Start by marking “The Eyes of Kid Midas” as Want to Read:
The Eyes of Kid Midas

The Eyes of Kid Midas

Kevin Midas is sick of being picked on, teased and tormented. So when he finds a pair of magical sunglasses that give him the power to do--well, anything--he couldn't be happier. At first, Kevin spends his time pulling ice cream cones out of the air and getting every video game he ever wanted. But then he turns to darker wishes. What if he used the glasses to get revenge? ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Eyes of Kid Midas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eyes of Kid Midas

Dustin Reade
Nov 09, 2011 Dustin Reade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was around nine to eleven, and I remember it floored me then, and it has stayed with me ever since. Scenes here and there, mostly, nothing definite anymore, but the whole FEEL of the book stays with me, and the knowledge that reading it was a great time. It was fun, and I think this was one of those books that taught me how fun and exciting reading could be.
Tajanator
I read this book long ago when I was in jr.high. (first read in like- 1994 when the author came to our school.) I realize it is strange to write a review soo long after reading, but i must.

This book is the reason I like to read today. I was not into reading -at all- as a kid and actually wasn't a big reader after -but for laziness alone. I always wanted to read more- because of my enjoying this book so much.

I love the impossible-brought-to-life type of story, and this one certainly qualifies. T
Neil (or bleed)
The Eyes of Kid Midas is similar to the books I've read and shows I've watched that if you abuse a magical item, everything will/can go wrong after, though this book is kinda different to others because of a plot twist that was unbelievable in a good way and a kind of breath-gasping. And the characters were witty and snarky in their own ways. Anyway, it raises all sorts about bullying, friendship, family, reality, selfishness, revenge that left a lesson-mark in my heart and I had fun.
Sandra Strange
A typical Shusterman, fun and easy to read but bringing up issues teens should face and discuss; aimed at junior high, but gripping for older teens, too. What if you could access something that would give you the power to do ANYTHING, to change reality to punish bullies, reward friends, conjure up any food, video game, nice clothing item, to have power over anything you want or don't want? The reason the kid's last name is Midas becomes apparent pretty quickly.
Josiah
Jun 23, 2012 Josiah rated it it was ok
"On its worst days, the world still made some sort of sense, and that was a good thing."

The Eyes of Kids Midas, P. 148

"There was a moment―just an instant in time―when reality and dreams met each other before switching places. It was a moment of absolute insanity..."

The Eyes of Kid Midas, P. 145

Neal Shusterman is good with big ideas. It's hard for me to think of another author who really even compares to him in the dreaming up and management of big ideas, who can match his skill in creatin
Dayton
Jan 19, 2017 Dayton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
Clairemantle
This book is definitely a book that makes you think. It focuses on a young boy's slow descent into madness and his peak to reprieve when he finds a pair of glasses that grant his every wish. The story is packed with suspense and questions of morality.

The best part of the novel to me was the unbelievably realistic protagonist. Kevin Midas, thinks, feels, and acts in every way a young outcast character would. He is desperate to win the heart of an unattainable girl, he struggles to escape the tor
Mom
Jun 27, 2012 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seventh grader Kevin is a short scrawny kid with only one friend, Josh. On a camping trip, they climb to the top of Divine Mountain and find a pair of sunglasses. Kevin puts the glasses on and quickly discovers that they are magic, capable of granting his every wish.

The story proceeds as expected; Kevin wishes for (and gets) cool clothes, candy, stereo sets, video games, lambourginis.... But then the glasses begin to steal power from wall sockets, becoming stronger and stronger. Soon the glasse
Lunamoth
Mar 19, 2012 Lunamoth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For 13 year old Kevin Midas life sucks. Bullied and a social loser only his friend Josh could make things better, until Kevin finds a pair of sunglasses on top of a mountain. Then everything c hanges as Kevin wears the glasses, things he thinks and things he wants start appearing but not everything comes out for the better. It’s a classic case of ‘Be careful what you wish for’ and shows how someone can be so corrupted by Greed that a simple answer is often the farthest from your mind.

