Flint

Flint

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,532 ratings  ·  90 reviews
He left the West at the age of seventeen, leaving behind a rootless past and a bloody trail of violence. In the East he became one of the wealthiest financiers in America--and one of the most feared and hated.
Now, suffering from incurable cancer, he has come back to New Mexico to die alone. But when an all-out range war erupts, Flint chooses to help Nancy Kerrigan, a loca...more
Published January 1st 1985 by Perfection Learning (first published November 1960)

Lynda
As a child I used to love gathering around the TV with my family watching such classic westerns as Gunsmoke, The Virginian, and Bonanza (so totally smitten was I with Little Joe (aka Michael Landon)). All of these were considered atypical westerns for their time, as the core of the storylines dealt less about the range but more about family, how they cared for one another, their neighbors, and just causes.

As much as I loved the TV shows, I'd never actually 'read' a western. Several of my friend...more
Jeanette
Most of these Louis L'Amour westerns are like Pringles in print. Salty, crunchy, and virtually identical. But they're fun to eat, and once in awhile you get a hankerin'...
Daren Doucet
A life threatening illness makes Mr. Kettleman leave his wife and business affairs to head back out west. He is looking for a place to die, but soon finds out that he is soon to be hauled into a new conflict.

A conflict in which he is not sure he maybe able to finish.

A great book, great writings and musings about what this man called "Flint" all stands for. A true western that is hard to put down.
Rachel
My favorite L'Amour book ever. I think I've read it 4 times. When I was a kid it appealed to my sense of adventure, the smart woman, the mysterious man who is wise and silent. Now I enjoy it because it showcases the many different types of people in the world all around us. And yes because of the awesomness of the man called Flint.
Jim
Whatever happened to The Western? Superceded by modern crime writing, no doubt.
This was a real return to form from the last novel I tried by Louis L'Amour (The Haunted Mesa), which I think he must have written in his dotage. This was a traditional, classic Western, and I enjoyed the portrayal of the scenery, the lava strewn mesas, the endless blue skies, the scent of the sage as your horse keeps you company in the painted desert, combining with the real men, the real Western girls who you admir...more
Jeffreyreadsbooks Krachun
I had a roommate in law school who read Louis L'Amour books. Apparently, my uncle Skip read them too. This guy has written HUNDREDS of books, all about cowboys.

This was my first. It is about a man with no family who was taken in by a lone gunman when he was a boy and watched that same man gunned down ten years later. He became a great gunman and prizefighter, went east and became as wealthy as Rockefeller, married a woman who tried to have him killed, and was diagnosed with cancer. Now, he retur...more
Karina
It was alright. My problem with this author is my head screams for more development. I leave his books frustrated because of his lack of finesse. Good stories that could be so much more with a bit more work. It's like only the facts maam, and some are just stated like truths that don't feel true. Just because It's stated doesn't make it so. A flag waves in my head, but there is no convincing evidence why things are the way the author said they are. But I guess to crank them out as many as there...more
Mrs. G's Reading Literature
Flint is a historical fiction book by Louis Lamour. It is about a man who goes west to die because a doctor told him he has cancer, and his wife tried to cheat him and have him killed. The man's name is James T. Kettlemen, also known as Jim Flint.
Flint is very good with a gun. He uses it to protect a girl named Nancy Kerrigan, a rancher, from a man trying to steal the ranch and sell it for a large profit.
One thing I like about this book is that it is filled with action and excitement. There...more
Kelley
I promised my husband that I would let him choose my next book, and of course, he chose a Louis L'Amour. I'm glad he did. I had a blast reading it. I loved Flint. I think it's my favorite L'Amour book so far. He's amazingly tough and also smart (handsome too!) I liked many of the characters and loved all the sub-plots, flashbacks, etc. It's a very engaging reading from the first page on. In fact, I stayed up late and woke up early so that I could finish it in a day or two.
Brandy
Oct 10, 2009 Brandy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandy by: Battle of the Books
I'm glad I read a Louis L'Amour. I'm not a Western fan, but L'Amour is the guru of Western writing. I really liked Flint, the main character. He grew, changed, yet remained the same hard western man. I did not like how L'Amour shifts from one character or place to another. He switches without any transition or movement. Suddenly you are somewhere else. I also really liked the gun fights; Flint is one tough dude. He just shoots and he's not afraid of anything, including dying.
Sherene Levert
I was around eleven years old and bored. All my Dad had were history books and westerns so I randomly picked out this one. I have to say that this book started my true love of reading. The scenery was amazing. The writing took my young imagination to places that before reading this book I didn't know was possible. For that alone this book gets 5 stars. This book is a true western but you don't have to be a fan of western novels to enjoy it
Cora
Absolutely a delightful story that provides great escape with just enough intrigue to make the pages turn. The underlying concept in this story is the question of what the character will do with six months to live.

I couldn't put this one down until it was finished. I love the western genre because it makes such great use of archetypes and chivalry. This is an excellent example of L'Amour's storytelling ability.
Mandi Ellsworth
This was a twist on a Louis L'Amour classic. This man actually made a name for himself in the East before heading out West. Turns out, though, that he went went because he was dying and wanted a place to die in peace. The West was not the place for Flint to find peace.

