Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Book #1)” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Book #1)

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I (Book #1)

4.47  ·  Rating Details ·  7,484 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews
The Complete Sherlock Holmes comprises four novels and fifty-six short stories revolving around the world’s most popular and influential fictional detective—the eccentric, arrogant, and ingenious Sherlock Holmes. He and his trusted friend, Dr. Watson, step from Holmes’s comfortable quarters at 221b Baker Street into the swirling fog of Victorian London to exercise that u ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published September 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I, please sign up.

Kenan Curry Yup! I can't wait 'til His Last Bow! I don't want to see him
killed off, but I do want to see how he did it...
Yup! I can't wait 'til His Last Bow! I don't want to see him
killed off, but I do want to see how he did it...
Anyway, buy it! They're all awesome!(less)

Aug 23, 2013 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten so many little things about Holmes and Watson and the original stories of ACD.

It seems like a phenominal statement to make doesn't it? Holmes and Watson have been fixtures in my life, since I can't remember when. I have been watching movies and TV shows about them since my parents got our 1st TV when I was six years old. The can still remember the horror I felt watching one of the The Hound of the Baskervilles movies (I do not remember which version).

This year, there is a new TV
Feb 13, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Whatever you do, read Hound of the Baskervilles. Holy cow, that's now one of my favorite books. The short stories are fun, but some are better than others.

It feels like Holmes and Watson are really fleshed out as dynamic characters in Baskervilles. Is it the longer length? Is it because it was written so much later than the short stories?
Apr 09, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Since 8th grade I have been head over heals for Holmes. I guess I just like moody intellectuals. It is so intertaining to watch him demonstrate his superior intellect again and again. I am really glad I picked these up a B&N. It's great to have all of Sherlock Holmes in two volumes.
Mar 22, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 01-books-i-own
Holmes & Watson <3
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume I by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is great fun to read. Other than the three short novels, A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, and The Hound of the Baskervilles, this first volume is comprised of a collection of Holmes stories (also published under the titles of Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes). I read this large volume over the course of three months or so, reading stories between the run of bad books I’ve unfortunately had this ...more
Since I’ve been reading this off and on since February (yeah, that’s right, ten months!), I’ve forgotten a lot of particular criticisms and compliments for individual mysteries. So, although I can’t be exactly in-depth with this, I can account for the general, over-all feel of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

When I first started reading, I found it difficult to picture Holmes and Watson as younger men. They’re in their mid-30s, probably, but for some reason the tone of the book makes them feel like
Feb 09, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of a two volume set containing all Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s published works featuring Sherlock Holmes. Collected here in order of original publication, this first volume includes the first two novels (A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four), followed by the first two collections of short stories (Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes) and ends with the third novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Overall, it a wonderful collection featuring some of the m ...more
May 10, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how much English literature became less dense between Austen, Dickens and Thackeray to Doyle. I admit I was avoiding reading this because I thought it would take the same level of time and commitment as a Dickens novel, but I was (pleasantly) surprised by how much easier it was to read.

I really enjoyed reading this compilation of four of Doyle's Holmes novels. It's easy to see why so many people love Sherlock Holmes and the books are so widely read.

However, I have to admit that "A
May 01, 2010 Adela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adela by: Adam
I've only read A Study in Scarlet from this collection, which was my intention. I'd lean toward 4 stars but I can't say how the rest of the book turns out. I definitely want to read the rest of the book--which totally suprises me--but not right at the moment. I've always been anti-Sherlock Holmes. Turns out he's not so bad after all.
Aug 25, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A truly awesome collection of short stories and novels. There's no doubt in my mind that Sherlock Holmes is a master at his craft. Thoroughly entertaining; can't wait to dive into Volume II!
Nov 11, 2014 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001books
I loved the novels (The Hound of the Baskervilles was a reread for me), but the stories were very much hit-or-miss.
This month, I have read ten of the short stories for 12th grade British Literature. I am a little disappointed that this was my first foray into the adventures of Holmes and Watson. But, to be trite, better late than never.

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote incredibly compelling tales and created one of the most magnificent characters in the history of literature. Despite more than a century in popular culture with countless interpretations in books,
Apr 12, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world’s most revered and famous fictional detective first appeared from the pen of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle almost a 130 years ago, but the author did not finish with his greatest creation until almost 40 years later even after unsuccessfully killing him off. In this first volume of all the collected works that feature Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson, the reader first meets the great detective and his friend through two short novellas, 23 short stories, and the best-known and gr ...more
Jul 04, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own
Having undertaken the journey of reading ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories due to my recent infatuation with the terrific BBC television series Sherlock, I am pleased to say I am pleased! Though Sir A. C. D. himself once insisted that he would be disappointed if he were only remembered for creating the character of Holmes, I have to object to such a statement. You should not be disappointed, sir!

These stories are brilliant. They aren't the most quickly-paced things, and they aren't exactly drippi
Nov 04, 2012 Alondra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Buffs
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 Stars

I cannot believe I am finished! I started, stopped, sputtered-to-life, halted, then started again. It took me 4 months to plow through this book; which is rare, since size does NOT matter. I have tackled larger books in less time. I did not find this book very interesting in the beginning, but once I set my mind to it this last month, it went quickly (I mostly read it on the weekends this past October).

