my taste.
Katie
Got the book at a library book sale. Thought it might be interesting as my husband is a forester working for a logging company. Glad I only paid a buck for it. Unnecessary coarse language throughout. Not much depth to the characters. The only redeeming factor in this book was the author's showcasing the hypocrisy of some of the many left wing nuts in the movement who value the creation over human lives and the God-given right for people to make a living to provide for their families.
Kerrikoala
Kerrikoala marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Sep 25, 2014
Danka
Danka marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Hunger Moon: A Novel A Trick of Nature Durable Goods Sea Level Pie (Kindle Single) (Ploughshares Solos Book 31)