Start by marking “Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)

Walking Dead (Walker Papers #4)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  4,439 ratings  ·  149 reviews

For once, Joanne Walker's not out to save the world. She's come to terms with the host of shamanic powers she's been given, her job as a police detective has been relatively calm, and she's got a love life for the first time in memory. Not bad for a woman who started out the year mostly dead.
But it's Halloween, and the undead have just crashed Joanne's party.
Now, with he
Published September 1st 2009 by Luna Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Walking Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Dead

The Flooze
**3.5**

It's been quite some time since I've visited Joanne Walker's world. Walking Dead did much to remind me what I love about the series - and what annoys me about it.

Murphy's concept is great. The combination of Native American and Celtic folklore is a plus for this series, as it creates a wide landscape for the characters to explore. It also allows for an interconnectedness between varying mythologies; in Joanne's Seattle, most world-concepts exist side by side. I enjoy stories in which diff
Julie
I really like this series. The first book sounded interesting and it was. The second book was a waste, but I still was holding on. The third book Hooked me completely. This book was even better, except this story line that kept coming up about banshee's. It came up in the other books but it was a major key story line in this book as the next and I was left saying WTH! BIG FLAW!

There is a short story called Banshee Cries in an anthology called Winter Moon. This short story seems to have had a la
Mary
Joanne Walker has settled in as a detective partnering with her friend, Billy. She finally has a romantic life and is dating "Thor" aka Edward from the motor pool. She is even coming to terms with her shamanic power and what it means for her long-term. Everything seems to be going well. So, of course, it all goes to hell during a Halloween party.

These books are still kind of all over the place. There is too much going on with Shamans, Ghosts, Zombies, the Wild Hunt, etc. But, because Joanne is
Julie (jjmachshev)
Yet another series I CANNOT get enough of. "Walking Dead" is C.E. Murphy's latest in her 'Walker Paper' series about Joanne Walker, shamaness/auto mechanic/cop. Now if that combination doesn't make you want to read this series, I don't know what would!

It's been a chaotic year for Joanne. Her otherworld mentor, Coyote, died in the last book. But as in real life, major events presage major life changes and Joanne has finally (well, mostly) come to terms with all the weirdness that goes with being
Zephfire
The fourth in the Walker Papers series.
I really enjoyed the return of Joanne Walker and ensemble cast, one of my favourite things about this series is her cast of friends, they're all vital parts to each story for me.
This book also sees the return of Cernunnos and the Wild Hunt in all their finery..so a double bonus for me!
It's nice to see Joanne's character develop, she's really beginning to hone her shaman skills and has stopped trying to fight/deny her heritage which really pleased me. It's a
Lily
It's been a while since I read this series and this latest installment was cute. I mean the voice (internal dialog) is funny and the concept of Joanne using her own visualizations to own and use her power is great. She is funny but almost too funny. Almost too light. I don't know how else to explain the feeling that maybe its time to bring this baby home. Maybe the author moved on from this world. I dont know. I still liked it. Maybe I should erase this. Naw.

Now , I lilked the story , I liked e
Kt
After crazy things erupted at her Halloween party, Joanne is yet again thrown into the middle of a crazy mystical scheme. Extremely old ghosts are surfacing with a vengeance and a cauldron that can make an undead army is stolen. Without her spirit guide Coyote she is forced to try and figure out how to stop whoever is trying to use the cauldron. Meanwhile she's trying to juggle her relationship with Thor, her feelings for Morrison and an extremely nosy insurance adjuster that just won't stop har ...more
Darcy
I really like this series in a large part due to the heroine Joanne. The best thing about her is that she doesn't see herself as a hero. Just a normal person who is blundering her way through being a shamin after it was thrust on her. I love how when she learns something she is excited to share it with others only to find out they already know. Her always wanting a supernatural handbook to catch up cracks me up!!

This was a great book for her as she has accepted and embraced being a shamin. Durin
Cynthia Armistead
I've enjoyed the other Walker Papers novels, but Walking Dead definitely showed more depth and maturity than the earlier volumes. Both the author and her lead character have grown very nicely. It's refreshing to read a series that does not fall into the all-too-familiar paranormal romance formula!

Another thing I enjoy about this series is that heroine Joanne has a supporting ensemble of friends and coworkers who have their own talents and foibles, including a delightful married couple, a sexy fa
Ana
Meh. Better than the others I guess but still hasn't achieved all of its glorious potential...The main character is evolving but still makes so damn many mistakes. At least she agrees with me that she's not a bright girl!

