Start by marking “Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty” as Want to Read:
Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty

Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty

Discover the lost art of modesty.We live in the age of low-rise jeans, belly-button rings, and backless shirts. Many girls and young women today could not even define the word modesty, let alone tell you how to live it out. But Dannah Gresh has a new message for them: modesty itself is a delicate yet formidable power. In Secret Keeper, she teaches that modesty not only iss ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Moody Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Keeper

Emily
May 17, 2013 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book as a young teen and regret to say I shared it with others. Looking back now I can see a lot of the ideas were chock full of victim-blaming, evo-psych pseudo-science, and well-known adults in the American Christian community telling young women they deserved to be afraid of--and even experience--sexual assault. That that was God's intent and plan for them. I took these damaging concepts to heart because I believed a Christian adult wouldn't guide me wrongly.

Sam
Jul 07, 2011 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
It's books like this that I feared as a teen services librarian- heaven forbid one of my teen girls get sexually assaulted and have a book like this enforce upon them the idea that it was their fault. By all means, be spiritual and modest, but don't tell teen girls that they are at fault for all the things men do.
Colleen
Jun 05, 2014 Colleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I don't oppose dressing modestly, or as I view it: professionally, this book goes about it poorly. It is full of lies and is misleading. Specifically that all men are uncontrollably dictated by their natural urges (that's not degrading to men at all) and that women are at fault for what happens to them after tempting men with their immodest clothing (in other words: victim blaming). Women are discussed objectively, as objects that men desire in order to complete themselves and womens' only ...more
Amanda Butler
May 26, 2014 Amanda Butler rated it did not like it
Shelves: christian
Under the guise of feminine power, this book is full of victim blaming and shaming. This is a disgusting book and the only time I would give this to someone is to explain the exact opposite of what this book stands for.
Erin Cataldi
Nov 24, 2013 Erin Cataldi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is the second book I've read by Dannah Gresh and it just confirmed my belief that she is the most talented and inspired female christian non-fiction author.

This book explores what modesty really is compared to today's standards. With soo many conflicting images in the media it can be hard for Christian girls to know what is morally acceptable to wear. Dannah breaks down what the bible says and what it means for christian girls who want to be morally and spiritually pure for God and their f
Rachel
Nov 10, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens
On a whim, I picked this little book up and read it. It's such a refreshing outlook for teen girls about the way they dress and act, compared with what we are bombarded with on a daily basis. A great read for any teen girl who values herself, along with purity and honor.
Emily Williams
Aug 01, 2012 Emily Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a subject close to my heart. I feel like as a culture we are so exposed and into vulgarity and I really want my kids to understand that this isn't what God calls them to. For both my sons and my daughters I found many good tips and insights in this book.
Katie
Sep 07, 2013 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't even. Absolutely disgusting. I actually started to cry when I read it. I was so fucking pissed. Anti feminism. Anti women.
Melanie
Dannah Gresh tackles a much need topic in modesty for young ladies. In a time when ‘anything goes’, Christian girls continue to want to fit in with their peers. What does the Bible say about modesty? Do these young girls need to wear dresses to their ankles and veil their faces?

Dannah expresses to the girls that they are uniquely beautiful and God intends for that beauty to intoxicate one man that she will marry. Until that time comes, there are some basic guidelines to help a girl be more modes
I wanted to like this book more than I did. I've always been a big proponent of modesty, so I like that aspect of the book and the practical guidelines to be modest yet fashionable, but I did not like that it was so centered on guys. Yes, it's good to include some information for teen girls about how hormones effect guys, but I did not like the view that a woman's beauty was given to her by God for her husband. As much as the book is saying that modesty gives women power (which I agree with), al ...more
Hannah
Jan 14, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secret Keeper is a very good book! It challenged me to realize the power that I have and made me not want to let the way that I dress cause men to sin. Definitely would recommend to every girl!!
Olivia
Jan 19, 2017 Olivia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh, not amazing and a bit bland. Some things were good but others were utterly ridiculous. Just a Meh read. 3rd star for cool formatting.
Liv Fisher
My mom and I read this together a few years ago. It's a truly well-written and enlightening little read, and explains so much about how guys think and why God asks us to be modest. :)
Heather
Dec 14, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secret Keeper is a modest little book, tiny in size and packed with power. Dannah makes it her mission to make modesty attainable. She strips away the myths of fashion trends and appeals to a female's reasoning while gracefully incorporating Biblical revelation. Dannah teaches modesty with fun little tests that include visual demonstrations. She also shares some advertising tricks of the trade with deep and profound relevance to women. I also enjoyed her explanation of sin as "missing the mark". ...more
Vivian
Nov 01, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This little gift book gets stars for content, layout, research, approach, and heart.

New to me was the Old Testament Hebrew root word for sin, which is "chatta" and it's meaning is literally "to miss the mark". The author goes on to say, "Spiritually, the bull's eye is God's intended purpose for you. He delights in your hitting the mark because He knows that, since this is what you were created for, it will be most fulfilling." She continues, "God isn't up there saying, 'Bad! Bad girl! You reall
Heather Hart
May 18, 2016 Heather Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short but powerful book on modesty. I was a little worried about how such a big subject could be adequately covered in so few words, but Gresh nailed it.

