Start by marking “A History of Ancient Rome” as Want to Read:
A History of Ancient Rome

A History of Ancient Rome

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This course explores the world of Ancient Rome as students investigate important events and key figures of the epoch.
Audio CD
Published 2003 by Recorded Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A History of Ancient Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Ancient Rome

Avis Black
Nov 04, 2014 Avis Black rated it did not like it
Shelves: lectures
I absolutely lost my temper with this one. The lectures are not college-level material. It is--quite seriously--aimed at about 6th grade level. If you have a brain anything above average, Tichener treats you like you're stupid. This was MADDENING to listen to, and I quit early on, unable to stand her relentless dumbing-down of Rome's history any longer.
Kelley (Against GR Censorship)
Jul 22, 2014 Kelley (Against GR Censorship) rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic-history
As a business student I didn't have many chances to learn about ancient history. So now that I am out of school, I like to fill in the gaps of my education in other disciplines. (like history) I really enjoyed the journey from the beginning of Rome to the fall of the empire. The first couple lectures explained how Romans lived and their beliefs. By the middle of the lectures it was more of just listing leaders and their battles. I would have been interested to know more about how their lifestyle ...more
Campbell
Mar 23, 2016 Campbell rated it it was ok
This was okay, nothing more. An acceptable introduction to the topic but not detailed enough for my tastes.
Steven
Feb 12, 2011 Steven rated it liked it
This overview of the history of ancient Rome is quite interesting and occasionally entertaining (her description of the Gauls when they came up against Rome early on is a hoot). Listening to Professor Titchener's 14 lectures in this CD set is is a rather painless way to obtain a rudimentary understanding of the history of the Roman Republic and Empire. There are two lectures on each of seven CDs accompanied by a little booklet which contains some an outline of the same information in the lecture ...more
Jill
Sep 20, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Super fun and interesting once you get over Titchener's awful Midwestern accent.
Matt
Nov 16, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised there aren't more favorable reviews of this lecture series. I thought it was excellent. Titchener does a good job laying out events in a logical sequence. She seems to cover only the pertinent information in an even way. She has a knack for explaining complicated principles and she even has a pretty good sense of humor. Overall, I thought the course was very interesting and surprisingly entertaining.
Dwain
Jan 23, 2011 Dwain rated it liked it
An overarching view of the most powerful empire in the history of the western world. My only complaint is a noticeable tendency to render favorable moral judgments on the Roman Empire's statist/liberal/"progressive" tendencies.
Iwaswondering
Mar 09, 2009 Iwaswondering rated it it was amazing
Excellent account of the era for a 7 hour lecture. Interesting. Kept me listening.
Jackie
Nov 27, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Great information and wonderful intonation by Frances Titchener. I learned a lot.
Manny
Manny rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Feb 05, 2016
Malone Walker
Malone Walker rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Togtuun Bold
Togtuun Bold is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Josh Goodnough
Josh Goodnough rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Matt Walsh
Matt Walsh rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Rahul Banerjee
Rahul Banerjee rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Tara van Brederode
Tara van Brederode rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Allena Weber
Allena Weber rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Dmitriy Klimchuk
Dmitriy Klimchuk rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Steinar Opphus
Steinar Opphus rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Nadire Polat
Nadire Polat marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Johnman
Johnman marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Anders
Anders rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Belatech
Belatech marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jonathan  McGaha
Jonathan McGaha rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014