Start by marking “Chanel And Her World” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Chanel And Her World

Edmonde Charles-Roux

Chanel And Her World

Biography "bursting with the secrets" that Coco Chanel fought to keep hidden. A definitive history with 48 pages of photographs.
Published October 29th 1981 by Weidenfeld Nicolson Illustrated (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Chanel And Her World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chanel And Her World

Jonathan Peto
I know nothing about fashion and have never had much interest in it, but my mind has opened on the topic lately, not just because of Prince’s death. I had dinner a few years ago with a visiting author, Sandra Cisneros, who noted that Japanese men are more fashion conscious, in general, than American men. After that, I noticed her attention to clothes and cloth in Caramelo and that was interesting. So perhaps that was a seed.

I have not read a biography in quite a long time, and the author of this
Brittany
Feb 18, 2017 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even get past Gabrielle's childhood. The author makes so many assumptions and assertions with little to no evidence. It reads like a bad fiction novel. There are much MUCH better Chanel biographies out there to read.
Catherine
I had such a hard time reading this book. I absolutely hate giving up on books, but I just couldn't keep reading this anymore. In the book's defense, I was reading an older copy, I believe a first edition, and since then it could have been re-translated. It's not that I couldn't understand the writing, but it just seemed so odd to read. I literally fell asleep every time I started to read this - and I can honestly say that I NEVER do that.

I'm most definitely going to pick this up again at some
Simone Collins
An absolutely beautiful photo biography. I'm really coming to realize that history's famous people owe so much of their success to the company they kept. I mean, Chanel knew SO MANY influential artists and figures in society, and they inspired her, helped her, connected her to still more people... it makes me actually feel slightly bad about being so reclusive.

One thing though... this book makes me want to do so much more research! The text is kind of like a director's commentary for a movie th
Amanda
Jan 21, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I was so excited to read this book! I'm afraid the writing style really put me off. There were many vague hints at the future and half finished thoughts that I found to be irritating, because I had no previous knowledge of Chanel's life. I kept thinking I had missed something, when actually the author was mentioning something that hadn't happened yet. There are distracting ellipses on nearly every page. I'm also reading an edition not listed on goodreads (UK?) which only has a few photos. It ...more
Chiara Deathsy
May 14, 2011 Chiara Deathsy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author tells more about the "Zeitgeist" of the time, in which Coco Chanel lived and acted, than about Chanel itself. Some of the passages in the book tell too much about some side-characters in the life of Gabrielle. The writing style is laboured and exhausting at the same time. I was expecting a biography focused on Chanel, and I didn't get it.
Lisa
Feb 03, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my husband's best Christmas gifts to me. I couldn't wait to get started. I was extremely interested in the life of this amazing designer and entrepreneur, and this book does not disappoint. I knew about Chanel's courage to blaze all sorts of trails for women in fashion and in the world of business in general, but I did not know how many times she reinvented fashion. And I was not aware of how many of the luminaries of the arts world were her close friends. What a charmed life she ...more
₵oincidental   Ðandy
Having read reviews for this book - other authors have indicated it to be the definitive biography on Mlle. Chanel - I delved into it with high expectations. While the context is incontrovertibly good, I found the narrative to be florid throughout much of it (although, it must be admitted, there are parts that are beautifully written & poignantly expressed). The copy I own is from (A. Knopf) 1975; I am not sure if the more recent editions are exactly the same or if the text has been updated ...more
Michelle Bird
Feb 20, 2010 Michelle Bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first "visual history" that I've ever read... I'm not usually one for picture books :). To be truthful, there was some text linking the pictures together, but Chanel's history (closely mirrored by the French history of her time) is told primarily through photographs. I found it interesting, compelling, and reminiscent of flipping through a box of old photos. The book fulfilled my current penchant for French style, particularly that of Chanel. She had her faults, but she was an uncomp ...more
Terri
Lots of wonderful pictures in the book. The best part. And a lot about history, the times and the people in Chanel's life. I was disappointed to see so little about Boy Capel since he was so important to her. It seemed like she remained elusive because it was more about who was around her than who she was.
Krisztina KT
Jul 29, 2009 Krisztina KT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its fantastic. Much more detailed then the film Coco avant Chanel, which was actually based on this book. Im really enjoying it. She had an incredible life, she is an inspiration to me :o) I love Chanel.
Dana Stabenow
More about the time Chanel lived in than about her art, and the author makes no attempt to hide an uncritical adoration for his subject. Interesting, though, and it certainly illustrates Chanel in context. I enjoyed paging through it.
Audrey
Mar 27, 2013 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful book in the life of the grand dame from her early life, relationships, lovers and of course, her magical creations.

This is probably one of the more accurate versions of Gabrielle Chanel out there, according to the Chanel spokesperson.
Deb
Sep 07, 2014 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are better biographies out there on Chanel. This one was only ok,
Barbara
Jan 14, 2015 Tram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Chanel.
Monique
Nov 24, 2012 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love th pics, explanationa of the fashion of that era.
Mette
Feb 23, 2011 Mette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great biography, with facts but also interesting as a novel.
Idelys Laboy
I see is interesting! Idelys Izquierdo Laboy
Karen
Jun 23, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found within the pictures of Frank Ghery's Architecture page for NYC
Claudia Bercaru
May 05, 2016 Claudia Bercaru rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just can't seem to finish this book, it's so boring but good when you want to fall asleep easy and quick. Too bad, as I had high expections coming from Madam Chanel. :-\
Bushra
Nov 07, 2009 Bushra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting.
Emma
Apr 12, 2010 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I haven't read ALL of it - gave up in the second chapter. Sad times.
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion, nonfiction
Devoured this. Thanks Bettina!
Netta
Apr 28, 2010 Netta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. This book was decent. Nothing new and hardly informative though. The rare photograhy, however, was beautiful!!
Kiri
Apr 13, 2010 Kiri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting life but dreadfully translated from the original French. Translator doesn't seem to know English idioms.
Danielle
Dec 25, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A really fascinating biography - beautifully written.
Monique
Jun 12, 2011 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
j'adore this book! :)
Teo.nicolae
Mar 08, 2013 Teo.nicolae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read. Loved every single page of it and I absolutely never enjoy biographies.
Maudlin P.
Nov 02, 2016 Maudlin P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was very good to me
Fashion Book Lovers!: Chanel and Her World by Edmonde Charles-Roux 5 28 Aug 31, 2011 11:59AM
  • In Vogue: An Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine
  • Chanel (The Universe of Fashion)
  • Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • Chanel: Collections And Creations
  • Nineteeth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation
  • Dior (Universe of Fashion)
  • The Power of Style
  • Diana Vreeland
  • Vintage Fashion
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Life in Pictures
November 1966, Edmonde Charles-Roux receives the Prix Goncourt for her novel « Oublier Palerme » - 1966 Grasset (« To Forget Palermo » – Delacourt Press, 1968). This prestigious prize brings to the limelight a writer who before had been relatively unknown. Daughter of a French Ambassador, she could have lived out her life as part of the upper-class bourgeoisie, but she chose to follow a far more p ...more
More about Edmonde Charles-Roux...