Start by marking “Gone (Gone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Gone, #1)

Gone (Gone #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  129,402 ratings  ·  8,248 reviews
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. Gone. Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help. Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves ...more
Published May 19th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Kia I LOVE the Gone series. I would read the entire series over and over again, but the first time already brought me through an emotional roller coaster.
Liv This series is like the Maze Runner series in some ways, like the kids are all alone and need to survive with weird creatures lurking about and all…moreThis series is like the Maze Runner series in some ways, like the kids are all alone and need to survive with weird creatures lurking about and all that jazz, but I've read almost all the books and found them slow paced, but you should give the first book a try. Hope I helped! (less)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I read this book out of curiosity, with no preconceived notions. Merely because I was curious what kids would do in a world with no adults. I admit I was blown away.

Mr. Grant told me a story that I couldn't put down. From the beginning, my mind was full of questions about how this happened, how the kids would survive, what could prevent the same thing from happening again....So many questions.

Sam is the kind of boy you want to have around when the world goes crazy. He's definitely the reluctant
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well, I'm trying to write reviews more often. But I don't have anything to review today, so this will be one of my days where I revisit one of my old reviews and try to like ... write it in proper English. Since, a few years ago, I wasn't very good at doing that.

So, obviously, I didn't care for this book. I remember seeing it around in book stores a lot, and thinking it looked kinda cool and mysterious. And it sounded like an interesting premise––the adults just disappearing and whatnot. You kno
Kat Kennedy
I suppose I should provide some kind of explanation as to why I didn't finish reading this book.

It's not because the concept was stupid - actually the concept was quite interesting and would make for a fantastic philosophical discussion.
It's not because it was poorly written - actually it was written quite well with a great plot and interesting world building and action packed scenes.
It's not because the characters were horrible or annoying - Actually, Sam is really likable if not frustrating, A
I put this book aside about two weeks ago, saying I would definitely go back and finish it as I only had about 100 pages left. But it doesn’t look like it now. I’m simply not in the mood to pick it up again. And as I’m not planning on spending money on the next instalments of the series, I will probably never read them anyway, so why continue here?

I really don’t know why Gone wasn’t able to intrigue me. It is a clever and absolutely thought-provoking story that definitely got me thinking. How wo
Emily May
This was a very good book about adventure, mutants, superheroes and just the plain old story of surviving high school... only this time there are no adults to keep a check on things.

This novel tells the story of how one day in a small Californian town everyone 15 and over mysteriously disappears. But that's not all. The town becomes surrounded by a strange spherical barrier, no one gets in or out. And stranger still, the children and teenagers left behind are discovering that some of them have w
K.D. Absolutely
Highly enjoyable. Hooks you at the very start. I drive through the traffic everyday: about an hour in the morning and definitely more than an hour at nighttime. So, while reading the first few pages of the book, I said, wow this should happen here in Manila. Imagine all adults to disappear altogether without a trace at one time and all adolescents will follow once they turn fifteen. Obviously, this is okay as long as I and my loved ones are exempted hehe.

This is a YA book and so the characters a
Jul 18, 2008 Lara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, really.
I hereby predict that, sometime in the next year or so, the next big Young Adult obsession will be with the book Gone, by Michael Grant, and with the subsequent books that I hope he writes quickly because I might die if I don't know the what and the why and the how and the...well, EVERYTHING. (This is apparently the first in a series of six books.)

I also predict that it will take off like the Harry Potter and the Twilight Series, with almost as many adults reading the series as kids.

For one thi

Gone by Michael Grant has to be one of the most frustrating novels I've read recently. Taking place in a dystopia where all the adults have disappeared, à la Lord of the Flies mixed in with some kids mysteriously getting superpowers sounds really good on paper. Too bad it didn't work when given 560 pieces of paper to work with.

The basic plot of Gone is about anybody above the age of 15 disappearing into thin air. Naturally, this leaves quite a few problems for the surviving children: there are b
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
Rating: 1/5

One of my best friends read Gone, and loved the series, so she recommended it to me. The premises sounded interesting, so I decided to buy it, thinking I would really enjoy it, but boy was I wrong.

First off, (minor spoiler) (view spoiler)
Honestly, get over yourselves.

And then, the chapters about Lana. I remember the first couple times the perspective switched to her, it was like...
"She sat in the meadow whi
*4.5 stars* Full review coming soon!
This is my first exposure to Michael Grant's writing, and he totally blew me away. Maybe it was because I am partial to the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but truthfully I don’t think it had anything to do with it. This story was just.... WOW!

