My Little Polar Bear

My Little Polar Bear

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This quintessential love book for parent and child -- a standout in the genre -- promises to become a perennial favorite for generations to come.

A winter wonderland awaits a young polar bear cub that emerges from its den for the first time. As the cub sets out on a dramatic arctic journey, it worries whether it has the skills to survive. But a parent's abiding presence and...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Little Polar Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Little Polar Bear

jennifer  king
visual narrative, cute, for first readers. Award winning.
Vicki
A sweet book about a polar bear cub and its mother.
Samantha
A baby polar bear and his mother discuss the traits and qualities that make them polar bears while they assure one another of their love.

Digital media illustrations uses white and blue to show the remote cold environment in which polar bears typically live. PreK-2.
Charlotte
Charlotte would give this a three, Mama a four. She's maybe a little old for it, but I want to make sure we mix in some picture books with few words per page to give her a chance to start recognizing some words. I love this book, and it's simple palette of whites, greys, and blues. Plus, I'm always a sucker for parent/child stories. Something else I just realized now - even though scientifically the parent must be the mother, the word "Mama" is never used, so it could easily be a Papa polar bear...more
Katie
Jul 10, 2014 Katie added it
Cute!!
Chris Schoettmer
This story is about a young polar bear cub that emerges from its den for the first time and it worries whether it has the skills to survive. But with the help of its mother it is able to have the confidence to survive. I think that this is a good book to show the powerful bonds between parent and their child. I think that kids can relate to this by thinking of the first day of school and how their parent can give them the confidence to try something new for the first time.
Sandi Roe
This is a cute story of an insecure baby polar bear, whose loving mother is there to reassure him that he is in deed a polar bear. The mother assures the baby she will be there to teach him all the skills he will need to survive.
Jennifer Kelley
Simple illustrations that are perfect for this winter Wonderland. The baby polar bear asks his parent "am I a polar bear"; which leads to an explanation of a few scientific facts about polar bears.
I liked how the font changed color depending on which character is speaking--this would make it a great read together.
Jen
This was a cute story: a cleverly told tale that can reassure a youngster that he or she is loved. In the process, kids can learn a few interesting facts about polar bears via the questions the cub asks to find out if he/she is a polar bear.
Becky
Yup, I picked this up because it has a blue glitter cover. The text is simple but not great; it's the nearly monochromatic, graphic-design look of the illustrations that stands out. Good lap book for parents, or baby shower gift.
Esme
Aug 25, 2012 Esme added it
Lovely pictures of a polar landscape. The question "Am I a polar bear?" is wonderful in and if itself, but sets off an enjoyable dialogue between parent and child that ends with a reassurance of parental love.
Heather
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, as is the message: becoming who/what you are is a process of change and growth, but your mother's love is constant.
Ina
This is a beautifully illustrated book with simple text filled with love. Little Polar Bear asks questions which his mother answers with patience and love.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is good for those that like to read "Guess How Much I Love You" and other books of that sort. Only this one is about Polar Bears. Very sweet.
Liz
Perhaps a good bedtime read for the youngest ones... a little polar bear questions who he is. Love the light blue and snowy illustrations.
Carol
This a a beautifully drawn and written book. It's elegant and heart warming in its simplicity.
Charlene Mitchell
A cute story about a mother teaching her fun about becoming a polar bear.
Molly
This would make for a lovely bedtime story for little ones.
carissa
Sophie Love Heart
Sophie Love Heart marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Bunnyjadwiga
Bunnyjadwiga marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Huff & Puff Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around No Is It Big or Is It Little? I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly