Gabriella's Song

Gabriella's Song

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Gabriella wanders the streets and canals of Venice singing a simple tune so evocative that it makes the baker long for his youth, turns the widow to weeping, and sets the gondolier's heart aflutter. This captivating song is passed around until it's on the lips of all in the city. Full color.
Published October 1st 1997 by Atheneum Books (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gabriella's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gabriella's Song

Gundula
Mar 07, 2011 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children (well, anyone) interested in music
When I first received Gabriella's Song from the library, I was not at all sure wether I would actually enjoy the book, as I did not find the cover image all that appealing (I liked the colours, but Gabriella's facial expression was not exactly to my liking). However, this is another truly wonderful picture book to share with children, especially children interested in music, and how music is created and/or perceived. The main point of Gabriella's Song (at least for me) is not only that music can...more
Lisa Vegan
Feb 20, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who’s ever been touched by music; fans of Venice; fans of beautiful illustrations
I’m giving this book 5 stars, well, 4 ½ actually, because of both the illustrations and the story. I like that the informative author’s note started off the book vs. it being at the end, as is more typical.

The illustrations are truly lovely. I want to go to Venice! It’s wonderfully depicted! I also like how some of the hanging laundry on the inside covers are cloths with music scores on them. And how some of the illustrations are whimsical. And, just everything about them, even people’s faces th...more
Crystal Marcos
Gabriella's Song is a sweet and charming book. I appreciated the warm color use in the illustrations adding to the cozy feel of the book. I liked the storyline of a little girl walking through Venice with a song that catches on throughout the city. I thought it did a nice job of expressing how music affects everyone differently. It was also nice to see the culture of the city. The author note in the beginning was helpful in understanding this city of music.
This book was a choice of the Children'...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Maybe 2.5 stars. I have very mixed feelings about it. I do not understand, appreciate, or like that illustrative style. I see no grace or vibrancy in the art.

I liked the concept of the story, and I *think* I liked the style in which it was written - but I think I'd have to wait a week and have someone read it aloud to me so I can't see the pictures, to be sure.
Dolly
Dec 08, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I discovered this book as it was featured as one of the March 2011 Music-themed reads for the Picture-book club in the Children's Books group here at Goodreads. We really enjoyed the story; I'm not sure it would have been a book that we would have chosen on our own, so I'm thankful once again for this group introducing us to a wide variety of books.

I like the idea that little Giselle found music in the everyday sounds around her. While reading the story we attempted to make a song from the soun...more
Robin
A well-crafted story with truly ugly illustrations.
Shannon K
This is a tale that I have never heard or read before. It is set in Venice Italy in the 1600’s. At this time Venice was a city of music. In this story Gabriella started a song that affects everyone she meets a different way. This is truly a unique and charming story. It would be a great book to introduce some new vocabulary with because there is a plethora of new words with in the text. The illustrations are amazing! The illustrator used ink, watercolor, and colored pencils to create the beautif...more
Shelli
I really enjoyed this one. Gabriella is a young girl who is inspired by the city she loves and lives in, Venice. The author does a wonderful job describing Venice as a musical land and birthplace of Opera and arias. Gabriella creates and hums a lovely tune that move people in a variety of different ways. I loved how her melody brought joy to some and sadness to others, music really does speak to everyone in their own personal way.
Julia Miller
Gabriella, a young girl, is inspired by the sounds of Venice to create her own song. Her beautiful, simple little tune spreads like wildfire through the streets, and eventually inspires something greater than itself. This is a cute little book about how ideas and art can be infectious in the best of ways, and how each piece of art can evoke different emotions in different people, but remains valid despite this.
Kim
Charmingly illustrated tale weaves together sounds heard in Venice: bump de bump bump of gondolas, slap-slap of drying laundry, flap-flap of pigeon wings, jing-aling-ling of lire and ting-aling-ling of church bells. Inspired by author's son who heard a song where his mother heard irritating noise in the grocery store.
missy lambert
Will you think I'm a dork if I tell you I picked this book up off the library shelf to read to my daughter and it made me cry? In full disclosure, I'd been driving around Newport, RI all morning, and beautiful scenery makes me susceptible to weepiness. But I just thought the metaphor was so lovely...
Karan Johnstone
This book is about a little girl who heard music in the things around her. When she sang her song, others listened and it was turned into a symphony.
Good book to teach onomatopoeia
Kiera
Story of music in Venice, Italy. Fun illustrations. Also, uses some Italian words and could be used to talk about other cultures and histories.
Christie Suh
Gabriella is a young girl who hears music throughout the city and from the sounds make a song that she sings throughout the city.
Ashley Levan
A young girl from Venice hears music throughout the city and makes a tune. A composer hears the song and turns it into a symphony.
Lilith
Both my mom and I really liked this when I was little... Sweet!
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Lexy
Lexy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Katie.e.schmelzer
Katie.e.schmelzer marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Joyeeta Chatterjee
Joyeeta Chatterjee marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good st...more
More about Candace Fleming...
Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart Oh, No! Clever Jack Takes the Cake Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! On the Day I Died: Stories from the Grave