Start by marking “Architecture: Form, Space, & Order” as Want to Read:
Architecture: Form, Space, & Order

Architecture: Form, Space, & Order

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  2,529 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Free Shipping if order value from the seller is greater than 399. Used Book in good condition. No missing/ torn pages. No stains. Note: The above used product classification has been solely undertaken by the seller. Amazon shall neither be liable nor responsible for any used product classification undertaken by the seller. A-to-Z Guarantee not applicable on used products.
Published December 18th 1995 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1979)

Anastasia
Εξαιρετικό εγχειρίδιο αρχιτεκτονικής, η παράθεση πολλών σκίτσων καθιστά την ανάγνωση πιο ευχάριστη και το κείμενο πιο κατανοητό. Μελετά και πραγματεύεται τη μορφή, το χώρο, το ρυθμό, τις κινήσεις...ακόμη και την απλή γεωμετρία της γραμμής, του επιπέδου και του όγκου από πολλαπλές πλευρές και αποκαλύπτει εργαλεία και εκφάνσεις της αρχιτεκτονικής που δεν διαπιστώνονται εύκολα, κυρίως στους μη-σχετικούς με τον αρχιτεκτονικό τομέα. Λόγω του απλού, λιτού και περιγραφικού του λόγου είναι ιδανικό για φ ...more
Satitiwikan sunowo
Sep 18, 2007 Satitiwikan sunowo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ihavereadit
never aclaimed that you know or ever learning architecture if you never read...i mean really read this book. this book is like the first book to every architect or architact student in the world.

a very nice book with alot of sketch that visually fun to read. easyly understood. and it become the stong influence to all the architect hand writings. i should say this book is a legendary book
ali KDM
Feb 03, 2014 ali KDM rated it did not like it
I have read both ching books and lawson books about architecture and design. of course they look at their field from their own perspective; but there is something odd about them. ching's books look like more practical and lawson's look so theorical. but when you get to design something, it turns out you may use what you read in lawson's books more often!
I cannot make a connection between designing and what ching says in his books. you can introduce architecture and design to non-architects and n
Zoha Trabelsi
An excellent introduction of explaining the principals of architechture, the basic elements of architecture, and a perspective of the building and other elements surrounding it, wih sketches and quotes about architecture.

Very simple, easy to read. Highly recommended for all architecture students.

it was useful during my second semester of architecture. <3
Don
Jun 22, 2008 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Architecture: Form, Space, & Order serves as an excellent introduction to architectural design. Ching starts with the most basic elements of geometry--points, lines, planes, volumes--and demonstrates how they can be combined and organized to create architectural forms. The book is composed mostly of illustrations with short sections of text. Each topic is introduced, discussed, and illustrated with both simple drawings and schematics along with renderings of famous architectural landmarks th ...more
Lauren
May 21, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
I cannot be objective about this book. It was my first introduction to architectural form and my first college text book. The drawings made me want to work harder and become a better designer. It might be a novel perusal for someone with a strong interest in architecture, but probably won't be that interesting to those outside the profession.
Shannon
Aug 22, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: architecture
Gorgeous illustrations, very clear concepts... Love this book. One of the best design resources still available to architects and designers.
Aya Zahran
Mar 02, 2012 Aya Zahran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your guide to Architecture 101. Simple and clear with a lot of examples.

It was a big help for my projects.
Nima ُShoa
Sep 11, 2014 Nima ُShoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
آموزش زبان معماري و دنياي مفاهيم و اصول مقدماتي آن به همراه تصاويري عالي كه حتي خواننده ي عادي را هم جذب كتاب مي كند.
كتاب در عين سادگي، فوق العاده است و همانند يك كلاس آموزشي تمام عيار عمل مي كند.
Tim
Jun 08, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tim by: Dr. Lee Gray
Shelves: design
This book was recommended to my by a former professor and friend, Dr. Lee Gray, after I told him that I wanted to gain a basic understand of design before I read some of the other books that are on my 'design' shelf. 'Architecture: Form, Space and Order' by Francis D.K. Ching is the perfect introduction to design. Ching walks the reader through elementary design concepts starting with points and lines, and ending with hierarchy and datum as methods of order. For someone with no prior knowledge o ...more
Alina
Jan 24, 2013 Alina rated it it was amazing
I first had this book assigned for my first Design Workshop, I had to copy the diagrams and sketches. Since then I have always browsed it's pages for inspiration, or leisure, anyway I always learn something new. One can never actually be done reading this book. It's excellent for architecture students, and some "long-time architects" ought to take a look at it too.

