Start by marking “Dark Thirst” as Want to Read:
Dark Thirst

Dark Thirst

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A haunting anthology of vampire fiction - one that brings a colorful new dimension to one of the world's most erotic and enduring myths.
Omar Tyree writing as The Urban Griot -
The Old South falls prey to a handsome young vampire with a real taste for the ladies. Love at first bite never hurt so good.
Angela C. Allen - The mafia is no match for the wicked charms of a beaut
Published October 5th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Thirst

Shannon
OH MY GOD. Okay, so despite the horribly tacky cover I check this out of the library because I like short stories and I like vampires. So i figure, awesome. Right? NO. It's fucking horrible. The first story in the book is SO bad. Let me recap the story for you: There are two fat chicks. One of them lives across the street from a skinny hot chick who, they slowly begin to realize, is a vampire. Also, she's taking men and women into her house every night and seducing them and eating them or someth ...more
PurplyCookie
This uneven anthology of sensual vampire stories by and about African-Americans breaks little new literary ground, but it provides a dose of pure escapist fun. Psychically commanding vampires, both men and women, both willing and unwilling killers, seduce unwitting humans and lead them to the slaughter. There were some stories that I enjoyed more than others, which is to be expected. Out of six stories I felt as if only two were not stand-outs.

The majority of the stories share themes of beauty,
Sarah G.
The only story I really liked was Vamp Noir. The premise is that there is a female vampire who works as an enforcer for the mob. There is even a bit of romance sprinkled into it as well. Overall I liked it and could have read an entire book of just this story.

The others I just couldn't get through. I'm going to be real and say I was a little disappointed with the rest of the book. I'm a big vampire lore fan...and I was super excited to read about black vampires...since it's pretty rare. Sadly,
Madelon
Anyone who has spent any time discussing books with me knows my penchant for vampires... Needless to to say, my vampire collection would not be complete without a copy of Dark Thirst.

I really enjoyed reading "Whispers During Still Moments" by Linda Addison. She has a truly beautiful command of language, and tells the tale well. I found myself reading this one in her voice (one of the perks of knowing the author!) I like the new twist on this classic demon.

I'm looking forward to finding more Addi
Debbie Chittenden
"Whispers During Still Moments" by Linda Addison: an interesting take of your classic original vampire and super hunter who had been partially infected. Not a bad story, lacked a bit of the romanticism typically seen.
"The Touch", by Donna Hill was a cool vampire story about a young girl seduced by an ancient vampire that wanted a Queen. Unfortunately, she was destined for "true" love. In the end, the guy gets the girl; and the "girl' gets the guy.

Kevin S. Brockenbrough wrote a chilling take is w
Most of these stories were pretty bad.
Tiara
Finally, a vampire anthology that I can really sink my teeth into. No pun intended. This is a collection of vampire stories written about vampires of color by black authors. Lately, I've found myself mostly disappointed in vampire anthologies, but this one was well worth my time (and money). Even the foreword was fascinating, chronicling the black vampire through history.

The Ultimate Diet by Monica Jackson (5/5)
An overweight computer programmer who longs to be thin thinks she's finally found th
Parallax
Dark Thirst is a mixed bag of short stories that put an African-American spin on vampires. The most notable stories for me were:

Monica Jackson's The Ultimate Diet, for linking vampirism with crash diets, the desire for a magic bullet to be skinny in order to be beautiful in order to live a glamorous life. Of course, there's a price. The tone was funny, fast-paced, and full of fun pop culture references.

Angela C. Allen's Vamp Noir was a good version of the supernatural/dark urban fantasy/paranor
Mocha Girl
Dark Thirst is a distinctive collection of six short stories that focuses on vampires and their victims of color in varying eras and circumstances. However, the central theme uniting the stories is the ugly consequences of their existence - a hunger for blood that is never sated, the clandestine lifestyle necessary for survival, and the bouts of loneliness that eternal life brings as they lurk incessantly throughout the night. The stories are authored by some of today's popular writers and a few ...more
Carol
"Nice collection of vampire stories all written by African American authors. Each story has a unique twist to the vampire legend and I enjoyed them each in turn although some were stronger than others. My favorites were The Ultimate Diet which was actually rather funny with a nice twist at the end, Vamp Noir which has a banished vampire working for the mob and Whispers During Still Moments which is just beautifully written and seemed much more than a short story."
Lauren
A mix of styles and voices. As others have noted a mixed bag, but I think I have found a few authors that I will take the time to read their longer works. Part of my desire to read this anthology was to pick up a few more authors of color to read and because I like urban fantasy and vampires. Overall a solid showcase of talent.

Read them all (or skip around) but don't judge the whole anthology by one story.
Louise Payne
Dark Thirst was the first urban horror I've read. Omar Tyree is one of my favorite authors which is why i bought the book in the first place, and I was glad I did. The authors takes the reader to some very dark places, they keep it urban all the way which in my opinion was fantastic. The characters were very creative and the different story-lines made this book a quick page-turning read. If you like urban fiction and horror this is a MUST READ!!
Cameron
Dark Thirst is a collection of short stories written by African American authors about vampires. I was really excited about reading this book because quite frankly I love vampire novels unfortunately I was disappointed. It was okay, not spectacular. If they put out another book as a series, I wouldn't waste my time or money. Since this book didn't cost me anything, I'm not out anything except time.
Janet Whalen-Jones
spotty collection of short stories about vampires by Black writers...some excellent, some boring
Samantha
Average, more 'miss' than 'hit'. 2.5 stars.
Pretty
Pretty marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Vcurtis
Vcurtis marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Tyrone Davis
Tyrone Davis marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Danielle Burton
Danielle Burton marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Superior Jackson
Superior Jackson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
DeLisa Lovett
DeLisa Lovett marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Andrea A. Thaxton
Andrea A. Thaxton marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Tiki Poet
Tiki Poet marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
chavaye glover
chavaye glover marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Suad
Suad marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
k
k marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers
  • The Night Wanderer: A Native Gothic Novel
  • Creepin'
  • Ghost, Interrupted
  • The Bride of Casa Dracula (Casa Dracula, #3)
  • Invisible Touch
  • In My Bedroom
  • The Between
  • The King's Gold: An Old World Novel of Adventure
  • Wicked City (Zephyr Hollis, #2)
  • Voodoo Season
  • Devil's Wake
  • A Cherished Christmas (Drone Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • The Twilight of Lake Woebegotten
  • Hell Kat
  • The Barbarians are Coming
  • Sultana's Dream: And Selections from The Secluded Ones
Omar Tyree, a New York Times best-selling author, a 2001 NAACP Image Award recipient for Outstanding Literature in Fiction, and a 2006 Phillis Wheatley Literary Award winner for Body of Work in Urban Fiction, has published 16 books and has sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide that has generated more than $30 million.
With a degree in Print Journalism from Howard University in 1991, Tyree has bee
More about Omar Tyree...
Flyy Girl For the Love of Money A Do Right Man Leslie Just Say No!