Start by marking “A History of Ancient Rome” as Want to Read:
A History of Ancient Rome
Preview

A History of Ancient Rome

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This course explores the world of Ancient Rome as students investigate important events and key figures of the epoch.
Audio CD
Published 2003 by Recorded Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A History of Ancient Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Ancient Rome

Avis Black
I absolutely lost my temper with this one. The lectures are not college-level material. It is--quite seriously--aimed at about 6th grade level. If you have a brain anything above average, Tichener treats you like you're stupid. This was MADDENING to listen to, and I quit early on, unable to stand her relentless dumbing-down of Rome's history any longer.
Kelley (Against GR Censorship)
As a business student I didn't have many chances to learn about ancient history. So now that I am out of school, I like to fill in the gaps of my education in other disciplines. (like history) I really enjoyed the journey from the beginning of Rome to the fall of the empire. The first couple lectures explained how Romans lived and their beliefs. By the middle of the lectures it was more of just listing leaders and their battles. I would have been interested to know more about how their lifestyle ...more
Steven
This overview of the history of ancient Rome is quite interesting and occasionally entertaining (her description of the Gauls when they came up against Rome early on is a hoot). Listening to Professor Titchener's 14 lectures in this CD set is is a rather painless way to obtain a rudimentary understanding of the history of the Roman Republic and Empire. There are two lectures on each of seven CDs accompanied by a little booklet which contains some an outline of the same information in the lecture ...more
Jill
Super fun and interesting once you get over Titchener's awful Midwestern accent.
Matt
I'm surprised there aren't more favorable reviews of this lecture series. I thought it was excellent. Titchener does a good job laying out events in a logical sequence. She seems to cover only the pertinent information in an even way. She has a knack for explaining complicated principles and she even has a pretty good sense of humor. Overall, I thought the course was very interesting and surprisingly entertaining.
Dwain
An overarching view of the most powerful empire in the history of the western world. My only complaint is a noticeable tendency to render favorable moral judgments on the Roman Empire's statist/liberal/"progressive" tendencies.
Iwaswondering
Excellent account of the era for a 7 hour lecture. Interesting. Kept me listening.
Jackie
Great information and wonderful intonation by Frances Titchener. I learned a lot.
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Nadire Polat
Nadire Polat marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Johnman
Johnman marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Belatech
Belatech marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jo Kim
Jo Kim added it
Jan 27, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Nov 16, 2013
Rohit
Rohit marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
To Rule Mankind and Make the World Obey: A History Of Ancient Rome (Portable Proffessor: World History)