Start by marking “The Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Reckoning

The Reckoning

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Enter the territory of Jeff Long, where the unknown is deeply present, death is a constant shadow, and the human spirit is our final hope. Now comes The Reckoning, another superbly original thriller -- a story of predation, betrayal, and resurrection that is at once intricate, haunting, and terrifying.
Armed with only a camera and iron determination, thirty-year-old photo
Published July 6th 2004 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reckoning

Pilvi
When I borrowed this book from the library, I thought it was some sort of crime book. At least a war crime book. Instead, it was more of a mystery book. It was a story of history, love, finding who you are etc. It caught me by surprise because of the genre, but also with how much I liked it. I really enjoyed the story. I usually don't like books where the author leaves too much for the reader to decide and cipher out, but this one was enjoyable. There were many odd things that you had to think o ...more
Nancy Oakes
First of all, I recommend this book to any reader of horror that wants something beyond what you can find at the grocery store. There aren't a whole lot of answers here, but this one of of the creepiest ghost stories I've ever read. It is a very cerebral type of horror novel rather -- not like most of what is on the horror shelves these days.

In the acknowledgments section of his book, the author begins by saying "The Reckoning takes history for its haunted house." And indeed it does.

The story b
Jeff
Julie Kellner
What a load of garbage if I could give this book no stars I would. A complete load of crap
Traummachine
Unlike the wonderful darkness and action of The Descent (truly a tour de force), this novel has an odd, dreamy quality to it that suits it very well. The book is confusing and surreal, but in a very good way. I related to the characters as they felt lost, disjointed, and confused, and the fact that it's intentional makes it a great ride. Not as good as The Descent, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

It was reminiscent of Charles Grant, the master of this kind of dreamy, surreal horror
Maryann
I think Jeff Long is a good thriller author- his books are never too long and usually present an interesting premise with a good amount of twists and turns. This one, however... may have missed the mark a little.

Molly is a journalist recently arrived in Cambodia, taking a chance on a story about recovering an American soldier's remains. She hopes this story will be her big break. She meets Duncan, an expert on ancient Cambodian history and culture and who has participated in many digs, and Keat
Rocci Doria
The Reckoning is kind of a weird, modern day Vietnam-related fever dream. It has trouble getting started, picks up through the middle and free-falls through the ending, which, hard as it tries to be a twist, just weakens the whole story. The untwisted plot revolves around people searching out the bones of MIAs for retrieval to the homeland, a gruesome and grueling task that they know they'll never fully complete. This particular group is unsanctioned and comprised of temporarily semi-aligning in ...more
Toni Boughton
Another great Jeff Long book. His writing can be dream-like, and never more so than in this fantastic tale of those that got left behind in the wars we fight.
Ben
Interesting Vietnam-centric ghost story. I love the way Long imagines the color green in this Ankor Wat-like setting.
what a fabulous book! I have a new author to follow! :) can't wait to read more by this one!
Amy
Wow. Just can't get into this at all...and I read Twilight for crying out loud! Ha. I actually liked Twilight cause I'm a nerd...maybe that's the problem? Probably.
Sigh Lean
I have read this book when I was in college, 7 years ago and as a young person from a generation that has only heard stories about war and its effects I have come to really like this story. Even though it's fiction, it's one that I wasn't able to put down, I had to finish it otherwise I was at a great loss to not finish it the same day I started it. Now years have gone and my point of view about things have broadened but this book still amazes me. Certainly a one in a million read. Kudus to the ...more
Misty
Poorly written crap, but pre-teens or even some teens might like it. The story could have been good if someone else wrote it that had the ability or desire to take the time to write it well. There were a lot of "what??" kind of moments in the little things such as what was supposed to be foreshadowing, conclusions characters made, ways they reacted, etc. Overall it felt rushed and amateur, and the writer seems to lack a basic understanding of the human psych.
Rusty
*Mild Spoiler Alert*

I enjoyed Long's "Year Zero" and "The Descent", so I was excited to pick this up.

The sci-fi/adventure'ish elements in here are very good. I could have done without the odd character traits of the female lead and particularly the plant rape scene. These seemed to be strangely fetishistic moments stuck in the middle of a story that they had nothing to do with.
Eija
Kirjoitustyyli miellyttävä, hiukan arvoituksellinen. Hyvä tarina, johon tuli vahvasti mukanaolon tuntu - pystyi hyvinkin kuvittelemaan Kambodzan viidakon tapahtumat kadonneine kaupunkeineen ja kummituksineen. Mukana sopiva ripaus romantiikkaa, joka piristi tarinaa tekemättä siitä imelää.
Tiffani
Oct 09, 2008 Tiffani rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller/Horror fans
If you enjoyed The Ruins, you might enjoy this one even more. The plot is faster paced and more robust. There's also a bit of Stephen King horror of the unknown happening. A page turner to the end. Left me feeling still just a bit confused, but I really enjoyed the book.
Ratforce
The Reckoning by Jeff Long is part ghost story (similar to Stephen King) and part suspenseful adventure (similar to Dean Koontz). If you enjoy Long’s writing style, The Descent, Deeper and Year Zero are also fantastic reads.
Jessica
The jungle imagery and mythical elements are very well-done, but the final revelations are a bit obvious and the author's attempts to add spice to the female lead come off more weird than attractive.
Alexis
I'm not sure if it's because I flew through this book... But I didn't get the ending. Let down. But then again I didn't really connect with this book in the first place.
Sandy
I really like Long's books but I didn't care for this book. It had a pretty generic, Indiana Jones plot to it and not much of interest going on it. It seemed forced.
Cynthia
Decent read. Killed a few hours of not having to sit and watch my husband play some lame PlayStation game for hours..and hours..and hours..

was good until the resolution/conclusion/last few chapters. that's disappointing in the extreme.
George
This was the first Jeff Long book I read. It was one of my top picks of the year! A must read!
Eugenia O'Neal
This was a very different kind of ghost story and set in a very unusual locale. I liked it!
Eric
Book can be a bit confusing in places and the ending leads you to believe: "what just happened?"
Melissa
This really was not Jeff Long's best book, it wasn't exciting at all, just odd.
Vickie
Good ghost story. Not as good as his other books I've read, but good.
Greta Boris
It was dark and upsetting and well done like all Long's books.
KeAnne
Ghost story meets thriller. Interesting and lyrical.
Billy K
English books were a little scarce in Korea...don't read it
Jeff Long...where is he? 1 4 Feb 20, 2014 10:06AM
  • Sacrifice
  • The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain: A Neurologist's Search for the God Experience
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.: A Novel
  • The Monster: How a Gang of Predatory Lenders and Wall Street Bankers Fleeced America--and Spawned a Global Crisis
  • A Room For The Dead
  • Shadow Season
  • Tap,Tap
  • Hide and Seek
  • Devils & Demons: A Treasury of Fiendish Tales Old & New
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
  • Nazareth Hill
  • Murder in the High Himalaya: Loyalty, Tragedy and Escape from Tibet
  • In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam
  • Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)
  • Todo bajo el cielo
  • Jia
  • A Twisted Ladder
  • Shiver And Spice (Harlequin Blaze #349)
The Descent Year Zero Deeper: A Thriller The Wall The Ascent