The Wolf's Story

The Wolf's Story

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Told in the confidential, conversational voice of a New York wheeler-dealer, this version of the Grimm Brother's story of Little Red Riding Hood is retold from a fresh perspective - the wolf's!
Unknown Binding, 25 pages
Published July 13th 2006 by Walker Books Ltd

Tahmin Nessa
This is one of many stories with an alternate ending to its traditional counterparts. Within this book it shows how the Wolf was mistaken to be the 'bad guy'. The Wolf is the narrator and starts this story off by addressing the readers, one of the key phrases throughout the story being 'No, please. Look at me. Would I lie to you?' The Wolf describes himself as a vegetarian, who is a handyman doing odd jobs for Grandma, who he often got along with. However, he often felt neglected when Little Red...more
N_kellie
Toby Forward’s version of “Little Red Riding Hood” reveals the wolf’s side of the story. This clever version is an amusing tale told by the wolf himself. From the first page, the wolf attempts to convince the reader that he isn’t a bad wolf, and that this whole mess is not his fault.

The story starts with the wolf blaming the whole incident on grandma, or the old lady, as he refers to her. After inviting the reader to sit closer (he claims he doesn’t bite) he goes on to say that he had been help...more
L- Lisa
This version of the classic tale is told from the Wolf’s perspective. That Wolf works as a handy “animal”, hired by Grandma. Through his first person perspective he describes the little red caped girl who visits Grandma each week, bringing toffee as the treat. Thinking only of saving Grandma’s teeth from the toffee, he goes out to find “the kid” in the red cape. The plan runs amuck with Grandma falling into a wardrobe, bumping her head. That Wolf falls right into the traditional story until, he...more
Pippi Bluestocking
As seen on The Cynical Bookworm. Almost.

A Marxian analysis of the Red Riding Hood
(can I have more of this sort of retellings, please?)

I never liked Red Riding Hood, as I happen to be one of those people who like animals more than humans. Well, this is the same story narrated by the wolf as I imagined him - a misunderstood creature.

More than that, it is disruptive of other kinds of myths, not just nursery fairy-tales. The wolf is a handyman and servant hired by grandma. The grand-daughter dislik...more
Ch13_megan Carlisle
"The Wolf's Story" provides an alternate telling of the well known story.
It begins:
"No, please. Look at me. Would I LIE to you? It was the old woman who started it. I did nothing wrong. Would I?"

