Start by marking “Loom Knitting Primer: A Beginner's Guide to Knitting on a Loom, with Over 30 Fun Projects” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Knitting looms are flying off the shelves in craft stores because loom-knitting is such an easy craft to take up—it can be learned by both children and adults alike in just a few hours. If you have fond memories of spool knitting (a round wooden spool with a central hole surrounded by four small nails) when you were a child then you know how easy it was to create yards and ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Loom Knitting Primer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loom Knitting Primer

I do NOT like loom knitting. I can knit faster with needles. I can create more complicated stitch patterns with needles. AND on the rare occasions that I do make a mistake, I can ALWAYS fix the mistake IF I am using two needles. NONE of this is true when I use a loom. I have a special dislike for those looms which are used for knitting socks. They are tedious. It takes hours just to create 2 inches of sock leg. When I knit with needles I can knit the entire leg in the same amount of time.

Laurie Carlson
This is a really neat book full of patterns to learn how to make different projects on knitting looms. It incorporates a variety of different looms, which I find I must invest in! I don't have all the looms needed in order to make all the different projects in this book. The looms I currently own are all square looms, and the looms in this project book are circular looms, which in my opinion, leaves the opportunity to make much broader variety of items to make.
I enjoy this book very much and loo
"I've been loom knitting using various instructions on the internet for about a year and decided to read an actual book about it to fill in my skills. This primer reads easily and has some pretty good illustrations. There are also some nice reference charts about yard and loom specs. I only got to do two of the patterns in the book before I had to return it to the library, but they were successful. I think there some unclear points in her instructions, and one stitch simply didn't seem to work t ...more
Becky H.
Lots of patterns but I felt like I needed to already know how to knit (and I don't know how). I was able to figure out some of the stitches. I will try again later.

The library has started a knitting while listening to an audio book group. One of the ladies is going to teach me how to read the patterns. So, I'm going to give this one another try. I really like the looks of several of the projects.

I got this book for Christmas and I have now made 2 hats with different stitches. It is so fun to lea
Kath Ann
I have enjoyed perusing this book as I started a knitting group at our library called "Sticks and Tomes" (we listen to an audiobook and knit at the same time- all ages). While I'm not a great knitter, I found loom knitting fit my time and efforts quite well. The pictures and directions are clear and concise. I made several hats over Christmas and this book was very helpful. I know I can always 'borrow' it from my library, but I think this is one I'll add to my personal collection.
I'd been wanting to read this for a while, as there was a bag in it that I wanted to knit...however, this book was chock full of information, and for me, so close to the holidays was a bad thing. I was completely overwhelmed. So, I am going to try to give it a shot again in March or so. Definitely a must-read for anyone who wants to get started knitting with a loom! It goes over EVERY thing you need to know!
Oct 12, 2010 Libby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
I definitely need to own this book. From start to finish this book has perfect step by step instructions and wonderful pictures. I really, really, really want to own this book!!!!
If you plan to buy someone a set of Knifty Knitter looms, please buy this book, too. It is so much more helpful than the leaflets that are normally sold alongside the looms.
Buy this before you buy any other look knitting book. It covers all the basic cast-on and bind off techniques and gives great project ideas to learn several stitches.
My Rating System:
Sara Repasy
Excellent book with clear graphics and fun projects for loom knitting. Loom knitting g is great because the gauge is constant.
I like this book enough that I'm going to buy it for my very own self.
Liane Manso
Great intro to loom knitting. Can't wait to start more of the projects.
Annlouise Harris
This is a great encyclopedia of loom knitting stitches and projects.
great ref tool. very easy to understand.
Jill Spano
Meh served it's purpose
very informative
Andrea Lake
Andrea Lake marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Shereen Shantz
Shereen Shantz marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
HuynhLe marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • Making Bead & Wire Jewelry: Simple Techniques, Stunning Designs
  • Yarn: Remembering the Way Home
  • Tiny Yarn Animals: Amigurumi Friends to Make and Enjoy
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (Teach Yourself Visually)
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Harmony Guides: Lace & Eyelets (The Harmony Guides)
  • Austentatious Crochet: 36 Contemporary Designs from the World of Jane Austen
  • Knit Socks!
  • Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-media Techniques for Successful Transfers
  • The Essential Mormon Cookbook: Green Jell-O, Funeral Potatoes, and Other Secret Combinations
  • Folk Shawls
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Cutie Pies: 40 Sweet, Savory, and Adorable Recipes
  • Groundbreaking Food Gardens: 73 Plans That Will Change the Way You Grow Your Garden
  • Making an Impression: Designing & Creating Artful Stamps