As with every L'Amour story, this one pulled me in and kept me there all the way through.
Kevin
Everyone has their favorite Louis Lamour story. The Sacketts and nearly anything with Kilkenny just suck me in. Kerbouchard and the Walking Drum. Jeez. The man could write. In the end, you gotta go with the classics though. How many times as a kid did I wonder what exactly was the power that L.L. had over my father, and then.... Flint.
Good times.
Carol Snow
One of the best westerns ever written. About a wealthy eastern man whose wife and father-in-law (who know nothing of his past as an outlaw)try to kill him. Learning from his doctor that he is dying anyway, he sells off his investments, disapears, and heads to a hideout in the desert where he expects to spend his last few months.
Everet Seeley
Another favorite book by Americas greatest Western writer. A fast paced hard hitting story of a wealthy financier (James T. Kettleman) suffering uncurable cancer who heads West to die alone, but gets tied up in a range war and decides to use his wealth and his gun to help save a local rancher (Nancy Kerrigan).
Tyler Cole
Many of Louis L'Amour's characters are rugged, intelligent, confident men in their prim that try to avoid trouble but trouble always finds them. I never get tired of reading L'Amour's stories with this kind of scenario. Flint is no exception and could very well be one of the best of its kind.
Hal Hancock
My stepfather populated a 3 foot shelf of L'Amour books, and so I read them all. Flint stood out as the best, and that's saying something, as L'Amour was good in all his short novels.
Dennis
This is my first outing with Louis L'Amour. His reputation as a captivating storyteller is well deserved. Flint tells of James Kettleman, eastern financier who comes to New Mexico to die. There he meets Nancy Kerrigan, "lady boss" of the Kaybar Ranch. Kettleman, going incognito as "Flint," gets caught up in a western brawl of thug types who wear black hats. Porter Baldwin and his gang are intent on a scheme to defraud settlers of title to their lands. But he does so by roughing up anyone who mig...more
Vali
This was a great read, so much different from so many other L'amour books I've read. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed reading a dozen of his stories and I've learned a lot, from a writer's point of view. But I consider most of his work to be literary twinkies - they taste great but they're not all that nourishing. However, with Flint, we finally find a main character different from all the others, a terminally-ill misanthrope with a bad attitude. The man made his fortune by being left alone, and...more
Andrea
Flint is a true western novel. It is about a man who returns to the west to die and ends up in the middle of a "turf war."

Louis L'Amour's writing is well done with vivid descriptions of the characters and scenery that make you feel like you are pulled into the story itself. One reason I truly enjoy L'Amour's writing is because he delivers a great story without unnecessary filler/fluff.

This book was an easy read but it is an enjoyable one. It is perfect for any one who wants a good, authentic w...more
Addie
I liked this book a lot. I would recommend this book to mostly boys, but it wouldn't be bad for girls. I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought that it was kind of confusing at the beginning. But if you keep reading the story line starts to straighten out. I would give this book 4 1/2 stars. I wouldn't give it five stars because it was an easy read.
Monty
This is the first Louis L'Amour book I've read and am eager to read more. He is a great storyteller. This book had multiple subplots (such as a terminal cancer diagnosis, flashbacks to Flint's origins, boxing, rock climbing, breaking horses, sizing people up, and so on), all of which were tied together by the end. Yes, Flint is quite a man, but he is not chauvinistic. The main female character is a positive, strong person who knows what she wants. There is shooting, fighting and killing as well...more
Jake Jarvi
I've always wanted to read a Louis L'Amour book, because I feel like I've encountered so much influenced by him. I had been re-reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King and really feeling kind of Old West'y when I saw an old bus station paperback of Flint in a 25 cent bin, I just figured what better time?

I really dug it. After a slow start, I came to really appreciate being tethered to such a no-nonsense main character. He was straight forward, capable, and hardcore. All the Old West staples. Once...more
Alex Church
I really think that I liked this book much more than those describing Milo Talon's stories. Flint was just a regular boy in the West, then he moved out East, and became a wealthy business man. Over the years he developed a cancer, and he then moves back to the West so he can die where he started. But, in typical Louis L'Amour style, Flint gets caught up in a gunfight inducing range war. Flint helps a woman named Nancy in the war since he knows he could die at any moment. I particularly liked thi...more
Jeff Dickison
Good L'Amour western as Flint returns to the land of his youth to die in peace. There he get caught up in a range war and decides to help the pretty young gal caught in the middle. He doesn't die, he gets the girl, and he gets rid of the bad guys. Good western.
Chris
Louis L'Amour is to the western story like butter is to bread; if you think of one you have to think of the other. I chose Flint first because it is my favorite L'Amour book (followed very close by Hondo!). I have almost all his westerns and have read most of them over and over. Unlike many of my favorites Louis' books are short and are a good afternoon read. To me what makes them unique is each is a play on all of them, yet all are exciting and fun to read. And refreshing in that unlike many ot...more
Keith Slade
One of the better non-Sackett Louis L'Amour westerns, originally written in 1960. I am surprised this was not made into a movie. (Maybe it was?) The descriptions seem cinematic sometimes. Characters are somewhat superficial as usual. A fun quick read for western lovers.
Charles Darlage
This was a fun read. The ending was quick and tied everything up. My only complaint was Flint is a little to trusting and allowed the bad guy to just leave.
Bill Kircher
A favorite read that I pursue about every 2 to 3 years.
Several appealing factors:
1- He has a place to be alone, that is only known to him. Who of us hasn't desired such a place from time to time?
2- Who hasn't wished to be financially independent, with the power to do good yet mete justice that comes with his kind of wealth?
3- An admirably fit man who Walks Soft And Carries A Big Stick.
4- Rugged and slightly dangerous looking - something that many women are attracted to.
5- He is the heart of a ph...more
  • Shane
  • The Last Trail
  • The Day the Cowboys Quit
  • The Shootist
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
  • Hombre
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • The Searchers
  • Breakheart Pass
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • The Big Sky
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods