Start by marking “Remembrance Of The Past” as Want to Read:
Remembrance Of The Past

Remembrance Of The Past

In Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennet unexpectedly met Mr. Darcy while visiting Pemberley. In this 'what if' story, Elizabeth Bennet and her relatives - Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner - are in London, ready to start their tour to the Lakes in June. During this time, Elizabeth's path crosses with Mr. Darcy's again. However, Mr. Darcy is not alone in London: besides ...more
Published by Meryton Press (first published October 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Remembrance Of The Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembrance Of The Past

Sheila Majczan
Mar 24, 2015 Sheila Majczan rated it really liked it
This was a very long read, so - you got your money's worth. There are two parallel main romances going on which can confuse us and do confuse Elizabeth. Elizabeth turns into a blushing tongue-tied, head down onlooker, as she sees the interaction between Darcy and Lady Cassandra. But Darcy is also giving her the green light with his attentions...just what does he propose by that? There are several side romances also.

Many other reviewers have set down the story line so pardon me if I jump from one
Mary
Oct 14, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
430 pages of utter romance,peppered with trials,tribulations,angst (that is thankfully soon resolved),fantastic,witty dialogue, not forgetting our happy ever after for Darcy and Lizzy.......

Yes, such are the delights that await you,dear reader when you delve into this enchanting tale of second chances,shared walks,deep and meaningful stares........

Needless to say I loved this book!
How Ms Lilian thought of this plot is beyond me, the fact that she did and couched it in such beautiful language i
Tamra
Jun 04, 2011 Tamra rated it liked it
Enjoyable but not one of my favorite JAFF stories. While I enjoyed the new character Lady Cassandra, the storyline was too long, the drama was too much at times. Could have been a great book if it was a little less wordy and dramatic.
Rita Deodato
Feb 19, 2016 Rita Deodato rated it really liked it

Have you ever read the first paragraph of a book and knew in that instant you would love it?

Well, that is what I felt with Lory Lilian’s Remembrance of the Past.

In this book, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy encounter each other at a park in London a couple of months after the Hunsford Proposal and when their paths cross, you know what happens: they will live happily ever after. But what we are interested in is the journey that takes them there, right?

This journey
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What if Elizabeth encountered Darcy in London before she left on her tour with the Gardiners? What if Darcy invited Elizabeth and her family to Pemberley as his guests? What if there was another important woman in Darcy's life that many expected him to marry?

When Elizabeth re-encounters Mr. Darcy in the company of Mrs. Gardiner, Georgiana, and Colonel Fitzwilliam, she is sent into a spiral of confusion and turmoil. Seeing Darcy again, observing his easy and amiable manner, witnessing his intense
Nicole
Lory Lilian introduces what has to be my favourite female character that was not originally created by Jane Austen, Lady Cassandra, in Remembrance of the Past. (Favourite original male character is Sharon Lathan's Dr. Darcy). Lady Cassandra is the perfect match, in very different ways, to the three main characters: Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth, and Colonel Fitzwilliam. I cannot say more without spoiling some plot points, but that I absolutely loved this book!
Brittany
May 26, 2015 Brittany rated it liked it
Ms. Lilian is a very verbose writer, that's for sure. This variation takes a look at what would happen if Elizabeth and Darcy met again a few months after Darcy's disastrous first proposal, in London, prior to her trip to Derbyshire. What if Darcy appeared to have another young lady attached to him at this point....right at the point that Elizabeth feels her heart change for him?

What I liked: I liked Lady Cassandra for the most part. She was an interesting and somewhat complex compared to most o
Sophia
Sep 18, 2011 Sophia rated it really liked it
This book is a P&P 'what if' and takes the premise of what-if Darcy and Lizzy meet up sooner than later after his disastrous proposal at Hunsford. And what-if new a new main character is tossed into the mix with a few mysteries attached to her.
Though the book shifts points of views so you are not stuck with just one person's thoughts, it truly is Darcy's story. He makes a decision the day he sees Lizzy in the London park and what follows is based on that.
It is almost as if someone has hit th
Katrin
I have read and enjoyed all of Lori Lillians books so far and this is no exception.
A very interesting alternative to P&P!
One of my favourite characters is Lady Cassandra, what an interesting, beautiful original character.
I'm looking forward to reading more austenesque from Lori Lillian.
Katherine
Nov 02, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it
I loved the storyline of how Lizzy bumps into Darcy in London before her trip to the Lakes with her aunt and uncle. There is obviously a lot of akwardness there but to see Lizzy's feelings transform as you read of her perceived jealousy (Lady Cassandra and Darcy) is highly entertaining. I have to agree with other reviews that I've read - a classic Jane Austen novel written for that era should not be explicit in sex scenes and certainly not before marriage (and I'm not talking Darcy and Lizzy her ...more
Christiann
Jul 07, 2013 Christiann rated it liked it
I love these "what if" Jane Austen variations, but if this had been any other historical fiction, I wouldn't have bothered. The story was interesting, but it may not have been worth enduring the rambling dialog and lengthy scenes that did little to advance the plot. In this niche JAFF subgenre I'm ridiculously hooked on, this long winded novel is not a favorite.
Madenna U
Jun 11, 2016 Madenna U rated it liked it
Elizabeth and Darcy, the same but different as with any variation, but this one adds a new character in the mix. She acted as the voice of reason/conscience type mirror for everyone except herself. I enjoyed this one.
Frances Evêque
Mar 21, 2017 Frances Evêque rated it it was amazing
A P&P variation with a darker plot line than most - this was VERY well written and the characters extremely well developed. I would warn anyone purchasing this book that it is not for the faint-hearted, with themes of abuse, justice, morality, and death. However, that does not mean that I wouldn't highly recommend it. The thought processes of each character were fantastic - very relatable, conflicted, and yet at their conclusion entirely believable. I was thoroughly intrigued by the storylin ...more
Prerna
Feb 03, 2017 Prerna rated it liked it
Having read over a dozen JAFF's in the recent past, I can safely say this is one of the best I've read. Lord Lilian introduces us to Lady Cassandra who turns out to be a powerful and pivotal character. She is the catalyst and often carries out the will of the reader. There were times in the book when I became more invested in her story that ODC's but the author does justice to all the characters she decides to dedicate her time to in the book. I would've given the book 4 stars had it not been fo ...more
Beth
Mar 14, 2017 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

In this adaptation amazingly Wickham isn't the worst scoundrel in the Hertfordshire area. In the story Lizzie and Darcy go through the same events as in the original but other characters are introduced with the effect of changing things around. This story goes further into the times after the weddings and we get an idea of what life is like for the couple and their families.
Amy
Jan 28, 2017 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely Perfectly Full Story

Several story lines all different yet tied together. Happily Ever Afters delayed often and then proven to be something that is not magically given to any couple but a process that must be worked towards by both everyone involved, especially the couple who is in love.
Anna Fitzwilliam
Dec 28, 2016 Anna Fitzwilliam rated it liked it
I'm giving 3 stars, because I really enjoyed the first part of the book. I like this author and I like how passionate are her characters.

However, I don't enjoy much when the second characters have too much space and the book has so many sub-plots going on that I kinda lost my interest.
Beth
Apr 11, 2010 Beth rated it it was ok
A "What If" P&P retelling, with a coda and some extras thrown in. Two months after his first disaster of a proposal, Darcy, Col. Fitzwilliam and Georgiana bump in to Lizzie and Mrs. Gardiner in Hyde Park. This would be about a month before Elizabeth and the Gardiners go on their tour of the Peak District. It's a clever scenairo, and is very well done. I was so in love with this story and the writing and was already wondering how I could have found two excellent fan-based P&P books back t ...more
Warmisunqu Austen
Aug 04, 2012 Warmisunqu Austen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reseñas

