Start by marking “Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, #1)

Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,696 Ratings  ·  1,394 Reviews
Since the dawn of time, the Faerie have taken. . . .

For seventeen-year-old actress Kelley Winslow, faeries are just something from childhood stories. Then she meets Sonny Flannery, whose steel-gray eyes mask an equally steely determination to protect her.

Sonny guards the Samhain Gate, which connects the mortal realm with the Faerie's enchanted, dangerous Otherworld. Usuall
ebook, 1st Edition, 352 pages
Published December 23rd 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Wondrous Strange, please sign up.

G.L. Morrison In no way does this read like bad fan fiction, it does however fall into the inevitable tropes of romance novels in which the characters make…moreIn no way does this read like bad fan fiction, it does however fall into the inevitable tropes of romance novels in which the characters make supposedly romantic sacrifices that make it impossible to continue to empathize or suspend disbelief. I hate, hate, hate when the primary conflict is derived from misunderstandings and stupid choices. Particularly when the world is filled with unlimited magical possibility, it's just laziness to rely on this "tradition". (less)

Michelle
Feb 10, 2009 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have two comments to make on this book:

1. There is a character named Tyffanwy. No, my typing has not, in fact, developed a lisp, it is the truth.

2. During a scene in which a full-grown man is sitting on a little wooden painted pony on a carousel, the following description appears: "Kelley stared at Sonny, who sat easily on his mount, like a knight in shining armor on the back of his charger" (page 181).

And then I threw up, and that was the end of that.
Kristi
Nov 27, 2008 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, own-arc
I think I’ve wrote and then rewrote this review about a hundred times now! And I know it’s going to come across one way, and that’s just how it’s going to have to be, because I simply cannot write it any other way. So here is goes... fangirly-ness and all. I hope you last through it.

I loved it, I LOVED it. I love it so much I want to marry it. If you are a fan of faerie books, you’ll want to read this one. If you’ve tried faerie books before, but didn’t like them, you’ll want to read this. If yo
Marcy Jo
Wondrous Strange is one of those gems that I stumbled across completely by accident. I was in the book store looking to grab the second book in the BIFN series and of course I had to spend some time browsing while I was there. The cover of this book (gorgeous yes?) caught my attention, as did the title. Both of them put me in mind of "Wicked Lovely."

It was too much to resist. Without even reading the inside flap, I grabbed the book and headed to the register. This was a fortuitous happening.

I'
Alethea A
Jan 02, 2009 Alethea A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: faerie-lovers, romantics, and wannabe princesses everywhere
Recommended to Alethea by: the book cover faerie!
Always choose a book by its cover... ahem.

First, a disclaimer! I liked this book. Despite what I am about to say next.

Definitely better written and far less angsty than Wicked Lovely, somewhat lacking in the descriptive area (esp. in comparison to the Marillier I just read--Wildwood Dancing) but the story ties up nicely and the characters are amusing. It was more humorous than I expected, which was good. It was less dramatic than I expected, which was not so good. (I know, ambiguous, huh? I exp
Audrey
I see that most people seem to have really liked this book, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. It felt very flat and predictable. I would have liked to have had a sense that there was real danger at hand, but the writing lacked the necessary tension to pull off the New York City apocalypse scenario. (See: The City's End Two Centuries of Fantasies, Fears, and Premonitions of New York's Destruction) I generally really enjoy books like this, but it just didn't draw me in. I love the cover art, ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Story Siren for TeensReadToo.com

I loved it, I LOVED it. I love it so much I want to marry it. If you are a fan of faerie books, you'll want to read this one. If you've tried faerie books before, but didn't like them, you'll want to read this. If you aren't a fan of faerie books, you'll still want to read it. It's that good.

Incredible characters, incredible writing, incredible plot. It was really just so fantastic, it's hard to find the words to describe it. I never in a million
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Wondrous Strange to me offered a very clever, very interesting amount of mythology and folklore to explain the faerie world. This is particularly interesting because the entire story takes place in New York City - the "Otherworld," as it is known, is only referenced.
There's something in particular that I found really neat: So often in faerie fiction, you hear the same things over and over: Seelie/Unseelie, Winter & Summer Courts. Well, those concepts are all here, but Livingston brings more
Laurel
*Slight spoilers*

I write this review as I stare at my Pretty Pretty Princess board game.

Why?

Because this book makes me wish I was a ginger fairy princess myself, so that I could take Kelley's place and think rationally rather than try to save a half-ton horse, especially when it's a kelpie and trying to kill me so it can eat me. Or try to prevent hypothermia by taking the hottest shower ever. THAT'LL help me...

