Start by marking “Satch & Me” as Want to Read:
Satch & Me

Satch & Me (Baseball Card Adventures #7)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  696 ratings  ·  56 reviews
You wanna know who threw the fastest pitch ever? Many baseball players claim that Satchel Paige was the fastest pitcher in the history of the game. Stosh and his coach, Flip Valentini, are on a mission to find out. With radar gun in tow, they travel back to 1942 and watch Satch pitch to power hitter Josh Gibson in the Negro League World Series. They soon learn that everyth ...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Satch & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satch & Me

air max
Dan Gutman’s book Satch & Me is really good. It is interesting because Satch is throwing over 100 mph and other stuff like that. There are so many exciting things in this book and that is why I like it. There are so many things that can go wrong! Will they?

One of the bad things that was in the 1920’s is that the blacks couldn’t do anything with whites. Satch wanted to play baseball in the major leagues, but he couldn’t play until he was 58. That was not too long after Jackie Robinson broke
Katie Dubik Schwarz
Ben and I finished this book today. Okay, that's not altogether true. Our babysitter read the last two chapters to Ben on Saturday night, and I was curious how the story wrapped up (and I can't NOT finish a book!) to read those chapters today.

In this book--and the 7 or 8 others in the series--a boy travels back in time by clutching onto the baseball card of the past. He learns a lot about the ball player on the card and a few other life lessons along the way. In this book, he learns about the gr
Kyle Ebert
Satch and Me
By:Dan Gutman
Kyle Ebert
10/16/14

Satch was claimed to be one of the fastest pitchers ever but there were no pitch detecters back then to say how fast he was. Stosh and his little league coach Flip travel back in time to see how fast he really was. They find out he may be one of the fastest pitchers to play the game. I think this a great book and I recommend this book to people who like fantasy sports books. This book it full of history and what life was like in the mid/early 1900s lik
Brandon
Title: Satch and Me
Author: Dan Gutman
Date Published: 2006
Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction, African American Segregation

There are many baseball players who claim that they are the fastest pitcher in the history of baseball and that’s what Stosh, the protagonist in the story, and his coach Flip Valentini want to find out. In the story, Satch and Me, Joe Stoshack a thirteen year old boy who is know as “Stosh” in the story. His Louisville little league baseball team is coached by Flip Valentini
Jeffrey Holt
Dan Gutman writes all sorts of books. They could be action or maybe something sports related. In this case he wrote about a man and too kids in a book titled"Satch and Me." Satchel Paige in this book plays for a team named the clowns in the Negro league and can pitch very fast. Flip and his friend Stosh try to find out how fast he can pitch. So they go back in time and meet Satchel Paige. While they are on their way there they meet this girl named Lavern and happens to like flip. When they go to ...more
Chance Johnson

"Satch and Me" is Dan Gutman's latest novel in the "Baseball Card Adventures" series. Once again, Stosh travels back in time to meet a baseball player. This time, he travels to 1942 to meet Satchel Paige.Stosh and his coach Flip are researching pitching statistics. They learn that Paige was a great pitcher in his time. Stosh and Flip use a Satchel Paige postcard to travel back to 1942 when Paige played. They want to use a radar gun to accurately measure the speed of Satch's pitches.Stosh and Fli
Nick G.
Satch and Me is a good book. I gave it four stars because it didn't have much action in it like Shoeless Joe and Me also Abner and Me. The best part was when they got to see Satchual Paige, believed to be the fastest pitcher in the world, pitch a fastball. Joe Stoshhack and his baseball coach Flip Valentini go back in time with a radar gun to see how fast he can pitch. The good part about this book is that they go back in time to 1942 and do all of the modern stuff that people back then thought ...more
82_#14 All
Satch and Me written by Dan Gutman is to me the best book of this series. The most memorible part of the book is when Satchel Paige got a sreeding ticket and he had the nerve to give the police officer double the amount of the speeding ticket cause he was going to be comin that same waybthe next day.In this book Joey, his baseball coach, and there trusty radar gun go back in time to see if Satch really threw the fastest pitch ever.

Flip and Joey find themselves back in an old time diner. Flip loo
Cutter Mitchell
Satch And ME was a very good book and I recommend you read it. I really got a sense of Satchs attitude and how he thought he was so great and how the team was structured around him. I always think it's funny just when Joe is about to make history, something goes wrong, and just like the other books this book did that as well. This book is very good and I think its the second best book in the series. Great read-five stars.
Codyemayle
Satch and Me is a great book for anyone who loves baseball. Joe Stoshack goes back in time to see if Satchel Paige was the fastest pitcher in history. It shows how African Americans life was so bad and dull that no one actually knows until they are in their position. As Joe goes through the book realizing how bad life was he has to follow Satch and has to be treated like one. Something else I have to say is that for the time period it shows a great amount of facts for a fiction book. I loved the ...more
Blake Lauchner
This book was a great book for baseball lovers and also people who love a great ending to a book.Flip a coach of a little league team and his friend stosh go back in time to meet satchel Paige and clock his fastest pitch.Things go a little unexpectedly but if you want to find out more get this book...
Michael
"This is the great Josh Gibson. The Brozed Bambino. Prob'bly the greatest hitter in baseball history. Hey Josh, is it true you hit 84 homers in 1936? Is it true you batted .600 one year?

"It's true," Gibson sighed. "All of it."

