Loom Knitting Primer: A Beginner's Guide to Knitting on a Loom, with over 30 Fun Projects

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Knitting looms are flying off the shelves in craft stores because loom-knitting is such an easy craft to take up—it can be learned by both children and adults alike in just a few hours. If you have fond memories of spool knitting (a round wooden spool with a central hole surrounded by four small nails) when you were a child then you know how easy it was to create yards and...more
Published March 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

Marilyn
I do NOT like loom knitting. I can knit faster with needles. I can create more complicated stitch patterns with needles. AND on the rare occasions that I do make a mistake, I can ALWAYS fix the mistake IF I am using two needles. NONE of this is true when I use a loom. I have a special dislike for those looms which are used for knitting socks. They are tedious. It takes hours just to create 2 inches of sock leg. When I knit with needles I can knit the entire leg in the same amount of time.

Having...more
Laurie Carlson
This is a really neat book full of patterns to learn how to make different projects on knitting looms. It incorporates a variety of different looms, which I find I must invest in! I don't have all the looms needed in order to make all the different projects in this book. The looms I currently own are all square looms, and the looms in this project book are circular looms, which in my opinion, leaves the opportunity to make much broader variety of items to make.
I enjoy this book very much and loo...more
Heidi
"I've been loom knitting using various instructions on the internet for about a year and decided to read an actual book about it to fill in my skills. This primer reads easily and has some pretty good illustrations. There are also some nice reference charts about yard and loom specs. I only got to do two of the patterns in the book before I had to return it to the library, but they were successful. I think there some unclear points in her instructions, and one stitch simply didn't seem to work t...more
Becky H.
Lots of patterns but I felt like I needed to already know how to knit (and I don't know how). I was able to figure out some of the stitches. I will try again later.

The library has started a knitting while listening to an audio book group. One of the ladies is going to teach me how to read the patterns. So, I'm going to give this one another try. I really like the looks of several of the projects.

I got this book for Christmas and I have now made 2 hats with different stitches. It is so fun to lea...more
Kath Ann
I have enjoyed perusing this book as I started a knitting group at our library called "Sticks and Tomes" (we listen to an audiobook and knit at the same time- all ages). While I'm not a great knitter, I found loom knitting fit my time and efforts quite well. The pictures and directions are clear and concise. I made several hats over Christmas and this book was very helpful. I know I can always 'borrow' it from my library, but I think this is one I'll add to my personal collection.
Jen
I'd been wanting to read this for a while, as there was a bag in it that I wanted to knit...however, this book was chock full of information, and for me, so close to the holidays was a bad thing. I was completely overwhelmed. So, I am going to try to give it a shot again in March or so. Definitely a must-read for anyone who wants to get started knitting with a loom! It goes over EVERY thing you need to know!
Libby
Oct 12, 2010 Libby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
I definitely need to own this book. From start to finish this book has perfect step by step instructions and wonderful pictures. I really, really, really want to own this book!!!!
Dani
If you plan to buy someone a set of Knifty Knitter looms, please buy this book, too. It is so much more helpful than the leaflets that are normally sold alongside the looms.
Jenn
Buy this before you buy any other look knitting book. It covers all the basic cast-on and bind off techniques and gives great project ideas to learn several stitches.
Sara Repasy
Excellent book with clear graphics and fun projects for loom knitting. Loom knitting g is great because the gauge is constant.
Janet
I like this book enough that I'm going to buy it for my very own self.
Liane Manso
Great intro to loom knitting. Can't wait to start more of the projects.
Annlouise Harris
This is a great encyclopedia of loom knitting stitches and projects.
Janet
great ref tool. very easy to understand.
Jec
very informative
Cindi
Cindi added it
Jul 02, 2014
Abby
Abby added it
Jun 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Sonya Stone
Sonya Stone marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Loom Knitting Socks: A Beginner's Guide to Knitting Socks on a Loom with Over 50 Fun Projects (No-Needle Knits) Loom Knitting Pattern Book: 50 Easy Projects That Can Be Knitted in a Weekend Loom Knitting Scarves, Hats, Bags & More: 40 Simple and Snuggly No-Needle Designs for All Loom Knitters A Beginner's Guide to Knitting on a Loom. Isela Phelps Loom Knitting Afghans, Blankets & Cushions: More Than 20 No-Needle Designs