Start by marking “Girls in Love (Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girls in Love (Girls, #1)

Girls in Love (Girls #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,782 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Ellie’s starting ninth grade and she’s got some very definite goals. She’ll stay best friends with Magda and Nadine. She’ll go on a diet and stick to it. She’ll get a glamorous hairstyle. And she’ll get a boyfriend. Even if she has to settle for one who likes her more than she likes him. Any guy will do, right?

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 19th 2002 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

Christine Blachford
I’ve always had a soft spot for Jacqueline Wilson, even though I am far too old to be reading things like this now. I picked this up as part of my reading list challenge, and having vaguely recalled a kids TV show that was made out of this source material, I was intrigued at how the story would go.

The thing about Jacqueline Wilson is that she gets right inside kids heads, and even though I am not a kid anymore, I could remember the feelings she was describing as if they were yesterday. Maybe I a
Catherine
Jul 16, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
At the start this book suspiciouly reminded me of the Confessions of Gee Nicholson, but then I found out it was published before that series...
It was very different though. No snog-a-thons or Dave-the-laughs, but it did hold a different quality, a more emotional, real life one.
It is about 13 year old Ellie. Bushy haired, glasses wearing plump Ellie and the fixes she gets herslef into, one with dorky Dan...
I remember watching the TV version of it when I was about 9, and thinking 'I'm going to r
Janelle Dazzlepants
The book was very cute, and all the girls were relatable although I have to admit that Magda got on my nerves. Elly is adorably self-deprecating without it being annoying and just begging for reassurance, and Nadine may look like the token goth chick, but she's put in situations that young girls can definitely relate to. It's a mess of hormones, self-confidence issues, girltalk and sex without being tacky or scandalous or too sexed up.

The tv series adaptation is also really great =D
Emily May
Aww, what a sweet book of innocence and shattered innocence. Of love and heartbreak. I felt a connection with each of the characters in this book and it was possibly one of the most important books of my early teens. If you are between 11 and 15/16 then you should read this book. A very cute read!
Faduma Mohamud
Guttegærne jenter formet meg!!!! Aaah min barndom
Connie
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Girls in Love
Series: Girls #1
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Overall Review: 3 stars

You're all probably thinking, Connie? Why are you reading books for kids?

Well because I want to read as many books as possible to keep me awake and they're all on my shelves so I might as well.

Ellie is going into Year 9, that's Year 10 for the Northern Irish amongst us and Freshman Year for the Americans. She's fourteen and when I first read these books at 7, that w
Kate
Oct 25, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ;)
Shelves: myfavorites
Three rambuncious girls named Magda, Ella and Nadine have about one thing in common, they are all totally boy crazy! Ella always puts herself down just because she is a little bit paranoid of her weight and face shape. Another problem is, her friend's are boy MAGNETS! Everywhere they go, boys just have to stop and look at them! The only boy that really loves Ella is Eggs, her annoying little brother. But of course there is dan. A silly little 12 year old named Dan that is madly in love with Ell ...more
Shahrun
Mar 30, 2015 Shahrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Jacqueline Wilson when I was a kid. And I still do! This book was so much fun and really transported me back to my teen years (the good and the bad). I loved the illustrations too. More books should have them! I have now ordered the rest of the series.
Dany
Nov 11, 2015 Dany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
leggendolo ero addirittura quasi tentata di dargli 3 stelline ma poi il finale mi ha spiazzato e deluso più del resto del libro e ciao ciao. Okay, forse è perchè non ho l'età ma la storia era carina: Ellie perde la mamma, ha due migliori amiche, una matrigna e desidera un fidanzato, come tutte le adolescenti. E vive la vita che vivono tutte le adolescenti. E' bello quando nei libri per adolescenti viene sottolineata l'importanza dell'amicizia ma questo libro mi ha delusa un sacco.
Marta
Jun 28, 2008 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My TV broke so the rapair man took it to fix and now I can't stop reading books. I have read this book in 1 day and I am finally reading another book. I really like this book because it has some fun things and it was really interesting. The book is about 3 girls. Ellie, Magda and Nadine. They are the 3 best friends. Ellie thinks that she is unattractive and boring, and that no boy would ever be interested in her. Magda has boyfriends all the time and Nadine is dead gorgeous and was nearly on the ...more
Kayleigh Offley
Jacqueline Wilson was one of my favourite authors as a young teen. I always loved how she really got into the heads of children/teenagers and tackled a huge number of very real issues.

