Start by marking “The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy, #4)

The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy #4)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The campus of St. Agatha's College, Cambridge University, is steeped in history. One particular building, however, has a history that most would rather forget---a tower that has drawn several students to their death. Much discouraged by the authorities, it is a college tradition for students to try their luck jumping the gap between a window and a pediment---nicknamed Hard ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published February 22nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Quarto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Quarto

Nikki
I've read Jill Paton Walsh's continuations of Dorothy L. Sayers' work, so when I spotted this in the library, I was curious enough to pick it up. It's the most recent in a series, unfortunately, but that doesn't get in the way too much -- though there's a definite woodenness about the central character Imogen, which might or might not have been helped by reading the previous books.

Walsh's choice of detective is an interesting one. Shades of Harriet Vane are made painfully obvious by the referenc
Sharon
Apr 29, 2007 Sharon marked it as to-read
Shelves: mysterythriller
reviewed by the Times-Dispatch; 4th in Imogen Quy series; academic in tradition of Dorothy L. Sayers

Cherry Williams
A wonderful murder mystery series written by the author selected to continue writing the Dorothy L. Sayers books. Our heroine is a college nurse in England, akin to Mary Roberts Rinehart's Miss Pinkerton, another wonderful book which should be on Kindle. Intricately plotted, textured with culture and literary references, Jill's characters make me feel like I'm in a scene where Inspector Morse has just stepped off stage. You care what happens to the people, become engrossed in the plot while at t ...more
Mary Ronan Drew
The last and best of Jill Paton Walsh's Imogen Quy (rhymes with Why) mysteries revolves around the Bad Quarto of Hamlet, a book that is much shorter than the play as we know it, that contains no dumb show before the play within the play, and that makes a perfect vehicle for a Cambridge student named Mottle to accuse a professor of murdering his friend Talentire.

Imogen is the college nurse at St Agatha's and when the lodgers in her old family house ask her to help with The Kyd Players, a universi
Patricia Uttaro
I was browsing a few weeks ago among the fabulous displays done by the Lit staff at the Central Library and happened across a familiar author writing in an unfamiliar genre. Jill Paton Walsh has been one of my top 10 favorite young adult authors ever since Ellin Chu made me read A Parcel of Patterns years ago. Imagine my surprise and delight when I fouund that she’s now writing mysteries for adults.