From that point on the wolf attempts to convince the audience of his version of events and innocence in the matter. Little Red Riding Hood is cast as a snobby, sugar loving granddaughter and he as a compassionate vegetarian handy man. Whose version of the story is accurate? That is left to the reader t...more
Doreen
Mar 03, 2011 Doreen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults and children - for a good laugh
Recommended to Doreen by: saw it at the library
This story is just so funny. Told from the wolf's perspective, I laughed for the entire time it took to read. I can't say that the wolf convinces me of his innocence, but he does a good job trying!
This story is an alternative versionof little red riding hood told from the wolf’s perspective. He explains how everything was a big misunderstanding and how he would never hurt grandma. He explains how grandma fell and bumped her head when Red knocked on the door. He panicked, so he put on one of grandma’s dresses and jumped into her bed. When Red notices him, she screamed. A woodcutter came in and chopped a piece of his tail off as he jumped out the window. He promises that he would never hurt...more
Ch_jank-caporale
I didn't care much for this book. In the tradition of "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs!" by Jon Scieszka, the wolf's story tells the Little Red Riding Hood tale from the wolf's perspective. The voice of the wolf is intentionally not believable which I found patronizing to the point of offense. (I suspect children already familiar with Scieszka's book will react the same.)
The illustrations are pleasant. Granny looks almost modern, though Red is attired from the distant past. In the wolf's...more
Amy
Michelle at Booksmykidsread
Since we all think we know what really happened that day in the woods, Toby Forward offers up the wolf’s side of the story. According to this story, the wolf was a health nut who did odd jobs for granny. Red had met him many times, but never really liked him. When granny accidentally knocks her head in the closet, the wolf panicked and tried to pretend he was granny. He didn’t want to eat Little Red, but she tried to pop a sticky toffee in his mouth and he was jumping away from her. At that mome...more
Lisa
Brilliant re-telling of the little red hiding hood fairy tale, the illustrations are brilliant, especially for the whole "what big eyes/ears/teeth you have" scene. Great little book! Narrated by the wolf, telling his side of the story, which was just a massive understanding, you believe me right? ;)
Jessica
This is the common story of the little red riding hood told in the wolf’s perspective. He explains how everything was a big misunderstanding and how he would never hurt grandma. He explains how grandma fell and bumped her head when Red knocked on the door. He panicked, so he put on one of grandma’s dresses on. When Red notices him, she screamed. A farmer came in and chopped a piece of his tail off as he jumped out the window. He promises that he would never hurt grandma or anyone for that matter...more
Shannon K
This book is the Wolfs side of the Little Red Ridding Hood tale. I really like that authors have written books on the classic tales with opposing views, I think they are great teaching tools to use with kids. They can teach them that there can be many different views on one particular event, helps them to form their own opinions, and learn to compare and contrast between the stories. This story was imaginative and was funny at times. Some of the illustrations could be on the scary side, but I th...more
Eyehavenofilter
Very clever artwork, snarky wolf, but a loveable cad. I kind of fell a little bit under his spell, truth be told! I'd believe a wolf, wouldn't you? Especially one who says he's a vegetarian. This one says he was Grandmas handyman, ah...wolf. That he was always there to help with chores and such. He says that Grandma was trying to reach something high up in the wardrobe and that she fell and hit her head. ( sure , sure) anyway he panicked! When Little Red showed up. That's his story and he is tic...more
Meaghan
This book is very much like the true story of the three little pigs. The wolf just wants to tell his side of the story. He was just a handy man that would help out around grandma's house until Little Red Riding Hood ruined it all. It's told from the wolf's point of view and is really humorus. You're always second guessing what he's saying. Kids will love the book the illustrations are great and kids seem to enjoy these fractured fairy tales as well as the adults reading them!
Jo
I thought this was pretty funny, although I see that the reviews for it are quite mixed. A great twist on the story of Little Red Riding Hood told from the perspective of the wolf. He's a vegetarian you know, and wouldn't dream of eating someone's Grandma. The wolf tells his story, all while asking the reader if they're sure they wouldn't like to sit just a little bit closer to him. *wink* ;)
Lisa Lecompte
Wolf is a big helper to Grandma, doing her shopping, tidying her garden and even fixing her clothes. But when her granddaughter, Little Red, comes to visit, grandma ignores Wolf. To makes matters worse, Little Red brings Grandma toffee that is ruining her teeth. When Grandma falls in her wardrobe, Wolf is scared and pretends to be Grandma. Little Red discovers Wolf and the excitement continues!
At least a 4.5. This tale is told from the wolf's perspective. It is just dodgy enough that at the end the reader is still not sure whether the wolf is telling the truth or not. Can you trust the Wolf's story, or is it all just a clever ruse? The pictures lend great flair to this book, but the writing is spectacular, because the reader can clearly hear the Wolf's voice.
Gail Barge
There are so many different versions of Little Read Riding Hood, and this is one I haven't even read before. This would be a good book to connect with Lon Po Po, as well as other stories from different perspectives. No one hears this story from the Wolf's side of the story. This could also lead to a lesson on perspective writing and point of view composition.
Carol
Year Published: 2005
Grade Level: K-4

This is a story of Little Red Riding Hood, but from the Wolf's point of view. He claims innocence in the who matter of Grandma being eaten. Th Wolf was just working for Grandma and there was a little problem. I liked hearing the version from the Wolf's point of view and seeing a different side of the story.
Cheryl
A fun re-telling of this familiar fairy tale from the wolf's point of view. Of course he is a nice wolf, taking great care of grandma, and he IS a sort of new wolf with vegetarian cuisine a specialty!

Sensitive readers (view spoiler)
Samantha Penrose
The wolf from little red riding hood would like to clear his name. He would have you believe that he is a kind, trustworthy fellow who was wrongly judged based on a few simple "misunderstandings".....would you trust a wolf?
Angela
While not as good as The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, this book was an entertaining fairy tale told from an alternate point of view. I liked how the wolf would ask the reader if he/she believed the wolf.
Helen
Zach really engaged with this book and loved the idea of a traditional tale being told from the point-of-view of the 'baddie'.
Nicely illustrated with easy to read print, a good book for reluctant readers.
Carrie
This is for older kids - maybe 4/5 and up. It's the story of Red Riding Hood from the Wolf's perspective, and he is funny! Also a little scary & a little bit of blood...so beware.
Lisa
This book is an amusing take on Little Red Riding Hood. The wold tells his side of the story. I think some of the humor is better understand by 1st graders and up.
Relyn
Jul 12, 2012 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
This was a fun fractured fairy tale. Not amazing, but definitely fun.

Classroom Connection
fairy tale unit
Kim
A different view of Little Red Riding HOod. The wolf of course was never going to eat anybody.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It is about the wolf's story of little red riding hood. It is funny.
Sheila
Little Red Riding Hood from the Wolf's point of view.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Petite Rouge: A Cajun Red Riding Hood
  • The Wolf Who Cried Boy
  • Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!)
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • Jack and the Baked Beanstalk
  • The Three Little Javelinas
  • Dog in Boots
  • Previously
Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1) Fireborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #2) What Did You Do Today?: The First Day of School Doubleborn (Flaxfield Quartet #3) Shakespeare's Globe: An Interactive Pop-up Theatre