Start by marking “The Longest Crawl: Being an Account of a Journey Through an Intoxicated Landscape or a Child's Treasury of Booze” as Want to Read:

According to G.K. Chesterton, the act of getting to and from a pub is central to an understanding of British life and landscape. So bon viveur, pub singer and writer Ian Marchant set off with photographer Perry Venus on a gruelling month long British pub crawl, to go to and from a lot of pubs in order to test Chesterton's hypothesis.
Published June 1st 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Longest Crawl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Longest Crawl

Emma
Aug 12, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
"According to G. K. Chesteron, the act of getting to and from a pub is central to an understanding of the British life and landscape. With around 60,000 to choose from, he may have had a point."

Ian Marchant decided to set off with his mate Perry Venus and document his month-long British pub crawl from the two fartherest apart pubs he could find. Witty, informative and thirst-inducing, this is the authors journey both personal and researched, reflecting an integral part of British Life - the Pub.
Amy Cockram
For a more detailed review, please visit my blog http://cornishamy.blogspot.co.uk/2012...

I found this book for a couple of pounds in The Works (ssh, don't tell the author), and I bought it on impulse because I know a couple of places mentioned in the blurb on the back.

In Marchant's book you learn quite a lot about the author himself, as well as learning a lot about the processes of making alcohol (Plymouth Gin, somerset cider, beer). He is very self-deprecating and plays on the pub-bore side of
Matt
Aug 12, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
Wonderful account of the author's month long excursion which saw him travel from the southernmost pub/bar in England to the northernmost pub/bar in the Shetland Islands, and all the stops in between. Charming anecdotes relating the characters who inhabit the pub world throughout, along with detailed historical information regarding brewing / distilling in Great Britain and how the pub fits into the cultural tradition of the region.
Mark Farley
Aug 08, 2016 Mark Farley rated it really liked it
A really interesting booze traveller's history around the country. Stories of whisky distilleries, breweries and the pubs and characters that serve and drink upon them. There is also plenty about the towns and industries that also used to be. Ive never learned so much about the production of pork scratchings ever. A very entertaining read, great camaraderie between friends and lots of very fascinating facts. Well worth a read.
Bungo
Aug 06, 2011 Bungo rated it liked it
A long and whimsical book about a long and whimsical pub crawl. It took me until the second half to really get into it and some of the writing in the London chapter made me bite my knuckles but overall, enjoyable. I guess I'm not really the target audience though. After all the build up, I can't believe he didn't try the Buckie! And he didn't get "pished" (aaargh!) very often either which I would have thought was a given for writing a book about pubs.
John
Jan 07, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anglophiles and beer-afficianados
Terrific road trip lit - though such a physically large book seemed daunting at first; I paused roughly halfway through, and came back to the story a few days later.
Defintely recommended, but it's not a breezy read; Marchant crams in quite a bit of detail (and, yes, goes off on a few tangents as well), so a couple of chapters at a time was about my limit.

Updated to add: if you enjoy this one, try Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie.
Heidi
Jan 18, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're largely dependent on finding books in various sailor exchanges around the islands, so we sometimes read the oddest books. This was a grand surprise "travel" book about a pub crawl from the most southern to most northern pubs in the UK. We laughed out loud and learned quite a lot about beer, ale, whiskey.
Anne
Oct 26, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
A road trip book based around a pub crawl from the Scilly Isles to the Shetlands. Well written, with a lot of information about the processes of making different types of alcohol and it's history in Britain, as well as some autobiographical information that comes out of the places they visit.
David
Feb 04, 2015 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: cleanskin
13CD talking book version. Narrated by the author. Easy way to make a book while having fun. From the Turk's Head in the Isles of Scilly to the Baa Bar in the Shetlands. Light entertainment and enjoyable
Alan
Jan 29, 2009 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
quite enjoyable if you like British pubs. I thought he was very brave to intervene in a horrible fight, but then I met him and he's about 300 feet tall.
Simon
Jul 09, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining travelogue of two guys who spend a month doing the longest pub-crawl in Britain - from the Sicily Isles to the Shetland Isles.
Brad Iles
Apr 30, 2013 Brad Iles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent account of a pub crawl - the longest one possible in Britain. Full of funny anecdotes and useful information about pubs, British drinks, pork scratchings etc.
Ipswichblade
Ipswichblade rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Rogitate
Rogitate rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Kim Le
Kim Le rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Paul Kelly
Paul Kelly rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
James Adams
James Adams rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Tony Hitchens
Tony Hitchens rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2012
Claudio
Claudio rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Dylan Goddard
Dylan Goddard rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Mic
Mic rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Rob
Rob rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2013
Paul Williams
Paul Williams rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Paul bailey
Paul bailey rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2010
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2010