Start by marking “She Had It Coming” as Want to Read:
She Had It Coming

She Had It Coming

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  673 ratings  ·  54 reviews
The choices we make in one rash moment can change everything. . .Dolores Reese spent her childhood in foster care, like Floyd Watson, a local boy who intrigues her from the moment they meet. When one bad decision sends an innocent Floyd to prison for life, Dolores promises to stick by him. But while Floyd's world stands still, Dolores's horizons open up in exciting new way ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about She Had It Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Had It Coming

She Had It Coming by Mary Monroe

I’ve had this book for some years now and just recently got around to finishing. The book started slow that’s why it was so easy for me to put down and whenever I would try to pick it up again something else would draw my attention away from reading. However this time I gave myself a week to finish the book and once I got several pages into the book I was able to see the plot pick up and come alive. Although the plot did pick up, it also seem to slow down and it f
I think I'm getting tired of Mary Monroe. Her books never got any better than "God Don't Like Ugly'
Shelia Thompson
So hood, so predictable, so gang. Can someone tell me where I can exchange my used books? This one, first
The title says it all. Floyd dissed her in the end but she deserved it, thats what happens when you tell lies.....You get what you have coming....
Tracy Darity
"She Had It Coming" is a story about two friends, Delores and Valerie. Delores is a product of foster care and Valerie is the product of an abusive step-father who terrorizes his family.

Delores witness Valerie and her mother kill Mr. Zeke and helps bury his body in the backyard. She is also in love with Floyd, a product of the Foster care system himself. Floyd is sentenced to life in prison for a rape and murder he did not commit.

The book is more about friendship bonds and unconditional love,
A'ndrea Wilson
Mary Monroe’s She Had It Coming takes the journey of Dolores Reese, a foster child turned women who marries one too many men. Due to an interrupted childhood, Dolores’s sense of loyalty is off balance, leading her to feel obligated to the people in her life. Unable to tell the truth and constantly hiding behind secrets, Dolores falls deeper and deeper into a pit of chaos, making catastrophe inevitable: How long can a woman live a double life before it all falls apart?

Monroe is a wonderful story
This is Mary Monroe true ot form, wacky characters, full of mess, drama, and shenanigans. How does she come up with half of this stuff? The title aptly fit both Ms. Valerie and "LoReese" to the T! I could not believe Dolores! She had some issues with men don't you think? I have read several of Mary Monroe's books and have been entertained thus far. Her book have a sense of 'sameness' and I would like to see her veer off into another direction in some future books. Overall, this was a quick, fun, ...more
Karen Banks
Excellent book!!!

Always been a fan of Mary Monroe. The main characters friendship was like a sisterhood with a horrible secret in between that kept them locked together. Why on earth would Delores marry either one of those guys was crazy but understandable. She was missing a male figure in her life. I would definitely recommend this book to be read, it was a page turner.
deryl taylor
Karma is a...

The author wrote an interesting story about how Delores coped with loss and broken relationships. She sabotaged important close relationships out of emotional bankruptcy rooted in her past. I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation of how the story would end. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it if you like reading suspenseful stories.
ok while it started off a little slow it was only due to the author trying to provide as much background information as possible to give the dynamics of the relationships discussed in the book. However as it got past that I really started enjoying the book...The twists and turns and drama was on point!!!! I do wish it would've ended different but I still enjoyed it!!!!
This story of Delores, a foster child who was treated indifferently at an early age is well told. Her best friend Valerie lives two doors away in a house headed by a man who abuses his entire family at will. On the night of their senior prom Delores walks into a situation that neither she or Valerie will ever forget.

Delores had a single boyfriend growing up, Floyd. They were deeply in love and shared the common experience of being raised in foster care. They planned on spending their lives toge
Ayana Brantley
Good but slow

This book was a good read but it started off really slow. It usually takes me a few days to read a book but this one took me 2 weeks and since I paid for it I wasn't stopping till the end lol.
shayla b martin

Much slower than any of her other books. It took a lot longer to read. It became very interesting but then became predictable. Overall still a good read.
Nicola Terry
For a Mary Monroe I struggled they this book... It wasn't as well thought out as most of her work. I had to finish it (type A personality... Lol) but really could have moved on to something else 1/2way through. It was ok at best... I only wondered WHEN she would go down...
I had it coming when I picked this book up to read ignoring my instinct not to read it after looking at cover page. Well I got my lesson. It was very disappointing read and also unrealistic. The characters all are very unrealistic, incidents all very dramatic, the plot all twisted and writing very ordinary.

The book is so boring; I fell asleep many times while reading it. I read it during those days when I had this OCD kind of thing going on with myself ‘to finish every book I picked up to read’
Tyneka Kearse
Finally done

Was a good read.
Would definitely recommend this book to the next person. She had it coming was a good one.
It has taken me awhile to finish this book. I don't remember when I started, sometime in March. I finally finished tonight. I enjoyed the book once I got half finished. Dolores was something else with her husbands (bigamist). It all backfired after she slept with Valerie's fiancé' although Dolores didn't know. Valerie was wrong for turning on Dolores. She should have taken it up with Russell/ Marvin. Poor Valerie ended up in prison for the murder of her vicious step-father many years ago and bur ...more
This was a difficult book to understand and finish.i kept thinking the plot would turn in another direction but it never did. I was rather disappointed.
It wasn't bad. would have loved for Valerie to have a better ending but crime doesn't pay
Q Owens
Didnt realize this was the same book I had already read back in 2008.
Another drama filled page turner by Mary Monroe
Good read! Discussed at DDBC Meeting.
Demiere Lee
It's true that Mary Monroe's novels are starting to become repetitive but at the same time the books are based on autobiographical events and the central message/theme is positive as it showcases African -American families and give them a voice. Though her oldest novels like "The Upper Room" left me paralyzed with fear not just for her initial taste in writing or the cold-blooded main protagonist, Mama Ruby, but because for the first time I ABHORRED her writing. But with "She Had It Coming", she ...more
A little boring at times. The main character was just stupid, I did not understand her.
Maya B
Not my favorite book by this author. I did not connect with the characters
Beats me how one person can themselves into such a predicament. I liked this book but sometimes it just got to be to much with the sex bit. I probably would read another book by this author. One of my friends says God Don't Like Ugly was supposed to by pretty good. I may just try that one to compare them.
**Stop: page 17/Chapter 5

I'm disappointed, because I'm usually a fan of Mary Monroe. Its been awhile since I've read anything of her's tho (God Don't Like Ugly, God Still Don't Like Ugly, Gonna Lay My Burdens Down and Red Light Wives), but...I wasn't expecting THIS. It was pretty boring early.
L. Wright
This was my first Mary Monroe book. I had heard such great things about her as an author. I have to say, though, I was disappointed with She Had It Coming. I was especially upset at the ending. I will read another one of her books, though, cause I though it was an okay read.
This was a good book especially in the beginning. I just wish that Delores's life would have ended better. With a more bappy ending. She had to endure so much in life I just feel that she deserved so much more.
  • Who's Loving You (Honey Diaries, #2)
  • What's Done In The Dark
  • We Take This Man
  • All Up In My Business
  • I Know I've Been Changed
  • Jezebel
I am the third child of Alabama sharecroppers and the first and only member of my family to finish high school. I never attended college or any writing classes. I taught myself how to write and started writing short stories around age four. I spent the first part of my life in Alabama and Ohio and moved to Richmond, California in 1973. I have lived in Oakland since 1984.

My first novel THE UPPER RO
More about Mary Monroe...