The Spirit of Christmas

The Spirit of Christmas

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  35 reviews

Once again, this New York Times-bestselling author and artist has created a special, beautiful book that families will want to...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of Christmas

Qwendy
Tillman’s gorgeous photoesque artwork gracefully supplements the text, which builds upon classic Christmas references. We embark upon our tale through a holiday napper, who “just nodded off, at a quarter past four, when the Spirit of Christmas stepped through my door.” Santa is alluded to, and arrives to “deck the halls, in tinsel and twinkles, and bright, shining balls”. The rhyming text continues with the addition of “jingle bells”, a “one-horse sleigh”, a “toy soldier band”, candy canes and m...more
Kathryn
From Nancy Tillman whose book "On The Night You Were Born" I found refreshing and sweet. This title, however, seems to be trying just a bit too hard. I do appreciate the elements of the Christmas season included here--everything from the decorations to the fun and family to a subtle mention of the Christ child--but there isn't much of a "story" as it's like the author is talking to the Spirit of Christmas wondering what is missing from Christmas... What was missing, it turns out, is "YOU" (the s...more
Angie
Synopsis: "Bells jingle, sleds dash through the snow, trees are topped with sparkling stars, and children everywhere dream of candy canes and presents. But the best gift of all—the most magical gift of the season—is when we spend Christmas with those we love."

My Review: I am a big fan of Nancy Tillman and love sharing her books with my little Munchkin. This one wasn't quite up to the level of Wherever you are My love will find you. The rhyming wasn't quiet as smooth, but I still enjoyed the mess...more
Anna
If you live near a Kohl's store, or can shop at one online . . I highly recommend purchasing their hardcover books for any and all children you care about.

Even if you don't have those special kids in your life, consider purchasing these books for a school library or elementary teacher in your area for the classroom--or donate them to a children's charity.

The books are sold for only $5 each and are very high quality. This season's books are all by Nancy Tillman and are just so beautiful.

This even...more
Amy
I have recently discovered this author and I LOVE her books. This book is so sweet. We have a tradition at Christmas time that we always give our best friends, whom all live away from us, a book (and buy one for our children to open Christmas Eve night as well). This is the book I chose this year. Several of our friends called to tell us how much they loved it and some even said it moved them to tears. My children LOVED the pictures and we spent several minutes on each page looking for the Spiri...more
Karen
The Spirit of Christmas was another Kohl's Cares find. I'll try not to gush, but I do love the Kohl's Cares program. This book came with an adorable plush lion, which represents the most striking illustration in this book. All of the artwork is truly beautiful, but the double pages containing the lion, lamb and dove and arresting in their simplicity and beauty.

The words for the book again came from a song, so they again read like a poem. The words are fine, and at time quite good; however this b...more
Ashley Schmidt
This book is absolutely, positively my FAVORITE of Ms. Tillman's. I absolutely LOVE the message it sends. It speaks directly to the heart of a parent who longs for a child; this longing made all the more bitter by the holiday season. I think children will love the illustrations, especially finding the face of the "Spirit of Christmas" in each page. I also like that it includes lyrics from Christmas Carols. What a special book to share with your child! I can't wait to share it with mine!
Patrick Dwyer
I began reading a Christmas eve story to my girls almost 30 years ago - typically Twas the Night Before Christmas (with the beautiful Doug Gorsline illustrations).
In all that time I was seldom tempted to introduce any other story to this routine, and now I have 2 year old granddaughter and this year came across Nancy Tilman's beautiful work. And it is a beautiful thing in both appearance and spirit! I recommend it to all, no matter faith or practice; and to all a good night!
Autumn Brady
A beautiful children's Christmas story about the feelings/experiences of Christmas. A keepsake that will make all people feel the quiet specialness intended for the holiday (no commercial feel). Even better the pages are wrapped in gorgeous illustrations.

For: Elementary grade children that celebrate Christmas or a classic keepsake for the Family.

Amanda
This is a beautiful Christmas story which emphasizes that Love is what makes Christmas the season that it is. It is beautifully illustrated (although the cut and paste quality of the 12 days of Christmas pages through me off some) and has a wonderful rhyming story. Will definitely get out again next year and the year after...
Shannon Jackson
Love, love, love this book! I feel like it's a modern day, "Twas the Night Before Christmas", but with such a sweet and beautiful message. The illustrations are captivating and enhance the story. Again, I love this book and it is a must read during the Christmas season!
Christina Davis
Around the fireplace kind of book. This book was written for Kohl's Cares charity, which supports child health and education. This book has no more than 3 sentences on a page, so it would be easy for a young child to read. I liked the last page which said, "You are loved".
Kymberly
The Spirit of Christmas is the spirit of God. She spoke a little of God, and showing of the trinity in pictures of dove (spirit), Lamb (Lamb of God), and Lion (Lion of Juda). I wish she spoke of more of this Christmas spirit, that is why I gave it a 4.
Jenny
I did not enjoy the illustrations in this book, nor did I find the poem that compelling. I did enjoy the Christmas songs in the illustrations, but this didn't wow me.
Kaylen Matherly
This book would be great to read to my class during the Christmas season. It's such a sweet book. It reminds readers that joy during Christmas time does not come from all the decor, gifts, and songs, but from the children who gather around the tree.
Kathryn
This the best children's Christmas book I have read in a long time. I am very fussy the story must be good AND the art work. This one is excellant in both cases. I would recommend this book in a heartbeat.
Heloyce
I always look for a special new book at Christmas and this was the one I found first. It had special meaning as I sent copies to my dear ones who are far away in miles, but not far away in my heart.
Nancy
There is only one part to this audiobook. There are two short stories, and the rest is full of Christmas Carols. I enjoyed the narrator, who was the narrator on the Harry Potter books.
Sally
I received this for Christmas from a dear friend who knows how much I love Christmas--and books. This one is special from the sweet message to the incredible illustrations.
Kimberly Cameron
This book is my all-time favourite Christmas book to read to the kids. It is a beautiful depiction of what is really important and meaningful at Christmas time.
Denise
This would be a great gift book. Early elementary students could appreciate this, I just envision this better one-on-one than in a group setting.
Kathy
This beautiful book was given to me on my birthday this year by a dear friend.
It will make a wonderful addition to my Christmas collection
Karen
if you are looking for a christmas picture book, get this. it is worth it. i like the illustrations. charm enough to satisfy.
Molly
Jan 03, 2013 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Molly by: Molly D
I love this book, especially toward the end: "May you always be safe and may you always come home." It gets me every time!
Shannon Kitchen
This is a beautifully illustrated children's Christmas book that emphasizes the Christian meaning behind Christmas.
Susan
Some really awesome pictures (the snow mouse!), but not quite what I wanted in the storyline.
Joanna
I read this as I was waiting in line at Kohls. It is a cute story with beautiful pictures.
Kimberly
My favorite part of this book were the illustrations. Beautiful!
Stephanie
The rhyme is cute, but some of the pictures are a little weird.
Teri
Beautiful. Great addition to the Christmas collection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Merry Christmas, Splat
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Santa Calls
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Elf on the Shelf (The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition, Volume 1)
  • Dream Snow
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
Nancy Tillman created her first book, "On the Night You Were Born," to convey to children at an early and impressionable age, "You are the one and only ever you." Since then, Nancy has written and illustrated several bestselling books. She also illustrated It's Time to Sleep, My Love, with Eric Metaxas. Together, Nancy's books have sold in the millions. A former advertising executive, Tillman now...more
More about Nancy Tillman...
On the Night You Were Born Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love Tumford the Terrible The Crown on Your Head