Start by marking “She Had It Coming” as Want to Read:
She Had It Coming

She Had It Coming

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  762 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The choices we make in one rash moment can change everything. . .Dolores Reese spent her childhood in foster care, like Floyd Watson, a local boy who intrigues her from the moment they meet. When one bad decision sends an innocent Floyd to prison for life, Dolores promises to stick by him. But while Floyd's world stands still, Dolores's horizons open up in exciting new way ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about She Had It Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Had It Coming

Shonnie
Sep 26, 2010 Shonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She Had It Coming by Mary Monroe

I’ve had this book for some years now and just recently got around to finishing. The book started slow that’s why it was so easy for me to put down and whenever I would try to pick it up again something else would draw my attention away from reading. However this time I gave myself a week to finish the book and once I got several pages into the book I was able to see the plot pick up and come alive. Although the plot did pick up, it also seem to slow down and it f
Cathy
I think I'm getting tired of Mary Monroe. Her books never got any better than "God Don't Like Ugly'
A'ndrea Wilson
Feb 15, 2012 A'ndrea Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Monroe’s She Had It Coming takes the journey of Dolores Reese, a foster child turned women who marries one too many men. Due to an interrupted childhood, Dolores’s sense of loyalty is off balance, leading her to feel obligated to the people in her life. Unable to tell the truth and constantly hiding behind secrets, Dolores falls deeper and deeper into a pit of chaos, making catastrophe inevitable: How long can a woman live a double life before it all falls apart?

Monroe is a wonderful story
Shelia Thompson
So hood, so predictable, so gang. Can someone tell me where I can exchange my used books? This one, first
Demiere Lee
Jul 04, 2016 Demiere Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You remember that saying: "Once you tell a lie, you have to tell another lie to cover the lie you told," and so forth and so on? This book is aptly titled because the protagonist, Delores definitely had it coming and Valerie, wasn't far behind. Suspenseful, raw, and gritty, Mary Monroe doesn't disappoint in She Had It Coming! I've been a fan of this woman since the God series and seeing as how I'm familiar with her work and have read and collected every novel she's ever written (for the exceptio ...more
Aone
Oct 14, 2009 Aone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all. Floyd dissed her in the end but she deserved it, thats what happens when you tell lies.....You get what you have coming....
Tracy Darity
Jul 01, 2009 Tracy Darity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"She Had It Coming" is a story about two friends, Delores and Valerie. Delores is a product of foster care and Valerie is the product of an abusive step-father who terrorizes his family.

Delores witness Valerie and her mother kill Mr. Zeke and helps bury his body in the backyard. She is also in love with Floyd, a product of the Foster care system himself. Floyd is sentenced to life in prison for a rape and murder he did not commit.

The book is more about friendship bonds and unconditional love,
Hyacinth
This is Mary Monroe true ot form, wacky characters, full of mess, drama, and shenanigans. How does she come up with half of this stuff? The title aptly fit both Ms. Valerie and "LoReese" to the T! I could not believe Dolores! She had some issues with men don't you think? I have read several of Mary Monroe's books and have been entertained thus far. Her book have a sense of 'sameness' and I would like to see her veer off into another direction in some future books. Overall, this was a quick, fun, ...more
Karen Banks
May 26, 2015 Karen Banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Excellent book!!!

Always been a fan of Mary Monroe. The main characters friendship was like a sisterhood with a horrible secret in between that kept them locked together. Why on earth would Delores marry either one of those guys was crazy but understandable. She was missing a male figure in her life. I would definitely recommend this book to be read, it was a page turner.
deryl taylor
Mar 30, 2014 deryl taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karma is a...

The author wrote an interesting story about how Delores coped with loss and broken relationships. She sabotaged important close relationships out of emotional bankruptcy rooted in her past. I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation of how the story would end. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it if you like reading suspenseful stories.
Keyan
Jul 20, 2015 Keyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok while it started off a little slow it was only due to the author trying to provide as much background information as possible to give the dynamics of the relationships discussed in the book. However as it got past that I really started enjoying the book...The twists and turns and drama was on point!!!! I do wish it would've ended different but I still enjoyed it!!!!
Teaguem2005
Aug 08, 2013 Teaguem2005 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story of Delores, a foster child who was treated indifferently at an early age is well told. Her best friend Valerie lives two doors away in a house headed by a man who abuses his entire family at will. On the night of their senior prom Delores walks into a situation that neither she or Valerie will ever forget.

