Start by marking “Cook Yourself Thin: Skinny Meals You Can Make in Minutes” as Want to Read:
Cook Yourself Thin: Skinny Meals You Can Make in Minutes

Cook Yourself Thin: Skinny Meals You Can Make in Minutes

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,248 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Lose weight without losing your mind!

Cook Yourself Thin, a #1 New York Times bestseller, is a healthy, delicious way to drop a dress size without all the gimmicks. Eighty easy, accessible recipes teach readers how to cut calories without compromising taste.

For some of us, losing weight has always been a struggle. The challenge: figuring out how to cook healthy, low-fat foo
Published June 5th 2009 by Hyperion (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cook Yourself Thin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook Yourself Thin

Steven Peterson
The subtitle of this book is "A delicious way to drop a dress size." Well, I confess that I have never worn a dress. So maybe I don't qualify to review this book? However, I think that this is a useful cookbook--whatever your gender!

There are some nice upfront items (some cookbooks have these, while others do not). On pages 41-43, we have a calories guide, so that the reader can get a sense as to which kinds of food are lower calories than others. For instance, among the category "Rice, pasta, a
Ivonne Rovira
Dieting is so, so hard, partly because most diets require one to completely abandon all the foods we hold near and dear. But what if we could skim calories from our favorite comfort dishes or best-loved meals? Wouldn't that make it so much easier?

That's what the three authors of Cook Yourself Thin -- Harry Eastwood, Candice Kumai and Allison Fishman -- have done. No odd tofu-quinoa dishes here; instead, you get slimmed-down versions of eggs Benedict, banana-chocolate chip muffins, smoothies, Fre
Tina
It should be titled, "Cook Yourself Broke" due to quantity of ingredients that almost every dish calls for.
Sara
Cook Yourself Thin was a cookbook that I downloaded on my Nook for a steeply reduced price. I was very excited because I had seen it in Barnes and Noble, but did not go near it because the last thing I needed was another cookbook on my shelf. Since summer is now in session, I will have time to search for healthier ingredients and put time into preparing body-friendly meals.

Reading the philosophy section, I was surprised that they had a quiz for the reader to take about their eating habits. The r
Abby
EDIT on 1/25/10:

I tried making the raspberry/white chocolate chip brownies with butternut squash instead of butter. No one but me would eat them. I think my husband took a tiny bite and had already decided he hated them, and my 3 year old saw raspberris in the middle and declared they were yucky. But my baby ate some! And I thought they were totally acceptable. Not eat the whole pan in one sitting amazing, but acceptable as a substitute. However, the grated squash left the texture (although not
Rohini
I decided to read this book because I'm at a stage where I can't simply eat the things I used to! My metabolism has slowed down (gasp) and I am a real food snob so the recipes and eating plans in this book really tantalize my taste buds. I can't wait to try them to see if they live up to my expectations... especially the chocolate and cranberry biscotti *drool*. Another thing I enjoyed was the beautiful photography. The food styling was impeccable, I wish there were more photos in the ebook vers ...more
One case where the show is better than the book. There isn't anything wrong with the book, but if you read 'Cooking Light' or are interested in healthy cooking at all, you'll know most of this already. They do provide calorie counts, but other nutrition information isn't provided.

On the other hand, these recipes are good and family-friendly, so if you're new to the idea of healthy eating this is a good place to start.
Michele
4.5 stars - I would have given it 5 stars, but the recipe instructions are kind of haphazard so if you don't know what you're doing in the kitchen you might get a little lost.

Otherwise, I thought the information in the intro was very helpful - they give you several ways to just check yourself to find out where you're falling off the calorie wagon and good suggestions to get yourself back on without depriving yourself of foods you love. The little ways to shave off fat and calories would be helpf
Heather
Great recipes that I'm looking forward to trying out!
Melissa Bee
Well the quiz to find out what kind of eater I am was NO Surprise. I'm a comfort food eater. I eat to celebrate, grieve, calm down, etc...... I also love to cook. So I don't have to leave home to create food that is gonna stick to my hips forever.

