Start by marking “Eight Lives Down: The Most Dangerous Job in the World in the Most Dangerous Place in the World” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Visceral and compelling, Eight Lives Down is the most exciting and nerve-jangling work of military non-fiction since Bravo Two Zero.

If fate is against me and I’m killed, so be it, but make it quick and painless. If I’m wounded, don’t let me be crippled. But above all, don’t let me fuck up the task.

So goes the bomb technician’s prayer before every bomb he defuses. For Chris
Published May 19th 2009 by Delta (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Lives Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Lives Down

Terri
I am torn between 2 stars and 3 for this book. My personal opinion of the book is that it is a 2 star book, and yet I hate giving only 2 stars to a Veteran's memoir. For a while I thought that surely he deserves an extra star for writing about his war experience? But I decided that it is a book and I am a reader and I am reviewing the book and the author, not the person.
I have to be honest about the book and the writer. I have to put aside my respect for Chris Hunter as a returned serviceman an
Mike
”Jock, I’ve just been fucking shot.”

“You should know bloody better, shouldn’t you, you wanker,” Will says.

“Don’t tell me—if I’m looking for sympathy, I’ll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.”

He grins. “At least the brain still works…”

If this type of repartee, along with big gunfights, tense bomb defusing scenes, ambushes, and explosions are your kind of thing, then you will like Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq, a 4-Star rid
Jonathan
An honest memoir by a British Bomb Disposal squad leader. Its not all pretty, nor is it all horrible. Chris does a great job of conveying the give and take of the job, the moments of sheer excitement, absurdity, danger, boredom, and touching moments. The author and his team were called out to 48 disposals in 2 months time before he got promoted and put to a desk job to try and take the bomber cells out.

Whats also interesting is the natural drama of life he chose to include throughout the book,
Stephen Phillips
In the current global war, improvised explosive devices have emerged as the terrorists’ weapon of choice. Like the acronyms “scuba” and “radar,” “IED” is now recognized with an entry in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. “EOD,” or explosive ordnance disposal, is not as well known. Through his memoir, Eight Lives Down, Chris Hunter does his part to shed light on this harrowing field of expertise.

In 2004, Hunter served as an EOD Technician (the British term is “Ammunition Technical Officer”) spearhea
Jay
A gripping, terrifying, frustrating, and occasionally funny account of the author's stint in southern Iraq as the chief bomb disposal expert. Hunter's job was to identify and neutralize enemy IEDs, which became increasingly sophisticated and dangerous during his tour of duty; yet he was so successful not only at removing the devices, but also in helping to identify their makers, that his Islamist adversaries put a bounty on his head and planted some devices in order to try to kill him personally ...more
Marley
you'd think it'd be interesting but it really wasn't. The tedium and pointlessness of war came across though: bad people set up bombs, good people dismantle them. Or the bombs explode and people get killed. There are really only the 2 outcomes. It's like a game and the point is for insurgents to give the bomb-dismantlers something dangerous and technical and scary to do. They even watch from the sidelines as people go in to dispose of explosives. But! sometimes bombs are extra tricky with second ...more
Shira Karp
This book was very interesting. A unique insight into what's going on in Iraq. To be honest, when I picked up this book, I was under the impression it was a memoir of a U.S. soldier on the bomb disoposal unit in Iraq, so I was a bit surprised at first when the language was so... British. Obviously it's the memoir of a soldier in the British army, which made it even more interesting, to see more clearly THEIR involvement in this conflict.

