Shades of Gray

Shades of Gray

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  3,145 ratings  ·  318 reviews
Miller Sutton, a by-the-book FBI agent, is starting to see some troubling shades of gray in his black-and-white world. He comes face-to-face with his doubts in the person of Danny Butler, a mid-level drug runner Miller hopes to use to catch a much larger fish: Roberto Hinestroza, a drug lord Miller has pursued for years. Danny has no interest in being a witness against his...more
Published October 19th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published October 1st 2009)

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
12th out of 1,958 books — 1,917 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
7th out of 515 books — 763 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I can't believe I'm DNFing this one at 60%. This has been on my to-read list forever! I just didn't connect with the characters.

This book has a 4.41 rating with my Goodreads friends. That is a crazy high rating from a group of very discerning people (yes I'm talking about you, friends!). Perhaps take my review with a grain of salt then. I am one of the few that didn't love this book.

My issues with this one started pretty much right out the gate. For a guy who is used to working with some pretty...more
Lauraadriana
So after my fifth read I felt I should write a review that does this book (or how much I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!) justice. To start I'll say, that yes this book is not perfect, there are things that are far fetched, some are unlikely for the premise of the book, but I don't care! I LOVE IT! I come back to it time after time, because Danny and Miller are just such special characters to me. This book was an early M/M read, and it has not lost its charm one bit. It can still make me smile, cry and curl my...more
Susan

3.5 stars (I’ve been stuck in 3.5-star-ville lately)

Man, this book had the makings to be great. 2 hot characters, opposites attract, closeted g-man, danger, hot man-lovin’, tenderness…so, so close…

Let me just say what I did really, really love about this book:

So often in the M/M books I read, the 2 MC’s are so selfish in their love for each other. You rarely see that truly beautiful “I love you enough to sacrifice for you”. (Protection…also a great example). But, I loved this in Danny and Miller...more
Ridley
Jun 17, 2010 Ridley rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who liked Zero at the Bone but found the story execution a bit flawed.
I know it's not fair to compare this book to Zero at the Bone, but, I can't help it. It's sort of a similar storyline. Where I think Zero was a bit more ambitious, in the end I thought it bit off more than it could chew. Shades of Gray takes a smaller bite and is a bit more graceful about it as a result.

The book opens with Danny Butler sweating, and bleeding, it out while waiting alone in a police interrogation room. A cop pulled him over for running a red light and bags him on a weapons charge,...more
Bev
Buddy read with my mates Gina and Tina. Wow, what an amazing book, I loved it!!

I'm not going to do a long review....lots of other people have quite rightly given this one 5 stars and a full review. To my mind, all sorts of adjectives can be applied to the people in this book, and to the general mood created by the author....tense, gripping, compelling, breathtaking, violent, psychopathic, vicious, hot, sexy....I could go on but won't.

Danny, I liked right from the start, and yes, I know he wa...more
Kira
This book is simply spectacular.

I'm notoriously hard to please when it comes to fictional romances. I just don't buy them. Friends come to me with couples they loved in books or movies, and they leave me stone cold. You see, I was never really brought up to be a romantic type. I was never one of those kids who at ten had decided what cake they wanted at their wedding. At ten, I was really into gory anime and cheesy pasta. I also had an emo phase that went on for longer than it should have. (view...more
Mel
Dec 01, 2011 Mel rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Zero at the Bone lovers
Recommended to Mel by: Lauraadriana
Shelves: e-book, m-m
I tried to like this, I really did, but oh my God, the melodrama! At a certain point I was imagining violins in the background and my inner reading voice relaying the story with a constant sobby infliction... No, this story wasn't for me.

I wanted to say it started well enough, but it didn't actually. No drama there, I'll give you that, but the whole premise of the story is based on one huge suspension of disbelief. And I know, I know: it's fiction; logic has a lot of leeway here, but really: I'...more
Heather C
I loved this book!!

I could not put it down and I have a feeling this is one I'll be thinking about for a while. I only skimmed the blurb so I was expecting this book to be some kind of action/thriller romance, but it is all angsty/emotional romance.

I really liked how most of the story centered around Danny and Miller together. The love scenes were touching and powerful. So much emotion shared between these two each time they were together. It was beautiful every time. They were not overly expli...more
Gina
 photo yenta4-emoticon-0001_zps38a9e118.gif  photo yenta4-emoticon-0001_zps38a9e118.gif  photo yenta4-emoticon-0001_zps38a9e118.gif  photo yenta4-emoticon-0001_zps38a9e118.gif  photo yenta4-emoticon-0001_zps38a9e118.gif
OMG OMG OMG! What an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING book! I have read some really good books, but this one is up there with the few that truly rock my world! I am still left a little speechless and I am at a loss to describe how much this book moved me. The rollercoaster of emotions, the suspense all blended together perfectly to take me a ride that made me forget everything but this story and these two great men!

