Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)

Termination Dust (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The virgin landscape along the Yukon River has hardly changed since the gold rush began in 1897. Frostbiting winds slice the rugged terrain, and, like a shroud, the first dusting of snow covers the low hills. Braving thick snow on the Top of the World Highway--where one slip could mean a fall down thousands a cold-blooded killer. His only witness is Jim Hampton, a rugged c...more
Published May 1st 1996 by Avon Books (first published May 1995)

The Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerAlaska by James A. MichenerThe Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Alaska Tales
46th out of 146 books — 110 voters
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
Ice and Snow
183rd out of 325 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
This book started out really exciting and the author wrote a wonderful sense of place (Canada/Alaska). I could feel the chill of the wind and snow and the warmth of the campfires.

However, toward the middle and last third I felt the author dragged the story. The dialogue seemed to go on without adding to the story and the pacing was just too slow. I also found I had a hard time keeping the cast of characters straight and the resolution of the mystery was way too convoluted for my taste.

This sto...more
Alannah Davis
Definitely one of the most irresistible mysteries I've read in a long time. The story hooked me immediately with the opening chapter, which focused on a miner during the Gold Rush in the late 1800s. After that tantalizing hook, the story skips to the present day with an equally intriguing mystery. The past and present intertwine, and it all adds up to a story so good that I spent the weekend doing little else but reading it. Five great big stars!
Beth
I thought the first 2 or so chapters were really interesting. I enjoyed the jusxtipostion of modern times and the finding of a journal over 100 years ago about a man's experience during the gold rush but things went downhill from there.

The mystery was really complicated with too many characters and suspects. I found it unreal that the mounty and police officer would befriend one of the suspects, take him out to eat, include him in the investigation etc. when they were not totally sure that he h...more
Lori
a little to convoluted for my taste
Gerry
Cool concept!
Starts with the death of someone in the Gold Rush.
Then of course comes the mystery in current times. And part of the mystery is the connection to this death so long ago!
There's a cool diary at the end of the story.
I learned a lot of history of the gold rush. I'd never really thought about what the details of that were. It was just a time in history when people went to Alaska to discover gold. Very interesting. And there is a museum here in Seattle about it. I must check this out.
ht...more
Dorothy Stout
I really like this series.
Elaine
Termination Dust is the term for the first snow fall in Alaska used by the sourdoughs ( miners) and marked the beginning of the end of the gold digging season. I enjoyed this book as much as the Iditatrod mysteries by Sue HEnry. This was two stories intertwined around the city of Dawson, Alaska. One in the early 1930's during the Gold Rush, and the other in contemporary Dawson. Sue Henry did a great job of tying them into a single narrative. WOuld like to go back to this part of Alaska. Missed i...more
Lena Jo
Oh yeah. I love Sue Henry and can't get enough of her work. I probably would have given this a five star rating but I wanted more of my musher Jessie in the book!! As usual Henry takes you to Alaska and makes you feel the bite of cold and the merry chase of many suspects and one killer. This book also has a great flow of new and old history - that didn't seem like a lesson! As usual this book goes on the shelf at work as a "Staff Recommendation!" For a cozy day on the couch with a glass of James...more
Maria Crosman
I just enjoy these
Jack
May 09, 2011 Jack rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: alaska
I read this out of order (it is 2, but I read 3 already) and I liked it. Not as much as 3, that was my favorite in the series so far. The order of this particular story did not mater at all. I liked this entry for the backround on gold mining and the Yukon. The way the author concocted the story around the old miner's journal was very good. Alex working along side a Canadian Mountie was an extra added story line. Good but not great.
Kathryn
I enjoyed Termination Dust, the second Alex Jensen/Jessie Arnold mystery. Although the writing is a little uneven, the characters are interesting and I like the bits of Alaska folklore and history woven into each story. I do wish the story moved along more quickly, it seems as if the plot gets stuck in some places, with a few too many twists and turns bogging it down. That being said, I look forward to the next book in the series.
Barbara
I enjoyed Termination Dust, the second Alex Jensen/Jessie Arnold mystery. I find the non criminal characters very likable. As with the first book, I like the Alaska story lines mixed with history. If you don't know the history of the Klondike gold rush, this is an interesting story.

I thought this story moved slowly and with too many characters that didn't have enough backstory.

I'm willing to give the series another try.
Jupie
Murder mystery with many twists and turns. I learned a lot about the gold miners that went to the Klondike to make a fortune. Author is a favorite of mine. She took an imaginary journal of a miner in 1897 who died and they mystery was both from that time and another one in the present. They were woven together with great skill. Can't wait to read another of her Alaskan mysteries.
Sandy
Jim Hampton is canoeing down a river in Alaska when he comes across some old bones and a journal. Before he can get to his destination he is hijacked and left for dead. He is found by police but they think he may have committed a murder or two and he now must try and prove he is not the killer. There was some history of the Dawson area and the gold rush but not much.
Jan
An engrossing mystery set in the Yukon in the late 1800s during the gold rush and athen in present day. Glimpses into the past are seen thru one prospector's diary which was found, with his bones, by a present day traveler. While it moved a little slow, vivid descriptions of the rawness of this country and the well developed characters make it well worth reading.
Ann
Sep 11, 2009 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery and Alaska buffs
Recommended to Ann by: Leila
An outdoorsman traveling down an Alaskan river finds a prosspector's diary from the 1800. The story takes place back and forth between the 1800 and current year, between early life of Alaska and a myrder mytery.
Molly Franks
Pretty good book. A lot of history about the Alaskan gold rush and a death / murder in 1897 that appears in 1997 as part of another murder. Made me super cold reading it so was a great read in 90+ southern temps.
Trish
Second in the 'Jessie Arnold' series of Alaska mysteries, although this one is primarily about Alex Jensen, her Alaskan State Trooper boyfriend. A good mix of modern murder and goldrush mystery.
Linda
I'm really enjoying this series, it's so much fun having adventures up in Alaska. This one had ties to the Alaskan Gold Rush and it was fun how it tied in to the modern story.
Kristine
Set in Alaska, a mystery that begins with a man finding the journal from an 1800s prospector. An excellent adventure/ mystery to be savored in front of a warm fire.
Shaunesay Eslanai
A fun series with an Alaska/Northern theme. This time Alex is in Canada working with the Canadian Mounties, and there is a lot of information on the Yukon gold rush.
Sandy Weir
After the first in this series, I enjoyed others including this one... change of location, but may of the same characters. Nice thriller for a vacation or weekend read.
Nicole
Like the descriptions and interwoven story. There was the current story, and the gold rush historical story all woven together nicely with great descriptions.
Connie
Sue Henry grabs you at the beginning of the book and keeps you guessing until the end! Good story and love the characters.
Nikki
I enjoyed this book, as I do all of Sue Henry's books. I especially liked the history of the gold rush that was included in it.
Jeanette
This was the 2nd book in a series of Alex Jensen. It was a good read with likable characters.
Matthew
Another winner. Fast-paced, well-written, and entertaining.
Jo Anne
I pretty much have read this entire series :)
Helen
superb page turner
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Murder Talks Turkey (Gertie Johnson, #3)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches...more
More about Sue Henry...
Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1) Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8) The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1) Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6) Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)