Start by marking “The Booster” as Want to Read:
The Booster

The Booster

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  35 reviews

Jillian Siegel is living the quintessential Manhattan life: great clothes, fabulous boyfriend, a job at the hottest ad agency in town. But what nobody knows is that this twenty-nine year-old hides a dark secret - one that involves stuffing her oversize Gucci handbag with high-priced designer clothes and leaving the store without paying. There was once a time when Jillian d
Published March 28th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published March 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Booster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Booster

Vicki Mollenauer
If you get into the whole psychological reason that the main character and othres are into shoplifting, it's a pretty good plot. If you read it only as a chic flick type of narrative, it doesn't work as well. I enjoyed it!
Erin
The Booster tells the story of New Yorker Jillian Siegel. She is wealthy, has a great boyfriend and a good job in advertising... but she's also a shoplifter and emotionally fragile. A series of traumatic events in Jillian's life causes her to become a full time shoplifter with Shelly, a young woman she meets in jail. Soon, Jill and Shelly are working for an organized shoplifting syndicate and being trained for a big job.

You couldn't entirely call this chick lit- and thank goodness for that- beca
Kristin Dow
Writer has command of language, but I struggled to get through this book. With the heroine being a privileged shoplifter, it was tough for me to identify or root for her. The best friend was also an annoying dingbat. Ending felt rushed and too tidy; character didn't deserve easy fixes to her problems.
Katherine
It took me a while to get into this book. Author Jennifer Solow gave too much weight to the shallowness of the heroine and why her life was so miserable. Too much whining for too long.

However, about halfway through the book with the arrival of underground characters, the heroine redeemed herself in my eyes. It is only then that I could see a change in her that I find admirable. The madcap road to redemption provided an exciting twist that had me rooting for her in the end.

It's a fun read if you
Brenda
There was a point about halfway through this book when I thought "Why am I reading this and why don't I just quit?" About the only reason I can think of is because I rarely quit a book. I just keep chugging along so I can say I completed it.

Surprisingly, the book did get better about 2/3 of the way through and then it read faster. However, wich so much else out there to read, put this one on the bottom of the bottom of the bottom of your To Read List. Sorry...
Jill
Full disclosure: this book was written by a former colleague. According to the author, my husband's eyebrows served to inspire the eyebrows of one of the characters. If you read the book, you realize this is not a compliment.

However, fun, quick read. Mark my words, it will be a movie. Think Carrie Bradshaw as a clepto, with only one girlfriend. Great characters -- especially the ones I recognized.

Take this book with you on the plane.
This book was like a bad movie that you go to see. You keep wanting to leave because the movie is so bad and you know what will happen at the end, but you stay anyway because you've already sat through so much of it.

This book is easy to sum up: girl who is a mess loses her boyfriend and her job, meets up with a bad crowd, but sees the error of her ways and with a "twist," gets both boyfriend and career back in the last few pages of the book.

Angela
I read this book as additional research in rewriting my young adult novel, The Take and Go, which was an entry in the 2007 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.

The concept of petty shoplifting is taken to the level of organized crime. The ending wasn't believable as fiction, but believable as non-fiction, since it's harder to convince a reader that luck is instrumental in a fictional world.

Pirate
I usually sleep on the ferry, but sometimes these ladies take up all the good napping seats with their large handbags and I have to stay awake and read. "The Booster" is a fun, light read. It would be good for a plane ride or a beach day or reading in the morning when you're too tired to read anything meaningful. It's colorful, predictable, but not entirely fluff.
Harvey
- from the jacket: "Jillian Siegel is a fashionable, young Manhattanite with a secret kleptomaniac habit. After being fired from her lucrative advertising job she gets caught for the first time and then, through a contact she made in a police holding cell, she gets drawn into a Mafia-like shoplifting ring."
Amber
Jillian Siegil has a great life. SHe has a super hot boyfriend, excellent job, great apartment and a little secret...she likes to steal.

After getting caught by a LP (loss prevention) her life and world take a turn upside down.

Great story, the ending was the best.
Sarah Null
This book was a lot of fun! If you like Candace Bushnell, you'll like this book. I actually liked it better than Candace's books. But it's sort of Trading Up meets Breakfast at Tiffany's. There was also a nice little twist at the end that I really enjoyed.
Shelly Sievert
This was a good book but it wasn't great. I really don't remember much about it. I liked the way that this book showed the love between the uncle and the lead character. I hated that Solow brought in the entire "big time" shoplifting ring.
No-john-rays
My daughter got arrested for shoplifting and someone suggested that I read this book to see what was going on in her head. There is more to this book than "chick-lit", it's actually pretty sophisticated from a psychological standpoint.
I would give this 3.5 stars. Unusual chick-lit-esque book about a woman who shoplifts. I almost stopped a few chapters in because it was just so peculiar, but my sister told me to stick with it and I ended up really getting into it.
Kathryn
It took me a while to 'get into' this book, but once it grabbed on to me, I read straight through to the end. I even managed to get a couple of actor's monologues from it.
Lori Anaple
I thought this was going to be a light chick lit type of book. I was wrong. It took on a weighty subject...why people shoplift...and tried to shed some light on it.
Libby
sort of a dark modern fairy tale, complete with a princess, evil monsters, secret hiding places, and fantastic landscapes. A really fun book to read before bed.
Leeza
The story was all over the place, and hard to hold my interest. If a book doesn't grab you by the first few pages, it's a good sign the rest of it won't, either.
Virginia
It has been a long time since a book's ending has surprised me. Throughout I was torn whether to like the heroine or be disgusted but it truly delivered
Lisa
This is a weird but interesting book. I'd recommend it but note that it takes a little bit of time to get into. The plot is a little wacky, which I love.
Alicia K
Ehhhhh. Girl shoplifts to fill her big empty space inside. Not enough love as a child or something. Gets mixed up in a big crime ring. Ehhhhh.
Kara
This was an all right book. I have definitely read better...It has a very unique story line, that's for sure...
Tara
Mar 08, 2012 Tara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
3/8/12 ~ Got back to the 2nd hand store by mom today & this is one of the books I got for $0.50.
britany
everytime i opened this book, i asked myself why i was still reading it.
Rebecca
One of my Favs! Get's your heart rate up just by turning the pages...
Lenore
This was a really amazing book. Loved it from start to finish.
Stephanie
What a great book! I am so glad to have found this one!
Annette Dashofy
Did not like the protagonist and couldn't finish the book.
Nicky
Almost interesting but also incredibly odd.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Change yours now listen closely 1 1 Apr 20, 2015 12:24AM
  • The J.A.P. Chronicles
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France
  • Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times- Reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show
  • Everyone Else's Girl
  • Tough Choices: A Memoir
  • Love: A User's Guide: A Novel of Romance with Attitude
  • The Art of Social War: A Novel
  • Playing with Boys
Jennifer Solow is the author of THE ARISTOBRATS (Sourcebooks, Jabberwocky, September 1, 2010) – about four best friends who’ve finally made it the very top of the populadder at Wallingford Academy only to be handed an assignment that threatens to ruin everything (even their friendship).

Like her characters, Jennifer once attended an exclusive private school where her spot on the populadder waiver
More about Jennifer Solow...
The Aristobrats Stay Pretty Wallingford: The Aristobrats