Imagine sitting in class one day, maybe you are paying attention to your teacher, maybe you are daydreaming about surfing, then all of a sudden your teacher disappears. What would you do?

It just so happens that this very scenario happens to Sam Temple in his histor
The kids of Perdido Beach suddenly-very suddenly-find themselves alone. Everyone over age 14 has disappeared without a trace. It's up to the kids to make their own society to keep themselves alive. Most of the kids want Sam to lead them, but he's not sure he's comfortable in the role. His new friends, Astrid and Edilio, and his best friend, Quinn, have to help convince him to take his place as the leader of their newfound society, as well as struggle to stay alive amidst chaos, bullies, and the ...more
I tried and tried to love this book, but I just couldn't connect with it. The concept was a brilliant one. It was the reason I decided to buy the book in the first place, but once I started reading it, I couldn't establish a connection with any of the characters.

I just felt as if I was an outsider and not able to grasp any of the emotions of the characters. I didn't feel as if I was part of the story. At times, I thought there was too much telling as opposed to showing. There were also many pass
I read a lot of books, but you knew that didn't you? While I enjoy most of the books I read, few stand out to me as amazing or memorable (this is why I give out so few five star reviews).

Gone is simply the best YA book I have read since Laurie Halse Anderson's Wintergirls, and stands right beside The Hunger Games and the Knife of Never Letting Go as some of the best dystopian sci-fi around...

In Perdido Beach, life is normal (mostly) until a sudden disruption results in the disappearance of ever
Morgan F
This book is one of the most thrilling and addictive books I've ever read! The incredibly paced plot and the abundant twists and turns made it nearly impossible to put down. Don't be intimidated by the length, it reads very quickly, and you'll be wishing for more by the end. I do have a couple complaints though, that I'm willing to ignore in order to give this book 5 stars. The characters are all very young, so don't expect the most challenging dialogue, and don't expect closure at all from the ...more
Oct 01, 2008 Sara rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
The premise of this book sounded so interesting - everyone over the age of 15 simply disappears one day and the remaining kids are left trying to figure out what happened... plus they discover that some of them are somehow developing supernatural powers. I was excited to read this and expected writing along the lines of Scott Westerfeld, based on the plot and such. But alas, the novel did not deliver for me and I put it down after 100 pages or so, when I found myself skimming pages and caring le ...more
Dit boek hè, moet je even heel snel gaan lezen want het is zo'n gaaf boek en een geweldig begin van een superspannende en epische serie! Nog niet overtuigd? Lees dan mijn recensie:
Apr 18, 2011 Joyzi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freaks and those who are not afraid of thick books
Recommended to Joyzi by: Goodreads and Youtube
Gone is like a mix of Lord of the Flies, Under the Dome, Animal Farm, Lost, Kid Nation, Heroes, X-Men and that Simpsons Movie...

Simpsons Movie Pictures, Images and Photos

This book I think is popular and also has quite number of fans but I haven't read it immediately because the book was very thick and I just find that I'm too lazy to follow a series like this. However I changed my mind and finally decided to read the first book.

At first my opinion about this book is, it is a very easy read. The sentences and the dialogues are kept simp
This book was a pleasant surprise. The plot is quite wild actually: one day, all people over the age of 15 disappear, and young kids are left to fend for themselves in a world, where "normal" rules no longer exist. In this new world, the FAYZ - Fallout Alley Youth Zone, the unimaginable happens - animals rapidly mutate, some kids acquire special X-men-like abilities, coyotes led by the mysterious Darkness try to overtake humans.

Undoubtedly, this sounds like a lot of craziness, and yet it all so
In the blink of an eye. Everyone dissapears. GONE. Those three lines pretty much sum up the plot of the book, and was cleverly placed on the front jacket cover. Michael Grant phenomonaly captured so many different plot elements and combined them into a dystopic apocolypse that resembled Lord of the Flies, yet also added an element that gave characters unique abilities (like one of my favorite TV shows, Heroes).

Every character in this book has dymanic, none of them fall flat at all. There are opp
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's a normal November morning at Perdido Beach, a small town of about 3,000 on the California coast jokingly called Fallout Alley by the locals because of the nuclear power plant not far away. Normal, that is, until, at eighteen past ten, everyone fifteen and older disappears in the blink of an eye.

