Start by marking “In Fact: Essays on Writers and Writing” as Want to Read:
In Fact: Essays on Writers and Writing

In Fact: Essays on Writers and Writing

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In Fact collects the best of Thomas Mallon's superb criticism from the past twenty-two years -- essays that appeared in his GQ column, "Doubting Thomas", and in The New York Times Book Review, The American Scholar, The New Yorker, and Harper's, among other publications. Here are his evaluations of the work of contemporary writers such as Nicholson Baker, Peter Carey, Tom W ...more
Published January 2nd 2001 by Pantheon

To ask other readers questions about In Fact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Fact

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyMatilda by Roald DahlThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Books about Books
257th out of 784 books — 1,255 voters
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield84 Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Books on Books: metacovers
101st out of 207 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

David
This book was a delight. I had read two of Mallon's books - "Stolen Words" (on plagiarism) and "A Book of One's Own" (people and their diaries) - quite some time ago, and found them both charming and fascinating. So maybe the charm of these essays shouldn't have been a surprise. But I was bowled over, both by the breadth and depth of Mallon's coverage. Not to engage in hagiography, but he comes close to my notion of a perfect reviewer. In many instances his evaluations are a more eloquent expres ...more
Jonathan
Sep 20, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I remember one (paraphrased) line from this collection: something in an essay about obituaries. ". . . and the first paragraph always ends with the same verb."

If you consider this careful whipping together of style and substance with a hint of allegory to be a genus of wit, you are or were in all likelihood an English major, and you may enjoy these columns.
LDuchess
Mar 09, 2014 LDuchess added it
Recommended to LDuchess by: (gift?)
On a shelf for some years. First half is about other writers/their work. Second half, which I just discovered, is about Mallon's own....and so more interesting (to me), though I don't recognize his name.

I should find his historical novel, "Henry and Clara" (couple who were at Ford's Theatre w/ Lincolns).

Giving this away.....too many books!
Kristine
Feb 21, 2012 Kristine rated it it was amazing
I had never thought of "essays" as something people read for fun and entertainment - but TM explained it all to me. This book opened up the world of literary nonfiction for me, and made me laugh more than I have with any book, before or since. He is deliciously snarky and erudite as Aristotle, and is truly an artist of prose.
David
Sep 22, 2010 David rated it really liked it
As much as I like his fiction I think I like Mallon's non-fiction ("Stolen Words," "A Book of One's Own") even more.

A test of a good critic is if you find him interesting even if you disagree with him. That wasn't an issue with this book as Mallon's literary opinions often jibed with mine.
Lauren Albert
Sep 23, 2012 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it
Interesting and diverse set of essays and reviews on both contemporary and older fiction and nonfiction.
Erika Dreifus
Jun 20, 2010 Erika Dreifus rated it it was amazing
Superb book. I've used several of the essays in the "Historical Fictions" section when teaching.
Mark
Feb 14, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I have only read a few chapters, but I like Mallons criticism.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Thomas J. Molinaro
Thomas J. Molinaro marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Linda Coontz
Linda Coontz marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Rashawn Bump
Rashawn Bump marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
TK421
TK421 marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Hope dreaming
Hope dreaming marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Kristin LiBretto
Kristin LiBretto marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Dave Creelman
Dave Creelman rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Christopher (Donut
Christopher (Donut rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Jonathan Korns
Jonathan Korns marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2096
Thomas Mallon is a novelist, critic and director of the creative writing program at The George Washington University.

He attended Brown University as an undergraduate and earned a Master of Arts and a Ph.D. from Harvard. He received the Ingram Merrill Foundation Award in 1994 and won a Rockefeller Fellowship in 1987. Mallon taught English at Vassar College from 1979-1991.

Mallon is the author of the
More about Thomas Mallon...