Start by marking “The Eyes of Kid Midas” as Want to Read:
The Eyes of Kid Midas

The Eyes of Kid Midas

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Kevin Midas is sick of being picked on, teased and tormented. So when he finds a pair of magical sunglasses that give him the power to do--well, anything--he couldn't be happier. At first, Kevin spends his time pulling ice cream cones out of the air and getting every video game he ever wanted. But then he turns to darker wishes. What if he used the glasses to get revenge? ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Eyes of Kid Midas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eyes of Kid Midas

Dustin Reade
I read this book when I was around nine to eleven, and I remember it floored me then, and it has stayed with me ever since. Scenes here and there, mostly, nothing definite anymore, but the whole FEEL of the book stays with me, and the knowledge that reading it was a great time. It was fun, and I think this was one of those books that taught me how fun and exciting reading could be.
Tajanator
I read this book long ago when I was in jr.high. (first read in like- 1994 when the author came to our school.) I realize it is strange to write a review soo long after reading, but i must.

This book is the reason I like to read today. I was not into reading -at all- as a kid and actually wasn't a big reader after -but for laziness alone. I always wanted to read more- because of my enjoying this book so much.

I love the impossible-brought-to-life type of story, and this one certainly qualifies. T
Neil(ed) it!
The Eyes of Kid Midas is similar to the books I've read and shows I've watched that if you abuse a magical item, everything will/can go wrong after, though this book is kinda different to others because of a plot twist that was unbelievable in a good way and a kind of breath-gasping. And the characters were witty and snarky in their own ways. Anyway, it raises all sorts about bullying, friendship, family, reality, selfishness, revenge that left a lesson-mark in my heart and I had fun.
Sandra Strange
A typical Shusterman, fun and easy to read but bringing up issues teens should face and discuss; aimed at junior high, but gripping for older teens, too. What if you could access something that would give you the power to do ANYTHING, to change reality to punish bullies, reward friends, conjure up any food, video game, nice clothing item, to have power over anything you want or don't want? The reason the kid's last name is Midas becomes apparent pretty quickly.
Brittany Permann
The Eyes of Kid Midas by Neal Shusterman was a very interesting book. It taught me a lot about how worldly things can really take over your mind. Kevin Midas was on a camp out with his class from school. His teacher tells them a story that gets Kevin thinking and makes Kevin climb this mountain. At the top of the mountain Kevin finds some glasses and falls in love with them immediately. He realizes they are magic and will give him anything he wants. The unfortunate thing is he can't reverse what ...more
Ed Petersen
I remember reading this book in the mid-1990s, then re-reading it several times because I thought it was so good. As a nerdy kid, I could relate to the main character who was bullied and had trouble interacting successfully with his classmates. The storyline was pretty trippy too, involving a special pair of sunglasses that allowed him to wish things into and out of existence. This may have been one of my earliest introductions to psychedelic imagery and mind-bending activities, and the unintend ...more
Vandita
3 stars!
An interesting and intriguing read, this story is about Kevin who finds a pair of magic glasses on a mountain top.

Even though it sounds like a cliché but its not. It focusses on problems faced by children in schools as it tells the story of Kevin who's been bullied for as long as he could remember. Those magic glasses gave him the upper hand he desperately needed to ward of the bullies. But will the human's greed for power affect Kevin and make him do horrible things? Read on to find ou
Josiah
"On its worst days, the world still made some sort of sense, and that was a good thing."

The Eyes of Kids Midas, P. 148

"There was a moment―just an instant in time―when reality and dreams met each other before switching places. It was a moment of absolute insanity..."

The Eyes of Kid Midas, P. 145

Neal Shusterman is good with big ideas. It's hard for me to think of another author who really even compares to him in the dreaming up and management of big ideas, who can match his skill in creatin
Mom
Seventh grader Kevin is a short scrawny kid with only one friend, Josh. On a camping trip, they climb to the top of Divine Mountain and find a pair of sunglasses. Kevin puts the glasses on and quickly discovers that they are magic, capable of granting his every wish.

The story proceeds as expected; Kevin wishes for (and gets) cool clothes, candy, stereo sets, video games, lambourginis.... But then the glasses begin to steal power from wall sockets, becoming stronger and stronger. Soon the glasse
Clairemantle
This book is definitely a book that makes you think. It focuses on a young boy's slow descent into madness and his peak to reprieve when he finds a pair of glasses that grant his every wish. The story is packed with suspense and questions of morality.

The best part of the novel to me was the unbelievably realistic protagonist. Kevin Midas, thinks, feels, and acts in every way a young outcast character would. He is desperate to win the heart of an unattainable girl, he struggles to escape the tor
Lunamoth
For 13 year old Kevin Midas life sucks. Bullied and a social loser only his friend Josh could make things better, until Kevin finds a pair of sunglasses on top of a mountain. Then everything c hanges as Kevin wears the glasses, things he thinks and things he wants start appearing but not everything comes out for the better. It’s a classic case of ‘Be careful what you wish for’ and shows how someone can be so corrupted by Greed that a simple answer is often the farthest from your mind.

The eyes of
Paulette Garza
I just bought this book for my school's library. I love the new contemporary cover. I really enjoy Neal Shusterman's books and this story is just amazing. Seventh grader, Kevin Midas is constantly bullied by a classmate and ignored by his parents. What if he could suddenly have anything his heart desired? Would that be a good thing? Would he be able to make wise choices? Or is the saying true... "everything comes with a price to pay". Read this book to find out more.
Bethany
Rated PG.

