Start by marking “Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture” as Want to Read:
Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,301 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Published November 5th 2002 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

The  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenClean Code by Robert C. MartinCode Complete by Steve McConnellDesign Patterns by Erich Gamma
software-development
10th out of 54 books — 47 voters
The  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntDesign Patterns by Erich GammaRefactoring by Martin FowlerStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson
Essential Programming Books
44th out of 108 books — 234 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
In comparison to other patterns books that I have read, Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture is one of the weaker ones. I'm afraid that many of the patterns described are now out of date or anti-patterns. The book is now 12 years old and the technology field is a different place.

Many of the patterns in the book focus on dealing with relational databases or non-distributed systems. Relational databases still play a large role in many enterprise applications, but this material either pr...more
Matt
I think this is a great book. Most developers should have it on hand as a reference. I say that in spite of the fact that I'm seriously annoyed by patterns fashionistas and Fowler fanatics.

This is not a collection of esoteric design patterns or capital-A architectures. This is a collection of tricks, schticks, and small-A architectures that just tend to show up repeatedly in the wild. Martin Fowler, with his perspective as an idea man and his position as a consultant and thought leader, has obse...more
Joecolelife
Jun 12, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
I've had this book on my wishlist for over 2 months. It's one of those things where I wait and see if I can afford it later, and then later turns into 2 months later. Let me tell you that I feel ridiculously foolish for leaving this on my wishlist for more than the time it takes to ship. If your job is in any way related to software development, you need to read this book NOW.

Surprisingly I already knew a lot about what was in this volume, but in hindsight, it was an incomplete jigsaw puzzle wi...more
Matteo Tomasulo
This book shows its time by now. A lot of this patterns are well implemented inside the most common frameworks or even provided as core language feature which allow you to solve that problem in clearer way.

But the main advantage of the PEAA I think is: terminology. Give the right name to the right things is one of the most common problem in software design specially in new formed teams without great experience.
And this book, even though its age, still helps in this.

edit:
After some time I noticed...more
Brian
Another one for us techies...

First off, I don't think you can go wrong with Fowler. I know that many will argue with me on that statement, but at least he gets you thinking and defending the points on which you disagree.

This patterns book is a must have on your shelf as well. Great thing this hard back has a built in bookmark because it is heavily used. This isn't a great read from cover to cover, but it is a wonderful reference book. Anytime that I try to design a new architecture, this book co...more
Daniel
I re-read this because back then, I only skimmed it, and I thought some of the content might still be relevant today. Unfortunately, this book has not aged very well. Most of the patterns are hardly useful at all in 2014, or even anti-patterns by now.
Andrew Dalgleish
As programming books go, this one is overly boring, and is really meant as a reference. The patterns are important however, and many systems have been implemented with them in mind. The author is very big into Java and Enterprise Architecture and you'll be a bit lost if you're not in those spheres of thinking.
You pick it up when you have to implement something or understand a system that follows the patterns contained within. Each pattern is annotated with references to other patterns so its eas...more
Arjay

The practice of enterprise application development has benefited from the emergence of many new enabling technologies. Multi-tiered object-oriented platforms, such as Java and .NET, have become commonplace. These new tools and technologies are capable of building powerful applications, but they are not easily implemented. Common failures in enterprise applications often occur because their developers do not understand the architectural lessons that experienced object developers have learned.

Patt

Josh Readmore
An extremely influential book - unfortunately, going Domain Model for all data access has turned out to be a monumental failure. But it was a good try - and all of the patterns in this book are common and legit.
Christian Rondeau
This was my entry point in the software architecture field, which made me realise there's much more to software than code.
Reggie
This is a solid book. It wasn't as useful to me as I had hoped, but I'd still recommend it as a good resource.
André Gomes

A must read for software folks.
Russell
From the Back Cover

Ben Rand
I wish that I had stumbled on the notion of software design patterns much earlier in my programming career. I'm not sure I would have understood any of it back then. This was still a bit much...but it was interesting to recognize how some of these patterns manifest themselves in Rails, or EntityFramework, or any other number of relevant technologies.