The eyes of
Honya
I love Shusterman’s writing–always original, refreshing, and meaningful. The Eyes of Kid Midas has the feeling of a cautionary tale or a fable without ever being demeaning or pedantic. It reads like an exciting middle-grade slice-of-life adventure with a crazy fantasy element thrown in . . . except that the further you read, the more you get the picture that stuff and power just aren’t worth as much as we sometimes think they are. The costs of seeking them too much are just too high, as Kevin qu ...more
Vonnie
Jul 25, 2016 Vonnie rated it liked it
3.5

I have enjoyed reading Neal Shusterman's books before. So when I came across this book at a library book sale, I quickly snatched it up. This was a quick and easy read meant for middle schoolers, but even the older folks could enjoy this one.

This story was about the consequences of power hunger and greed. I liked how Shusterman was able to create a character who was desperate to be liked by his peers but in doing so, he ended up creating chaos to his world. The tumultuous affects to all of K
Lara
Nov 26, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
Kid Midas is definitely going on the shelf in my middle school classroom. I can see this becoming a favorite for a few of my more reluctant readers, and perhaps a gateway leading them to give more titles a try.

This book was just plain fun to read.
Nothing really mind bending or earth shattering, but truly enjoyable from start to finish. The characters are comfortably familiar and fill their roles as expected, the story plays out like a Nickelodeon movie, and the connection between the main chara
Ed Petersen
Jul 02, 2014 Ed Petersen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book in the mid-1990s, then re-reading it several times because I thought it was so good. As a nerdy kid, I could relate to the main character who was bullied and had trouble interacting successfully with his classmates. The storyline was pretty trippy too, involving a special pair of sunglasses that allowed him to wish things into and out of existence. This may have been one of my earliest introductions to psychedelic imagery and mind-bending activities, and the unintend ...more
Brittany Permann
The Eyes of Kid Midas by Neal Shusterman was a very interesting book. It taught me a lot about how worldly things can really take over your mind. Kevin Midas was on a camp out with his class from school. His teacher tells them a story that gets Kevin thinking and makes Kevin climb this mountain. At the top of the mountain Kevin finds some glasses and falls in love with them immediately. He realizes they are magic and will give him anything he wants. The unfortunate thing is he can't reverse what ...more
Vandita
3 stars!
An interesting and intriguing read, this story is about Kevin who finds a pair of magic glasses on a mountain top.

Even though it sounds like a cliché but its not. It focusses on problems faced by children in schools as it tells the story of Kevin who's been bullied for as long as he could remember. Those magic glasses gave him the upper hand he desperately needed to ward of the bullies. But will the human's greed for power affect Kevin and make him do horrible things? Read on to find ou
706ellis
I think that in the end Bertram was not really the bad guy. I think it was Hal, because he was just as bad and caused more trouble.I think that Josh is like Kevin's conscience, the way he always tells him to do the right thing. but Kevin does not listen.There were parts that make you laugh and parts that made me think. I guess that this is what happens when you can have everything and more, but can't make it stop. When you have everything you want, except happiness, nothing ever really feels com ...more
gina
Jan 07, 2011 gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh, Neal Shusterman. You are so easy to read. The Eyes of Kid Midas comes in the middle of a series of books (the Dark Fusion series) about kids who have supernatural powers. Some of the kids are werewolves, others are vampires--it varies from book to book.

Seventh grader Kevin Midas is at the bottom of the food chain. Constantly picked on by other kids, he was bound to have a comeback. On a field trip he discovers a pair of magical sunglasses. Whatever he wishes comes to fruition. Quickly he
Ashley
May 20, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was surprisingly good. If I hadn't been a huge fan of Neal Shusterman, I wouldn't have originally picked it up and decided to read it.
While starting off with a slow start, by somewhere in the page range of 60-90 pages in, the book really started to get interesting. Once I reached the "turning point" I finished the book in a single sitting.
The story, in a whole, was very strange. But, it was a very good kind of strange. Once the build up was complete, it was a 5 star book!
All in all,
rr
I didn't feel emotionally caught up in the story, but intellectually I was curious to see how Shusterman translated the Golden Touch into modern terms. He does so by rendering it more conceptual: whatever the boy Midas thinks/wishes when he has the mysterious glasses on, happens. This shift makes the ancient mythological Midas seem relatively limited in his power, and it makes the overall "lesson" more broad.
Bethany
Jun 29, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rated PG.

What happens when a kid gets the chance to have anything he wants? Initially, Kevin thinks that's awesome, especially since bullies don't have quite the same power over him that they used to, but he starts to realize how addicting the power is and how little control he has over it...

I really like Neal Shusterman. He is able to really make me think and has the creativity to come up with a truly vivid story.
Mrs.  Garza
I just bought this book for my school's library. I love the new contemporary cover. I really enjoy Neal Shusterman's books and this story is just amazing. Seventh grader, Kevin Midas is constantly bullied by a classmate and ignored by his parents. What if he could suddenly have anything his heart desired? Would that be a good thing? Would he be able to make wise choices? Or is the saying true... "everything comes with a price to pay". Read this book to find out more.
Raina
7706nick
Dec 27, 2012 7706nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very fantasy filled, with the whole plot about magic sunglasses. A little cheesy, I know, but every once in a while you just have to sit back, relax, and read an extremely easy fantasy book. Which is exactly what I do with this book. It's a true page turner. If you're looking for a good, easy book, this is most definitely the one I would recommend.
Liz B
Not really realistic, not really urban fantasy--this book was fast paced but not right for me. However, students love Shusterman's books, and it's not like this one is bad--far from it. It has issues to discuss and Kevin's downward spiral is convincing. I don't have to like a book to sell it convincingly to an 8th grader.
Jed Heron
Sep 14, 2015 Jed Heron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very well written. All of the characters were relatable and interesting. The Story line and plot were fascinating. All in all this book was great, but clearly a children's story. Probably for people 9-13 years old. Had I read this book 9 years ago I would definitely have given it 5 stars.
Heather
Mar 13, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Even though it was written in 1992 The Eyes of Kid Midas stays remarkably current. The technology that Kevin and Josh wish for is done in generic terms so as not to give away the time period, at least not too much. This book kept my interest and delivered surprise twists right up until the end. Be careful what you wish for taken to a whole new level. Middle school kids will enjoy this.
Anne
Kevin finds a pair of magic sunglasses after his own glasses are smashed by a bully. These glasses give Kevin anything he could ever want - including a lot of power. Then things start to go awry in his world as he gets more and more addicted to the power.

Not as strong as some of Shusterman's other books, but a good read.
Chrysty uchiha
Fable
Jan 21, 2014 Fable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not his best but a fair book for a short read. It did take a while to get into it (several months and a long interruption with several books being read before picking it up and starting back over), but once into the book was able to finish in a couple hours. Nothing unexpected happened. Still decent enough while looking for the next big book.
Kevin
Oct 30, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book especially after hearing the author tell us that this was his first story he ever made up when he was a camp counselor. Kevin Midas climbed the mountain and found the glasses of God that will grant any wish that comes to mind. Unfortunately he can't undo anything he's made happen, so things start getting out of control.
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • Griffin's Castle
  • Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy
  • Saving Maddie
  • The Greatest Discovery
  • On Guard for Thee (War and Strife in 1812)
  • Dark Promise (Underworld, #1)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • The Project
  • The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen (Changeling, #2)
  • Dreamwalker (The Red Dragon Academy, #1)
  • The Trolls
  • Demonkeeper (Demonkeeper, #1)
  • Boo Hoo Bird
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • World's Collider: A Shared-World Anthology
  • The Rabbit Problem
  • Freak
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...