What happens when a kid gets the chance to have anything he wants? Initially, Kevin thinks that's awesome, especially since bullies don't have quite the same power over him that they used to, but he starts to realize how addicting the power is and how little control he has over it...

I really like Neal Shusterman. He is able to really make me think and has the creativity to come up with a truly vivid story.
Lara
Kid Midas is definitely going on the shelf in my middle school classroom. I can see this becoming a favorite for a few of my more reluctant readers, and perhaps a gateway leading them to give more titles a try.

This book was just plain fun to read.
Nothing really mind bending or earth shattering, but truly enjoyable from start to finish. The characters are comfortably familiar and fill their roles as expected, the story plays out like a Nickelodeon movie, and the connection between the main chara
Raina
Tim Miller
My sister had checked this out when she was in grade school, and I was in Junior High, I remember seeing the cover, and picking it up just to maybe read a few paragraphs and get a feel for the book. I finished it before I put it down. It's not very long at all, but it's a great book, and one that sticks with you.
Summer
It was a great story. Fun to read, great story line. Hilarious at some points. But I didn't love it.
I actually met Neal Shusterman today and listening to him talk about this book made me really excited t read it. I believe it was over hyped. At least for me anyway.
Jordyn Britt
This Book is all about imagination. Let your mind run wild with this book. Anything can happen from rain in the desert to 2+2=3
Fable
Certainly not his best but a fair book for a short read. It did take a while to get into it (several months and a long interruption with several books being read before picking it up and starting back over), but once into the book was able to finish in a couple hours. Nothing unexpected happened. Still decent enough while looking for the next big book.
Ashley
This book was surprisingly good. If I hadn't been a huge fan of Neal Shusterman, I wouldn't have originally picked it up and decided to read it.
While starting off with a slow start, by somewhere in the page range of 60-90 pages in, the book really started to get interesting. Once I reached the "turning point" I finished the book in a single sitting.
The story, in a whole, was very strange. But, it was a very good kind of strange. Once the build up was complete, it was a 5 star book!
All in all,
gina
Ahhhh, Neal Shusterman. You are so easy to read. The Eyes of Kid Midas comes in the middle of a series of books (the Dark Fusion series) about kids who have supernatural powers. Some of the kids are werewolves, others are vampires--it varies from book to book.

Seventh grader Kevin Midas is at the bottom of the food chain. Constantly picked on by other kids, he was bound to have a comeback. On a field trip he discovers a pair of magical sunglasses. Whatever he wishes comes to fruition. Quickly he
Roger Mcdaniel
The author of this book is one of my favorites. The Eyes of Kid Midas is the 5th book that Shusterman wrote - and you can tell. His writing has really matured over the year - the way he will paint a picture for the reader.

This book wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
706ellis
I think that in the end Bertram was not really the bad guy. I think it was Hal, because he was just as bad and caused more trouble.I think that Josh is like Kevin's conscience, the way he always tells him to do the right thing. but Kevin does not listen.There were parts that make you laugh and parts that made me think. I guess that this is what happens when you can have everything and more, but can't make it stop. When you have everything you want, except happiness, nothing ever really feels com ...more
rr
I didn't feel emotionally caught up in the story, but intellectually I was curious to see how Shusterman translated the Golden Touch into modern terms. He does so by rendering it more conceptual: whatever the boy Midas thinks/wishes when he has the mysterious glasses on, happens. This shift makes the ancient mythological Midas seem relatively limited in his power, and it makes the overall "lesson" more broad.
Heather
Even though it was written in 1992 The Eyes of Kid Midas stays remarkably current. The technology that Kevin and Josh wish for is done in generic terms so as not to give away the time period, at least not too much. This book kept my interest and delivered surprise twists right up until the end. Be careful what you wish for taken to a whole new level. Middle school kids will enjoy this.
Echo
I read this book when I was around 10 or 12 or so (I don't think I even own it anymore), so I don't remember much about it and can't give it much of a review as far as the quality of the writing. What I can say is that I loved it when I was young and thought it was AWESOME. So even if the writing quality isn't amazing, I think it's safe to say it will appeal to kids.
Tracy
What wonderful oddities escape Shusterman's imagination! I was initially deterred from reading this as the main characters are so young (7th grade), but its lessons are ageless and the delivery fairly flawless. I kept expecting the main character to turn things to gold, but his actions were far more interesting. I'll be thinking about this one for a while.
7706nick
This book is very fantasy filled, with the whole plot about magic sunglasses. A little cheesy, I know, but every once in a while you just have to sit back, relax, and read an extremely easy fantasy book. Which is exactly what I do with this book. It's a true page turner. If you're looking for a good, easy book, this is most definitely the one I would recommend.
Chrysty uchiha
Danielle
Mar 20, 2012 Danielle rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Danielle by: no one
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)
  • Griffin's Castle
  • Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy
  • Saving Maddie
  • On Guard for Thee (War and Strife in 1812)
  • Liar Liar
  • Under the Cats Eye: A Tale of Morph and Mystery
  • The Greatest Discovery
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 5 (Chrono Crusade, #5)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • The Outlandish Companion, Volume Two: The Companion to The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, An Echo in the Bone, and Written in My Own Heart's Blood
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • Dark Promise (Underworld, #1)
  • The Traitor Game
  • The Yggyssey: How Iggy Wondered What Happened to All the Ghosts, Found Out Where TheyWent, and Went There
  • Brave the Betrayal (Everworld, #8)
  • Reluctant God
19564
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more
More about Neal Shusterman...
Unwind (Unwind, #1) UnWholly (Unwind, #2) Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) UnSouled (Unwind, #3) Bruiser