"Numbers don't mean nothin'," one of the other players said. "I remember this one time we were playin' in Pittsburgh and Josh hit one outta sight. Looked like it was never gonna come down. The next day we were playin' in Philly and this ball comes flying out of the sky. So
Tommy
( this book counts as 2)
now Stoch and Flip. Flip is Stoches baseball couch and a baseball card store owner. he and Stoch go back in time.

now this was probably my least favorite book from the baseball adventure series. Sachel page probably throws the hardest of all time. but there's no way to prove this. so they bring a radar gun with them. and they meat him at a dinner and they see how hard he throws and they go to his games and there they only white once there. at this time he was playing in t
Ben Crosbie
Interesting book about Satchel Paige and the times before black people could play Major League Baseball.
Jt Mckibben
I think this book was really cool how he could travel back in time through the baseball card.
Isaac O-l
September, Tuesday. 30-30 minutes
October,Wednesday, 2-10 minutes
October, Thursday, 3-10 minutes
October,Friday, 4-20 minutes
October , Saturday, 5-20 minutes

October, Tuesday,7-30 mintues

all on the paper i handed in
Anthony
This book was about a boy named joe stoshack who goes back in time with his friend flip valentini to find out how fast satchel paige pitched back in the day when he pitched. so they go back with a radar gun, and flip meets a girl thats a waitress for a diner and they fall in love and she helps them to find the speed of satchel paiges fastest pitch.

I liked this book because i like to learn about baseball history and this book really caught my eye.
Gg
I thought it was amazingly written and was very detailed but easy to follow. It is perefectly paced and it sucks you in you never want to put it down. It is deafinatly a really good book. If you ever see it you should deafinatly give it a try. It is about a boy who can time travel. This time he tries to go back in time and see if Satchel Paige (one of the best pitchers of all time but he played mostly in the Negro leagues) threw the hardest pitch ever.
Trevor Waldorf
I like every book of this series but this was my favorite of them all! I liked it more because they brought technology back in time with them and it made people in past freak out because they didnt know what it did and they thought it was a super weapon of some sort! The point of the going back in time was to find out that if the famous pitcher Satchel Paige threw harder than any current day pitcher!This was my favorite of the series by far!
Jenny
I am reading this book with my 8 year old son. He is LOVING it. The main character in the book has the ability to go back in time if he is holding an old baseball card. What I enjoy about this book is that this magical ability is really a tiny part of the book. The book is really about what the main character learns as he travels back in time about different people, racism, etc. I am excited to read others in this series.
Craig Anderson
I listened to the audio book of this - and it was great. A matter of fact I was on my way to a historical conference where I was going to be speaking at some local schools. It was so enjoyable and so fact filled I included some of the – “did you know/ever heard of” topics in my presentation. A wonderful look into the Negro Leagues and a piece of history that should not be forgotten. I will be listening to the rest for sure.
Hunter
This book is about a famous baseball player. He meets these 2 people who travel through time. They go and meet them and watch them play baseball. They try to see how fast this baseball player can throw with a radar gun. Flip one of the guys who traveled through time fell in love. The other one left flip there to change his life all around. When he got back to the future he realized he changed his friends lif bigley.
Jason
"Satch & Me" by Dan Gutman is a great book for anyone who loves baseball. It shows how African Americans life was so bad and dull, that no one actually knows until they are in their position. As Joe goes through the book realizing how bad life was he has to follow Satch and has to be treated like one. The book shows great amounts of actual facts, for being a fiction book and is great for all adventurous people.
Pam Torres
I'm not usually a big fan of sports books, there has to be a lot more than just a few awesome plays to keep my interest. There has to be heart. I have to feel something more than just "Go Team". Traveling back in time to to record how fast Satch's pitch was combined historical highlights, adventure and ultimately, a choice that has to be made. Gutman supplied all of that and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
Robbie
This is a very good book that will always make you keep reading.I could read this book many times and not get sick of it once. Something new and interesting happens in every chapter. In this book Stooh travels back in time using a baseball card. His goal is to find out if Satch was the fastest pithier in baseball history. See if he can do this in this interesting baseball book.
Brandon Denison
I think Satch and Me, by Dan Gutman, is the best book in this series. It tells you so much about what life was like for african american people back in the 1940's. My favorite part is when Flip (Joes friend that is lik 80 years old in real life but is 18 in the 40's) gets to pitch in a game but he gets 4 strait home runs hit off of him. It was really funny.
Marilu Cardenas
I really liked this book because it is fiction and has some real facts so your still learning something. This book starts out with this kid who can travel in time with baseball card and he goes and meets people in this story Stosh goes meets Satchel Paige before he got to the major leagues, back in the "Negro Leagues".
Justin Grove
I liked this book. It had action and it was funny. I can't believe Satch told his infield and outfield to go in. Satch is funny. He told the officer that he'll be back tomorrow so he payed double. He also asked the hitter which pitch he wanted him to throw. I liked this book a lot and you should too.
Ari
I love Satchel Paige and wish I could have seen him pitch. Good introduction to someone non-baseball fans/non African Americans may have never heard of. And it humanizes him, I only knew him from his stats, the legend, it was fun to read about what he might have been like as a person.
  • Baseball Great
  • Free Baseball
  • Summer Ball
  • Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street
  • Go Big or Go Home
  • The Shadowhand Covenant
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • Kickoff!
  • The Summer of Riley
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • The Red Rose Box
  • A Strong Right Arm: The Story of Mamie "Peanut" Johnson (Carter G Woodson Honor Book (Awards))
  • Catcher with a Glass Arm
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...
The Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #1) Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mission Unstoppable Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)