Before the Storm

Before the Storm (Before The Storm #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  5,383 ratings  ·  409 reviews
Fifteen-year-old Andy Lockwood is special.

Others notice the way he blurts out anything that comes into his mind, how he cannot foresee consequences, that he's more child than teenager. But his mother sees a boy with a heart as open and wide as the ocean.

Laurel Lockwood lost her son once through neglect. She's spent the rest of her life determined to make up for her mistake...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published June 1st 2007)

Julie (jjmachshev)
Should you measure your life by the mistakes you’ve made? Or whether or not you let those mistakes define your life? “Before the Storm” by Diane Chamberlain is a gut-wrenching tale of mistakes, forgiveness, and endurance. This story made me cry. No, not just cry, but sob. This is NOT a happily ever after tale. This is a getting through and learning to live with what life throws at you tale. There’s so much more that you’ll just have to read the book to understand, but I’ll do my best to give you...more
Kelly Moran
I found Before the Storm, by Diane Chamberlain, enchanting. Diane Chamberlain is an award-winning author of seventeen novels. She resides in North Carolina.
Laurel Lockwood, due to post-partum depression and alcoholism, lost her son to the system. Returned at a year old, Laurel spent the rest of her life making up for her mistakes and being the best mom she could be to them. Her son, Andy has special needs and she hesitated to let him go to the church lock-in social. The church that night is cons...more
Jodee
Aug 12, 2008 Jodee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Extended family members of persons with FASD
Recommended to Jodee by: Diane Chamberlain
I stepped into the pages of Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain as my daughter born with fetal alcohol and adopted after the death of her birth mother was spiraling into the the abyss of mental health commitments and early adult transitioning challenges. Andy, born exposed prenatally to alcohol, captured my heart and as I watched my daughter toss and tumble into the realm of social services I found myself laying the book down for a moment to catch my breath and breath deeper to understand Laur...more
Carol
This is my 5th Diane Chamberlain novel, and like all the rest, once I begin, it is very difficult to stop; the chapters just seem to fly by. Sometimes I do feel there is a predictability to her stories, but then a big surprise reveals itself that I did not see coming which is also true in Before the Storm.

Loved it!

Noeleen
I really enjoyed this book, interesting characters, engaging plot and well written. I loved that it was told from different character perspectives, Andy's chapters were definitely my favourite and they were so well written for his character. There were some good twists and turns that I didn't expect. Overall a very good read.
April
Recently called the "Southern Jodi Picoult," Diane Chamberlain is an author you must read. This book is the first I've read from her, and definatley not the last. Surprises, twists, in depth character development, truely a gifted writer. This book is a quick easy read, great for the beach or vacations or just about anywhere. Let me know what you think.
Kathy
Jul 02, 2008 Kathy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Kathy by: I always read Diane Chamberlain.
Did not like this book or the characters. I have read and enjoyed most of Diane Chamberlain's books but this one fell flat. I have no patience with people wallowing in self pity such as alcoholics. Laurel Lockwood, the main character, was a nurse who should have known that she needed the help that was offered for her depression following the birth of her daughter. Two children were mentally injured by Laurel's poor choices. Maybe the wrong person was sent to jail.
Ronnie
Aug 25, 2008 Ronnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I didn't think i would love this one as much as The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes but I was wrong. Loved it like all the other Diane Chamberlain books I have read and can't wait for After the Storm to come out!
Kathryn Ann
This book was a real page-turner. It is a very easy read and keeps you thinking. There is a great twist at the end.
alicia
This book had so much going on.The main character I didn't think I was going to like and while there was so many upsetting things about the stroyline i really enjoyed the book.A great one one a flawed family.It really pulled at my heart strings and made me want to slap and hug the family at the same time.
Katie O
I enjoyed her most recent book so much (The Secret Life of Cee-Cee Wilkes), that I picked up this other novel that Chamberlain wrote. She has a style really similar to Jodi Piccoult's - definitely keeps your attention through the whole book and develops the different characters well. Great beach reading.
Kerry
This was another great book from Diane Chamberlain...I'm so glad I picked it up. There was never a slow moment in this one. I loved how it was told from all the character's points of view throughout the story. It surprised me at the end even when I thought I had it figured out!
Lisa
Once again, another one by Diane Chamberlain that I could not put down! I loved this book and cannot wait to read After The Storm.
Denise
Very good story, suspense and complex characters. I can not wait for thesequel.
Mary
Aug 20, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I really enjoyed this book. This was the best read so far this summer.
Mom
Wow - things aren't always what they seem....
Minty McBunny
While it was filled with many unlikeable people, I did enjoy this story well enough up until the ending when it all fell apart.