I got to page 80 something, and I just couldn't kid myself, I was bored out of my fuck
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
At seventeen, Kelley Winslow has finished school and moved to New York to pursue a career on the stage. Being promoted to understudy for Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream is a dream come true; when the actress playing Titania has to pull out and Kelley is given the role, it's so much, so suddenly, she's terrified and messes up all her lines. She finds a quiet spot in Central Park to practice, and it's there that she meets Sonny Flannery.

Sonny is a stolen child in Auberon's Fae realm, now serv
Khanh (the Grinch)
Unreadably bad.

If I found a fairy horse in my bathtub, I'd call animal control. Come on, you're mature enough to move to NYC on your own and make a living as an actress but you don't know how to call the police?

It probably didn't help the book that the main love interest's name is Sonny, and when I think of Sonny, I think of an annoying, chubby little boy in 4th grade who annoyed the f*** out of me.
Anne Osterlund
May 23, 2011 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelley is an actress. Well, actually more of an understudy/glorified stagehand, but when the person playing the faerie queen breaks an ankle it’s . . . show time! Or more accurately time for Kelley to forget half her lines and stomp off to Central Park for some serious rehearsal AKA self-reproachment.

Which results in . . .
A. Kelley receiving a rose from “the mysterious good-looking guy” (whose real name is Sonny, and who is actually a changeling human in charge of guarding the gate to faerie and
Cecelia
Apr 18, 2009 Cecelia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly Derting
I got this one for Christmas...YAY!!!
Jilly
Jun 30, 2015 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a Shakespeare lover would help with this book. That's not really me. I mean, I like Midsummer Night's Dream, but actors, especially theater people who do Shakespeare are annoying as hell. I was born and raised in L.A., every other person I knew in my twenties was an actor. Most of them are fine, unless they are in character, but this brand, the Renaissance festival folks...ugh!

My next gripe is the love interest guy's first name is Sonny. Really? My dog's name is Sunny - a big yellow lab. I
Mike (the Paladin)
The rating is a gift, I know it's a book certain people will really enjoy. I didn't finish it. I didn't care for the way it was written, the tone nor the way the story was laid out. I suppose it might be that I'm just too old, too male, and too well read.

Please enjoy this if it's your cup of tea...or fairy wine. It's not mine. I have a long to be read list and I really wasn't enjoying this, so please my "friends" who have enjoyed this series, don't hold it against me...I just didn't care for it
Amy
Feb 28, 2010 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was hilarious but in a bad way. intrigued me because it was a modern take on shakespeare's a midsummer night's dream but it was so poorly written and executed that it had me laughing at it's sheer stupidity. ashamed to say i finished it. dialogue could've been written by a 12 year old.
Erica (daydreamer)
Wow. This book was really good. Lesley did an incredible job at creating a magical fay story based on a Midsummer Night’s Dream. It was fantastic. The writing was beautifully done- it pulled me in from the beginning. I had a hard time putting the book down.

The characters were amazing. Kelley was perfect. I loved that she would not believe Sonny about what he was trying to tell her. She would have none of it, convinced that Sonny was stalking her, which any woman in her right mind would think abo
Katie
Aug 10, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Wondrous Strange was a magical mix of fun and adventure. With every faerie story I’ve read, it’s either been strictly intense or dolled up, but I love that Lesley Livingston found a happy medium.

Kelley is probably one of my favorite literary characters of all time. She’s snarky, sarcastic and strong, and she doesn’t let the sudden intrusion of powerful faeries into her life get her down. Her stubborn but highly entertaining attitude stayed in check throughout the entire novel, and I loved every
Heather
Reading Sarah
The UHQ Nasanta
It had such promise, and it disappointed.

The premise intrigued, but the writing was flat and immature. The characters were two dimensional, not well developed, and did not grow. Questions were left unanswered, certain plot developments were glossed over, and there was a serious lack of character introspection, which would have given the book more depth.

The romance was poorly written. It seemed as if one moment they are somewhat friendly strangers, and the next in love. It also suffered from a
M. Kay
Jul 25, 2012 M. Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey! Hey there! What a wondrously strange book! And I do mean that in a good way! I have never read A Midsummer's Night Dream, as I am not a big reader of the classics. However, the allusions in Wondrous Strange to Shakespeare's play makes me want to pick up a copy and see what I've been missing. Meaning Livingston did a great job making her characters and world come to life.

