Start by marking “The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies” as Want to Read:
The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies

The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies

The invasion begins . . . and the dead start to rise. There's panic in the streets of London as invaders from Mars wreak havoc on the living, slaying the populace with Heat-Rays and poisonous clouds of black smoke. Humanity struggles to survive against technology far beyond its own, meeting fear and death at every turn. But that's not the only struggle mankind must face. T ...more
Published April 30th 2009 by Coscom Entertainment (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The War of the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War of the Worlds

Patrick D'Orazio
This is the second book I have read recently that uses the template of a classic novel and layers over that the invasion of the undead. The first: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, while entertaining based on the novelty of a comedy of manners having brain eating zombies in it, didn't flow quite as well as this re-envisioning of The War of the Worlds.

Much like in the other book, the author here has let the original storyline remain in place, perhaps retaining upwards of 85% of the orginal text,
Stephen North
Oct 17, 2009 Stephen North rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eric seemlessly adds zombies to the tale. I couldn't really tell where his voice ended and Mr. Wells started. If you are looking for gruesome violence you may want to look elsewhere, otherwise I think Eric did a great job.
Karielle
Jan 21, 2011 Karielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Blurb: The classic science fiction tale that will eat your brains!
Never before in the history of warfare had destruction been so indiscriminate and so universal.
Panic descends upon planet Earth once more as H.G. Wells's terrifying cosmic invaders blaze a path of fiery destruction across Victorian England, leaving thousands of undead in their wake. Our adventurous narrator must survive the apocalyptic alien threat while fighting off raging, bloodthirsty zombies. Who will triumph when man, Martian
Jill
Aug 03, 2011 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Invaders from the Red Planet come to earth, causing zombies to swarm the planet, thus threatening all of mankind instead of just Great Britain.

***
The possibility of life on other planets has been written about in many genres, especially science fiction. Author Eric S. Brown’s fascination with zombies has led him to modify H.G. Wells classic, “War of the Worlds”. While the Mars invaders in that original novel were limited to Great Britain, here zombies are created worldwide, as particles fallin
Spencer
Feb 17, 2015 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have to admit, I did not expect to like this as much as I did. I've owned my copy of this book for years and put off reading it for all of that time. I decided to pick it up this month since October means Halloween and Halloween means spooky stuff, and what's a cooler combination of spooky stuff than aliens and zombies? There probably isn't one, let's be real.
One of my praises for this book has to be how seamlessly Brown's writing flows in and out of Wells'. Everyone knows that Wells is one of
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
When the fist of these classic books with horror elements added turned up, I didn't think I would bother with any of them. Maybe I convinced myself that what was done was a crime against the long-dead author. Then this book turned up. I couldn't deny that I was curious. That's when I realized that the reason I wasn't interested in the other zombified classics had nothing to do with sensitivity to the original authors' integrity. I simply wasn't interested even in the original book, let alone any ...more
Megster
Dec 18, 2010 Megster rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard zombie fans or monster mashup fans
The original War of the Worlds story is somewhat difficult to wade through just because of the 18th century style of storytelling, which is rather dry and impersonal. Although the action in the book is intriguing, the narration seems detached and unaffected, as if too much time has passed between the events of the story and the time the narrator is telling the story. The zombie action is pretty lame so far. I ended up not finishing the book. It was on loan through work (bookstore) and there were ...more
Tony Mosley
I like how the book puts you in the perspective where you can visualize the story like its a movie. It also shows you in detail how advance earth was in their time and how the outbreak effected it. Plus the novel gives you a feel of how the characters reacted to the conflict and how they are dealing with it.
Rick sullivan
Aug 06, 2012 Rick sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers, fantasy-sf
I was really impressed with this. I had thought that it would likely be campy and silly but I honestly couldn't really tell where Wells left off and Brown started. Not without sitting down with the original. Brown worked the zombies very well into the original plot and did it in a logical manner. A very, very good read. Wells fan of "War of the Worlds" won't be disappointed.
Tessie
Oct 10, 2012 Tessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining book. I enjoyed it. I loved the original book so when I saw this in the store I had to see what it was like. It kept me entertained and was a fast paced book. Good read for Halloween time of the year. I like the subtle message that we should learn to live for the moment because you never know what the future may bring!
Regina
Jun 23, 2011 Regina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this was alright but I really don't feel that the author added much at all... I would recommend just reading the original War of the Worlds and don't bother with this one... shame really as I did enjoy Pride, Prejudice, & Zombies...
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 Tim Dunn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
90% War of the Worlds, 10% Zombies added, not really that great. I loved War of the Worlds, so it's hard to knock that part, but very light on anything actually added to the story. Not worth the time to read it, just read the original and imagine the rest and save yourself time and money.
John
Feb 04, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1fiction, box8
Interesting take on H G Wells, just OK not great. But entertaining.
Nancy
Nov 14, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-suspense
I was pleasantly surprised that
I remembered as much as I did
of the original. And the introduction
of the zombies worked really well.
Rachel
Ponderous and depressing. I struggled to finish it.
Terri Luer
Mar 29, 2011 Terri Luer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's as if zombies should have always been present in The War of the Worlds.
Samori705
Too complicated. The language was from a different time period
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2009
Tabitha Chapman
Tabitha Chapman rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Brentnikov
Brentnikov rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Dada Knightwalker
Dada Knightwalker rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2013
Lucinda
Lucinda rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Ydnim
Ydnim rated it it was ok
May 27, 2014
Julia Rubio
Julia Rubio rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Robin Lee
Robin Lee rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
Tolerance Pain
Tolerance Pain rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it did not like it
May 16, 2010
Details Outdated 1 4 Feb 16, 2011 03:02PM
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • New Zed Order: Survive
More about Eric S. Brown...