Start by marking “Do One Nice Thing: Little Things You Can Do to Make the World a Lot Nicer” as Want to Read:
Do One Nice Thing: Little Things You Can Do to Make the World a Lot Nicer

Do One Nice Thing: Little Things You Can Do to Make the World a Lot Nicer

A few years ago, Debbie Tenzer was feeling overwhelmed by all the crises in the news. But rather than give in to despair, she thought, Maybe I can’t solve our big problems, but I know I can do something. She realized that helping doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive or time-consuming. You can help simply by doing one nice thing. So that’s what she vowed to do, one day ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Do One Nice Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do One Nice Thing

Lain
Mar 21, 2010 Lain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great concept - pick one nice thing and do it, once a week. This is the very definition of a viral idea -- simple, actionable and timely! I hope Debbie Tenzer's book and concept catches on, because it's just what we all need more of -- intentional kindness.

The book is full of over 100 ideas for things you can do by yourself or with friends and family. Pick one a week and act on it -- or do the same thing every week for a month or a year! I really like how Tenzer includes short anecdotes o
Evanston Public  Library
Debbie Tenzer figured the way to balance some of the negativity in the world was to start doing nice things for others- at least on Mondays, which she finds the hardest day of the week. Apparently, her idea struck a chord with others, who she refers to as “Nice-a-holics.” The concept is appealing because people are encouraged to help in whatever way they can, even with low cost items. Sometimes a project works because of the numbers of people contributing or sometimes objects are recycled, like ...more
kathi
Feb 14, 2011 kathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't start reading this book on the 14th as listed although that isn't important. i found this book to be interesting but somewhat redundant. I did find some interesting sites that i can do some good by visiting. one site takes old gift cards, etc and melts them down to make new gift cards which is nice since the PVC plastic doesn't decompose. Several sites that offer simple games for us to play and each time an answer is correct the company donates food for dogs, cats and humans. At Kiva.or ...more
librarian4Him02
Debbie Tenzer became tired of all the bad news going on in the world. So, she decided to do one nice thing each week. In addition, she started a website where she and others share ideas for random acts of kindness.

The book is conveniently organized by topic, so one can start anywhere in the book. There are ideas for every walk of life and ability from things you can do online to activities that require one to get off the couch and leave the living room.

I found many inspiring ideas in this book
Leahjoypro
Dec 01, 2009 Leahjoypro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I'm definitely going to have to buy a copy (the one I read was from the library). So many great (and easy!) ideas for helping out others. Even if I don't specifically follow-up on a lot of the ideas, I still got a new perspective: all those extra scarves, canned goods, christmas decorations, and books that I have laying around the house, have a better destination than the trash can now!
Kathryn
Nov 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
finished this in one day at work... very inspirational...challenges you to do one nice thing a week to help make the world a whole lot brighter:) lists great websites to visit that donate money to charities when you answer trivia questions, or search engines you can use that do that same. it put me in a great mood and made me want to be a better person:) highly reccommended!
Kevin
Aug 22, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me save you the trouble of getting this book by summarizing it.

Do One Nice Thing one day a week for someone else. It will make you feel better and will make the world a better place.

If you want some ideas, by all means read the book. But the book is basically a list of ideas that you can use to do your "nice thing".
Lisa
May 27, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read book of ideas "to make the world a lot nicer." Love the quotation at the front of the book:
"Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold--but so does a boiled egg." -- Anonymous

Lori
Dec 25, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent resource for ways to "pay it forward". The author provides great ideas how to make Mondays a positive experience by giving to others. I may purchase this book because I am impressed with the book. Debbie Tenzer also has a website called DoOneNiceThing.com.
Jillian
This is basically a list of charities (and a few ideas of nice things to do). I knew about half of the organizations, and most of the ideas weren't novel to me, but I think this would make a nice gift.
S. Renee
Having been a big fan of the Random Acts of Kindness books back in college this was fun to read-had some new ideas I hadn't thought of before and a few of the tried and true...
Theresa
I skimmed through it briefly while adding it to the catalog. I like the idea of short, simple suggestions of how to make the day better for yourself and others.
Lea
Great book for anyone who has ever disliked Mondays. Lots of ideas for little and big good things to do for anytime at all! :)
Andrea
Please note that if the title of this book had been "Do Two Nice Things," I would not have put it on my to-read list.
Lily
Sep 28, 2010 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Yay for the kindness movement! This book is filled with good ideas on how to reach out to others in meaningful ways.
Linsey Krolik
Linsey Krolik rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2009
Maria (Ri)
Basic, but a good reminder.
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Lisa T.
Lisa T. rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2011
Janice Gray
Janice Gray rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Kayne rated it liked it
May 04, 2010
Saralyn
Sep 08, 2015 Saralyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the ideas and encouragement to look for more opportunities to help others.
Alyssa Carey
Alyssa Carey rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Lara
Lara rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Michelle Ash
Michelle Ash rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2011
TerriLynn Miller
TerriLynn Miller rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2010