Two men coming from very different backgrounds and experiences. They are thrown toget...more
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
"Good and evil, right and wrong, innocent and guilty. Stay in the right box and it would all work out in the end."

...or would it?

So, is this book perfect? No.
Is it the best story ever? No.
Does it have flaws? Hell, yes!
But... what's most important - I don't give a damn! It made me laugh, cry, want to hug those two, and - definitely - slap some sense into them occasionally. No way could I, after all that, go for less than five shining stars!

Unfortunately, I never seem to manage to write a decent...more
Macky
I've read this twice now and could easily pick it up again. The chemistry between Miller and Danny jumps off the page at you and literally smacks you in the face from the moment they meet. Millers stoic cop and Dannys cocky nature make for an explosive Pairing.
Danny's no goody goody but as the book progresses and you learn more of his backstory you can't help but grow to love him and even though he's done some not so nice things in his life and witnessed many others, he's far from being a career...more
Ingela
Written April 29, 2013

4.8 Brilliant Stars - Absolutely wonderful - I just loved everything

This is a book that left me still panting with exertion when the last page was read. It was full speed from the first page, so much desire, tenderness and fear to not be enough to be loved. At times I was so scared and worried - was there any possibility of eternal happiness and a life together for them?

A reading I greatly enjoyed. Highly recommended!

~**~**~**~**~**~

Miller Sutton, an FBI agent, has come to...more
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
WHAT A TRULY AWESOME BOOK!!!! I'm sat here trying to write a review after being left breathless from a real rollercoaster ride of emotion. It's not very often a book keeps me up past my bedtime curfew, but I couldn't put this book down and ended up reading until the wee hours of the morning. Will definitely regret that at work today lol!

What I loved about this book? It's passionate, but not too soppy. The feelings for me were very real. Two guys battling against very different backgrounds and hi...more
Tina

Buddy read with my friends Gina and Bev.

I really loved the book. A lot!

It's about Miller Sutton, a FBI agent who comes face to face with his doubts in his black and white world when he starts to interrogate Danny Butler, a drug runner. Miller hopes to catch a much larger fish: Roberto Hinestroza, a drug lord. Miller is surprised to discover Danny is not the career-criminal he expected. At the same time Danny finds himself helplessly attracted to Miller. They barely begin to explore the attract...more
Sandra ♥'s way too many M/M books
May 10, 2013 Sandra ♥'s way too many M/M books rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra ♥'s way too many M/M books by: Ingela
Shelves: m-m
4 lovely stars! “Why," he panted into Danny's neck, "why's it so goddamn good?" He was surprised at how full his voice sounded, so close to overflowing its steady banks. Danny stroked his hair, his lips warm against Miller's cheek. "Because it's us, Miller," he whispered. "Because it's us.”>

I love Danny this amazing story is about a criminal turned informant. And the lost FBI Agent Miller Sutton who sees everything in black and white. Until he has to protect his witness Danny and keep him al...more
Ami
So many people compared this to Jane Seville's Zero at the Bone ... since both books have plot about two people find love when on the run. Miller is an FBI agent. Danny is mid-level drug runner. Miller needs to protect Danny since he is essential in breaking the case. And in the process, Miller finds himself questioning who he is, as he feels attracted to Danny.

I really, REALLY enjoy this book. I think what I love the most is the concept of "Shades of Gray" between the two people. Danny might be...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
This book was a real treat. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I never dreamed it would be something this good.
Shades of Grey was a book that made you stop and think. About right and wrong. Good and Bad. How your choices can change your whole life, for good or bad. Can we really deny who and what we are? Would we want to? Just how hard is it for some men to admit to themselves that they are gay.
Both the characters had made choices in this book. Not all of them were good and right, but they were t...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
T.A. Webb
Danny Butler is a criminal. End of subject. A means to an end. The lieutenant to a drug lord, he is the key to bringing down the head honcho.

And that is something Miller Sutton has as a fact in his black and white world. He has been building the case against Roberto Hinestroza for years, and he will do whatever to takes to finish the case, put the man behind bars and move on to the next scumbag. That is his life, his mission, and who he is.

But when he has to protect Danny when he enters the Witn...more
Hannah
Sometimes when I read romance novels, I get so deeply invested in the central characters that I don't care what happens to them, or what they lose along the way, just so long as they get to be together in the end. When two characters take on the world together and rebuild it according to their own rules, it makes me want to stand up and cheer. I love that kind of story.