Anyway I liked this one better probably just because the lord master of the Wild Hunt graced us with his presence...He also kicked Jo's jaw as an hello but hey that's what one gets when one smiles when confronted with the Master Of the WILD HUNT! I mean, really? The guy is a GO
Anita
This is the 4th book in an urban fantasy series about a reluctant shaman. She's half Native American, a mechanic by vocation, and recently promoted to a police detective to handle the woo-woo cases. This book starts with her throwing her first party ever, but it gets crashed by ghosts. Then she and her partner get called into a murder case involving the theft of an ancient death cauldron. As usual, there is magic and travel to other planes of mystical existence. Eventually, there are zombies.

The
Lokki
The fourth book in the Walker Papers series is my favourite so far. It's Halloween and Joanne's co-hosting a party dressed as Xena Warrior Princess with Phoebe dressed as Gabrielle. It's all fun and games until the zombies arrive...Natually, Halloween means it's zombie season in Seattle and someone has killed a security guard, possibly kidnapped another, and stolen the Black Cauldron (actually it's Mathobwych's Cauldron, a mythical cauldron supposed able to bring the dead back to life). Joanne a ...more
Donna
You would think a Halloween party would be a relatively safe event but not when Joanne Walker is the host' the undead crash the party. If that isn't enough, she and her partner get called into a murder that involves someone having stolen a magic cauldron that is purported to have the ability to bring the dead back to life.
If you haven't read any of Murphy's urban shaman series, you are in for a treat but watch out as they are addicting.
Megan
I have so many problems with this series, I'm in the middle of this book and I'm giving up on it. First, the series reads like a third draft (which also needs revision and a final draft as well). I'm flipping through pages going "wtf is going on?".

Another problem is that the male interests (Thor and Morrison) are just uninteresting. They really don't have their own personalities (maybe because Jo doesn't care enough to find out more about either of them).

I get that Jo loves cars... but really?
Kat Klein
Joanne is settling into her role as a shaman, is involved in a relationship, and learning to accept friends in her life. As co-host to a hopping Halloween party, she's actually having fun. Unfortunately for Jo, the fun doesn't last. Now she and her partner Billy have to stop a group of vengeful ghosts, investigate a murder, and deal with hordes of zombies (which seriously freak poor Jo out)

This was probably my favorite book in this series to date. Once again the action keeps going, and going. Jo
Brandy
At this point, I have read book 4 of the Walker Papers four or five times. If you are reading them straight through (as opposed to over the 1 year spacing at which they were released), some of the refresher material in the first couple of chapters can feel a little repetitive. Get through it, over it, skim it, whatever. Book 4 still provides a fantastic story - ghosts and zombies this time. Jo has finally started to get her act together with regard to her powers; her love life is, as always, a m ...more
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series revolving around Joanne Walker. She’s been a detective with the Seattle Police Department for four months now. And barely longer as a shaman.

My Take
Crack me up…Joanne’s plan to not be recognized by wearing a mask is thwarted with that wolf whistle, lol. After events in Coyote Dreams , 3, Joanne has gotten more introspective about her perspective in childhood. I do like that she’s finally starting to accept that she has gifts.

I do enjoy Joanne’s e
Jiagemented
I finally had a "throw the book across the room" moment with this installment in the series (metaphorically speaking). I really liked the premise of the first book; the second and third books had the protagonist acting sort of moronic and immature, but I can handle that as a (temporary) part of the "growth of a hero" arc. But I had a lot of problems reading this one.

Seemed like there was too much dippy-ness, not just in the behavior of the protagonist but in the way things were described. There
Julie
It's a shame this is the last book in the series (or at least I think it is) because this was the best one.

Throughout the four books, Joanne has been a reluctant participant in her calling/fate/whatever you want to call it. At times it was easy to understand her frustration and her stubborn attitude against her life being forced to change. Then it started getting annoying. But with this last book she put on her big girl panties and got the job done.

The great thing about her is she's easy to lik
Dorri
It's been a chaotic year for Joanne. Her otherworld mentor, Coyote, died, she's become a reluctant detective with the Seattle Police department and she's manged to accept being a tried and true shaman, in an I-not-really-crazy kind of way. Coming to terms with all the weirdness that goes with being who she is seems to be taking a little longer, although she is managing to train both physically and metaphysically for the things she might come up against.

After the dead unexpectantly crash her hal
Rachel
Normally I don't care for zombies in my fantasy literature - the ick factor is just too high for me. (I don't do horror movies, either.) This book is probably the first exception as Joanne disliked them as much as I do. I love that she now as a better sense of what she is doing with her shamanic abilities, and she has even studied a few things related to this so that she is better prepared for future needs. It seems to me that as Joanne better understands the mechanics of what she is doing, the ...more
Bron
Walking Dead is a swift paced book, just as quoted on the cover of the book.....