The Bad Quarto is the latest in her Imogen Quy (rhymes with “why”) series. Imogen is a nurse at St
Andy Plonka
I haven't read any of Walsh's books for adults and, since this is the 4th in the series maybe not the best place to start, but I learned a bit about Shakespeare and a bit more about Cambridge. The mysterious element was the plus to the equation.
Stven
An excellent short mystery novel set amongst the thespians and academics of Cambridge University. As it is not quite formulaic in its progression from unsettling death to explanations, a certain charm of unorthodoxy is added to the more immediately apparent charms of the company and traditions of the English. "The Bad Quarto," I learned, is the scholar's term for that early edition or draft of Shakespeare's play Hamlet which is seldom seen, but for whose rough virtues a case is here made within ...more
Toto
Although the idea of the nightclimbers of Cambridge spoiling a college production of Hamlet is a good one, the rest of the plot is not. Imogen Quy is a dullard as a sleuth as well as a character. Everyone, from age 20 to 70, sounds alike. Writting is dull dull dull.
Michale
Paton Walsh brings Imogen Quy back to life in this, her latest book in the series. Unlike the third book in the series, this rendering of Imo is spot-on. Her loves and motivations make good emotional sense, and tie in perfectly with the delightful mishmash of a Shakespearean mystery. "The play's the thing," she quotes, and I had to pull out my "Hamlet," although I have only my Folger Library edition from high school, not the "bad quarto" of the title. Paton Walsh refers repeatedly to Sayers' "G ...more
Susan
St. Agatha's nurse Imogen Quy is faced with a problem. Make that many problems, from a student with a bad temper to a room that attracts Cambridge's reckless night climbers to a dear friend who is very sick. She doesn't need to get involved in her lodger's dramatic group, that needs to put on a very specific production to please a wealthy undergraduate who's willing to bail them out of a financial tight spot. While I love all the Imogen Quy books, it does irritate me when there's clearly one que ...more
Les Wilson
I didn't find up much of DLS's style I this book. Still not a bad read.
Kirsty Darbyshire
The first in this series was ok, I found the second unexpectedly great, then the third seemed to be unavailable. That seemed curious as the others are on Kindle, but the reviews of the third seemed to think it wasn't as good, so I skipped straight on to the fourth. A decent story; I like the classic Cambridge college style of the mystery brought into the present day world. There's something a bit anachronistic about it but it is enjoyable. It's a pity it seems to be the final entry in the series ...more
Carolynne
Oct 29, 2008 Carolynne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: CLM, Bethany
Shelves: mysteries
Imogen Quy becomes involved with a group producing a version of Hamlet. Unfortunately a wealthy donor is calling the shots, including playing the title role himself. When the play is performed for an audience, the reason for his insistence is made abundantly clear, and it leads to another literate, entertaining mystery for Nurse Quy to solve. Wonderful Cambridge setting--it almost makes me forget I broke my shoulder there!
Yay for Jill Paton Walsh!
Luanne
I enjoyed the references to the Shakespearean play and to how it was staged. The parallels between the play and the mystery being investigated were also intriguing. I like the character of Imogen Quy, and I love Jill Paton Walsh's writing. Her continuations of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries are still my favorites. The Imogen Quy mysteries are above average, but they are not on the same level at all with the Wimsey books, IMHO.
Karin Jacobson
This book isn't great literature and it isn't a very mysterious mystery--but it's fun. The book includes many of my favorite elements: a likeable woman detective, a British university setting (Cambridge), and lots of urban climbing. I'm sure I'll be reading more Imogen Quy mysteries--probably soon.
Maureen Keillor
Neat little mystery, a delectable blend of "Gaudy Night" and Maisie Dobbs set in Cambridge. Fascinating historical info about Shakespeare's "Hamlet," as well as a theme of the limits of scientific "experts" and an interesting peek into academic rivalries.
Katharine
An enjoyable read with a good sense of place and an interesting mystery though the heroine does seem too good to be true at times. There's also a bit too much of an academic discussion of an aspect of the plot which seems rather clumsily tacked on.
LP
Ultimately unsatisfying conclusion to the mystery, but all the incidental stuff about Cambridge academic life (and narrow boats on the canals!) was interesting.
Vicki
One of my favorites in this series. There's not much of a mystery, but some of the images she evokes are lasting.
Ellen Ramsey
Not as intriguing or as satisfying a book as A Piece of Justice, but definitely an interesting book.
Gray
Always uncomfortable when the detective makes decisions about justice, totally ignoring the courts.
Liz
Very good traditional British mystery by an underrated author.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
  • The Raven and the Nightingale (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #3)
  • Babel (Brock & Kolla, #6)
  • Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)
  • Murder In The Afternoon (Kate Shackleton, #3)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • A Christmas Guest (Christmas Stories, #3)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • Rebels and Traitors
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • The Monster in the Box (Inspector Wexford, #22)
Jill Paton Walsh was born Gillian Bliss in London on April 29th, 1937. She was educated at St. Michael's Convent, North Finchley, and at St. Anne's College, Oxford. From 1959 to 1962 she taught English at Enfield Girls' Grammar School.

Jill Paton Walsh has won the Book World Festival Award, 1970, for Fireweed; the Whitbread Prize, 1974 (for a Children's novel) for The Emperor's Winding Sheet; The
More about Jill Paton Walsh...

Imogen Quy (4 books)
  • The Wyndham Case (Imogen Quy, #1)
  • A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)
  • Debts of Dishonor (Imogen Quy, #3)
A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2) The Attenbury Emeralds (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #3) Knowledge of Angels The Green Book The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #4)