Delores had a single boyfriend growing up, Floyd. They were deeply in love and shared the common experience of being raised in foster care. They planned on spending their lives toge
Ayana Brantley
Good but slow

This book was a good read but it started off really slow. It usually takes me a few days to read a book but this one took me 2 weeks and since I paid for it I wasn't stopping till the end lol.
shayla b martin
Jan 21, 2015 shayla b martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Good

Much slower than any of her other books. It took a lot longer to read. It became very interesting but then became predictable. Overall still a good read.
Nicola Terry
For a Mary Monroe I struggled they this book... It wasn't as well thought out as most of her work. I had to finish it (type A personality... Lol) but really could have moved on to something else 1/2way through. It was ok at best... I only wondered WHEN she would go down...
Neena
Oct 14, 2012 Neena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had it coming when I picked this book up to read ignoring my instinct not to read it after looking at cover page. Well I got my lesson. It was very disappointing read and also unrealistic. The characters all are very unrealistic, incidents all very dramatic, the plot all twisted and writing very ordinary.

The book is so boring; I fell asleep many times while reading it. I read it during those days when I had this OCD kind of thing going on with myself ‘to finish every book I picked up to read’
Lee G. Hampton
Apr 24, 2016 Lee G. Hampton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super

Hoping there is a part 2 to this novel. Would like to see if old girl ever remarried and if baby daddy reenters her life.
Belinda
Apr 25, 2014 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me awhile to finish this book. I don't remember when I started, sometime in March. I finally finished tonight. I enjoyed the book once I got half finished. Dolores was something else with her husbands (bigamist). It all backfired after she slept with Valerie's fiancé' although Dolores didn't know. Valerie was wrong for turning on Dolores. She should have taken it up with Russell/ Marvin. Poor Valerie ended up in prison for the murder of her vicious step-father many years ago and bur ...more
Shayla
Aug 15, 2015 Shayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book to understand and finish.i kept thinking the plot would turn in another direction but it never did. I was rather disappointed.
Youpier Johnson
Jan 26, 2016 Youpier Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, her writing is very mature and keeps me wanting more.
Pam
It wasn't bad. would have loved for Valerie to have a better ending but crime doesn't pay
Q Owens
Didnt realize this was the same book I had already read back in 2008.
Phyllis Jackson
Jun 01, 2016 Phyllis Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regardless I like Mary Monroes books....
Great page turner
Maya Aisha
Jun 04, 2016 Maya Aisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good read by one of my favorite authors.
Amy
Jun 26, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another drama filled page turner by Mary Monroe
Netta
Good read! Discussed at DDBC Meeting.
Sonia
Great Book. But the ending did turn out different than what I thought
Gw
Dec 04, 2014 Gw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was alright
Sistah
May 06, 2014 Sistah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little boring at times. The main character was just stupid, I did not understand her.
Maya B
Aug 14, 2014 Maya B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite book by this author. I did not connect with the characters
  • The First Lady
  • Mama Dearest
  • What's Done In The Dark
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Who's Loving You (Honey Diaries, #2)
  • One in a Million
  • Where There's Smoke 2
  • All Up In My Business
  • Single Husbands
  • If I Could
  • Don't Want No Sugar
  • We Take This Man
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • Notorious (Notorious #2)
  • What They Want
  • Gather Together in My Name
I am the third child of Alabama sharecroppers and the first and only member of my family to finish high school. I never attended college or any writing classes. I taught myself how to write and started writing short stories around age four. I spent the first part of my life in Alabama and Ohio and moved to Richmond, California in 1973. I have lived in Oakland since 1984.

My first novel THE UPPER RO
More about Mary Monroe...