I fancied a bit of nostalgic reading the other evening and I managed to find a used set of the "girls" series that I have fond memories of! Once they arrived I quickly settled down to re-read 'girls in love'. I whizzed through it quickly and it brought back so many memories!

It is hard to give a rating for this boo
Kate Millin
Apr 20, 2010 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Teenage angst books she writes so well. This is the first in a series of three about Ellie and her best friends Magda and Nadine just going into year 7 and starting to get interested on boys. It brought back lots of memories of what it felt like to be in that difficult time when you are not an adult or a child
Emma
Sep 06, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched this show as a teenager and loved it, when I saw it going for cheap in the bookshop I volunteer in, I could not pass up the opportunity to read it. It wasn't exactly what I remembered, but it was still enjoyable. I am an adult so not the target demographic, but I found it funny and clever. Some of the stuff the 13 year old girls got up to was a little much, I am positive I didn't do anything like that at that age, didn't even really start thinking about boys until I was 15.

I did really
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Jacqueline Wilson really knows how to het into a young girls head. The book did have me giggling a few times at how thirteen year olds act. WELL past it now it was different seeing how things are, as you never really remember being that age.

The book focuses on three best friends Nadine, Magda and our narrator Ellie. We get the issues of growing up, step moms, pesky siblings and the issue of boyfriends.

It was a laugh reading as an adult remembering how awkward that age is as things change from u
Laura Ellison
Jan 01, 2016 Laura Ellison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After challenging myself to revisit the books I loved as a child and young teenager - and then review them from memory - where better to begin than at Jacqueline Wilson? I loved the 'Girls' series, I think I must have read Girls In Love a dozen times over the years.

As told by Ellie, an artistic pre-teen, I instantly warmed to her. Her insecurities are typical of a girl of her age. How Wilson manages to so expertly define the thoughts of a young girl throughout the generations is nothing short o
bakanekonomama
Uumm... 2.75 bintang kayaknya...

Berkisah tentang Ellie, seorang gadis remaja berusia 13 tahun yg sedang putus asa karena dua sahabatnya: Nadine dan Magda sudah punya cowok. Nadine pacaran dgn seorang pria super tampan yg udah kuliah (dan ya, Nadine masih 13 tahun, which is masih SMP!!!). Sedangkan Magda "menjatuhkan" Greg hanya dalam 5 menit krn Nadine udah punya cowok dan dia iri sama sahabatnya itu.

Lalu... Tinggallah Ellie sendiri. Ia akhirnya bercerita kalau dia juga sudah pny cowok, seorang
Hobby
Ilustrator : Ony Marga
Lay-out : Aniza Pujiati
Cetakan I : Februari 2009 ; 196 hlm ; ISBN 978-979-1411-36-3
Rate : 3 of 5

Meet Eleanor ‘Ellie’ Allard – gadis manis berusia 13 tahun, duduk di bangku kelas sembilan di London. Hidup Ellie tampak biasa-biasa saja, kecuali fakta bahwa ibu kandungnya meninggal saat ia kecil, dan ayahnya menikah k
Whymsy Likes Books
Boyfriends, diets, and being cool … growing up is hard to do.

This is a story about the in between time from child to teenager. Growing up gracefully is never easy and Ellie and her friends are a prime example of how it really is. Ellie is not super smart, or beautiful, she is a little chubby and likes to draw, in other words a perfectly average girl making her very relatable. She admires her friends and can only see her flaws when comparing herself to them. But not everything is as peachy as Ell
Lauren Hudson
Nov 15, 2013 Lauren Hudson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rated a book I had read in Secondary school and was given this as a recommendation.

All I will say is do not let your children read Jaqueline Wilson books. These books were in the school library when I was 11 and I've seen other readers say they are popular amongst the 8-12/1 age group. Going by on what I remember from reading them at that young age (and I remember them quite well) Wilson manages to write about a host of topics (sex, eating disorders) in an extrememly age innapropriate way.