Of course by now I've read several books about the Fair Folk, but this one for me, stands out among the rest. That may hav
Alexandria
Jan 30, 2009 Alexandria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fairytales, romance, and the paranormal
Recommended to Alexandria by: I stumbled across it in Barnes N Noble
Tammie
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Wondrous Strange. The main character Kelly was brave and spunky, but not so much so that she lost her femininity. It was romantic without being over the top and it had an element of innocence to it that I loved. There was also humor in there that was a nice surprise. As soon as she found the horse in her bathroom I was hooked. I also loved how A Midsummer Night’s Dream was woven into the plot.
Malene
"Det gale bæst svingede sit bisonstore hoved i Kelleys retning og fæstnede sine røde øjne på hende. De savlende kæber åbnede sig ufatteligt meget..."

Jeg elsker feuniverset og selvom jeg ikke var helt væk i 'En Skærsommernatsdrøm', så nyder jeg virkelig at læse historier, der er inspireret af Shakespeares stykke.
Historien om Kelley er ingen undtagelse - igen mødtes jeg med Oberon, Titiana, Puk og alle dem omkring dem, hvilket var et interessant og underholdende gensyn.

I bogen følger vi skiftevi
Jeanine
Oct 01, 2011 Jeanine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me awhile to get around to starting the Wondrous Strange series and thanks to my friend Michele, (Hey, Michele ;)), I was shoved in the right direction.

Wondrous Strange is the second Faery novel I've read that is based on the characters from William Shakespears "A Midsummer Nights Dream." The Iron Fey series was the first and I was convinced that nothing could compete with it... but I was wrong.

Kelley is a 17-year-old girl living in the city and trying to get a jump-start on her a
Faye
Jan 24, 2010 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wondrous Strange is captivating, beautifully written, and just a great book!I love Fairy books:D For me, this is one of my favorite books!!

Loved Livingston's writing, I was completely captivated and starstruck by the story and characters*Sonny*The characters come to life, they had that umph! .Kelley is an actress. She is an awesome female protagonist. I was instantly drawn to her character. She’s honest, she imperfect, and she's just real/ i could definitely relate to her.Now...Sonny..hmm..where
Kelley Anne
Feb 19, 2010 Kelley Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I just finished reading Wondrous Strange. It was pretty good. I'd probably give it 3 - 3 1/2 stars. I had to read this book when I saw that the main character's name was Kelley, and she even spelled it the same as me! I know that may seem funny to some, but when you have a rather common name like Kelley, but never see it spelled the same way that you do, it's fun when you can find it!

The main character in this story is an actress in New York City. One day while walking through Central Park, she
Marija
*3.5 stars*

Not quite sure how to rate this book. On the one hand it’s better than some of the young adult fantasies that I gave three stars to, but it’s not as good as some of the books I gave four stars. It’s a cute book, a good light read…a simple story not too overcomplicated with crazy situations, the focus is more on character development. In that way it reminds me of the old L.J. Smith novels.

There is the Shakespeare connection here as well. Besides the obvious connection, that being Kell
Crowinator
When I received this to review, I thought, ah yes, yet another teenage girl finds out she is a faerie princess and must come to terms with this other life in addition to defeating someone who Knows The Truth and is Out To Get Her. With all the teenage girls discovering their hidden faerie roots, it's a surprise that there are any normal girls left. (They're all off becoming vampires, probably.) Even more of a surprise, I ended up really liking this book. Kelley is attempting to make her stage ca ...more
  • The Enchanted Quest (Faerie Path, #5)
  • Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)
  • Bitter Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1)
  • Knife (Faery Rebels, #1)
  • Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)
  • Fairy Tale
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)
  • Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1)
  • Why I Let My Hair Grow Out (Morgan Rawlinson, #1)
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • Sea Change
  • The Summer King (The Chronicles of Faerie, #2)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)

Wondrous Strange (3 books)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)

“Kelley. Your name is Kelley, isn't it?" He didn't wait for her confirmation. "Yes. Well. Tell me...that bit just now...was that from Dante's Inferno?"
Uh...no," Kelley stammered. Her face felt hot.
Really?"
I'm in for it.
Are you sure?" he continued. "Because it most certainly wasn't from this play. And it bloody well sounded like hell.”
56 likes
“Believe me, Kelley. If I’m not…it’s because I’m already dead.” He stroked her hair, and she could feel his breath warm on her forehead, like a kiss. “Because anyone that would seek to hurt you would have to kill me first.” 52 likes