Start by marking “Gabriella's Song” as Want to Read:
Gabriella's Song

Gabriella's Song

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Among the widening canals and streets of Venice, something wonderful is happening! There's a sweet song on everyone's lips--a song that began with a little girl named Gabriella.It's a song that makes the baker laugh, brings the widow to tears, and causes the gondolier to swoon. And it's just the tune that inspires a certain struggling composer to begin his greatest symphon ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Atheneum Books (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gabriella's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gabriella's Song

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children (well, anyone) interested in music
When I first collected this book from the library, I was not at all sure wether I would actually enjoy it, as I did not find the cover image all that appealing (I liked the colours, but Gabriella's facial expression was not exactly to my liking). However, this is another truly wonderful picture book to share with children, especially children interested in music, and how music is created and/or perceived. The main point (at least for me) is not only that music can be found anywhere and everywher ...more
Lisa Vegan
Feb 20, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who’s ever been touched by music; fans of Venice; fans of beautiful illustrations
I’m giving this book 5 stars, well, 4 actually, because of both the illustrations and the story. I like that the informative author’s note started off the book vs. it being at the end, as is more typical.

The illustrations are truly lovely. I want to go to Venice! It’s wonderfully depicted! I also like how some of the hanging laundry on the inside covers are cloths with music scores on them. And how some of the illustrations are whimsical. And, just everything about them, even people’s faces tho
Crystal Marcos
Gabriella's Song is a sweet and charming book. I appreciated the warm color use in the illustrations adding to the cozy feel of the book. I liked the storyline of a little girl walking through Venice with a song that catches on throughout the city. I thought it did a nice job of expressing how music affects everyone differently. It was also nice to see the culture of the city. The author note in the beginning was helpful in understanding this city of music.
This book was a choice of the Children'
Dolly
Dec 08, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I discovered this book as it was featured as one of the March 2011 Music-themed reads for the Picture-book club in the Children's Books group here at Goodreads. We really enjoyed the story; I'm not sure it would have been a book that we would have chosen on our own, so I'm thankful once again for this group introducing us to a wide variety of books.

I like the idea that little Giselle found music in the everyday sounds around her. While reading the story we attempted to make a song from the soun
Lindsi
Jun 24, 2015 Lindsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a little girl named Gabriella, who lives in Venice and who loves music. One day when she’s out and about she starts singing. The baker hears her song and sings it, he passes it on to a widow and on and on until it gets to a composer. The composer hears Gabriella singing it outside his window and turns it into a complete symphony. He then performs it and everyone turns to whom they heard it from. Gabriella receives the credit for the inspiration for the symphony. I liked this ...more
Karol
Apr 16, 2016 Karol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gabriella's Song is a beautiful story about how music makes us feel and inspiring a composer to write. It takes place in lively Venice, Italy.
Marietta  ☆*:.。. dяêåмëг øл тнę яüи  .。.:*☆
Even though it is a children's book, the story is really sweet and meaningful. Lovely illustrations as well.
Michael Fitzgerald
A bit too simple. Odd pictures. Everything works except the people.
Robin
Aug 02, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-crafted story with truly ugly illustrations.
Shannon K
This is a tale that I have never heard or read before. It is set in Venice Italy in the 1600’s. At this time Venice was a city of music. In this story Gabriella started a song that affects everyone she meets a different way. This is truly a unique and charming story. It would be a great book to introduce some new vocabulary with because there is a plethora of new words with in the text. The illustrations are amazing! The illustrator used ink, watercolor, and colored pencils to create the beautif ...more
Shelli
Jan 03, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this one. Gabriella is a young girl who is inspired by the city she loves and lives in, Venice. The author does a wonderful job describing Venice as a musical land and birthplace of Opera and arias. Gabriella creates and hums a lovely tune that move people in a variety of different ways. I loved how her melody brought joy to some and sadness to others, music really does speak to everyone in their own personal way.
Julia Miller
Gabriella, a young girl, is inspired by the sounds of Venice to create her own song. Her beautiful, simple little tune spreads like wildfire through the streets, and eventually inspires something greater than itself. This is a cute little book about how ideas and art can be infectious in the best of ways, and how each piece of art can evoke different emotions in different people, but remains valid despite this.
Kim
Oct 20, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, picture-books, italy
Charmingly illustrated tale weaves together sounds heard in Venice: bump de bump bump of gondolas, slap-slap of drying laundry, flap-flap of pigeon wings, jing-aling-ling of lire and ting-aling-ling of church bells. Inspired by author's son who heard a song where his mother heard irritating noise in the grocery store.
missy jean
Oct 19, 2008 missy jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Will you think I'm a dork if I tell you I picked this book up off the library shelf to read to my daughter and it made me cry? In full disclosure, I'd been driving around Newport, RI all morning, and beautiful scenery makes me susceptible to weepiness. But I just thought the metaphor was so lovely...
Karan Johnstone
This book is about a little girl who heard music in the things around her. When she sang her song, others listened and it was turned into a symphony.
Good book to teach onomatopoeia
Kiera
Apr 19, 2010 Kiera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of music in Venice, Italy. Fun illustrations. Also, uses some Italian words and could be used to talk about other cultures and histories.
Christie Suh
Apr 26, 2010 Christie Suh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Gabriella is a young girl who hears music throughout the city and from the sounds make a song that she sings throughout the city.
Ashley Levan
Apr 26, 2010 Ashley Levan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young girl from Venice hears music throughout the city and makes a tune. A composer hears the song and turns it into a symphony.
Lilith
Both my mom and I really liked this when I was little... Sweet!
Suki
Jul 05, 2016 Suki rated it it was amazing
Gabriella's Song ranks just a smidge below A Box for Katje.
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jul 16, 2016
Nicolaus
Nicolaus marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Mrs. Green
Mrs. Green marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Aiden Bettine
Aiden Bettine marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
فائقة العوض
فائقة العوض marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mole Music
  • Moses Goes to a Concert
  • A Story for Bear
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • Coolies
  • What Do Authors Do?
  • She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!
  • We'll Paint the Octopus Red
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • Ben's Trumpet
  • The Secret Footprints
  • The Junkyard Wonders
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good st
More about Candace Fleming...