-------------------| Blog | Facebook | Twitter |-------------------

4.5 Austen.

Personajes nuevos con mucho protagonismo

Una variación que lo tiene todo: mucho romanticismo sobre todo, picardía, humor, sarcarmo y una buena dosis de aventura. Es una de estas historias que puedes leerla de tiempo en tiempo y siempre te vuelve a atrapar. No puedo determinar qué variación es más romántica, si la de KaraLynne Mackrory o la de esta autora, ambas son muy acertadas en la fluidez de la narrativa.
Desde el p
Dec 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent! I have always been crazy about the story of Darcy and Elizabeth but only recently started reading Pride and Prejudice fan fiction. So while I am by no means a Pride and Prejudice fan fiction expert, of the 5 or so that I have read, this is so far my favorite! I literally could not put it down! The author magnificently captured the love between Elizabeth and Darcy while also digging deeper into the relationships of many of the other beloved Pride and Prejudice characters. ...more
Sverre
Apr 22, 2013 Sverre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-romance
Here is a hefty read--450 large pages in small print--which story could have been covered in half the space. Lory Lilian starts her book two months after Elizabeth Bennet's marriage refusal to Mr. Darcy's proposal at Hunsford. Without deviating too much from the outcome of Austen's original plot, Lilian zigs and zags and embroiders the interval up to and beyond the second proposal with some verbal adroitness fairly true to the time period (except for the thrice used antigramamatical "off of"). S ...more
Susanne
Jul 22, 2015 Susanne rated it really liked it
This was one of the best Austen variations I've read; I could barely put it down, and it's a loooooong book (Happy sigh--I love long books!). There is an OC (original character) in this novel, Lady Cassandra, a childhood friend of Darcy and his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam, who has led a difficult life and now returns to society.

This novel picks up several months after Darcy's failed proposal at Hunsford when Darcy, Georgiana, Colonel Fitzwilliam, and Lady Cassandra spot Elizabeth with her Aunt G
Eliza Baum
This was a nice, well-written story, and I enjoyed it a great deal. It was longer than I expected, to the point that it almost felt like multiple stories that were welded together--though not in a discordant way. It almost felt like a book and its immediate sequel that simply hadn't been separated. Just as I thought the story was wrapping up, I'd look down and see that I was only at 40%...or 50%...or 60%. There were so many major conflicts that I kept expecting to be annoyed. I kept expecting th ...more
Jeanah
Apr 07, 2010 Jeanah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pride-prejudice
FANTASTIC!!! Definitely a great read. I have read over 25 different P&P "what if" and "continued" stories and this one I enjoyed far more than ANY of the others. I love Lilian's storytelling. I truly enjoyed "Rainy Days", but "Remembrance of the Past" is far better. It had all that I wanted and was missing in one way or another in the other stories I have previously read. I hate how most "what if" stories end at the wedding. Instead, in this novel, Lilian gives us both a "what if" and contin ...more
Deb
After the author's Rainy Days Pride and Prejudice variation, I saw she had another so I downloaded it on Kindle and finished it this weekend. In this book, Elizabeth, runs into Darcy in Hyde Park, delayed on her Lakes tour with her aunt and uncle by a couple of weeks. Darcy makes a much better impression this time around and Elizabeth finds herself growing closer to him and Georgina. There are various side plots involving Colonel Fitzwilliam, and a couple of new characters. At first I didn't lik ...more
Nicol Legakis
Aug 20, 2011 Nicol Legakis rated it liked it
More "steamy" than is appropriate for an Austen novel, but I really enjoyed a character that was introduced in this adaptation. Her name is Lady Cassandra and she is quite unconventional. I have to say that I enjoyed the first half of the book better than the second half. This was an enjoyable "what if" version of P&P in which Miss Elizabeth encounters Mr. Darcy in New Hyde park while in the company of her Aunt Gardiner, before they are scheduled to take a tour of the Lakes district.

I enjoy
Susan
Jul 02, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
In this Pride and Prejudice variation Elizabeth Bennet is visiting the Gardiners prior to their journey to the Lakes. On a walk in Hyde with Mrs Gardiner they met Darcy and his sister Georgiana, and Colonel Fitzwilliam.
Then Georgiana invites them to their home, and the story continues as they all visit Pemberley.
Lovely story and a new delightful character in Lady Cassandra.
Barbara
Jul 24, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
I have read dozens of P&P variations and this one was better than many, but not one of the best. the first half was fairly consistent with Austen 's style, but the second half was more a romance novel with sex scenes that are out of place for Austen and for this time period. still, a fun read.
Mareli
Feb 09, 2013 Mareli rated it it was amazing
I read this story as a fanfiction some time ago and I didn't know it was published.

My congratulations to the author, this story is one of the best I ever read about Darcy and Elizabeth.

If you ever want to read an alternative story for Pride and Prejudice, this one is amazing!
  • Fate and Consequences: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Journey
  • By Force of Instinct
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Affinity and Affection
  • A Most Civil Proposal
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy