Start by marking “Elizabeth” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Elizabethan Age was a time of war, passion, and spectacular power. The Virgin Queen battled foes, lovers, and even her own sister, making an indelible mark on her beloved England and the rest of the world. The Golden Age is the sequel to the critically acclaimed 1998 film Elizabeth, which earned seven Academy Award nominations, including one for Best Picture and a Best ...more
Published September 25th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth

Erin
There's nothing too special about this book. I thought it was the novel that the movie was based on. however, it is the novel based on the movie. It reads like a script and moves like a movie. Most of the scenes fall flat without Cate Blanchett performing them. Also, it's almost entirely fictional...as the author herself states. There's just so many better books about Queen Elizabeth.
Brit McCarthy
A word of warning: you need to be careful when representing historic figures – and also when you’re reading them. It is easy to mistake a fictional account of real events for what really happened. But this is only how the author wanted Elizabeth and other figures to appear. While I’m sure she has done her research (I assume so anyway), there is no one alive today who really knows what Elizabeth was thinking or feeling. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when you’re reading this.

Eliz
carnival
Although I enjoy reading stories about queen Elizabeth, it seems that I'm not a fan of books based on a film, because they are more like following a script than an original story. Nevertheless, the main character is created in an interesting and... accurate way.
Diane Smith
Didn't love this book. While moments in it were really good, it was too much like the screenplay in that it jumped from scene to scene quite frequently.
Lori
I had the privilege of meeting Tasha Alexander at a writer's conference in July. She is an incredible writer! She is known for her ability to write dialogue(sp and she incorporates the British dialect so well, which is not easy to do. I enjoyed Tasha's novelization of the movie!
Libby
Wonderful story that make ERI a real person! Loved reading about the people she interacted with - her ministers, her courtiers, her ladies-in-waiting. She is a sad figure in history, something I never thought of before.
chucklesthescot
This was the novel screenplay of the film and it was ok to read but not exactly a great work of literature. It is pretty much the same as most of these novels are but not one of the best I've read.
Joan
This was fabulous. Loved how the character were real people and not just people in history. You were absorbed in the story from the first page.
Krista
Seems like this was written really quickly...and not with too great attention to detail/accuracy.
Beverly
I enjoyed the book but wished it would have continued until the end of her life.
Dacia
One book that I thought the movie came close to doing justice to.....
Asma
I am fond of Queen Elizabeth.
Leigh
Entertaining, but not historically accurate.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
G
G marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Lordi Anna
Lordi Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Elizabeth Sirk
Elizabeth Sirk marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Lindsey Bingley
Lindsey Bingley marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Julie Gribbin
Julie Gribbin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Tiffanie
Tiffanie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Slightly Devious
Slightly Devious marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Wendy Wullaert
Wendy Wullaert marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Hazel Grace
Hazel Grace marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Kolby Keller
Kolby Keller marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
George Clark
George Clark marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
N
N marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • Behind the Mask: The Life of Queen Elizabeth I
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • King James, VI of Scotland, I of England
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • The House of Tudor
  • William's Wife (Queens of England, #10)
  • Great Harry
  • Mary Tudor: A Life
  • أم العروسة
  • Elizabeth and Essex
  • Rubies in the Snow: Diary of Russia's Last Grand Duchess 1911-1918
  • The Queen of Subtleties: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Crown of Aloes
  • Arthur the King
  • Sing the Light (Singers of Nevya, #1)
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
Tasha Alexander is the New York Times bestselling author of the Lady Emily series and the novel ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE. She attended the University of Notre Dame, where she studied English and Medieval History. Her work has been nominated for numerous awards and has been translated into more than a dozen languages. She and her husband, novelist Andrew Grant, divide their time between Chicago an ...more
More about Tasha Alexander...
And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2) A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3) Dangerous to Know (Lady Emily, #5) Tears of Pearl (Lady Emily, #4)