Start by marking “Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)” as Want to Read:
Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)

Brotherhood of the Wolf (The Runelords #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  7,816 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Raj Ahten, ruler of Indhopal, has used enough forcibles to transform himself into the ultimate warrior: The Sum of All Men. Young Prince Gaborn, the Earth King, has managed to drive him off, but Ahten is far from defeated.
Audio, 9 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood of the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brotherhood of the Wolf

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Raj Ahtan has fled from Gaborn Val Orden, the prophesied and ascendant Earth King. Tricked on the field of battle by a ruse, Ahtan is far from vanquished. Bolstered by the strength, speed, stamina, charisma, and beauty of thousands of men, he moves to strike at where Gaborn is weakest, to tear down the kingdoms of Rofehaven from within. But while Ahtan works to lure Gaborn into a trap, Gaborn realizes a greater enemy is threatening, and designs a plan that he hopes will ally Ahtan with him again ...more
A very entertaining read. Starts off kind of slow and contains many fantasy cliches. That being said, it is also action packed and has a very unique feel to it as well.

Farland has trouble giving life to the main characters, I feel like they really don't have any consistent personality and are very boring. There are a lot of side-characters that are really personable and you come to really enjoy, however they are also lumped in with even MORE side characters who you vaguely get to know but are ju
This was a nice follow-on to the first book of Runelords series.

I was engaged and intrigued the whole book.

The only criticism I have is the "sudden" change of heart for Iome about the dogs. I wanted a bit more explanation and more of her reasoning. But, perhaps it was there and I read through the book too quickly to catch it.

I am excited to read the next book in the series though (I have it and almost changed its order in my "to read" stack, but I wanted to go to a different genre first in prep
Dino D'Angelo
i found it surprising that so many 'slammed' this book as one of the worst in the series, i found it thoroughly entertaining... a 'proper' follow up in the series (leading you into the answers that you question while reading, not losing pace nor going off on superfluous tangents).
Jun 29, 2010 Pa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in Lord of the Rings type fantasy
The second book in the Runelords series. Like its predecessor, a well-above-average fantasy tale. The characters are interesting and generally not one-dimensional. The plot is well developed, though the tale is likely almost endless.
Aug 18, 2010 Angie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a strong stomach
Shelves: fantasy, lds-authors
The more I think about this book, the less sure I am that I liked it. All that talk of eating reavers and drinking blood just makes me feel a little bit ill. And it just took so long for everything to happen. I can't believe the entire book took place over the course of about a week. I didn't really like the way that Farland organized the book. I always had to backtrack whenever I got to a new character, and that is not only annoying, but also a bit confusing.

However, because I am such an avid r
This book tired me a little. It is a compeling story, about caring characters, but it suffers from the typical illness of epic fantasy: nothing happens for 500 pages, until the bombastic, epic battle climax. Truly, this novel could be a couple of hundred pages leaner.

Those are my only complaints, though. As a sequel to «The sum of all men», this volume lives up to its task. David Farland delivers a satisfying story and cleverly brings forth a host of new characters, and he gives life to each an

I enjoy the writing in this book, though the more I read the more flaws I feel I find. The way that the forcibles seem to lack credibility and the method that they seem to work, just doesn't feel right. When the idea was first brought in I really like it, but now as I read more into it, much of it seems to lack planning, as if he wanted to change how it works.
Now I will forgive him a good deal on it as it was brought in the the authors first fantasy novel, which means he may have thought it up b
If I could give this book a 7/10 I would but I'm rounding up since I think the lower rating is partly my fault. I didn't like this book as much as the first one, which I gave a 5/5, and I guess it's because the first one opened a whole new world for me and I feel this one just took longer to get anywhere. You know there's a final battle that's going to happen but you have to read through 400+ pages of people talking and plotting first and now that this world is open to me I was kind of bored at ...more
Book two is still one of the better fantasy series out there because it struggles to avoid the cliches of the genre. It still fails. It also violates a few other rules of writing, for example:

Rule #38a: If your book goes over 500 pages and your name is not Leo Tolstoy, make it smaller.

Rule #38b: If your trilogy goes over 3 books, make it smaller.

Rule #48: If you are a really good writer, than you are permitted to bring _at_most_ a single character back from the dead in a series (c.f. J.R.R.Tolki
This book has a lot of neat ideas. The author has developed a very interesting world and some decent characters. The only thing I find is that the first third of his books seems to be very slow reads. They are enjoyable, and really quite distinct in the world of fantasy.

I'd have to agree with another commentor who mentioned the disparity in how fighting a certain creature is handled. It seems a herculean task in the beginning of the book and at the end, far easier. (not easy, but not nearly as t
It seems that both The Earth King and The Wolf Lord have a common enemy: The Reavers - strange, 16-ton insects which live underground. As The Reavers attack both kingdoms, Raj Ahten besieges the strategic location of Carris - only to be besieged by Reavers himself.
Another fine book, which focuses on the strengths and limitations of its characters. Whilst there are battle scenes with thousands of men dying, it is the personal conflicts which the protagonists must overcome. And, at the end of the
The war between Orden and Raj Ahten continues. Orden has been designated the Earth King, and the Earth is aiding him, while Raj Ahten attempts to draw Orden into battle. But yet a new, unstoppable threat is taking form, requiring perhaps otherwise unthinkable acts.

The story is pretty engrossing--I really want to find out what happens. But the author has an irritating habit of explaining in great detail the internal logic of each of the major (and some minor!) characters. It's kind of disruptive
This book was the second in the series. It started slow but in the end I couldnt put it down. I really liked how the characters where put in difficult situations and had to make tough choices. I have read where some say the book is all about endowments, but some of the characters have none when doing extraordinary tasks, ie Merima, Borenson, Bennisman, Gaborn, etc., so the argument over endowments is not accurate. I actually like the runelords with their endowments, very neat idea to me.
The last 3 pages were stupid...

I want to smack Gaborn's wife.

I think the very fact that you say something to the effect of I will save the people and then manage to get a force warrior killed haveing pulled about 80 people out when your husband said just the night before 1 force warrior = 400 people is kind of a defeat but it never crosses the stupid girls mind.

Also Rah Ahten is a pathetic little whiny girl.
The editing in these Runelords books is atrocious. There are all kinds of misplaced words, with the end of sentences being cut off and completely relocated to the wrong paragraph.

BUT, the story is fantastic. The concept of endowments is unique and the way that system can be used/exploited introduces all kinds of questions about morality.

Despite the terrible editing, I will be reading this entire series.
Scott Cook
I read an accurate description about this series on a site talking about an upcoming Runelords movie and this quote pretty much sums it up: "Some have called it the "crack cocaine" of heroic fantasy, combining the world creation and artistic sensibilities of Lord of the Rings with the heart-pounding action and sense of wonder of the Matrix". I loved the random green woman that falls from the sky in this book.
Anita Potter
I finished reading this yesterday and wasn't really impressed by it. The author through the whole thing kept repeating certain things over and over again like I would've forgotten what was said five pages back.

I also felt no connection to the characters though I'm not really sure if it was the writing or just me. Also whomever did the typesetting on this thing messed up. Reading through the reviews a lot were saying it was over 600 pages while my copy was slightly under 500 so I don't know if th
Nov 19, 2009 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Finally finished this book earlier this year.. What I do like about the book is how uncoventional it continues to be in terms of its approach to the fantasy genre.
A runelord is able to take attributes from another like stamina, voice, beauty, etc... to increase hi/her own abilities. It is a neat concept and I think later there will be a fine line between heroes/villians.
Eric Edstrom
I really liked this one. I've read some negative reviews that nothing happens for the first 500 pages, but I disagree. There is a lot of setup work, but I found it all moved along at a good clip. I'm particularly intrigue with the girl Averan.

I'm going to take a one-book break from this series and then dive into book 3!
Vincent Riddle
4.5 stars.

Gaborn Val Orden, now the Earth King, must decide how to confront the ongoing threat of Raj Ahten, who seeks to become the Sum of All Men and rule the lands of the north. Ahten, however, has lost his valuable stash of blood-metal forcibles and, believing they have been taken south, attempts to goad Gaborn into a confrontation in the southern kingdom of Mystarria. But there is an even greater menace on the horizon--the Reavers. And to face their vicious hordes, we learn why the Earth ha
Bryan Landress
An epic novel that shows the growth of many of the characters in new and unexpected ways. The addition of characters help to broaden the story and add new twists and possibilities to this growing series. The battles feel overbearingly powerful and truly shape the world that Farland has unveiled.
Jack Jr.
Two words; Loved it!
Continuing my reread of this series, I still agree with my earlier assessment of three stars. This book suffered a bit from jumping between too many POV characters (at least seven in a book less than 600 pages long) and from a somewhat bizarre and ultimately meaningless sideplot involving Borenson and one of Raj Ahten's concubines. Still, the reavers make an impressive and well-realized enemy, the action is visceral and exciting, and the book is overall fairly well-written and engaging.

Of cours
Scott Lee
I marked the first four Rune Lords books back in the day--when I first got an account on Good Reads years ago. I've been re-reading (well, listening technically) to these books again recently. Starting with book one, The Sum of All Men, and now having finished volume ii The Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Farland writes wonderful epic fantasy, although he deserves more credit than he's given for writing a dark and rather brutal world, more in-line with today's George R.R. Martin flavored fantasy than t
A spectacular sequel that promises much to come, for a truly ambitious series of outstanding scope!

Brotherhood of the Wolf is the second installment within the magnificent Runelords series, which exceeds all expectations with its complexity of plot and depth. Exquisite storytelling that is so absorbing and compelling, David Farland puts the ‘epic’ in fantasy with his remarkable and totally original creation. Detailed, realistic and cleverly crafted the scope of world-building is just astonishin
This book was more of what we found in the first book but with an even stronger emphasis on endowments, to the point of being silly, which I felt the first book was already too reliant on. We see some new monsters here; big scary 20 ton beetles (called Reavers) the size of elephants that swing swords and clubs that weigh 800 pounds along with mage Reavers and even a super nasty Fell Mage Reaver that must be dealt with.

I do have to say though, that all ridicule aside, I did like the Fell Mage's p
getting to enjoy the story and the earth king but i hate that there is so much killing and wars, would love to see a bit more magic and maybe love in the story!!looking forward to see how the story unfolds in the 3rd book in the series!!
I guess the novelty wore off and it is one from many fantasy books, still good enough, but nothing special.
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • Rules of Ascension (Winds of the Forelands, #1)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland...

The Runelords (9 books)
  • The Runelords (Runelords #1)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)
  • A Tale of Tales (Runelords, #9)
The Runelords (Runelords #1) Wizardborn (Runelords, #3) The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4) Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5) Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)