The stories were relatively short, and actually quite humorous (Robert Downey Jr. pla
Jul 06, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I watched RDJ's Sherlock Holmes movie a few years ago, I was instantly hooked - I was immediately a fan of the characters and the story; this obsession escalated when I discovered BBC Sherlock, as well as Elementary. I knew I had to read the books and short stories that started it all, and I'm so glad I finally had the time to. Reading the original stories has really proved to me that these characters are immortal, and there's a reason why these stories are classics. I absolutely love these ...more
Feb 06, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An overall fun read. Ever since the release of the Sherlock Holmes movies, I have envisioned Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law when I read these stories! It was such great casting and it made the book even more enjoyable. As for the stories themselves, they have the potential to be a bit repetitive. But if you read one story at a time as they were originally intended to be read, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Anyways, like I said, a fun and entertaining read, can't wait to start on the seco ...more
Dec 22, 2015 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is my FAVORITE literary character of all time. And I've only read half the stories.

I never dreamed I would fall in love with the mastery of one fictional man's capabilities of mind. I now use Holmes' methods of deducing, on an everyday basis. (It's just so hard not to, now that I've learned a few of his tricks.) And yet... there's still so much MORE to take in from this master of deduction!

Volume I = complete.
Volume II = here I come!
Timothy Stone
Feb 02, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is a character which long ago reached pop culture status. The books, novels, and short stories are so well-known, and have been gone over so many times, that very little can really be said which hasn't been said already. In effect, what I say is pretty much *guaranteed* to have been said before. The attempt to write something original on the topic is like that of a student trying to write an original Honor's Thesis. It's simply really not feasible.

The short stories and novels th
Dec 08, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The edition I read was from Doubleday and had a preface by Christopher Morley. This was the best detective series ever. It's only shortcoming is that when you finish, you wish you could read them all for the first time. The stories also give some insight to the culture of the time.

I have also read the apocryphal (not really) works. The best is The Seven Percent Solution by Nicholas Meyer followed by The Giant Rat of Sumatra and Meyer's West End Horror.
Jan 13, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery novels owe everything to Sherlock Holmes. And frankly about 80 percent of crime television series on the air today do too. Perhaps there were detective novelists prior to Conan Doyle, but he was the first to concoct the perfect mix of humor, suspense, and quirkiness into the genre that thousands continue to emulate today and millions continue to enjoy. Reportedly, Conan Doyle became somewhat annoyed (or perhaps jealous?) of the success of his principle protagonist and kept trying to kill ...more
Dear god, that was a slog.

It's not that these aren't good (they are -- especially the novels), but they are so formulaic (especially the short stories). Holmes is bored then finally gets a mystery that needs solving --> Watson asks tentatively if he may please oh please come along --> Holmes grants the request --> Holmes solves the mystery with a bit of showing off to the dismay of everyone around him (except Watson who thumps his tail like a proud dog).

Perhaps one wouldn't feel such i
Feb 18, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the world of Sherlock Holmes. The Hound of the Baskervilles was my favorite story. Indubitably! Need a break before I read Volume 2.
Alex Andrasik
This whole collection is, of course, a classic, and a fascinating look at Victorian interests, mores, and preoccupations. Class plays a big role here, albeit a background one, so if entitlement and snobbishness in a pre-pop sociology world is triggering for you, you may want to stick with the Cumberbatch version.

What is a little disappointing for the first-time Sherlock explorer is how trite most of these mysteries are to the modern audience. I have no doubt that this parade of impostures, fraud
Hugh Coverly
Apr 29, 2014 Hugh Coverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love both Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson but I'm not a fan of Arthur Conan Doyle. His claim to fame--despite his best efforts otherwise--is to have created one of of the most memorable characters in English literature. Although skillfully written, as any successful murder and crime story must be, they are not literary, in the artistic sense. One reads these stories, I suspect, to find out if you've reached the same conclusion before the great detective reveals the solution.

One does wonder wha
Mar 03, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Awesome! I'm glad I haven't watched any of the many Sherlock movies or television shows because I can already see how Doyle's Sherlock is different. I can't recommend this enough. :)
Sep 29, 2016 Rika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually started this book probably two years ago, read a third of it and got bored, came back to it and read another third, got bored again, and now I decided to finally finish it. I didn't enjoy it. I think part of the problem was that they are mostly short stories so there isn't too much continuity so it was hard to stay interested. Also I think in the tv world of CSI/law and Order or any other crime show, it is pretty easy to see how things would work out. I do like the character of Holmes ...more
Jan 19, 2016 Ceres rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of Sherlock Holmes ever since I was young, I was excited that it was picked for our June book of the month. Sherlock is definitely one eccentric dude but his deduction skills are on top notch. The two stories I've read we're pretty ok in my opinion, but then again they were the first 2 Sherlock Holmes stories so I figured Doyle didn't really go all out on the story lines yet. Still it was a good introduction to the famous fictional sleuth. I think I enjoyed "A Study in Scarlet" bette ...more
Amy Sturgis
It doesn't matter how many times I've reread these stories. With each revisitation, I always find something new to admire and appreciate.
Chris Jaffe
Jan 08, 2016 Chris Jaffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is a classic and most of the stories are fantastic. Holmes is a memorable character. My favorites included: Speckled Band, the Engineer's Thumb, & of course Hound of the Baskervilles.

It's "only" four stars instead of five because some of the earliest stories in the front of the book were weaker. Doyle had a taste for the exotic with his early criminals and it hasn't aged well. You get the barely human savage from the Indian Ocean. Yeah, that racism hasn't aged well. But frankly his depi
HMSA Reads: Book Review: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volume 1 1 1 Aug 21, 2016 11:18PM
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Tales of New York
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • The Turn of the Screw, The Aspern Papers and Two Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Writings
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories
  • The Complete Pelican Shakespeare
  • Northfield
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It
  • The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories
  • Billy Budd and The Piazza Tales
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...