Babies to fourteen year olds are the only ones left - bewildered, lost, afraid, alone. Grade nine students Sam, his best friend Quinn, and Astrid the Genius are quick to realise what's happened, but
Character development: 4/5
Plot:5/5 very clever
Overall: 4.3/5 enjoyed the series loads but I feel like it starts dragging on in the 5th book.
4.5 Stars!
This book was fun, funny and very fast paced!I really like all of the weirdness in this book. I also liked a lot of the characters! I think what I loved the most was the well roundness of the characters. We have a super dude, a Mexican, we have a challenged little kid and we have the teens from an academy their parents sent them because they were trouble. I recommend this book a lot. Can't wait to get to the sequel!
Olivia McCloskey
Gone begins in the quiet, seaside town of Perdido Beach. A seemingly ordinary day is quickly transformed into one of confusion and mass hysteria when everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears without a trace. In the absence of parents, teachers, doctors, and police, the children are left to fend for themselves. The lack of phones, internet, and television, as well as the quickly diminishing food supply convert the children's initial shock into terror. As the remaining citizens of Per ...more

3.5 Stars

Gone is a fun book. Is it a profound or deep novel? Not particularly, but it is, as I stated, a fun book. It's one of those novels that are more of a pure adrenaline rush to read - that burst of energy, excitement and danger all at the same time. A novel with monsters, kids and action packed sequenced. Oh, and don't forget the superhuman powers.

It's like Heroes or X-Men meets Lord of the Flies, with a touch of many other sci-fi/fantasy stories in between. The premise begins with everyon
Welcome to the FAYZ, short for Fallout Alley Youth Zone. There’s no one who’s over the age of fourteen; they’ve all “poofed,” they’re just gone. But the strangeness only starts there. There’s a circular wall, or maybe dome, surrounding the land within a ten-mile radius from the nuclear plant. The wall is impenetrable and burns you if you touch it. There are strange mutations in the animals, such as seagulls with talons, winged snakes, and talking coyotes. Some kids have also developed strange po ...more
Jul 27, 2010 Annalisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Tatiana
The big question in my head most of this book, was "who is the target audience?" Nobody in the book is over 15 (despite the 18-year-olds on the awful cover), so you'd think 13 or 14 year-olds, but at close to 600 pages, I can't see most of them reading this. And if you get too old, stories about abandoned children--babies--dying of neglect might bother you, or maybe even stories where you'd have disappeared because you've hit your 15th birthday. But despite all that, it's a great premise with a ...more
Anne Osterlund
Sam is our hero. Everyone knows this . . . except Sam. When the world changes and all the adults (age 15 and over) go poof! in the middle of the day, everyone, even Astrid the (very pretty) Genius expects Sam to save them. From the darkness. From the barrier that appears out of nowhere and surrounds them all. From the kids who think disaster is an excuse to threaten and terrify. But Sam isn't ready. How can he save anyone else when he's as scared as they are, when he's about to turn 15 and go po ...more
So I edited this book, and it kicks serious butt. "If Stephen King wrote Lord of the Flies," says VOYA in its starred review, and they've pegged it well. Plus a dash of Lost and, urm, Heroes. So freaking good that I get all hyperbolic about it.
Last Post Wins! 199 85 Nov 28, 2015 03:07AM
who is the most "round character and who is the most "flat" character? 2 9 Nov 10, 2015 10:27PM
Young Adult bookc...: Verlaten - Gone #1 16 15 Oct 24, 2015 12:59PM
Who is your favorite character and why? 50 86 Oct 23, 2015 06:11PM
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • Lockdown (Escape From Furnace, #1)
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
  • Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Starters (Starters, #1)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • The Chaos (Numbers, #2)
  • The Sky Inside (The Sky Inside, #1)
  • The Line (The Line, #1)
  • Abandon (Possession, #3)
  • The Unidentified
Okay, trying this again. Goodreads lost the bio I just spent 30 minutes writing. So now it's just going to be incoherent rambling. Yes, the earlier draft was also incoherent rambling, but way better.

I'm the co-author or author of about 160 books, including the ANIMORPHS series, the GONE series, the BZRK series, the MAGNIFICENT 12 series (Mommy, make him stop saying series!), the MESSENGER OF FEAR
More about Michael Grant...

Gone (7 books)
  • Shade Darby (Gone, #7)

57 trivia questions
21 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Welcome to Perdido beach, where our motto is: Radiation, what radiation?” 591 likes
“We didn't Make this World we're just the Poor Fools who are living in it.” 410 likes