Joanne started the book wearing a Xena outfit at a halloween/birthday party that she was hostess for. Part way through the party, and very early in the book, a couple of dancers rise out of a cauldron (that wasn't ordered by Joanne- mysterious), and are attacked by a deadly mist full of very angry dead ghosts. From here the action continues with really not much downtime in the whole book. Joanne and Billy work at try
Sho
Continuing with my re-read of this series.

The 4th book in the series involves around the cauldron, yes that Black cauldron I read about in Loyd Alexander's Taran series.

If you are a nerdy type of person who likes genre shows, you would really apprecitate the beginning of this book. I can't believe I missed it when I first listened to it. I must have been doing something else while listening to it. Now I have this image of Lucy Lawless as Joanne, and it sort of works. All I need now is to think
Jo
This is the 4th book in the series, and the best so far. In this installment, Joanne Walker, aka Siobahn Walkingstick, shaman/auto mechanic/cop, starts out this installment having fun, co-hosting a Halloween party, but even that goes really, really weird, when zombies start pouring out of a cauldron.

One of the things I like best about this series, is the same thing that (by the reiews I've read) drives a lot of readers nuts (& some away). I love that Joanne is not the usual drop-dead gorgeo
Lianne Burwell
This is the fourth novel in the Joanne Walker series, and I do find them improving in each book (which is good, since one hopes the author is progressing in her craft).

As time goes by, Joanne is becoming more comfortable and confident in her role as a shaman. She's still in love with her Captain, Morrison, while dating co-worker Thor, er... Edward. Her cross-dressing (and married with a fourth kid on the way) partner, Billy, is a medium, so he gets her strangeness.

The book starts with a pre-hall
So, I Read This Book Today
Joanne Walker needs a Manual. Not a manual for Petite, her much-beloved classic purple Mustang, but a Manual on Shamanism. Cause believe her, this whole Shamanism thing is tough! Especially when your mentor has disappeared, and zombies are pouring out of the cauldron at your Halloween party! And just when you are finally getting a handle on this whole 'boyfriend' thing, too. Ah, well, saving the world comes first, and Joanne, in all her 6' glory, is just the girl for the job.

If you have a daught
Beth Cato
Joanne Walker is back. And she's hosting a Halloween party and wearing a skimpy Xena costume. No, hell hadn't frozen over, but the party doesn't go too smoothly after a bunch of malevolent spirits arrive and try to take over a few bodies. Joanne steps in and saves the day with her shamanic powers, but things aren't all rosy yet. The next day is Halloween, after all. When a museum guard is murdered and an exhibit stolen - and exhibit featured the famed Black Caldron - Joanne investigates with her ...more
Dee
Summary: When Joannie is pressed into a 'Xena, warrior princess' costume for Halloween, she anticipates a night of fun. However, the party is interrupted by a miasmic force, and she and her partner on the force Billy have to save their friends. This is linked to a murder and robbery that happens at a Museum later, as the stolen Cauldron has the power to bring back the dead. Joannie has to find the cauldron, the culprit, and restore peace to these souls. She gets helped by her old nemesis, the Wi ...more
Stacy
Susana
3,5 stars

In this story, Joanne will have to face an invasion of zombies, the return of the Wild Hunt, while trying to lead her very complicated new shaman life. She is now dating "Thor" aka Edward, who is a really good guy. Joanne likes him, he likes cars, it seems to be a match made in heaven....if only Cpt Michael Morrison hadn't taken permanent residence in her heart.

While i like this series plots _well, some more than others _ what really grabbed me, was C.E. Murphy's characters, which i jus
  • Winter Moon
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Free Fall (Retrievers, #5)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye #5)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac, #4)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (9 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1) Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3) Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2) Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6) Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)

“She had a body that even I coveted in a strictly Platonic sense.” 8 likes
“I suppose I knew on an intellectual level that graves weren't especially made for getting out of. I mean, you start with a hermetically sealed casket and then you dump six feet of dirt on top of it. Over time the earth gets compacted, which can't make it easy to dig through. So even if you're a very angry and determined zombie, you've kind of got your work cut out for you just escaping from the grave.

Which was, I suppose, why we got hit with an initial wave of zombie bugs, birds and rodents. I bet some people would say if you've never picked undead mosquitoes out of your teeth, you've never lived. Under that definition, I'd be just as happy to have not lived, thanks.”
7 likes