Start by marking “Kill the Messenger: One Man's Fight Against Bigotry and Greed” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Kill the Messenger: On...

Ken H. Fortenberry

Kill the Messenger: One Man's Fight Against Bigotry and Greed

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  9 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Published December 31st 1989 by Peachtree Publishers (first published May 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Kill the Messenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill the Messenger

Emily
Oct 13, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone living in the Lakelands in South Carolina
Recommended to Emily by: Richard Whiting
Shelves: nonfiction
"For many white people in McCormick, the Civil War still rages. Yankees remain the enemy and "Dixie" will forever be the national anthem. Abraham Lincoln never was THEIR president and everybody knows that Martin Luther King, Jr., was a communist agitator. J. Edgar Hoover said so, and taht's good enough for most folks."
Lee
Nov 28, 2008 Lee rated it liked it
McCormick is my current hometown and this book is a past account of events that occurred there in the 80's. I was living in Germany during the time the book was written and not aware of the goings on in the south at that time. This is my second reading as the book is the "Read & Feed" book club selection for Oct.
Gloko48
Oct 05, 2008 Gloko48 rated it it was amazing
The Messenger is the weekly newspaper in our town of McCormick. In 1985 the author bought the paper and this is his story of his fight against bigotry and greed. CBS 60 minutes did a piece on this and the locals are still up in arms over the author's success in getting the sheriff of the county put in prison for embezzlement.
Tonya
Apr 10, 2013 Tonya rated it really liked it
Iam from Greenwood S.C not to far from McCormick and I had no Idea this was going on.Now I was only a young teen back then but it was neat to read something so close from home.My Husband's father owned a business around that time in McCormick but since has passed.I would have loved to talked to him about this, he new everyone in McCormick so iam sure he knew things also.
Ron Sitton
Ron Sitton rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Marie
May 06, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
Beth Firce
Beth Firce rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Anthony Lancianese
Anthony Lancianese rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Mike Lynch
Mike Lynch rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2010
Dollie
Dollie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2008
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Lanelle Wynn
Lanelle Wynn marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Shavona
Shavona marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Cassandra Perrin
Cassandra Perrin marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Ken P
Ken P marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2016