By chance, I just picked up Professional ASP.NET Design Patterns. I started into it yesterday, as I was finishing this book. This second book builds...more
Mike
Excellent text on software patterns; most of these patterns will apply to architectures that arise in "putting something on the web". This book operates on a level above syntax or how-to's. It not a coding guide, or a cookbook. It does not explain HTML or CSS or XML.

If you have got to the point in your practice where you spend more time than you should deciphering past decisions and parsing ad-hoc piles of reactionary syntax this book will probably help.

Don't read this unless you are a developer...more
Russ
Good layout of the patterns which are clearly explained, including the motivation behind them, and examples of their use.
Yuriy Chulovskyy
Aug 27, 2014 Yuriy Chulovskyy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Software developers
I like how Martin Fowler explains complex stuff in a simple way.
It's old book but you must read it to see simple principles behind many frameworks you use.
Jorge
If you develop enterprise software, you should have this book in your shelf. One of the best books you can buy

Maximus
Good overview of practical methods. Only read the ideas, not the sample code
Leonardo Neves
A great reference for developers and software architects.
Dave Peticolas

Just what the title says and good to boot.

Miloš Milivojević
Although many of the described patterns are either deprecated or already implemented in most popular enterprise frameworks, it was still very thought-provoking and educational to read about the motivations for their use and ways to implement them - after all, every worthwhile computer science curriculum teaches us how to implement linked lists and a whole other range of data structures that already come out of the box with most languages. Similarly, after reading it cover to cover I tend to cons...more
Michael Korbakov
That book has been great in 2002, but decade later it's not. Too many things are common knowledge, some described patterns know seen as anti-patterns and so on. It takes quite a bit of experience to separate the wheat from the chaff.
However while not great, this book is still useful. It puts right questions, makes reader think about different assumptions behind design decisions and at the very least establish sort of "lingua latina" for speaking about enterprise applications.
Joe
This is the definitive reference on patterns in application development. The Gang of Four book is a classic reference on patterns, but the patterns there are lower level. And they are useful, but never had as much of an impact as this book. When reading this book, I immediately recognized many of the patterns and really value having a vocabulary to talk about application design decisions. This is a must read book for advanced application developers and architects.
Gyuri
The book contains lots of important patterns. Most of them are well known already, so one who worked/works on enterprise patterns already had to meet several of these. As I see systems built around functional programming more promising, I find lots of the pattern in that book kind of outdated. Certainly "Patterns of Enterprise Application" is a classic in its category, but I see this is not going to be evergreen.
Rich Dammkoehler
Sep 29, 2013 Rich Dammkoehler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Software Engineers, Software Developers
Shelves: technical
This is a must read for anyone who wants to move beyond simple applications development. The patterns describe in this book will give you the language you need to think about and discuss enterprise systems. Even if you never apply a single one of the patterns, the fundamental change in your view of enterprise systems is invaluable.
Nagy
Great book. It is kept at my desk whenever I need it. Still there will be patterns that will be outdated by the appearance of newer technologies. But still a very deep read. The author took it very seriously the writing. There are many theoretical and practical research behind it. I would say this book is a classical.
Alan Fay
This text is a very clear, modern reference for enterprise patterns. As with Design Patterns, my only complaint is that the (complete) source code be limited or just put online (it becomes dated). Other than that, there's definitely more exposition and more advice on when and where to apply each pattern.
Devon Mcbride
He's easy to read. Presents lots of nice design patterns. Uses jargon like 'domain driven design' to re-work basic old principals of design patterns and suchlike. Excellent stuff, though. Lots of real-world insight and superb discussions of implementing patterns to solve common problems.
Scott
Martin Fowler has been a great resource for many developers and this book is no exception. If a developer can take a pattern (best practices) and use it for his/her own design, those developers will surely have more confidence in the application being delivered. This is the idea behind this book.
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • SmallTalk Best Practice Patterns
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • The Productive Programmer
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code UML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language Domain-Specific Languages Analysis Patterns: Reusable Object Models UML Distilled: Applying the Standard Object Modeling Language