Every chapter goes from a simple concept to it's complex application on a building, it reviews architecture from Mesopotamia to Louis
Kast
Mar 18, 2011 Kast rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, architecture
even though the first time the book seems really useless regarding learning about fundamentals of points ,line and architecture principals.Then, after having lots of studio works and design classes .its somehow helping me to describe , to know , to talk about what architecture should take .Its an enlightenment from become a carpenter . but seriously i'm enjoying all the dk ching sketches .
Nonna
Jun 25, 2010 Nonna rated it it was amazing
ahh..buku ini..pernah saya hafal setiap lembar isi buku ini.di setiap tugas saya pasti membuka buku ini sebagai preseden.terlebih ketika masa-masa tugas akhir.sekali lagi,saya tahu bagian apa di halaman apa.panduan bentuk dan tata ruang arsitektur paling mujarab.walau saya hanya memiliki fotokopiannya,tapi tetap buku ini menjadi buku paling favorit untuk saya mengerjakan tugas-tugas kuliah dulu bahkan sekarang ketika saya sudah bekerja.
Alex Ott
May 15, 2010 Alex Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-pbook
Very interesting book - it provides information about basic blocks of architecture, and I think it's good base for the next book in my reading list: A Global History of Architecture
Arif
Aug 08, 2014 Arif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Architecture is really hard to understand,when it comes to the basics,it might be even more difficult to understand.But thanks to the author he made it so easy to understand.I learned a lot from this book.Every student in the field of design should read this book.
Mohamedabdellatif
Mar 31, 2015 Mohamedabdellatif rated it it was amazing
In brief, Ching was a genius guy !
thank you for your writings Mr-Ching ^^
boya :D
Mohammad Fahmi
THIS IS A BEST BOOK TO LEARN AN BECOME AN ARCHITECT...:)
H
Apr 16, 2010 H is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The technical drawings are fantastic.
Pei
Sep 18, 2007 Pei rated it it was amazing
when are you truly done reading this?!?!
Omar Jimenez
May 16, 2015 Omar Jimenez rated it really liked it
Great book, if you are starting to study architecture, you need to read this right away...
♫ ♪ nOUsha ♫ ♪
Mar 21, 2011 ♫ ♪ nOUsha ♫ ♪ rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books..by DK Ching..
Robert
Mar 05, 2017 Robert rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic work by a masterful author/student of architecture. It stays on my desk with its brethren, tattered and worn with exhaustive use.
Nicholas
Jul 26, 2013 Nicholas rated it really liked it
A good introduction to Form, Space and Order in Terms of Architecture. I re-read this book because the Professor of the Online "Introduction to Architecture" Class spread the class out too far and ended up cramming half of the course into the last two weeks. What a doozy that was.

I decided to re-read it in order to get the full gist of what the Author was trying to get across.

Recommended.
Audee Mirza
Nov 24, 2013 Audee Mirza rated it really liked it
I found out about Frank Ching's blog on one of Urban Sketchers's workshop articles and his drawings on his blog post reminds me to the book!
It's a great architecture book!

Eryani N. Yulita
Mar 01, 2012 Eryani N. Yulita rated it it was ok
Shelves: architecture
Yeah, this book is a must-have reference textbook for architecture student. I remember i need to bring this book almost everyday in design-classes, especially in my first year of college. I even almost getting bored with the book because usually architecture books have a lot of images inside, but inside this book.... a bunch of theoretical context ˆˆ
Anca Muresan
Jan 30, 2013 Anca Muresan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book formed an abstract structure for all my previous knowledge on architecture. While a great tool for architects, it is also a book to come to whenever feeling a little bit dreamy or wanting to be in touch with a visual, yet psychological view on architecture.
Kezia Paramita
Jan 10, 2008 Kezia Paramita rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: semua arsitek yang baru menjejakkan kaki di bangku perkuliahan
Recommended to Kezia Paramita by: om djon-sardjono hadidjojo
manstab abis

alkitabnya mr itut >wkwk

this is a piece of heaven handy sketch, marvellous, how many world's architecture is re-drawn, n how to present it all..

dasar2 arsitektur jg ada disini

in other word, this book is also the bible of mine ,, one for all
Ezekiel
Nov 02, 2012 Ezekiel rated it really liked it
A must have for Architecture students, or even enthusiasts. I would love to have a copy for my own, because, technically, you'll never be 'finished' with this book; this is something that I personally have been meaning to browse and study again.
Reichart
Dec 04, 2013 Reichart rated it liked it
Amazing artist. But, I always feel like it is an artist who badly needs a writer, but wants to work alone.

In other words, he uses words the way a writer uses clip art.

That said, it is worth having a copy on the shelf sometimes.
Ali Moustafa
  • Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture
  • The Ten Books on Architecture
  • 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School
  • Architects' Data
  • Towards a New Architecture (Dover Architecture)
  • The Architecture of the City
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • Color Drawing: Design Drawing Skills and Techniques for Architects, Landscape Architects, and Interior Designers
  • S, M, L, XL
  • A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals
  • Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
  • The Four Books of Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Frank (Francis D. K.) Ching (born 1943) is a widely recognized author of books addressing architectural and design graphics. Ching's books have been widely influential and continue to shape the visual language of all fields of design. He is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Washington.
More about Francis D.K. Ching...

“In architecture volume can be seen to be either a portion of space contained and defined by wall, floor and ceiling or roof planes or a quantity of space displaced by the mass of the building.” 8 likes