Start by marking “Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions” as Want to Read:
Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions

Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,611 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras.

When Leaves of Grass was first published in 1855 as a slim tract of twelve untitled poems, Walt Whitman was still a
Published June 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published December 25th 2004)

Michael
This review is of 'Leaves of Grass: First and "Death-Bed" Editions,' which I read in its 900 page entirety despite my aversion to almost all of it. Don't get me wrong you can pick out a poem or two, put it in a Levi's commercial and make it seem like some pretty compelling stuff. I just don't find the kind of thinker that I deem worthy of my reading attention behind these words. Whitman is most certainly overrated and done so, I would venture to say, most certainly by people who haven't read him ...more
Roberto Elizondo
If I were on a prison cell charged with life imprisonment, forbidden to interact with anyone, and restricted to read one book for the rest of my life, this would be my number one choice. I have found no greater peace, wisdom, suffering, voice, and humanity in what I believe is the best book of poetry ever written. It has been the only book to has made me cry three times while reading it, and they were cries of happiness. I too cry my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of this 21st century world, and b ...more
Elise R
This was the first time I really read any Whitman extensively. I couldn't help but think how groundbreaking this work must have been at the time. I probably shouldn't have read all of it in one sitting, as it all kind of blurred together. They're the kind of poems you read when you need a confidence boost.
Ginnie Grant
Plain and simple words to live by. Everyone alive should read leaves of Grass at least once
Britta
from Starting from Paumanok

Here lands female and male,
Here the heir-ship and heiress-ship of the world, here the flame of materials,
Here spirituality the translatress, the openly-avow'd,
The ever-tending, the finale of visible forms,
The satisfier, after due long-waiting now advancing,
Yes here comes my mistress the soul.

from I Sing the Body Electric

This is the female form,
A divine nimbus exhales from it head to foot,
It attracts with fierce undeniable attraction.
Hair, bosom, hips, bend of legs, n
Andrea
Holy crap! It's a huge book, very intimidating when you first pick it up - mostly because you know the vast majority of it is poetry and it's something everyone should have read before you got to it. I kind of forgot I had it for a while, which took the shine off my panic. It should be required reading in schools. The first edition, I wondered why he's such an ego-maniac but by the time I got to the death-bed edition I realized it's the difference between third-person storytelling and 1st. He wa ...more
Sam
Mar 30, 2014 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Teens and Up
This is such a good book, Walt Whitman is one of my favourite poets. Albeit he was a little full of himself, his poems move me in so many ways. Last summer I walked outback in my yard in a field and read and read this book. I really recommend this book to those ages 15-17 and up because of sexual lines(in a beautiful romantic way). The first edition of LOG is smaller, the "Death-Bed" edition is larger.
The way he writes is so real, like it's a train of thought. Very good book.
Asena Hagos
I am convinced Walt Whitman is the original Dr. Who. I'm not sure anything I say can do his genius justice but I will simply say that to read Whitman is to, not only live a multitude of lives, but to live them vicariously. I'm no poet but my goodness does reading Leaves of Grass make me want to be one.
Andrea Travis
This is my daily choice for a read. I find new things daily. His passages leap off the pages into my morning coffee and I drink Uncle Walt down.
Loa Xing
father of poems very lucky man full of beauty.
Greg Houseal
Jan 16, 2013 Greg Houseal is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've decided this book is about Whitmans 'Awakening' in a Buddhist sense...he's in the tradition of the American Transcendentalist movement of the 1800's (perennial philosophy), but very much grounded in physical sensation ( in contrast to Emerson's "Transparent Eyeball' or Thoreau's 'Sounds' chapter of Walden...some passages have alot of resonance for me, others I have no clue...one of those books you might have by your bedside over the years to peruse from time to time, to awaken awareness as ...more
Matt Raymond
I have this Love/Hate relationship with Leaves of Grass. I guess that's the point, since every poem is basically an extreme expression of gratitude & emotion. Some poems I absolutely love, other's I would rather never read again. But I'm never in the middle. This is why I love the book so much. I'm not really a poetry fan, but I enjoy this because it's so radical and engaging. You can't not have an opinion. And I really admire Whitman for continuously editing this thing. Writing is rewriting ...more
Evan
Buy this, and not just because my professor was the editor, and not just because she gave me an A in her Walt Whitman class. That Walt was something else.

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop some where waiting for you"
Connieb
Apr 20, 2012 Connieb marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
Hmmm, looks like I have 2 ebook editions, this one http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76... and the Death Bed edition. Hate it when I do that, but perhaps one will have a few titles the other one doesn't.
Grace
My five-star rating is probably more of a result of the fact that the editor was my professor and she was absolutely fantastic. I don't think I have ever met someone so genuinely passionate about a writer before.
Dayna Smith
A classic collection of poetry by arguably the most famous American poet. Whitman's poetry is free verse and some selections are a bit tedious to read, but his style is totally American and well worth reading.
Kelly
Incredible! Especially the Death-Bed edition. I don't know which I love more, Whitman the man, or the leaves he left behind.
Jodie
One of the best collections of poetry ever. Whitman is a genius and I so enjoy him. This is him at his best.
Russ
Nov 11, 2007 Russ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that breathes air
What can I say about a book that changes the perspective of our culture.I re-read this once every spring.
Andrew
Jun 01, 2008 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Botanists
Whitman's introduction to the original work is wonderful. Don't buy an edition without it.
J M Falciani
This text and edition is the reason I write, read, understand, and enjoy poetry.
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Dustin Carpenter
Dustin Carpenter marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Cyndy
Cyndy marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
  • The House of the Dead/Poor Folk
  • The Life of Charlotte Brontë
  • Night and Day
  • The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...
Leaves of Grass Song of Myself Poetry and Prose (Library of America) The Complete Poems Leaves of Grass: The First (1855) Edition