Start by marking “Dragon's Fat Cat: Dragon's Fourth Tale” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Dragon's Fat Cat: Drag...

Dav Pilkey

Dragon's Fat Cat: Dragon's Fourth Tale (The Dragon Tales)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Dragon finds a fat cat in the snow outside his house, brings it inside, and soon has a family.
Published March 1st 1992 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Fat Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Fat Cat

elissa
Oct 07, 2007 elissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and preschoolers/kindergarteners
I didn't read that many easy readers in the 90's, but I love cats, so this one caught my eye shortly after it came out. The very short chapters are designed to be read by beginning readers, but they're too much fun to not be shared between parents and kids. I've loved reading it with both of my sons. Pilkey is hilarious!
John
The tale of Dragon and his fat cat begins with a humble dragon sitting in his living room on a snowy January night. All is peaceful until Dragon hears a "meow" coming from outside his front door. After the cat refuses to come in from the cold Dragon grabs it and places it next to the fire. The story continues with Dragon trying to make living arrangements for the cat in his house but he quickly learns that taking care of a pet is no easy work. The fat cat is constantly making messes in Dragon's ...more
Myra
So, this was my all-time favorite episode of the TV show, and the book is also my favorite. Dragon finds a stray cat. And decides to keep it. But Dragon has no idea how to take care of a cat. Hilarity ensues.
Heather
A cute book with a cute story. Sometimes the books are a little disappointing when you come from them after seeing a tv show about them, but this one was good.
Jeanette
Adorable book. My kids and I loved it!!!!
Sandie
We loved it! What a fun book and the illustrations are way cute!

I have actually enjoyed pretty much all of Dav Pilkey's books that we have come across now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Captain Underpants series but my son enjoyed them back in like 3rd grade or so.

This book is about Dragon and the fat cat that he finds in the snow. When he trys to care for Cat as he named it, the errors are comical!

A very fun book. Good example of showing compassion to other creatures.
Marcus
Jan 26, 2010 Marcus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcus by: Mummy
Michelle
This book is longer than the ones I usually pick out for my son, but he insisted on it and ended up loving it. In this Dragon story, he rescues a cat from the snow and learns how to take care of it. It's a cute and sweet story about responsibility in a way that children can easily understand and relate to. Definitely a good one. The "chapters" are also very short, which I think is a neat way to introduce children to longer books without overwhelming them.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
Shelves: 2011, childrens, pets, humor
A fun beginning chapter book featuring the lovable Dragon. We love the deadpan humor and the adorable illustrations in this story. It's just about as funny as The Adventures of Captain Underpants, but without the toilet humor. We really enjoyed this story and will look for more of these tales at our local library.
Ubalstecha
Dragon adopts a cat that he finds sitting outside his house one day. He and the cat quickly establish a typical cat/owner relationship. That is that the cat rules the household.

Like any Dav Pilkey book, this is a humourous story that young children will enjoy. It's status as an early reader will also appeal to parents looking to stretch their children's reading.

Fun!
Randie
Dragon acquires a frozen cat, after he thaws out he makes a problem-some pet but Dragon gets some help and learns how to care for his cat. Dragon goes to the store to buy things for cat but he leaves something important behind...and when he returns for the left behind item, he finds five surprises!

Great book for emerging readers.
Marcia
Love this series! Again a great one for early readers (1st grade). Funny, cute and great use of words they can read. If you don't know Dav Pilkey is the author Captain Underpants. He has LOTS of other series as well for all different levels. He's my son's favorite author (it helps that my son's name is David!).
Karen Stanford
This is my all time favorite children's book. The story is funny yet teaches responsibility in pet ownership. The illustrations are amazing! I love watching my students read this book because they inevitably start laughing at one point in the book. It's real but not over the top.
Teketel Hessel-farmer
This was the first Dragon book we'd ever read and it was great! Beautiful and creative illustrations. And Dragon is a very accessible character. I think this book really taps into a child's sense of compassion and empathy for others...
Beth
Dragon helps the fat cat avoid the snow and stay in his house. Dragon names this creature Cat. Dragon has a hard time training Cat as well. The kittens also like Dragon's bed.
This might be nice to read when getting a new pet.
Kellee
My favorite of the Dragon Tales series (though I am biased because I love cats :D). This tale of Dragon discusses not only friendship and kindness, but also taking care of a pet.
Meghan Nels
This book was fun to read and funny but doesn't stand out as anything special. My students would probably only check it out because it's written by the same author as Captain Underpants.
ayanami
I've read this one three times now for work. The kids just love it. Charming illustrations and a very funny, heartwarming story.
Heather
29 months - Cute young reader chapter book. Funny ending. We'll have to read this one again when O is reading.
Amy Brown
Dragon finds a lost cat but has to learn what to do to take care of a kitty properly. Funny series. AR 2.8
happydog
I love the Dragon books! They are pretty funny, especially this one! And of course I love the illustrations!
Modboy
Another sweet book from Pilkey's Dragon Tales series. Funny, warm and quite enjoyable.
Debbie
Alex loves this book, and so do I. It's a wonderful one for his age (5).
Debbie
This book is so sweet and adorable! All of the Dragon books are hilarious.
Lisa C
I have a sneaking suspicion that Dav Pilkey has taken in a stray cat or two.
Briana
Feb 07, 2011 Briana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
What a precious little book. I love Pilkey's unique style.
Tam
We love the "Dragon" books! He always makes us laugh!
Mehta
Fat Cat that looks suspiciously like Llewellyn...
Kirei
Hilarious. These dragon books are so funny.
Elise
Kids laughed through the whole book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Poppleton Forever (Poppleton)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read Books)
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Make Way For Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #3)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Elephants Cannot Dance!
  • The Secret Olivia Told Me
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • Ugly Fish
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • Let's Do Nothing!
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...

The Dragon Tales (5 books)
  • A Friend For Dragon
  • Dragon Gets By
  • Dragon's Merry Christmas
  • Dragon's Halloween
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2) The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4) Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)