Su
Kingfan30
May 26, 2015 Kingfan30 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bbc-big-read
A lovely quick read to pass a bank holiday Monday afternoon. I had to smile to myself when she mentions a cuddly toy from when she was younger which was an elephant called Nellie, I too had an elephant called Nellie and just last weekend found her tucked away in a box! A good look at being a teenager in love and the problems this causes between friends, family and if you think it is the right thing for you.
Nicholas Whyte

A good book for teenagers - aimed more at girls than boys, with an honest story about relationships, status, hideous embarrassment and BOYS. It didn't wow me quite as much as the other books I've read by the same author, but I'm not the target audience and I'd happily get it for those who are.
Naomi Oyegue
SOMETIMES IN LIFE WE MIGHT THINK THAT WE ARE NOT ATTRACTIVE BECAUSE BOYS DON'T WANT TO GO OUT WITH YOU. BUT YOU MIGHT REALIZE THAT BEING ON YOUR OWN IS ACTUALLY THE BEST WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR BEAUTY OR THAT GOING OUT WITH SOMEONE WHO YOU THINK IS THE UGLIEST IN THE WORLD BUT THEN YOU WILL REALIZE THAT HE HIS ACTUALLY THE ONE WHO BRINGS THE BEAUTY IN YOU.

READ TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS BOOK
Sammy Beresfor-Kay
At the age I read this book (12 or 13), it really taught me a lot about growing up and for me who isn't the slimmest or prettiest girl at the time could relate to how the main character was. This book is fantastic for any teenage or 10+ child to teach then many things so I recommend it. It's also my favourite series written by Jacqueline Wilson.
Maria
When I was growing up, it seemed like every girl's favourite author was Jacqueline Wilson! I can't say her books were favourites myself, but I do remember reading the "Girls" series. A lot of it is incredibly cringe-worthy, but there's also some life lessons in there that could prove useful for young girls experiencing their first "relationships".
Nicole
Jun 22, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-due-date
Ellie is a thirteen year old girl living in London, and going to grade nine with her two gorgeous best friends Magda and Nadine. As she goes through the school year with the many goals of dieting, getting new clothes, getting a job in order to buy new clothes, and getting a real boyfriend, she comes to find out she might just get everything she’s dreaming of. but will they meet her expectations?

Girls in love is an amazingly witty and comical book about anything and everything teenage girl’s woul
Hattie
Experience Ellie’s life with her two very close friends Nadine and Magda. You will find that Ellie is very insecure and is constantly wishing someone would fall in love with her. . She soon finds one of her fantasies comes with a twist. When she goes on holiday to their cute little cottage in Wales,close to where she lives she meets this twelve year old boy named Dan who soon falls in love with Ellie and asks her to come back to America with her. Ellie is appalled and realizes how immature Dan i ...more
Celia
Jan 16, 2013 Celia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-library
Jacqueline Wilson books are extremely popular with the 8-12 year olds at our school, and so I grabbed this book to read. In the story, thirteen-year-old Ellie has two best friends: goth Nadine, and flirty Magda. They goof off at school and are focused on boyfriends, and it's goth Nadine who lands an older one. He pressures her to go further, even as Ellie is trying to find a boy of her own, and her father and step-mother begin fighting more and more.

My overall assessment is that the book is lig
Terri Milstead
This is my second Jacqueline Wilson book, both of which I've read because they are on the Big Read list which I am working my way through. This one is fun, but has some heavier undertones than Tracy Beaker did. Since I have a 14 year old daughter now, some of these heavier undertones make this mom a little concerned! At any rate, this was a good, quick read with a lot of honesty about the lives of 12-14 year olds. I thought one of the lists in the book was particularly telling about the weird in ...more
Ursula Clancy
I don't understand why they all have to be so similar these sorts of books. If there is any book where the main character is fine with the way they look or whatever ad isn't jealous of their friend/s please let me know.
Veda Skatter
This was a really quick read. Very girly, entertaining. Not a very heavy book, but the topics weren't too light either. Overall, good for a few laughs and relatable for generally all teen girls.
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
  • Lucky Star
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Charm School
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl (Ally's World, #1)
  • How to Flunk Your First Date (Two of a Kind, #2)
  • Mates, Dates, and Designer Divas (Mates, Dates, #3)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

Girls (4 books)
  • Girls Under Pressure (Girls, #2)
  • Girls Out Late (Girls, #3)
  • Girls in Tears (Girls, #4)