I will say I was under the impression that Gresh wrote for the preteen/ tween audience, but this book was obviously written for teens. Probably 16 and up as it touches on some more explicit topics and the author admittedly covers some college course topics. It definitely won't work for my younger girls, but I will save it till they ar
Shawna
May 05, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenage girls and their moms
I was hoping to read a different book by this author ("Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl), but this was the only book the local library had. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this quick read. Gresh did a great job of explaining the importance of modesty to a teenage audience. I loved the scripture references and examples she shared. I really appreciated the chapter on "the inner quality" and how she included modesty in the form of how you act around guys. I'm LDS and didn't know any ...more
Tonya
Jan 16, 2013 Tonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
This is the perfect gift to give to each teenage girl you know or come in contact with!

Such great advice, all taken straight from the Bible! Really it is a sin to me immodest. To cause another to sin because of your own sin, bleck. Doesn't sound so good does it? But it's fashion. If we decide to follow ourselves and our own ways of thinking, do we truly love our God? Ugh. Hits home doesn't it?

I love the bullseye way of thinking. Really a good activity to do with teenage girls. Dannah Gresh real
Shantelle
The Secret Keeper was a short book with a big message. I really liked it, because it didn’t drag on… wasn’t a huge book that overwhelmed you. Instead, it was short and sweet and made you think.

It was about modesty, with a little different twist to explaining it than usual, I think. –Really interesting. Really encouraging and thought-provoking at the same time.

I encourage girls and young women struggling with staying modest to read this book. Dannah Gresh really brings across a powerful messag
Annette
Apr 29, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers and daughters
Recommended to Annette by: LDFR
This book is an absolute MUST for ALL girls ages 12 and up! This is a book on modesty from a Christian perspective - THE BEST book I've come across on the subject. Even though the author isn't LDS she upholds the same standards. I highly recommend that mothers read it with their daughters because it's important that both are well informed. It's a small little book, you can easily get through in less than an hour, you'll be glad you did.
Crystalin
Mar 31, 2008 Crystalin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed with how this book handled the delicate subject of modesty. It did a great job discussing why modesty is so powerful among men and women, but at the same time it did it in a way that 1)doesn't make young women get defensive, and 2)doesn't give more information than is needed(great for keeping innocence intact). I highly recommend this book to young women, especially over Wendy Shalit's books(which include a lot of graphic information).
Rachel
Hmm, interesting. Certainly written for the teenage pop culture segment of society. I have a bit of a hard time with the emphasis on "your power" and "your incredible beauty" but she's got some really good points about why modesty is important for the sake of the guys. She also has some good practical modesty guidelines/tests.
Celeste Batchelor
Nov 21, 2008 Celeste Batchelor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved this book! I bought this little book for my girls, but I found I could learn a lot from this book as well. One of my favorite parts of this book is the 6 "tests" it gives to know if your clothing is modest. I used these tests and found a few things in my closet that needed to go. We refer to this book often in teach about modesty. It is Christian based and has many biblical references.
Natalie Reed
Jan 15, 2016 Natalie Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like how she approaches the topic of modesty and makes the readers know that the modesty is an attitude and not just about what you wear. The illustration of the statue has remained in my memory. The book does offer suggestion on what to wear to be modest; I just wished it recognized that when it comes to clothing, culture influences what is considered modest.
Samantha
Jul 25, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helped me see modesty as something I do because I love God. I think this book really focused well on the heart attitude, instead of just laying out a bunch of rules and saying, 'here, follow these.' lol.
Natalie
Nov 05, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secret Keeper is a book that makes you think. It makes you reconsider your choices. This book belongs in the hands of every girl seeking to honor God in her clothing choices. Dannah Gresh, thank you for such an inspiring book!
Sweetpea
Nov 07, 2014 Sweetpea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. In a culture of booty shorts and cleavage, I found this book refreshing. Maybe more young girls would be young ladies if they read this!
Nickie
Mar 28, 2012 Nickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this before I turn it over to my daughters. So far I really like it and I love the word allure and the powerful meaning it holds especially when held with modesty, virtue, and Chasity. There are fun examples of test you can do to see if your clothes are immodest.
Julia
Sep 02, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
A must-have for teenage daughters. Discusses modesty and the importance of in a fresh, fun way. The book is short, to the point, has lots of pictures and examples of famous people who value modesty. I highly recommend it.
Cassondra
May 29, 2012 Cassondra rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I think every teenage girl must read it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • A Young Woman's Walk with God: Growing More Like Jesus
  • For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think
  • The Truth About Guys
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free, Companion Guide
  • The Mark of a Man
  • It’s (Not That) Complicated: How to Relate to Guys in a Healthy, Sane, and Biblical Way
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • Every Young Woman's Battle: Guarding Your Mind, Heart, and Body in a Sex-Saturated World
  • MEAN GIRLS
  • For the Love of God: A Woman's Guide to Finding Faith and Getting Grace
  • Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman
  • When Dreams Come True: A Love Story Only God Could Write
  • Dating Mr. Darcy
  • Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Wait For Me: Rediscovering the Joy of Purity in Romance
Dannah Gresh, a mother/daughter communication coach, has sold well over three quarters of a million copies of her books—including And the Bride Wore White and 2008's best-selling CBA youth book, Lies Young Women Believe (coauthored with Nancy Leigh DeMoss)—making her one of the most successful Christian authors targeting teens and preteens. With the belief that today's culture has been seeking to ...more
More about Dannah Gresh...

“When you truly love God, you obey Him.” 10 likes
“[She] awkwardly grasped for an answer based upon going to church. The more she talked, the more she realized that she knew a lot about God, but she didn't have a personal relationship with Him.” 2 likes