I felt it was implausible, if not downright impossible, to believe that the arsonist would wait as long as they did to confess, given who was accused and how far the repercussions of those accusations were reaching. No decent human being (which we're led to believe the arsonist is) could stand by and watch someone they care about go through the hell the accused was subj...more
Chloe
This is another one of what I call "Chocolate cake books". It's so delicious, I am torn between wanting to devour it all in one bite ... and nibbling small mouthfuls, catching each crumb, to draw out the treat.

Like a lot of Diane Chamberlain's books, this one is told in multiple points of view, and jumps back and forth in time. Unlike others, this type of writing doesn't worry me and this story is easy to follow while it weaves webs of questions and lies. How well do we really know those we love...more
Lin
It took me a couple of attempts to get into this, partly because it sounded similar to a Jodi Picault book and partly because it's written in different voices and at first I found Andy's voice hard to listen to. But I'm glad I persevered, even though the first line of the synopsis of the sequel to this (secrets she left behind) contains a spoiler. This wasn't as many layered as some of this author's books, bu the characters (yes, even Andy in the end) were engaging and interesting, and the plot...more
Robin
I almost always like this author’s books and this was perfect for a day on the Tahoe beach. Chamberlain’s stories always revolve around some kind of intense family relationship issues and this was about a mother who suspects her autistic son may have set a church fire so that he could save lives and be a hero. This kept me reading and the ending was a surprise. I didn’t like it quite as well as her other books (KEEPER OF THE LIGHT and THE BAY AT MIDNIGHT are two favorites) but try this for a qui...more
Jeanne
I'm not sure how to review this book. I have been a fan of Diane Chamberlain and have read all of her books. Her characters are not always likable, and most deal with some phobia or emotional problem. I understand that this is not supposed to be a feel-good book, and that it is a story of surviving one's mistakes. The book has a good deal to do with empathy, and I just failed to empathize with these characters. Perhaps Ms. Chamberlain's earlier books set the standard too high.
Suz
Every time I buy a book by Diane Chamberlain I expect it will be entertaining. This book was no exception. Ms. Chamberlain writes characters who could be my neighbors. I feel as though they live near me and I know who they are. I try to imagine who I would cast as the characters if a movie was to be made of the book.

A great escape, to live in the pages of a story filled with love, suspense and hope.
Jan
After reading "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes" I added Chamberlain's name to my list of authors to read and I'm not sorry I picked up "Before the Storm". A complex, skillfully written story is told from the prospective of the main characters involved in the life of Andy Lockwood, a fetal alcohol baby, his mother, Laurel, sister, Maggie, and Uncle Marcus and you wind up not knowing who to feel the sorriest for.
Tasha
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would!! I have read a few Diane Chamberlain books and have NEVER been disappointed, but this so far is my favorite!! It is definitely what I would consider a page turner since I read it in 2 days. I love the "empathy" them throughout the book, the story kept you wanting more, and I felt like I knew the characters. It's all I want in a book and more!!
Carole
I accidentally read the sequel to this novel first (Secrets She Left Behind), but even though I knew what ultimately happened, I still really enjoyed learning the backstory and getting to know each of the characters on a deeper level. Diane Chamberlain keeps me riveted and I think it's because I come to know and care very deeply for her characters. I cannot put her books down!
Florence Csage
What a great book! The main character, Andy, suffers from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. The reader can't help falling in love with him. He is a teenager but childlike. There is a fire and Andy becomes the hero when he leads the kids safely out. While basking in the limelight, the tide turns and he becomes a suspect for arson. I couldn't put this book down--very compelling.
Leslie
I went to buy The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes on Valerie's recommendation, but B&N was out so I bought this one instead. I've only read one chapter but think I will enjoy it. I plan on reading most of the night! OK, read it and loved it. They are right when they say Chamberlain is the southern Jodi Picoult (my very favorite author!)
Nancy
A teenage boy with learning issues from fetal alcohol syndrome is hailed a hero after rescuing a large number of teenagers from a fire at a "lock in". Then, questions come up as to how the fire started. An easy read with an interesting story told from many points of view.
Denise
Aug 25, 2008 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jodi Picoult and Cathy Kelly fans, among others
Recommended to Denise by: Readers at Diane Chamberlain's blog www.DianeChamberlain.com
Excellent book! Typical (but wonderful) Diane Chamberlain novel: complex characters, well-woven family relationships, suspense and always lots of great secrets to be revealed in the end. I can't wait until the sequel comes out next year!
Liz Butler
Good story about complex and flawed, yet likable, characters. There are a few twists which keep the story interesting. I'm looking forward to diving into it's sequel next where she will hopefully further develop some of the characters.
  • The Good Sister
  • After You
  • Mothers and Other Liars
  • The Lost Hours
  • What Happened to Hannah
I'm the author of 23 novels published in more than twenty languages. I like to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and sisters, and friends. Although the thematic focus of my books often revolves around family, love, compassion and forgiveness, my stories usually feature a combination of suspense, mystery and intrigue.

I live in North Car...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes The Midwife's Confession Necessary Lies The Good Father The Lies We Told