This is not that kind of story.

This is the story of how the world takes two already-broken individuals, chews on them for a whi...more
Breann
“That’s the best you can hope for, Danny. That your life turns out like that patchwork quilt. That you add some bright, sparkling pieces to the dirty stained ones you’ve got so far. That in the end, the bright patches might take up more spaces on your quilt than the dark ones.”

Danny Butler is a man who is unknowingly being watched by the FBI. Miller Sutton has been biding his time waiting for the opportunity to arrest Danny. Danny is an employee of a drug-lord, Roberto Hinestroza, and could be a...more
Lenore
This wasn’t a bad book overall. Actually, I found the general style good, with a balanced and fitting use of adjectives, similes, metaphors, etc. The pace was tight, the POVs clear and the plot decent.

There were two major issues though. One, the major WTF moments that had me rolling my eyes instead of concentrating in the story and, two, the feeling that the two heroes were too effeminate and acting out of character.

About the eye rolling moments. I understand that sometimes you have to ignore ce...more
StellaR
This is Miller and Danny's story

Sometimes the line between right and wrong blurs

Sometimes love makes you choose not to do the right thing

...that logic isn't a part of loving someone

“finding what made you happy was only
~~Dani ♥ semi-colons~~

So close to perfect for a book in this genre. This had it all: two very real, complex MCs, a tight plot, nuanced writing, action, fantastic chemistry, and serious sizzle.

I had to keep setting it down, because this was such an emotional ride. Yes, I cried, and I'm utterly in love with Danny.

Why is this McKinley's only book? This one is a must-read.
Kaje Harper
Kassa
This is easily one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read this year. Captivating and enthralling, Shades of Gray shines with a tight plot and superior characterization. The writing is engaging and the characters have incredible depth. There are no cookie cutter villains or superheroes, only variations of good and evil within each person. The situations created are interesting and complex with few easy solutions and only one or two last minute heroics but even those are tempered by high physical a...more
Isabel
This book is absolutely fabulous!!! The story is captivating and addictive. I didn't wanted to get to the end of it... I wanted more! Danny and Miller... one more amazing couple that I will never forget, and I will reread their story for sure!

I won't say that I didn't suffered trough this reading, I won't deny the angst and the horror of some parts, but the final result is marvellous! Danny is a fascinating character, and Miller is close behind!
Candice
I really enjoyed this book from beginning to end. The characters of Danny and Miller were great and seeing the struggles that they both were going through, internal as well as external added a lot to this book. The flash backs throughout the book really allowed you to understand both of these characters and why they are the way they all. I give this one 4.5 stars.
Mishyjo
Feb 05, 2014 Mishyjo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mishyjo by: Amy
The story was good, the audio book narration not so much. So, considering I liked the story despite the subpar narration, I am thinking the book must be pretty darn good.

I have to assume that the FBI agent falling for the criminal turned informant story line has been done many times before, but it is my first time reading it. Every time I thought I figured out how it will all work out between them, there was another wrinkle and I was left scratching my head.

I liked Danny a lot. I seem to always...more
Stacey Jo
W-O-W!!! What an awesome book!!! Can I give it 6 stars? This was so unbelievably good. I loved the tension between Danny and Miller at the beginning. I liked the drawn out looks and touches until Miller caved to his desires. I think it was so sweet how Danny may have been a criminal, but he still had the capacity to be a kind hearted person with a huge capacity to love. The sex was smoking hot, but at the same time, very sweet and loving. These guys are very much in love and knew how to show it...more
The Challenge Fac...: ♛ Jennifer C., Melissa & Ezi- Shades of Gray 33 20 Oct 26, 2013 08:57AM
  • Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone, #1)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Point of No Return (Turning Point, #1)
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • The Island
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1)
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
Brooke McKinley has always been practical. So after college she continued on to law school instead of pursuing her lifelong dream of writing novels. She didn't stop writing but confined it to scribbles on the edges of yellow legal pads and hurried paragraphs during late-night coffee breaks. After ten interesting and challenging years as a criminal defense attorney, Brooke left the practice of law...more
More about Brooke McKinley...

“It's like this old patchwork quilt my momma used to have...Each piece on that quilt meant something. And some of those pieces were the damn ugliest things you've ever seen...But some of the pieces were so beautiful they almost hurt my eyes to look at when I was a kid...That's the best you can hope for, Danny. That your life turns out like that patchwork quilt. That you can add some bright, sparkling pieces to the dirty, stained ones you have so far. That in the end, the bright patches might take up more space on your quilt than the dark ones.” 82 likes
39 likes