At times this book got a bit too technical for me- warning
Gwen Burrow
Discovered this book while searching for realistic descriptions of bomb explosions, and I wasn't satisfied with "earsplitting roar" and "big mushroom cloud" and "the earth shook." Anyone can say that. I wanted better words from someone who actually knew what they were talking about. Major Chris Hunter does. He isn't just a crazy talented bomb tech (okay, technically, EOD operator), he's also an impressive writer with strikingly vivid prose that puts you right there with him--beside the bomb, in ...more
Mark Monsma
This is one heck of a good book! As the summary describes, it is a thriller tabt compels you to keep reading. Your heart is pounding as you imagine yourself in place of bomb technician defusing an IED in Iraq. What makes this book special, in my opinion, is that it is not written from the perspective of the US military (which 90% of the recent military conflicts are). It is written by a British technician. This is a definite read for law enforcement personnel and military history gurus. Two thum ...more
Terri
I loved this book my son served in Iraq in the Army, so I would read for a while then put it down and go back to it. It is a great read for anyone who would like to get a true feeling for what our troops do for us everyday they serve over there! I could see my son in the twelve step program for leaving the Army. I think my son talked about each step in some form while he was in the Army.
Tasha
An interesting read. This guy is a daredevil who knows his s%#*t about defusing some scary stuff, not afraid to confront some dangerous things.. I enjoyed the story, felt my heart racing in places, laughed at his sense of humor and loved the slang used throughout. The writing just didn't grip me like a 4 star read would but it was an interesting read nonetheless. 3.5 stars.
Mike
I think this is probably the most action-packed book I've ever read. It doesn't really read as a story, just 515 pages of the day-to-day life of a bomb disposal technician in Iraq. I couldn't put it down though, read it in two days, which is astonishingly fast for me. Lots of explosions, shouting, swearing and descriptions of bits being blown off people. A proper boy book :)
Elizabeth
Chris Hunter is an expert at dismantling bombs for the British Army. He has served tours in Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Iraq. This memoir focuses on the most recent war in Iraq. His writing leans towards the technical side, but thankfully there is a glossary available. I think this wasn't emotional and therefore lacked a certain dimension for me.
Rob
Aug 31, 2009 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that like military fiction
From the angle of this being a story it failed, not much depth and fairly repetative. However the fact that the majority, if not all of it is true - based on the experiences of the author - this really entertained and informed me more than the usual military fiction, with a facinating insight into the world of bomb disposal.
Tin Wee
Good paced memoir of an operator in charge of bomb disposal in Basra, Iraq. It brings to fore the emotion and uncertainty in attending to every job, interspersed with (short) episodes of his own emotional helplessness at how his family was falling apart while he was in a war zone.
Marcia
Chris Hunter is an excellent writer. His prose flows, he captures the moment and really makes you understand what it might be like to be a bomb-disposal operator in Iraq. I saw the movie The Hurt Locker before I read the book. Great movie...great book.
Iain
Superb. It has the potential to be repetitive, but manages not to be. Part memoir, part war story, part thriller and a bit of a detective and spy story thrown in as well.

A very honest perspective of a very unenviable job. Well worth a read.
Katy
Between the British slang and the army acronyms and slang, I sometimes felt like I was reading a foreign language. I think kids would be disappointed at the lack of mention of U.S. forces. Not young adult in my opinion.
P.A. DePaul
Excellent book by Chris Hunter. As an American, I will admit that I found some of the slang hard to decipher but I got the point overall. I'm amazed and thankful for what this man and his team faced daily.
Carissa

Great book! It was a slower read than I'm used to, but definitely worth the effort. It provided powerful insight into what our troops(and the troops of all nations present in Iraq) are facing.
Dave
This guy and his team did the toughest job in the world. Bomb disposaland neutralization of IEDs for the British Army. He was so effective, Al Queda put a $50,000 reward on his head.
Jessica
Surprisingly, I bought this book for $1.00. It is an amazing memoir and gives the reader an inside look at theWar on Terror, and the soldiers constant battles.
Barry
While enjoyable overall, the author's ego was distracting. Did he really think he was the biggest target in Iraq at that time? Or that he was the best EOD operator?
Nicholas Poon
"I'm eight lives down, so i'm not going to waste my last." Chris Hunter
Damn good book! Insightful to the life of an EOD soldier and the turmoils military men face.
Gregory
An engaging, exciting, sometimes appalling modern war memoir. Realistic and convincing. I tip my hat to Hunter and his ilk. Brave souls, all.
Kinderplatz
Gripping memoir of a British Army officer tasked with heading the bomb disposal operations around Basra after the invasion of Iraq.
Jonathan
Scary look at the war in Iraq from a British bomb disposal tech. A good read, about the war, from a man on the ground.
Stephen
A very good read from a British perspective working in Basra at the same time I was in Tikrit. Fascinating.
Jansen Wee
Good stuff. Especially for all EOD guys ..... past and present. And maybe wannabes.
Stephen
This is a great book, and gives you an inside view of the EOD here in Iraq!
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Apache. Ed Macy
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • 3 Para
  • Apache Dawn
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • In The Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat In Iraq
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Land Of Fire
  • Seven Troop
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
Chris Hunter is the author of Eight Lives Down, a riveting first-person account of a high-threat bomb disposal tour – the world’s most dangerous job in the world’s most dangerous place.

He joined the British Army in 1989 at the age of sixteen. He was commissioned from Sandhurst at twenty-one and later qualified as a counter terrorist bomb disposal operator. He served with a number of specialist co
More about Chris Hunter...
Extreme Risk BIKEEXIF Custom Motorcycles Calendar Ocean Shore Railroad (Images of Rail: California) Vantastic: A Pictorial History of Caravans in New Zealand Eyes