I understand the game plan of the book: it isn't a diet; it is a lifestyle. Doesn't mean I'm gonna change though. And unless something really surprising happens, I don't see myself eating tofu or giving up vodka martinis/dirty with 3 olives.
Saranne
This is a great cookbook. It says that you can eat the foods you love and still loose weight. All you have to do is make a few changes while you cook these meals. For example: In French Onion soup, instead of cooking cheese throughout the soup, just sprinkle it on top. The meals look easy to cook and really tasty. The book also gives a calorie guide and a list of ingredients that you should always have in your house.
Kristi
I have see this show online and really liked the videos, so I thought the book would be worth purchasing. I was wrong. I did not really find anything above and beyond the show in this book. The recipes are very typical dishes. I will say that the reason it got 3 stars rather than 2 was the fact that it has some helpful skinny alternatives. Save your money and just watch the videos.
Janet Morris
Not only does this book have several appetizing recipes for people looking to lose weight, it also has information on food storage, healthy cooking methods, and portion sizes. It also has sections devoted to what lower calorie foods you can substitute for the high calorie ones. It's not perfect, but compared to similar cookbooks, this one is actually really great.
Lisa
The recipes I've tried have been quite tasty, but the "meals you can make in minutes" statement is misleading. Granted, they don't say how many minutes, but it suggests that the recipes are quick and easy. All the recipes I've tried have a long list of ingredients and are somewhat complex. These are not what I would consider everyday recipes.
Stacey
This is pretty basic stuff. Using healthy Greek yogurt and skim milk to bolster smoothies instead of ice cream; add things like spinach, zucchini and sweet potato to sweets to make them healthier; use lots of fresh herbs for flavor... Whatever. I was kind of disappointed, though I did like the look of the Chocolate Pavlova.
Karlie Nyte
I've not made nearly enough of the recipes in this cookbook, but the one's I have made so far have made the purchase of this cookbook worthwhile. I've never had such wonderful pastas as the ones I've made out of here, and to realize that it is far less fattening than other similar dishes in other cookbooks just adds to the awesomeness!
Valerie Sherman
Has a lot of great ideas, tips, and recipes, and none of it seems too difficult. Almost a third of the book is devoted to information rather than recipes, which makes it easy to apply to all of your cooking. I liked the section on calorie counts for common foods, but I find it difficult to visualize what 3.5 ounces of pasta is.
Amy Saunders
This is the first in the series and the dinners take center-stage. Everything I've tried from this book is delicious: the sausage pizza, the sesame noodles, the carbonara, the buffalo chicken salad. All fabulous. It's amazing how a few changes to the ingredients saves the taste but slashes calories. Genius!
Kesha
The recipes in the book are really easy to make. Even the spinach and mushroom lasagne was quick to make and it tasted very good. In addition to the recipes, the book provides you with a lot of useful information to help with your journey to weight loss.
El
I haven't cooked all the recipes yet but everything I've tried so far is delicious! The dinners are packed with flavor (which makes me wonder if they're really very good for you). Favorites so far are the Mango-Glazed Salmon and Penne alla Not-ka.
Celeste Nicole
I have given this book to many overweight friends to help them learn the most common unhealthy ingredients that can be easily suplemented in basic recipes. This is a must have book for fattys who just don't get it!!!
Pollie
I got this book after watching the show. It is a good book for lighter recipes. But the reductions are huge. Most dessert recipes are involved and take several attempts to get eatable results.
Isabelle
I liked the book for all its tips and advices.. However, I don't think I'll be making lots of the recipes. I prefer recipes with fewer steps and ingredients. Definately not my favorite cookbook.
Eli
These recipes were fresh, inspiring, and delicious. An easy guide to making good, healthy food without giving up flavor. Plus, I got to eat chocolate cakes and red velvet cupcakes!
Christina
we enjoy these fun recipes...I don't care to much for half the book and their methodology. I bought this solely for the recipes and have been very pleased with the results
Angela
I got lots of good ideas from the recipes and picked up some info on new ingredients/seasonings to try. I would actually buy the book if I weren't steering clear of gluten...
P.M.
Was disappointed that this book didn't have more information on healthy substitution for your own favorite recipes. It is basically a recipe book, not a cooking book.
Holly
An excellent book on the "new" way to cook. Not overly calorie cutting so food is still delicious but much healthier than using traditional methods.
Misti
Really enjoyed some of these recipes, although its hardly a comprehensive diet book. The only measure for nutirion is calories...really?
Stacey Raymond

I eat whole foods that are not man altered, enhanced or scientifically altered in any way so these recipes are not helpful to me.
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Skinny Italian: Eat It and Enjoy It - Live La Bella Vita and Look Great, Too!
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
Cook Yourself Thin Faster: Have Your Cake and Eat It Too with Over 75 New Recipes You Can Make in a Flash! Cook Yourself Thin Faster Cook Yourself Thin Faster: Have Your Cake and Eat It Too with Over 75 New Recipes You Can Make in a Flash! Cook Yourself Thin: The Delicious Way to Drop a Dress Size Memories of a Lifetime: How to Collect and Share Your Personal and Family Experience